PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

I hope this is a good place for this question.

I am trying to make sure I understand the way "region-free" works with the PS3. I know it can play games from all over, but I thought I remembered that a game disc from one region could only use DLC from the PSN store of the region it came from. So for example if I import from Japan the Japaneses PSN, Hong Kong using Hong Kongs, PAL being Europe, etc.

That is actually another good question, is all or most of Europe on one Network or is it more country by country?

The last part of my question is the same as the dlc, but I was wondering if you could only do online multiplayer with the region your disc is based from?

And does this work the same for co-op, that you would both have to be from the same region to play with one another?

Sorry for all the questions and the Wall of Text and thank you to anyone who could share some knowledge with me : )

Dlc is tied to the region, and the multiplayer (from what I hear) is region locked on a case by case basis (cheapy talks about it occasionally on the podcast, recently complaining about region locked multiplayer on an NHL game).

Not sure about the other stuff.

i have a problem with my ps3 updating games. ive been having this problem since Dec. i cant seem to update my games. i can download games from psn store fine. its quick but when i update my game, it just stuck at 0%. can someone please help me?

Ok g uys I have a 250gb HD in my laptop that I no longer use and I want to use it in my ps3.
Now I need to format it to FAT32 right? Or does the ps3 automatically do it? How do I format it since it's an internal drive?

Is there a way to set the ps3 to automatically install minis and ps-one games after firmware 4.0? I replaced my drive unexpectedly and I've been having to manually install my psOne games and it's a chore.

My older 80 gig system has not much hard drive space left. My question is a external hdd can be used to store games on like dc universe until I want to play it? I want to get Plus but downloading games like Infamous 2 and others will not possible with hardly any space available.

[quote name='JCNY23']My older 80 gig system has not much hard drive space left. My question is a external hdd can be used to store games on like dc universe until I want to play it? I want to get Plus but downloading games like Infamous 2 and others will not possible with hardly any space available.[/QUOTE]

Not sure but highly doubt it

It'd simply go out and buy a bigger HDD - I managed to get a 500GB for $50 at Office Depot yesterday and could of gotten a 1TB drive for $66

[quote name='Mageshadow']Not sure but highly doubt it

It'd simply go out and buy a bigger HDD - I managed to get a 500GB for $50 at Office Depot yesterday and could of gotten a 1TB drive for $66[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I don't see the point in an external drive when getting a internal drive that is 5 times bigger would probably be cheaper and work far better.

Hey all. I just purchased an uncharted 3 slim bundle and it comes with a ps+ trial. Never had ps+ before. How does it work with a system that has multiple accounts? Does only one get to register or all (in regards to cloud saving and what not)? I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to plus.

Also, I've read that you can transfer the saves and other data from ps3 to ps3 via a ethernet cable? Which is better, more efficient, the cloud saving method or ethernet cable?

[quote name='macgruuber']Hey all. I just purchased an uncharted 3 slim bundle and it comes with a ps+ trial. Never had ps+ before. How does it work with a system that has multiple accounts? Does only one get to register or all (in regards to cloud saving and what not)? I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to plus. [/quote]

If it's on the system, all accounts on that system have access to the PS+ games, avatars, themes, etc. but not the cloud save feature. You can have up to 2 systems registered with your PS+ account. Note that a small number of games are restricted to only one user accessing it at a time (I'm sure this info is in the forums somewhere, the gameshare thread is probably one good place to search).

[quote name='macgruuber']Also, I've read that you can transfer the saves and other data from ps3 to ps3 via a ethernet cable? Which is better, more efficient, the cloud saving method or ethernet cable?[/QUOTE]

The ethernet cable data transfer is definitely preferred because it copies over everything: User profiles, videos, music, game data, save data, games, themes, etc. and in the least amount of time.

Using the cloud save feature will only back up save files (which is recommended anyway, it's a great feature especially for 'locked' saves).

I've had nothing but problems using the included backup/restore utility from the System menu, but it seems to work fine for some.

^^^Thank you for the response! That's kinda wack that both accounts can't utilize the cloud save, though I don't think my bro would even care about/use it. So the ethernet cable data transfer would even transfer locked saves too? Also, is there a possibility that the 30 day trial will be invalid, as the model I ordered is old, or is it just some prepaid type of thing?

[quote name='macgruuber']So the ethernet cable data transfer would even transfer locked saves too? Also, is there a possibility that the 30 day trial will be invalid, as the model I ordered is old, or is it just some prepaid type of thing?[/QUOTE]

Yep, the ethernet transfer will carry everything over including locked save files. It should take no more than a couple hours even if you have a couple hundred GB of data to move.

I don't know about the code expiring but if it doesn't have any date printed on it, should still be good for a while.

My PS3 suddenly decided it won't read games 80% of the time :(. I have to take the game out and put it back in multiple times to get the disc recognized. Once the disc shows up, then sometimes it will play ok and other times it will error out and I have to start all over again.

The PS3 starts up fine and all downloaded games (on the hard drive) work fine. It started with Borderlands 2 (pristine disc) but other discs also have the problem now. So it seems like a problem with the PS3 itself, maybe the lens or laser or something? Is there anything simple I can do? At this point I don't think sending it in makes sense (better just to buy a new one if I have to). I've never tried taking apart a console before but if this has a simple fix I guess I could try it....

Thanks for any help.

have you tried standing it up to see if that helps? On the older systems (like the PSone) this would happen when the laser on the disc drive would wear out and couldn't hold itself at the correct height.

So, standing it vertically did not help. I did find out it plays DVDs fine, and still plays everything on the harddrive fine. So I'm thinking it's a problem with either the lens/laser for BD or the BD drive? I guess I'll open it up and try cleaning the lens to see if that helps...

Here's a ridiculous question: Does anyone know of a way to split the PS3 signal and send it to 2 tv's? And, even if I could do this, is there a way to then split a splitscreen signal (i.e. Terreria) so that each tv gets it's own view? I have one of those smaller ps3 3d TV's so they'd be right next to each other. Crazy? or so crazy it might actually work?

i have a problem that my ps3 won't recognize that i have a disc in my disc drive the blue light blinks for couple seconds and then it turns off and it doesn't show that i have a disc inside. Can you guys help me ?

Does this whole backup/restore thing take this long? I bought a 1TB HDD to upgrade from a 400GB HDD I bought 4 years ago. It took a day to back up my data.

Ran the restore since last night. It was around 50ish percent before I left work. Thinking it was done, came back home about 20 minutes ago, it's now at 77%.

I'll just let it continue through the weekend if I have to...this is torture!!!

Edit: An hour passed and it's still stuck at 77% and 5 hours 47 minutes remaining. Is that bad?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've decided to start anew.

The restore got aborted and did a quick format. After that it kept freezing after downloading some games to install.

That's when I decided to do a full restore w/full format. Good thing I've deactivated my system before doing that, otherwise I lose another.

So far, everything is going great. The only thing that I lost is Medal of Honor Frontline since it's exclusive to the PS3 version of Medal of Honor.

For the record- you can remotely deactivate your systems via Qriocity now. I know it always looked like you could, but it actually works now. Limited to 1 time every 6 months. Unfortunately, I've done it twice.

Have a couple of noob questions that seem a bit specific. I did a brief look around here and didn't see anything that would help me, so i'll just ask them hoping some kind soul can answer. 

I'm intimately specific with how the 360 works, but have never owned a PS3 until this week. 

I have been living with my sister who has had a PS3, and i've been racking up content via my PS Plus account for the last 8 months or so. (I've also had a Vita for the last few months and enjoyed it).

I'm moving to my own place next week, and i DO understand how to put the new content on my new console. My overall questions are

1. Is it safe to leave my 'profile' on her PS3? I know on XBOX live, getting signed in from two locations at once is pretty much a bannable offense. I don't want to run afoul of PS3.

2. If that's a problem, is there any way to disable my account from her system while still leaving her with access to the games I downloaded on her system?

3. If those things aren't legit, whats the easiest way to delete my profile and content from her system without screwing up the other user account on there? 

Tore apart my slim to put on new thermal paste for the heck of it. The factory only put paste on 75% of the cell proc. The RSX was completely covered though.

Used Ceramique 2, halfway through the break in and the fan hasnt kicked on high yet. That includes 2-3 hour gaming sessions .

Take apart a ps3 slim and 360 slim and the xbox feels downright cheap. Their x clamp is stupid too.

I bought my 60 GB PS3 in September of last year and it has worked perfectly UNTIL I was watching Damages on Blu-Ray and the screen froze. I turned off the PS3, took out the disc and it seemed fine. However, since then the PS3 will not read any disc I put in (I have tried games, BRs, DVDs and PS2 games). I updated to 2.10, reset my system settings, unplugged the console, nothing works...I have sent an e-mail to Sony but has anyone had any similar issues???
Ironically, a Blu-Ray called Damages had to mess up your PS3. I brought the 60 gig PS3 over 3 years ago used from GameStop and upgraded the hard drive. It's in the bedroom and my wife uses it to watch DVDs. I game on it and watch 3d Blu rays on it too. I love this console but seriously I rather just use digital games on it to not screw up the disc tray just have to convince my wife that it can breakdown from playing movies on it.

Been using the PS3 daily, the fan still hasn't gone into high speed mode since the new paste. System is noticeably cooler to touch.

Are random freezes after adding a new hard drive a sure fire bad sign?  Just replaced mine with a backup / restore.  The restore process hung up with a few % left, then after rebooting it everything was there but I've gotten a freeze while downloading and once after trying to install a game with error 80029564.

Are other people's PS3s going through and automatic update this morning that is taking forever? It is telling if I press the O button I can go to the home menu while it is updating, however it won't let me do it. I even tried pressing the power button and the disc eject button and that won't respond. I am not sure if this is normal for an update or if I need to unplug the system because it is frozen. Help please

I Just want to say great job on this And Any Chance of a PS4 one Soon :)

I installed the 2.50 system update (or whatever number) and then tried to play Resistance 3 for the first time. It got through the game install but then froze while installing trophies. I forced the power off and after booting back up tried to launch the game and I just get a black screen. So now I'm trying to delete the game data and it is taking forever. I'm afraid to force the power off. There is no cancel option.

Should it take a long time? Has anyone else had problems installing a game (from disc) since the update? Deleting the data?

EDIT: deleting the data never finished and I had to force power off. Now I have game data that is listed as corrupted. I tried deleting it, but it never completed either. :( Now I'm reinstalling Resistance 3, but am afraid to actually launch it.

What can I do about the corrupted game data that I guess is taking up space? Is there any way to force delete it?

EDIT2: the second install worked without a hitch, but I still have a corrupted data for the previous attempt that I can't delete.

Hey guys i wanna ask about how long it take to deactivate a psn account from sonyentertainmentnetwork again ? i know its 6 months but i try it now but not working i'm sure i spent 6 months so how long it takes exactly

thanks

So, my quest for the cheap ass prices in game brough me here to ask some questions to anyone who can help.

As you guys know, different regions have different Playstation Store content, and many of us playstation users in the world have to create more than one account, for the different regions, to get content that is missing in our local store. Even Shuhei Yoshida himself said he has 3 accounts for Japan, Europe and North America.

The problem is, most of us don't have more than one adress which leads us to create fake adresses to make those extra accounts.
Maybe Mr. Yoshida has all those adresses but we don't. I never heard of anyone being banned for having  those accounts but fake register information is against the Terms and Conditions, isn't it?

As an european i pay a lot more for games than americans. In North America games cost 59.99 dollars which is something like 43 euros in Europe. Games here cost 69.99 euros... more than 80$. So i was thinking in make my main PS4 account for playing, a U.S. or canadian account. Buying those psn $ cards i will have no problems in purchasing stuff. The only problem is my european ip everytime i login in.  don't know if they will spot me and ban me since i don't have an american adress and i will have to figure out one. 
Also, i might share those games with a friend.

I could make the account my main account for playing and making his system the primary system for the account or i could only use american accounts to buy stuff and keep my european account for gaming using the phantom/resell trick for the share. Using the phantom/resell trick If they ban the account that has the fake adress i would still have my account and if i make that account my main account, if it gets banned i will lose all my trophies and stuff.

Also, when a host account gets banned, does the content get blocked even using other accounts to play it?
What do you guys think about all those questions and have you guys any advice for me to get games cheaper?

Thanks.

EDIT: I'm realising, i'm being to paranoic about this. Sorry.

I don't know what the phantom/resell trick is, nor do I want to know, but they're not going to ban anybody over false addresses on foreign accounts. Just be sure to write down all of the information you use for that account, just in case something happens and you need it to get the account back, and you'll be fine.

Q: Is the fine print and expiration dates of PSN vouchers like HD Collections ignorable? I've gone through half a dozen codes that supposedly expired earlier this year and so far I've been able to redeem all of them. Did Sony PlayStation do away with expiration dates?

Question about installing PSN games on more than one PS3. Can I install, for example, Terraria on my nephews PS3 and then if at some future date we get a 2nd PS3, can I be the mean uncle and take it back off and then put it on our 2nd one? :) I.e. is there a way to de-authorize one PS3 and then authorize another, or whatever the terms are?

Q: Is the fine print and expiration dates of PSN vouchers like HD Collections ignorable? I've gone through half a dozen codes that supposedly expired earlier this year and so far I've been able to redeem all of them. Did Sony PlayStation do away with expiration dates?
They did mean something. Many of those codes did in fact expire when they said but then Sony extended them through a later date. You should be able to find a particular game and the new date with a google search.

Question about installing PSN games on more than one PS3. Can I install, for example, Terraria on my nephews PS3 and then if at some future date we get a 2nd PS3, can I be the mean uncle and take it back off and then put it on our 2nd one? :) I.e. is there a way to de-authorize one PS3 and then authorize another, or whatever the terms are?
I have read there is a web page where you can kick out a particular PS3 so you can install it on another one. I have not actually done it myself, but it is supposed to exist.

Does anyone have a good suggestion to a mono headset in the spirit of the 360 headset? I've looked online but it seems most 3.5mm headsets have a really long cable which I don't want as the controller is on going to be two feet away from my head. My other main concerns are comfort and max volume. My left ear is not that great at hearing. Thanks.

How do you like it?

Also, I found out something recently and I think it's worth mentioning. If you are having audio problems with your PS3, try swapping HDMI inputs and/or the HDMI cable. We were having a problems with the audio periodically dropping out for just an instant. It was mildly annoying until I tried to play a rhythm game (Retro/Grade) and then it was really irritating. Audio hiccups. I swapped both the cable and the HDMI port (switched with the 360) and the problems went away. The PS3 seems to be finicky.

I'm trying it out right now with different settings and games ps4 and bf4 and some of my other games and I'll compare it to my astro a50s.

bread's done
Back