PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

i'm thinking about getting a ps3 here soon. is there any difference with the newer hardware packages? i see there is the regular 80gb for 399, and a drake's fortune pack, 160gb for 449.99. also, bestbuy still has an 80gb pack wit little biog planet and wall-e.

do all these have the same hardware? same chip revision as well as no ps2 compatibility?

also, any chance of the slim model coming out? should i hold off for it? thanks.

Question about BACKING UP PS3:

Can I back up my PS3 to an external HDD, and then take whatever data it creates and copy it to my PC for "safekeeping" in case my PS3 HDD crashes? Just curious how that works. I never tried it, but I just got a cheap 320GB USB drive,wondering if it is worth the effort to back it up.

Thanks.

Can you do it over a network or anything? That would be handy since I'd never have a FAT formated hard drive...and for that matter all my drives are encrypted.

[quote name='orntar']i'm thinking about getting a ps3 here soon. is there any difference with the newer hardware packages? i see there is the regular 80gb for 399, and a drake's fortune pack, 160gb for 449.99. also, bestbuy still has an 80gb pack wit little biog planet and wall-e.

do all these have the same hardware? same chip revision as well as no ps2 compatibility?

also, any chance of the slim model coming out? should i hold off for it? thanks.[/QUOTE]
Probably all the same hardware, although there is the possibility that you may get newer hardware if you get an 80 gb instead of a 160 gb, since the former sells a lot more whereas the 160's could have been sitting in retail for a long time. A bundle could or could not be newer than a core 80gb, but it's ymmv because some of the bundles at places are just 80gb they have not sold they have a sticker slapped on the box and the games thrown in. I'd check wikipedia for any info regarding dates of chip revisions. Core 80gb no bc, 160gb no bc, 80gb bundles no bc except the MGS one from june 08 (not any newer MGS bundles). There is the chance of the slim or price drop. I can't say if you should wait personally. If you have something else to play in the meantime then I'd wait until TGS. If you are dying for a PS3 then I wouldn't wait.

With the Slim coming out, I'm going to sell my PS3. A couple questions:

How do I go about backing up my stuff on my current system? What do I need to exactly back up? Once it's backed up, how do I get it on to the new system?

What about PSN games I bought? Will I have to download them again?

I have the 80GB version that is BC. How much could I get for it? I was going to post it on CL.

Is there anything else I need to know?

Hi guys... i have some games to trade
Add me on MSN: [email protected]
:lol:
They are:
- Marvel X Campcom 2
-Fat Princess
-Battlefield 1943
-Bornout Paradise
-Pain + Amusement Park
-Worms -Crash Commando
-Ratchet e Clank Future quest
-Burn Zombie Burn
-Street Figther puzzle Hd
-Street Figther turmo Hd
-Castlevania
-Trash Panic
-Junk Pixel Monsters
-Bowling Boliche
-Rag doll Fu
-Calling all cars

Thats it

[quote name='Blackout']With the Slim coming out, I'm going to sell my PS3. A couple questions:

How do I go about backing up my stuff on my current system? What do I need to exactly back up? Once it's backed up, how do I get it on to the new system?

What about PSN games I bought? Will I have to download them again?

I have the 80GB version that is BC. How much could I get for it? I was going to post it on CL.

Is there anything else I need to know?[/QUOTE]

Not sure about backing stuff up or if you'll have to redownload stuff. At least some saves you could copy to a memory card. Most important thing is to remember to deauthorize it first, so you don't lose an activation (not to mention don't give someone else access to your account).

[quote name='Wolfpup']Not sure about backing stuff up or if you'll have to redownload stuff. At least some saves you could copy to a memory card. Most important thing is to remember to deauthorize it first, so you don't lose an activation (not to mention don't give someone else access to your account).
[/QUOTE]
This is the first time I've seen this mentioned anywhere, and it's probably one of the most important things you could do. TY.

I think he means like when you purchase games on PSN you're only allowed like 5 activations for them. I don't know if that extends to dlc.

When you do Folding at Home/Life with Playstation and it shows that map with all the lights on the Earth is that people who are doing Folding at Home at the same time or is it just people who are using their PS3 online?

disclaimer: i havent searched the previous pages.

ive been these 800203xxx error when i try to send a PM on PSN. today i found out that the problem comes from using the predictive text. i usually send out the same message to multiple people. the first one goes through. but the ones after i get the error. has this happened to anyone else? and any suggestions?

i would hate to type a fucking new message on the controller everytime.

[quote name='Blackout']What do you mean by lose an activation?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='J7.']I think he means like when you purchase games on PSN you're only allowed like 5 activations for them. I don't know if that extends to dlc.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, like if you don't deactivate first, you've forever lost one of those 5 slots. Bad thing is if the system dies to the point where you CAN'T deactivate it :whistle2:/

Question...

I have two divx files won't play properly on the PS3 (most other files played fine). The two that having problem have distorted sound and no sound. The thing is, the divx files play fine on the computer (divx player or the vlc player). So, what seems to be the problem for the PS3? Thanks!

EDIT:

Since the PS3 already plays divx files, is there any point registering it to play DIVX/VOB?

http://support.divx.com/faq/view/supportFAQen107/video_tutorials_-_other?id=0

are they mkv files? i guess they arent because they somewhat play on the ps3. the sound issue sounds likes a timing issue. i remember reading somewhere theres a program that you have retune them. but im no expert and have forgotten most of what i read. lol.

good luck.

you could always tversity to the ps3.

It's possible the audio codec isn't compatible or there's an error in the file that the PC decoder can get around but the PS3 can't, or I could just be talking out my ass.

[quote name='enufs8d']disclaimer: i havent searched the previous pages.

ive been these 800203xxx error when i try to send a PM on PSN. today i found out that the problem comes from using the predictive text. i usually send out the same message to multiple people. the first one goes through. but the ones after i get the error. has this happened to anyone else? and any suggestions?

i would hate to type a fucking new message on the controller everytime.[/QUOTE]

Are you sending out the message with multiple PSN friends listed on the 'to' list?

As for sending the same message and having to type it multiple times, just plug in a USB keyboard, since that helps make things ALOT faster.

Which offers better backwards compatibility? The 60 GB model or 20 GB? Or does it matter? I read in Wikipedia that the BC got progressively worse with each new system release, but I have yet to find any concrete info. The FAQ in this topic just says they are both BC and doesn't mention specifics.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Which offers better backwards compatibility? The 60 GB model or 20 GB? Or does it matter? I read in Wikipedia that the BC got progressively worse with each new system release, but I have yet to find any concrete info. The FAQ in this topic just says they are both BC and doesn't mention specifics.[/QUOTE]

The 60 and 20GB models are 100% identical, and are the best.

The 80GB Metal Gear Solid 4, and Motorstorm bundles are worse-said to be roughly 80% compatibility. I have an MGS4 bundle one, and so far have had no BC issues, though I haven't used it TONS for that (but have played through several full games with it).

The MGS4 80GB model has the advantage of using a 65nm CPU, which if nothing else uses somewhat less power.

Everything else has NO PS2 compatibility at ALL. So there's really only two levels. The launch units, and those two bundles (or none whatsoever).

There's also a 40GB Metal Gear Solid system in "gunmetal grey", that does NOT have backwards compatibility (has to be the black 80GB MGS4 bundle).

[quote name='Wolfpup']The 60 and 20GB models are 100% identical, and are the best.

The 80GB Metal Gear Solid 4, and Motorstorm bundles are worse-said to be roughly 80% compatibility. I have an MGS4 bundle one, and so far have had no BC issues, though I haven't used it TONS for that (but have played through several full games with it).

The MGS4 80GB model has the advantage of using a 65nm CPU, which if nothing else uses somewhat less power.

Everything else has NO PS2 compatibility at ALL. So there's really only two levels. The launch units, and those two bundles (or none whatsoever).

There's also a 40GB Metal Gear Solid system in "gunmetal grey", that does NOT have backwards compatibility (has to be the black 80GB MGS4 bundle).[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'll probably try to hunt down a used 60 or 20 model then.

I didn't know if this was the appropriate thread or not to post this in, but they put a dynamic theme up for Little Big Planet on the store. It's pretty interesting. It's basically just Sackboy running on Little Big Planet and the screen changes to reflect the time of day(when I was playing last night, it had not only Sackboy running but the moon and stars out on the screen).

Of course, I want to be able to create a Japanese PSN account, so I can get the Afrika theme on my PS3.

Only thing I've noticed is, when you exit out of a game, the screen turns grey for 2 seconds or so before the dynamic theme shows up.

When upgrading your HDD will your PSN games transfer over to an external hard drive if you've already maxed out your 5 shares via a gameshare?

I *think* that won't be an issue, as it's tied to your console, not the hard drive.

I'm still pretty sure this "gameshare" stuff is illegal though...

[quote name='JMEPO']When upgrading your HDD will your PSN games transfer over to an external hard drive if you've already maxed out your 5 shares via a gameshare?[/QUOTE]

Yea- the back-up isn't effected by the number of shares you have used.

Just to be safe, you may want to deactivate the PSN accounts on the system before upgrading- that way you don't have to worry about losing any slots.

Hi Everyone..

please help. my ps3 just shut down last night while playing Proevolution Soccer 2008, the red light is still on so when i press the on/off button it switches on for a couple of seconds and switches off again. it won’t even eject the disc inside.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I *think* that won't be an issue, as it's tied to your console, not the hard drive.

I'm still pretty sure this "gameshare" stuff is illegal though...[/QUOTE]

Sigh, i can't believe some people are still tied up with that crap ("game sharing" is illegal). Why can't people just enjoy the feature as a privilege? If you buy a game from PSN and if you have more than one PS3 (i have two and soon will get another slim for the basement), does it make any sense to buy the same game twice or three times? No! Granted that on CAG, we don't share the game as Sony's initial intention. However, in a nutshell, it's just another web of gamers sharing similar interests (instead of spreading the games among their own PS3s, they just spread the games across the PS3 community).

There are pros and cons to the PS3 account design, but one of the best thing about it is that, once you setup your account on a friend's PS3, you can earn trophies and stats from playing games on his/her PS3 without bring your PS3 to his/her house (vice versa). In the Xbox world, you have bring your hdd to do that (it's not a terrible thing, but i prefer not have to bring anything). There's nothing wrong with login as guest or even your friend's account, but we all know that as an avid gamer, you want your own space, your own saves, your own scores, your own achievements/trophies. This is another reason why game sharing is cool and Sony is not stupid, that's why there's a max of five sharing accounts.

As to backing up the PS3's hdd, i don't recommend a full backup just for the sake of backing up data (i.e. you're not upgrading the hdd). You just need to backup the saves (unfortunately not all saves can be backed up though). The PSN games themselves can be always re-downloaded. This should save you a lot of time when backing up game data (not the game themselves). Of course, if your PS3 has other stuff like pictures, musics and personal videos, then it's a different story...

But if you do backup the entire thing, the backup doesn't take up any sharing slots, it has nothing to do with sharing at all. However, if you ever restore a backup, some of the accounts might need to be reactivated (under management, reactivate account). As i posted earlier (posts a while back when i upgraded to 500gb), some shared games don't work even the status says activated after restoring a backup. What you need to do is to deactivate the account and then reactivate it again (like a light switch). I have no problems with my shared games.

[quote name='pattinsonrobert']Hi Everyone..

please help. my ps3 just shut down last night while playing Proevolution Soccer 2008, the red light is still on so when i press the on/off button it switches on for a couple of seconds and switches off again. it won’t even eject the disc inside.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, i hope it's not broken... try this, if the disc is still inside, press the Eject button instead of the Power button.

I'm sorry if this has been asked. But I was wondering if the PSN Codes released in the us (DLC pre-order bonuses, and MVC2 LE mainly) will work on PAL (Australian) consoles?

I tried to google it, but finding the exact verbiage is kinda hard.

Is there any easy way to sign up for a Jap account? I am having a hard time trying to sign up since I don't understand there language.

[quote name='Bezerker']I'm sorry if this has been asked. But I was wondering if the PSN Codes released in the us (DLC pre-order bonuses, and MVC2 LE mainly) will work on PAL (Australian) consoles?

I tried to google it, but finding the exact verbiage is kinda hard.[/QUOTE]
Yes, with a US account.

[quote name='KILLER1212']Is there any easy way to sign up for a Jap account? I am having a hard time trying to sign up since I don't understand there language.[/QUOTE]
Search for "Japanese PSN Account Walkthrough" on Youtube and there should be a video to help you out.

I recently bought Infamous and since I've been playing though it, I've enjoyed screen tearing, and some polygon pop in... usually its long Grey rectangles. The only other game that gave me this problem (but to a much smaller degree) was prince of persia; a long polygon line that would protrude from the female character's face. Is this my GPU telling me he needs to be laid to rest? As far as I can see most of my other games work fine its just these two.

I tried to download the free episode of Community off the PSN store earlier today, but when I went to download the episode it said that I couldn't because I already had a PS3 activated on my account, and I'd have to deactivate it in order to download videos from the PSN store.

I guess the precursor to this is that I recently had to send my PS3 in for repairs due to the Yellow Light of Death, so I never had a chance to backup my hard drive or deactivate my old system (they sent me a refurbished system back). Is there any way I can fix this, or am I essentially screwed from ever downloading videos from the PSN store (with my original account, anyway)? I'm not really that worried as I hardly ever download any videos off of the store (I just thought I'd do this to try it out as opposed to watching it on Hulu or getting it via torrent), but I'd prefer to be able to take advantage of all the features the system offers.

[quote name='Thomas96']I recently bought Infamous and since I've been playing though it, I've enjoyed screen tearing, and some polygon pop in... usually its long Grey rectangles. The only other game that gave me this problem (but to a much smaller degree) was prince of persia; a long polygon line that would protrude from the female character's face. Is this my GPU telling me he needs to be laid to rest? As far as I can see most of my other games work fine its just these two.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that sounds like a hardware problem to me...probably a semi-tame one, considering it's only showing up in those two places, but both of those games look really good and don't have any bugs like that.

[quote name='Rockgamer']I tried to download the free episode of Community off the PSN store earlier today, but when I went to download the episode it said that I couldn't because I already had a PS3 activated on my account, and I'd have to deactivate it in order to download videos from the PSN store.

I guess the precursor to this is that I recently had to send my PS3 in for repairs due to the Yellow Light of Death, so I never had a chance to backup my hard drive or deactivate my old system (they sent me a refurbished system back). Is there any way I can fix this, or am I essentially screwed from ever downloading videos from the PSN store (with my original account, anyway)? I'm not really that worried as I hardly ever download any videos off of the store (I just thought I'd do this to try it out as opposed to watching it on Hulu or getting it via torrent), but I'd prefer to be able to take advantage of all the features the system offers.[/QUOTE]
You could probably call Sony, explaining the situation, and see if they'll deactivate your account the PS3, assuming you didn't do tha before sending it in.

What would probably be easier is to just create a new user and PSN account to download anything your normal account gives you issues with.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yeah, that sounds like a hardware problem to me...probably a semi-tame one, considering it's only showing up in those two places, but both of those games look really good and don't have any bugs like that.[/QUOTE]

i cant enjoy the games with that stupid pop up. damn what am I going to play while the ps3 is gone?! Gonna back up my hard drive and get ready to send it off... I know that it should be easy now, no holiday rush. I feel like I should wait until its totally broken, but might as well take care of it now... i guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mattrobertsjr']I had a question , could you use your dualshock controller on a laptop?[/QUOTE]

you sure can... i've done so for years. wit gens, and snes9x. - a pure joy

[quote name='Thomas96']you sure can... i've done so for years. wit gens, and snes9x. - a pure joy[/QUOTE]

do you have to download a program file to make it work or how did you make yours work.

I had to download the driver for it.. each time I use it, I have to run the driver program... its an .exe file then from there other programs will recognize it.

[quote name='Thomas96']I had to download the driver for it.. each time I use it, I have to run the driver program... its an .exe file then from there other programs will recognize it.[/QUOTE]

can you link me to the driver program you use ?

[quote name='kube00']I cant connect to the psn I get 80024548 error, Ive tried resetting my ps3 to factory setting, I reset my router, re-did my wireless, etc, manually entered DNS/IP, opened ports, I cant get a wireless or wired connection

I have a Linksys wrt54g...

*Edit

From the ps3 boards it seems its down for everyone some sort of maint
http://boardsus.playstation.com/pla...read.id=485122&view=by_date_ascending&page=21[/QUOTE]

I don't want to jump to conclusions but I had a linksys wrt110 and i was having problems connecting, I looked up the problem w/ other users, and someone said... that they bought a new router.. I took that advice. My PS3 would not work well with the Linksys router... I bought a netgear router and its been working great.

I just got the PS3 Slim. When I had the FAT I was using wireless, but that was too slow so I want to go with a wired connection. Is there a certain type of ethernet cable I need? I tried putting a spare I had laying around and it didn't fit into the space.

[quote name='Blackout']I just got the PS3 Slim. When I had the FAT I was using wireless, but that was too slow so I want to go with a wired connection. Is there a certain type of ethernet cable I need? I tried putting a spare I had laying around and it didn't fit into the space.[/QUOTE]

Ethernet cables all use the same standard end, maybe try again.

[quote name='Blackout']I just got the PS3 Slim. When I had the FAT I was using wireless, but that was too slow so I want to go with a wired connection. Is there a certain type of ethernet cable I need? I tried putting a spare I had laying around and it didn't fit into the space.[/QUOTE]
Are you sure you weren't trying this during one of your blackouts :lol:. Just kidding. Any standard ethernet cable will fit.

[quote name='orntar']Ethernet cables all use the same standard end, maybe try again.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='J7.']Are you sure you weren't trying this during one of your blackouts :lol:. Just kidding. Any standard ethernet cable will fit.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha. Upon further inspection it turns out I was using something that plugs into phones. I'm an idiot. All this gaming is making my eyes go bad. :D Thanks guys. I'll try to find an ethernet cable somewhere.

bread's done
Back