PSN has returned. What freebie games are you getting?

[quote name='lokizz']but once we do , finally, get online how will we be able to get the free stuff? isnt the actual psn store going to be the last thing to come back online and wasnt it said to be coming towards the end of the month?[/QUOTE]That's the jest of it...

I know that allot of people have codes to redeem (MK online play pass, etc) and I myself have a SOCOM 4 code to redeem but I'm sort of hoping the store doesn't come back up till after the 29th of May...

The only thing I want from my one month of PS+ is the Uncharted 3 MP beta... and that's pretty much the only way I'm going to get it Day 1 as I'm not giving Sony any money for it.

Warning, no one read the following spoiler unless you like reading the inane ramblings of a 16 year old high on boredom and Dr. Pepper at 1 in the morning.

(please read in a Cave Johnson voice for best effect)

Every year from April 20th to May 6th, in memoriam of the great PSN outage of 2011, For 16 days all Ps3 gamers will unplug their ethernet cables or turn off their wireless modems, sit down in front of their TVs, wireless controller in hand, and play through their backlogs, fondly remembering the days before online capability and enjoying their game's single player campaign whilst talking on the phone to their friends, who are doing the same from across town/state/country/galaxy. Let them remember the cruelness and suffering of those who played against them online, winning or losing, and take a deep breath of relief.
Knowing they are safe from the $$$$$$ry and confusion of being the only one on your team in Uncharted 2 Multiplayer who speaks English, from being the the one man who's always being gunned down by your teammates just for the shits and giggles, and thinking "Hey, who needs them to have fun?" as you go about playing your game at your own pace, not caring about the Trophies or console wars. Going back to the roots of true gaming and simply... well... I think you get the point. :joystick:

lol anticlimactic ending xD

[quote name='Oaxan']Warning, no one read the following spoiler unless you like reading the inane ramblings of a 16 year old high on boredom and Dr. Pepper at 1 in the morning.

(please read in a Cave Johnson voice for best effect)

Every year from April 20th to May 6th, in memoriam of the great PSN outage of 2011, For 16 days all Ps3 gamers will unplug their ethernet cables or turn off their wireless modems, sit down in front of their TVs, wireless controller in hand, and play through their backlogs, fondly remembering the days before online capability and enjoying their game's single player campaign whilst talking on the phone to their friends, who are doing the same from across town/state/country/galaxy. Let them remember the cruelness and suffering of those who played against them online, winning or losing, and take a deep breath of relief.
Knowing they are safe from the $$$$$$ry and confusion of being the only one on your team in Uncharted 2 Multiplayer who speaks English, from being the the one man who's always being gunned down by your teammates just for the shits and giggles, and thinking "Hey, who needs them to have fun?" as you go about playing your game at your own pace, not caring about the Trophies or console wars. Going back to the roots of true gaming and simply... well... I think you get the point. :joystick:

lol anticlimactic ending xD
[/QUOTE]

Bravo! :: belly clap ::

Dear Sony,

What is the hold up? Please put the hamster back on the wheel that keeps the servers up and running and also protects all our private info and credit card data.

the hold up is they had to rebuild the entire psn. im sure that isnt something that can be done in a week. or maybe they did it in a week last time and thats why it got hacked.

i just want it up by the 10th so i can play brink.

Oddly enough since PSN has been down I haven't wanted to touch a single game on my PS3 even though I mostly play single-player games on it other than SOCOM and Portal 2 most recently. Don't ask me why but maybe it's some subconscious stigma or disappointment with Sony but I just can't seem to bring myself to do it.

[quote name='woodcan']Oddly enough since PSN has been down I haven't wanted to touch a single game on my PS3 even though I mostly play single-player games on it other than SOCOM and Portal 2 most recently. Don't ask me why but maybe it's some subconscious stigma or disappointment with Sony but I just can't seem to bring myself to do it.[/QUOTE]

Same here. My backlog consists of primarily single player games... yet I have little desire to even turn the system on. It just feels broken... and/or cursed.

And to answer the question "What comes sooner, PSN or Duke Nukem Forever?"

PlayStation 8.

[quote name='8bitArtist']the hold up is they had to rebuild the entire psn. im sure that isnt something that can be done in a week. or maybe they did it in a week last time and thats why it got hacked.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I realize that, I was shooting for some sarcasm there making light of the situation. I am also losing the will to turn on my PS3 even with some new single player games to start, the system just feels lacking without the network.

I'm sort of glad it chose to go down for this time. It really helped me focus on studying for my finals, and it should be up by the time they are all done.

My credit card info that was on my PSN account has fraud charges now! WTF!!

I've already cancelled and called transunion. Hope this stuff doesnt get out of hand. Everyone should check their CC accounts, the charges didn't start until yesterday.

[quote name='typikal82']My credit card info that was on my PSN account has fraud charges now! WTF!!

I've already cancelled and called transunion. Hope this stuff doesnt get out of hand. Everyone should check their CC accounts, the charges didn't start until yesterday.[/QUOTE]

Why did you not cancel the card last week?

[quote name='mwynn']Why did you not cancel the card last week?[/QUOTE]

HAHA, I was staying away from that post with a ten foot pole. LOL.

[quote name='Fuzi0n']I just want to register my steam copy of Portal 2! Is that so much to ask :([/QUOTE]
You, me, and thousands of other customers too. For fucks sakes Sony, how much longer do we have to wait?

im glad im not the only one in the getting tired of the ps3 category. im getting tired of playing sp games i want to be able to play mp already. my patience is really running thin at this point and their vague guesstimations at when psn will be back up are really pissing me off.

if they cant do it this week then they need to fucking say so already and not keep leading their customers on and pissing them off. the longer this shit continues the more they better give out for free. were nearing a month already with psn down.

[quote name='lokizz'] were nearing a month already with psn down.[/QUOTE]

What? It's been 14 days (see thread title). Less than half a month, unless it's Feb in a non-leap year.

I was hoping it would be back on last Tuesday at 11Pm (my panda express fortune cookie said "PSN will be back on Tuesday 11PM Pacific time try our walnut shrimp for 2.99!") I have been playing my PS2 part of my PS3 playing some Choro Q, Resident Evil Code Veronica EX and DDRMAX (on my uncles PS2 since the PS3 doesnt support the PS mat inputs). I have also put time into my psn games (non online required ones) like alien breed 2, Scott Pilgrim, Megaman 10 (hard as Fudge) and qlione. I am getting kinda annoyed on the wait I know I shouldn't but it feels like I'm dating a chick who seems she will never put out after a year of being together and playing offline games. Hopefully things get back soon maybe by friday night when I'm drunk playing.

[quote name='typikal82']My credit card info that was on my PSN account has fraud charges now! WTF!!

I've already cancelled and called transunion. Hope this stuff doesnt get out of hand. Everyone should check their CC accounts, the charges didn't start until yesterday.[/QUOTE]

Details?! Amount charged... name of location?

Have yet to close my cards... simply because I can't remember if my card was listed and/or which card I would have listed. I have like five cards.

[quote name='Backlash']What? It's been 14 days (see thread title). Less than half a month, unless it's Feb in a non-leap year.[/QUOTE]

you do know what nearing meamns right? doesnt mean it is it means its getting there.

I shouldn't worry about my credit card getting jacked because I wiped out my info after I used it, unless it magically stays on PSN's servers from past transactions.

The only thing they should have is my PSN password

[quote name='lokizz']you do know what nearing meamns right? doesnt mean it is it means its getting there.[/QUOTE]

Ugh, I'm nearing 70 then :(
I'm actually 33

[quote name='lokizz']you do know what nearing meamns right? doesnt mean it is it means its getting there.[/QUOTE]

I think the point is most people wouldn't consider less than half an amount nearing said amount. So 2 weeks isn't really nearing 4 and 1/2 weeks.

[quote name='cliqueatnightvandal']I think the point is most people wouldn't consider less than half an amount nearing said amount. So 2 weeks isn't really nearing 4 and 1/2 weeks.[/QUOTE]

its been down over 2 weeks already. hence for me nearing. anway sony still needs to let people know wtf is going on.

[quote name='Backlash']What? It's been 14 days (see thread title). Less than half a month, unless it's Feb in a non-leap year.[/QUOTE]

Well, technically, the thread title is a bit off. This is direct from Sony:

"We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network."

They officially turned off the Network on April 20, so today has been 16 days at least of "working around the clock" to fix the problem and get the network back up...

[quote name='cliqueatnightvandal']I think the point is most people wouldn't consider less than half an amount nearing said amount. So 2 weeks isn't really nearing 4 and 1/2 weeks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that was my point.

[quote name='lokizz']anway sony still needs to let people know wtf is going on[/quote]

Yes. Daily updates would be nice, even if they don't have a lot of new info.

yeah, it seems as if Sony PR has gone dark. I haven't even bothered to check the PS Blog, but all the new sites have given up hope it seems on it coming back 'any-time' now. I guess we're in this for the long haul.

Aside from the major credit card issues and trust issues, one of the bigger things I'm worried about, and I don't know how in depth you guys discussed this, but I expect something major-ly funky to happen with the trophies. I mean, if they really did 'start over' I bet the code gets screwed up or somehow can't carry over. Sony 'apologizes' and doesn't really care that everyone was reset to zero. OR, my other hypothesis is that all trophies earned during the down time won't sync and will have to be gotten again.

NOW, before you start slamming that keyboard at me, I know Sony said not to worry about trophies, but still, I bet a worst case scenario for trophies is definitely possible at this point (I mean, after all, its all system based code, server side. there is no data file on your machine (?))..or maybe I'm just reading too much into things..

[quote name='AdmrlBalls']Well, technically, the thread title is a bit off. This is direct from Sony:

"We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network."

They officially turned off the Network on April 20, so today has been 16 days at least of "working around the clock" to fix the problem and get the network back up...[/QUOTE]

Actually, I don't think they turned it off 'till the 21st 'cause I remember playing co-op with a friend on Wednesday(20th), then it died sometime around 2 am Thursday.

I just wish Sony hadn't actually said it would come up this week. Now I'm constantly checking message boards to see if anybody can sign in yet while I'm at work. At home I'm playing, so I don't care, but at work I'm checking.

[quote name='token2k6']yeah, it seems as if Sony PR has gone dark. I haven't even bothered to check the PS Blog, but all the new sites have given up hope it seems on it coming back 'any-time' now. I guess we're in this for the long haul.

Aside from the major credit card issues and trust issues, one of the bigger things I'm worried about, and I don't know how in depth you guys discussed this, but I expect something major-ly funky to happen with the trophies. I mean, if they really did 'start over' I bet the code gets screwed up or somehow can't carry over. Sony 'apologizes' and doesn't really care that everyone was reset to zero. OR, my other hypothesis is that all trophies earned during the down time won't sync and will have to be gotten again.

NOW, before you start slamming that keyboard at me, I know Sony said not to worry about trophies, but still, I bet a worst case scenario for trophies is definitely possible at this point (I mean, after all, its all system based code, server side. there is no data file on your machine (?))..or maybe I'm just reading too much into things..[/QUOTE]

I wasn't scared until now. I want my trophies :(

I wonder how they are going to deal with giving everyone access to their accounts back? Reset passwords and email temporary passwords to the email address on file? They wouldn't want to just make everyone's accounts active again with the stolen username/passwords.

If you haven't done so already you might want to make sure your email account password is different then what you used for any of Sony's services.

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't trophies attached to your console as well as PSN? So even if the information is lost on the PSN, your own console will still have the data no matter what.

[quote name='jaydepps']Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't trophies attached to your console as well as PSN? So even if the information is lost on the PSN, your own console will still have the data no matter what.[/QUOTE]

yep as long as your ps3 doesnt die you should be ok trophy wise since all youd need to do is sync up to the server to upload your trophy data from your ps3. thats how i was able to keep my ac2 trophies even when i couldnt transfer my game save over to a new ps3. sucks too since i was interested in the dlc.

I bought the 45 dollar 2 year warrany right before this happened. If my ps3 keeps breaking over and over will they give me a new one, and do they add days to your warranty since they will take like 2 weeks go get the ps3 back to me? My first ps3 died after only 15 months due to massive amounts of online gaming.

[quote name='pjarvi']I wonder how they are going to deal with giving everyone access to their accounts back? Reset passwords and email temporary passwords to the email address on file? They wouldn't want to just make everyone's accounts active again with the stolen username/passwords.

If you haven't done so already you might want to make sure your email account password is different then what you used for any of Sony's services.[/QUOTE]

If your PSN account is already activated on your console, they will allow you to change your password on the console. This should be for like 99% of the people. For few who deactivates for whatever reason, they need to use email confirmation.

[quote name='2DMention']I shouldn't worry about my credit card getting jacked because I wiped out my info after I used it, unless it magically stays on PSN's servers from past transactions.

The only thing they should have is my PSN password[/QUOTE]
Part of the issue that was brought up in the House Committee yesterday and was in an article at least on the SOE part of the breach was the fact that they kept old credit card data as well as current.

[quote name='woodcan']Part of the issue that was brought up in the House Committee yesterday and was in an article at least on the SOE part of the breach was the fact that they kept old credit card data as well as current.[/QUOTE]

Don't a number of places keep old CC data. I had a CC that I switched out charged. . . somewhere. I had to make so calls on that one. I however from that experience and knowing people figured companies kept old data that they knew was good in case something happened with the new card or some such.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']Details?! Amount charged... name of location?

Have yet to close my cards... simply because I can't remember if my card was listed and/or which card I would have listed. I have like five cards.[/QUOTE]

about 400 worth

first charges were to online flower shops, then some phone unlocking site, then gas

the credit has already been reissued by my bank and a new card is on the way, but someone posing as me or using my info to open an account is a bigger concern.

i was as naive as you are right now. "they stole my info? little ol nobody me? theyll never use it...."

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Actually, I don't think they turned it off 'till the 21st 'cause I remember playing co-op with a friend on Wednesday(20th), then it died sometime around 2 am Thursday.
[/QUOTE]

It could still have been the 20th somewhere else because they're in a different time zone.

I wish CC companies would allow you to setup up single use or limited use numbers that are associated to your account.

Lets say I have a CC and want to use it for PSN, I would go online sign into my account and create a limited use CC number that only works with PSN and if I choose for a set max amount in a time period. If someone stole that data they could get nothing as the number would not be valid when used anywhere other than the PSN store and only then for a few dollars before it was realized the number was stolen. Could have a unique number for each online retailer you use often all pulling money from your main account. Imagine a account page showing various CC numbers and being able to set amounts that each number could use. PSN number $xx a week, Gohastings number $xx a month, target $xx one time, etc.

I know there are similar solutions such as buying PSN cards on amazon but a universal solution like that would be awesome I think and secure if a number gets compromised.

[quote name='iwannadie']I wish CC companies would allow you to setup up single use or limited use numbers that are associated to your account.

Lets say I have a CC and want to use it for PSN, I would go online sign into my account and create a limited use CC number that only works with PSN and if I choose for a set max amount in a time period. If someone stole that data they could get nothing as the number would not be valid when used anywhere other than the PSN store and only then for a few dollars before it was realized the number was stolen. Could have a unique number for each online retailer you use often all pulling money from your main account. Imagine a account page showing various CC numbers and being able to set amounts that each number could use. PSN number $xx a week, Gohastings number $xx a month, target $xx one time, etc.

I know there are similar solutions such as buying PSN cards on amazon but a universal solution like that would be awesome I think and secure if a number gets compromised.[/QUOTE]

some card companies do this. well they allow you to create a new card number with a set usage limit and timeframe.

[quote name='typikal82']about 400 worth

first charges were to online flower shops, then some phone unlocking site, then gas

the credit has already been reissued by my bank and a new card is on the way, but someone posing as me or using my info to open an account is a bigger concern.

i was as naive as you are right now. "they stole my info? little ol nobody me? theyll never use it...."[/QUOTE]

How did they buy gas with just a credit card number?

To be fair, unless we start seeing massive numbers of PSN users having their credit cards used fraudulently, then it could just be a coincidence. I mean, with all the millions of PSN users who had cards tied to their accounts there are bound to be coincidental occurances of credit card fraud.

I've had 3 or 4 cards compromised over the last 10 years and in none of those cases could I tie it to any specific "breach" like this (nor were they lost or stolen). Sometimes it just happens - and probably many times companies have data lost/stolen and either don't disclose it or don't even know it happened. Statistically speaking, there are bound to be many cases of people having their info stolen in other ways during this period and yet all the blame will go to Sony whether deserved or not.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']How did they buy gas with just a credit card number?[/QUOTE]

no idea, what i do know is my car doesnt hold $130 worth of gas

Let put some minds to ease here...

I used to work at a large bank in the credit card fraud department. We dealt with all sorts of stolen credit cards, ID theft cases, stolen card numbers and the like. I know I've posted this on here a few times, but I'm more than happy to share...

1.) You are not liable for unauthorized purchases on your credit card.

2.) You are not liable for unauthorized purchases on your credit card.

Yes, I posted that twice for a reason. Your card issuing bank holds the merchant, where the merchandise/services were purchased, liable for the charges. Merchants are supposed to have ways and means to combat fraud/theft, and if they allow charges to go through, then they didn't do their job. The bank will then "charge back" the merchant, with the help of law enforcement/law, in order to get the funds back. You will never have to pay for unauthorized use on your card.

3.) The charges you are seeing are typical. Gas stations, online flower purchases, online high end electronic stores, etc, are all used by people who steal information. Why? They either know they won't be carded/asked for ID when the card is presented, and they won't be asked to sign anything.

The charges you see for $1 (sometimes less) are a total red flag. The perps are "card testing" to see if it's open and active. Once they verify the card is active, they sell it, or use it right away very quickly. You might ask, "Well why doesn't my bank look out for this kind of activity." They do. All of them do. If a purchase goes through like that from a known card testing site, it's blocked, and the card is temporarily shut down until you (the card holder) can be verified/notified.

4.) The perps normally do not have your identity. Most of them time, they only have the card number, the name, and possibly the address. Other than your card number, this information is all public and can be found rather easily; Just FYI. In any case, you probably don't have ID theft, just a stolen credit card number.

5.) You might be wondering how they used a physical card when all they have is your card number. Easy. They use a machine called a "skimmer." This skimmer takes the credit number, and other information, and electronically places it on a blank credit card with a magnetic strip. It's more common than you think.

If you believe that you may have had your ID stolen, contact one of the 3 major credit score companies like Experian, TransUnion, or Equifax, and let them know you would like to place a credit/fraud alert on your account. They will place the alert on your account, and notify the other 2 companies on your behalf. It's a free service. If anyone tries to open a line of credit in your name (another credit card, home loan, car loan, etc) you will be contacted to verify before it is opened.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to PM me anytime.

[quote name='typikal82']no idea, what i do know is my car doesnt hold $130 worth of gas[/QUOTE]

Maybe they didn't buy gas, maybe they just went into the gas station store and bought $130 worth of moon pies...

[quote name='iwannadie']I wish CC companies would allow you to setup up single use or limited use numbers that are associated to your account.

I know there are similar solutions such as buying PSN cards on amazon but a universal solution like that would be awesome I think and secure if a number gets compromised.[/QUOTE]

Some card companies do have this feature. You can setup a virtual account number, specify the funds, and/or specify if it's a revolving/recurring charge (such as Netflix). Contact (or login to your bank's online banking website) your bank and ask.

bread's done
Back