PSN Sale - Droplitz 50% off, various PSP games and Minis discounted (2/1 - 2/7)

mkernan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (92%)
This week's sale is not that hot compared to last week's. Sale prices are good 2/1 - 2/7 (technically mid-day 2/8, whenever the PS Store updates again). In any event, here's the list:

PS3:
Droplitz – Sale (PS3) (now $4.99, original price $9.99)
Blue Toad Murder Files Episode 2: The Mystery Of Riddle Manor – Price Change (PS3) (now $2.99, original price $7.49)
Blue Toad Murder Files Episode 3: The Mystery Of The Concealing Flame – Price Change (PS3) (now $2.99, original price $7.49)
Blue Toad Murder Files Episode 4: Death From Above – Price Change (PS3) (now $2.99, original price $7.49)
Blue Toad Murder Files Episode 5: The Riddles Of The Past – Price Change (PS3) (now $2.99, original price $7.49)
Blue Toad Murder Files Episode 6: Flight Of The Felonious Fugitive – Price Change (PS3) (now $2.99, original price $7.49)
Blue Toad Murder Files Episodes 1-3 Bundle Pack – Price Change (PS3) (now $7.49, original price $14.99)
Blue Toad Murder Files Episode 2-6 Upgrade Bundle – Price Change (PS3) (now $13.99, original price $25.49)
Blue Toad Murder Files Episode 4-6 Bundle Pack – Price Change (PS3) (now $7.49, original price $14.99)
Blue Toad Murder Files Episode 1 – Price Change (PS3) (now $0.99, original price $7.49)
Blue Toad Murder Files Episode 1-6 Bundle Pack – Price Change (PS3) (now $14.99, original price $26.99)

PSP:
Class of Heroes Legacy – Sale (PSP) (now $19.99, original price $39.99)
Crimson Gem Saga – Sale (PSP) (now $14.99, original price $29.99)
Hammerin’ Hero – Sale (PSP) (now $9.99, original price $19.99)
Hexyz Force – Sale (PSP) (now $14.99, original price $29.99)
Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble – Sale (PSP) (now $19.99, original price $39.99)
Knights in the Nightmare – Sale (PSP) (now $14.99, original price $29.99)
Riviera: The Promised Land – Sale (PSP) (now $7.49, original price $14.99)
R-Type Command – Sale (PSP) (now $7.49, original price $14.99)
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable – Sale (PSP) (now $19.99, original price $39.99)
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona – Sale (PSP) (now $19.99, original price $39.99)
Steamboat Chronicles Battle Tournament – Sale (PSP) (now $7.49, original price $14.99)
Yggdra Union – Sale (PSP) (now $7.49, original price $14.99)
Half-Minute Hero – Price Change (PSP) (now $14.99, original price $19.99)

Minis (PSP/PS3):
Mahjongg Artifacts – minis – Price Drop (PS3/PSP) (now $2.99, original price $4.99)
Mahjongg Artifacts: Chapter 2 – minis – Price Drop (PS3/PSP) (now $2.99, original price $4.99)
Stand O’ Food – minis – Price Drop (PS3/PSP) (now $1.99, original price $4.99)
Supermarket Mania – minis – Price Drop (PS3/PSP) (now $2.99, original price $4.99)
The Mystery Of The Crystal Portal – minis – Price Drop (PS3/PSP) (now $2.99, original price $4.99)
I Must Run! – minis – Permanent Price Drop (PS3/PSP) (now $1.49, original price $3.99)
M.O.Z.O.X. Space Salvager – minis – Price Change (PS3/PSP) (now $1.49, original price $2.99)

Expired sale:
"11 for 11" sale - 11 PSN titles for half off. Sale runs from 1/25 through the 31st (technically until 2/1 when the following store update happens afternoon/evening). List of sale titles and links to their Metacritic reviews pages are below.

Costume Quest – $7.49 sale price; $14.99 regular price Metacritic reviews
Deathspank Thongs of Virtue – $7.49 sale price; $14.99 regular price Metacritic reviews
Hoard* – $7.49 sale price; $14.99 regular price Metacritic reviews
Soldner-X2: Final Prototype* – $6.49 sale price; $12.99 regular price Metacritic reviews
MotorStorm 3D Rift* – $4.99 sale price; $9.99 regular price
Peggle – $4.99 sale price; $9.99 regular price Metacritic reviews
Space Invaders Infinity Gene – $4.99 sale price; $9.99 regular price Metacritic reviews
Swords and Soliders** – $4.99 sale price; $9.99 regular price Metacritic reviews
Tumble* – $4.99 sale price; $9.99 regular price Metacritic reviews
Comet Crash* – $4.99 sale price; $9.99 regular price Metacritic reviews
Shatter** – $3.99 sale price; $7.99 regular price Metacritic reviews

* - Asterisk denotes a PSN exclusive title.
** - Also available for PC on Steam.

My personal recommendations: Costume Quest, Peggle (if you don't already have it on another platform), Tumble (if you have a Move controller), and Shatter.

Source:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...aystation-networks-11-for-2011-ps3-game-sale/
To stay informed with what's new in the Playstation Store on a regular basis and to hear about future sales, be sure to subscribe to the PS Store thread in the PS3 forum!:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180647

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='elessar123']Looking at gameplay videos of everything else on sale I'm unsure about...

Shatter looks like a faster placed arkanoid.
Tumble looks like a tech demo...
Comet Crash looks interesting, but I still have a few tower defense games to finish.

Swords and Soldiers looks like Patapon, without the rhythm? Is that a good description for people who's played it?

Space Invaders is now a vertical scroller with retro graphics. Interesting, but I wasn't ever a big SI fan.

GF now wants both Costume Quest and Hoard, so guess I'll be getting those, with Deathspank 2, and possibly Soldner-X 2.

Edit: And I quote,
"need! I wanna be a dragon!"[/QUOTE]

Download demos.

[quote name='elessar123']Swords and Soldiers looks like Patapon, without the rhythm? Is that a good description for people who's played it?
[/QUOTE]

Not in the slightest ;). It is more like a tower defense game, but is linear. I couldn't tell what the hell Patapon was from the time I tried to play it once.

[quote name='elessar123']Looking at gameplay videos of everything else on sale I'm unsure about...

Shatter looks like a faster placed arkanoid.
Tumble looks like a tech demo...
Comet Crash looks interesting, but I still have a few tower defense games to finish.

Swords and Soldiers looks like Patapon, without the rhythm? Is that a good description for people who's played it?

Space Invaders is now a vertical scroller with retro graphics. Interesting, but I wasn't ever a big SI fan.

GF now wants both Costume Quest and Hoard, so guess I'll be getting those, with Deathspank 2, and possibly Soldner-X 2.

Edit: And I quote,
"need! I wanna be a dragon!"[/QUOTE]

Tumble does seem like a tech demo but, the demo was pretty fun and I like puzzle games.

Shatter is similar to Akranoid but has it's own things that makes it different. The "suck" and "blow" system really makes it a very unique breakout/arkanoid clone. I have it on PC and really have had fun there are even boss battles. :) Another thing is the soundtrack is awesome!

Swords and Soldiers is not really like Patapon. The art is very cartoonish. You send units into battle but you have the ability to effect the size of your army based on how much gold you gather.

It's much more a simplified RTS you gather gold to create units and learn spells. Some upgrades allow you to receive more mana which you use to cast spells.

I recommend it, the game is a rather basic real time strategy game. The campaign is rather short but helps you learn the game. Multiplayer battles between another person are pretty fun. There are three factions you can play as and each one has it's own campaign with ten levels each. The factions are Vikings, Aztecs and Chinese. The factions are fairly balanced once you understand how each one works and the best strategy to attack them. There are also some single player challenges like survival and some others. I bought it during the Steam holiday sale and it was well worth the 2.50 I paid and more. I can easily recommend it for five bucks.

glad i held off peggle and shatter

definitely buying those two

anyone know if amazon usually matches psn sales? i have some amazon gift card credit so id like to use that instead

[quote name='blackwaltz34']glad i held off peggle and shatter

anyone know if amazon usually matches psn sales? i have some amazon gift card credit so id like to use that instead[/QUOTE]

Use it to get a PSN card/code.

[quote name='blackwaltz34']glad i held off peggle and shatter

anyone know if amazon usually matches psn sales? i have some amazon gift card credit so id like to use that instead[/QUOTE]

I too have the same issue but like I said in an earlier post, they don't price match the sales. They used to do it early on, but nowadays, the updates to prices are few and far between (they don't even have Costume Quest up to download, just the DLC I think).

I have even tried chatting and emailing customer service reps but have gotten turned down multiple times, despite providing direct links to the sales/official PlayStation blog.

Oh wells. I could be wrong with this sale...

[quote name='JuicemanJM']Use it to get a PSN card/code.[/QUOTE]

The problem with that is that the PSN cards on Amazon are almost always OOS, and only available through third-party sellers who charge more than the gift card value.

I loved the demo of Costume Quest when I played it back in October. Downloaded this with the sale but am now debating if I should wait until next Halloween to play it. :p

[quote name='Raye']I loved the demo of Costume Quest when I played it back in October. Downloaded this with the sale but am now debating if I should wait until next Halloween to play it. :p[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? Everyday is Halloween!!!

Space Invaders IG is amazing, right up there with PacMan CE DX in terms of making a popular retro title completely relevant and awesome. I couldn't explain the gameplay and do it any type of justice, so just look up some YouTube video reviews. A steal for $5.

Also, for those of u on the fence about Shatter @ the sale price: you'd be crazy--even for a CAG--if u passed it up. Get it, you'll love it.

[quote name='AwRy108']Space Invaders IG is amazing, right up there with PacMan CE DX in terms of making a popular retro title completely relevant and awesome. I couldn't explain the gameplay and do it any type of justice, so just look up some YouTube video reviews. A steal for $5.
[/QUOTE]

I played through the entire demo last night and just couldn't get in to it. I love shooters but couldn't tell what the fuck was going on half of the time. It was too much and quite honestly not fun to play.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I played through the entire demo last night and just couldn't get in to it. I love shooters but couldn't tell what the fuck was going on half of the time. It was too much and quite honestly not fun to play.[/QUOTE]

I loved the Invaders Extreme (1 and 2) on the DS and the psp, but I have to agree with your statement. This version is a little too crazy for me as well.

[quote name='dragonjud']I loved the Invaders Extreme (1 and 2) on the DS and the psp, but I have to agree with your statement. This version is a little too crazy for me as well.[/QUOTE]

I think the craziness is half of the appeal for me: the "simple" gameplay doesn't get old b/c every few seconds your mind is being blown by graphical insanity.

Also, I see there's a mode that you can set to your own music and play, but I haven't had a chance to try it. Any comments?

In for costume quest and shatter

Wish I had jumped on the sale for the first deathspank, but I didn't so I will have to pass on thongs of virtue.

[quote name='AwRy108']I think the craziness is half of the appeal for me: the "simple" gameplay doesn't get old b/c every few seconds your mind is being blown by graphical insanity.

Also, I see there's a mode that you can set to your own music and play, but I haven't had a chance to try it. Any comments?[/QUOTE]

Someone needs to make a "mind blown by graphical insanity" gif

In for Deathspank ToV, Space invaders, and costume quest. Loved first Deathspank. Debating shatter with the even deeper backlog I'll be creating.

[quote name='thenuke1']hope they price match the xboxlive red dead offers...[/QUOTE]

Not a chance unless they do it next week, and even then it's probably slim to none. They haven't matched the EA sale or the Activision sale.

[quote name='AwRy108']Space Invaders IG is amazing, right up there with PacMan CE DX in terms of making a popular retro title completely relevant and awesome. I couldn't explain the gameplay and do it any type of justice, so just look up some YouTube video reviews. A steal for $5.

Also, for those of u on the fence about Shatter @ the sale price: you'd be crazy--even for a CAG--if u passed it up. Get it, you'll love it.[/QUOTE]

I think Space Invaders IG is great for what it is. I loved the PacMan CE DX version. I love the craziness of these old games. What will be next on the revamped list?

Any opinions on Hoard?

I'm having a lot of trouble pulling the triggers on the PSN-exclusive titles as I'm pretty certain they'll show up as Playstation Plus freebies once I buy them.

I'll probably just end up with Costume Quest from this sale (got Swords & Soldiers in the Steam Holiday Sale and TOV on sale for the 360 last week).

Just got Costume Quest. Pretty fun! It's not groundbreaking or anything but it's got charm and wit. I don't think I woulda bit for $15, but for $7.50 I'm quite pleased.

[quote name='shrike4242']Quick question.

Which items that are on-sale are PSN exclusives?[/QUOTE]

Hoard, Tumble, Shatter (already given away via PS+), Sword & Soldiers (available on PC, but not XBLA; like Burn Zombie Burn which was another PS+ freebie), Soldner-X2: Final Prototype, MotorStorm 3D Rift, Comet Crash

That's a great question, so I've updated the OP and put asterisks next to the exclusives.

Hoard, Soldner-X2: Final Prototype, MotorStorm 3D Rift, Tumble, Comet Crash, Shatter (well, Shatter is on PC also).

[quote name='Decker']Hoard, Tumble, Shatter (already given away via PS+), Sword & Soldiers, Soldner-X2: Final Prototype, MotorStorm 3D Rift, Comet Crash[/QUOTE]

Swords and Soldiers is on WiiWare and Steam (PC and Mac) too.

I believe Hoard and Tumble are PSN exclusives. I will wait on those to see if they go free for Plus. I might get CQ for 7.50. Already got Shatter for free, the rest seem like good sales, just have too big a backlog already.

[quote name='Decker']Hoard, Tumble, Shatter (already given away via PS+), Sword & Soldiers (available on PC, but not XBLA; like Burn Zombie Burn which was another PS+ freebie), Soldner-X2: Final Prototype, MotorStorm 3D Rift, Comet Crash[/QUOTE]

When were Hoard and Tumble given away for Plus members? I don't remember those games being free, although I've only been a member for a couple months so perhaps I missed those?

--EDIT sorry, misread your post, you were just speaking about Shatter, my bad.

[quote name='Bumslie']I think Space Invaders IG is great for what it is. I loved the PacMan CE DX version. I love the craziness of these old games. What will be next on the revamped list?[/QUOTE]

I love Space Invaders Infinity Gene and Pac-Man CE DX.
I consider Geometry Wars 2 to be the Super Turbo HD Remix of Asteroids,
and Bit.Trip Beat is the Super Turbo HD Remix of Pong.

Next up:

Yar's Revenge

Galaga Legions DX

Galaga Legions had potential but was botched due to it's difficulty.
I'm sure the developer will fix the issue for the DX version.

[quote name='Decker']Hoard, Tumble, Shatter (already given away via PS+), Sword & Soldiers (available on PC, but not XBLA; like Burn Zombie Burn which was another PS+ freebie), Soldner-X2: Final Prototype, MotorStorm 3D Rift, Comet Crash[/QUOTE]

Swords and Soldiers was originally a WiiWare exclusive...

I played the demo for swords and soldiers but didn't much care for it. If it had regular rts levels instead of all 2D side scrolling rts levels, it copuld have had potentiel. There is a youtube video of what starcraft would have been if it were 2D. That is this game.

Edit: this is it. Sorry about the mobile link, posting from my phone. Can someone post the regular link?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D8B16eAS1dwA&v=8B16eAS1dwA&gl=US

But yeah, swords and soldiers is pretty much that but with better graphics.

[quote name='typical guy']I played the demo for swords and soldiers but didn't much care for it. If it had regular rts levels instead of all 2D side scrolling rts levels, it copuld have had potentiel. There is a youtube video of what starcraft would have been if it were 2D. That is this game.
[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but that is sort of the point of it. If it didn't have the 2D side-scrolling aspect it wouldn't be the same fun game that it is. That's what makes it stand out from every other RTS/Tower Defense hybrid ;).

Anyways, I bought that and Costume Quest. My son has been playing Costume Quest. I haven't played either due to LBP 2. I may also pick up Space Invaders since that is a retro game I can get into. I remember dropping quarters on the original and thinking it was the most amazing thing ever created.

[quote name='alangee']Shatter is amaaaazing!!

Best $4 I've spent on PSN. Anybody hesitating to buy it needs to do it asap.[/QUOTE]

...couldn't get into it. I suppose if you were into brickout style games it might be pleasurable. For me, going from Pac-Man DX to Dead Nation to Costume Quest to Joe Danger, it really wasn't even an even plain or playing field.

[quote name='io']I'm sorry, but that is sort of the point of it. If it didn't have the 2D side-scrolling aspect it wouldn't be the same fun game that it is. That's what makes it stand out from every other RTS/Tower Defense hybrid ;).

Anyways, I bought that and Costume Quest. My son has been playing Costume Quest. I haven't played either due to LBP 2. I may also pick up Space Invaders since that is a retro game I can get into. I remember dropping quarters on the original and thinking it was the most amazing thing ever created.[/QUOTE]

I kind of figured that's the point since...that is the gameplay? People ask what it is like so I told them. I played the demo and found it simplistic and not terribly good. Its a fine starter rts for an 8-10 year old. I won't be buying it...well maybe if they sell it for $1 in the future.

[quote name='typical guy']I kind of figured that's the point since...that is the gameplay? People ask what it is like so I told them. I played the demo and found it simplistic and not terribly good. Its a fine starter rts for an 8-10 year old. I won't be buying it...well maybe if they sell it for $1 in the future.[/QUOTE]

Wow, OK... :lol:

You know it does progress from the demo and mix things up later?

I sure as hell am not trying to convince you to buy it, I just didn't want your half-assed flippant comments to dissuade anyone else from buying it.

So, to those on the fence, you can go with typical guy, or you can consider the aggregation of critics who have given it an 81 average on metacritic - on the high end, actually, compared to the rest of the games in this sale (though they are all pretty highly rated which I think is the point of the promotion, actually).

[quote name='io']Wow, OK... :lol:

You know it does progress from the demo and mix things up later?

I sure as hell am not trying to convince you to buy it, I just didn't want your half-assed flippant comments to dissuade anyone else from buying it.

So, to those on the fence, you can go with typical guy, or you can consider the aggregation of critics who have given it an 81 average on metacritic - on the high end, actually, compared to the rest of the games in this sale (though they are all pretty highly rated which I think is the point of the promotion, actually).[/QUOTE]

Hey man, the point of a demo is to tell you what the game is like. Obviously the demo doesn't encompass the entire experience but if the demo doesn't give a decent representation of the game, which is what you seem to be implying, why would they even release it? I played the demo. It wasn't particularly great. I recommend people try the demo if they are on the fence, not listen to me. Lets face it, it's a 2D RTS and if people don't want to bother with the demo then they can listen to me and read your post as well...or are you suggesting that because my opinion of the game is different from yours, I shouldn't make it? If someone asks what a game is like, should we only allow folks to post about it that loved it? Seriously, that's fucking ridiculous. From what I played of the demo (all of it), the game was a dumbed down 2D RTS that would be a good starter RTS for children. Perhaps it gets better but if so, the game developers did a poor job with the demo and I'm sure as hell not taking that chance even at this price.

[quote name='typical guy']Hey man, the point of a demo is to tell you what the game is like. Obviously the demo doesn't encompass the entire experience but if the demo doesn't give a decent representation of the game, which is what you seem to be implying, why would they even release it? I played the demo. It wasn't particularly great. I recommend people try the demo if they are on the fence, not listen to me. Lets face it, it's a 2D RTS and if people don't want to bother with the demo then they can listen to me and read your post as well..[/QUOTE]

Meh, I've found that playing most demos doesn't give me the real feel of a game which is why I generally don't even bother. I don't have enough time to waste playing demos anyway - would rather just play a real game ;).

Yeah, it is a 2D RTS. Well, actually, I think of it as 1D almost (though there are branching paths in some levels).

Addressing your edit, no, of course I don't think you shouldn't voice your opinion, though coming in with the "RTS for children" crap after I posted that I liked it was sort of a jackass thing to do, no? So I sort of took exception to that. And that's why I pointed out the reviews because I don't think they make that point. Yes, it is "dumbed down" compared to the most complex of PC RTS games, but then isn't pretty much every console RTS?

Thanks to io's recommendation I downloaded Sword and Soldiers and enjoyed it immensely.

It's quite good in small 2-3 level bursts as there isn't much strategy early on other than pumping out enough resource gathers till you can roll out troops constantly while spamming the heal spell. It does get hectic near the end of the Viking campaign as you pretty much have to use all the units and spells at your disposal to beat the levels.

I think another game with similar gameplay is Grim Grimoire on the :ps2: . I didn't get to play it myself but my friend suggested that their play types were almost the same.

Hey, I actually played GrimGrimoire (one of the very few PS2 Atlus/NIS/etc type games I played even though I bought most of them). I suppose it is similar, though GrimGrimoire is more 2D - you have things happening above, below, all around - and some enemies will crawl over the outside of the tower you are constrained to (using stairs and such for the most part), making for some pretty difficult battles.

I do fully intend to play this S & S I just rebought. It has been a while since I beat the WiiWare version. It isn't a terribly long game (I'm guessing this version isn't any longer if you already finished one campaign) . But that's good because I can knock it out and feel like I accomplished something as opposed to most of the 100+ hour games I tend to play. And I can chase some trophies with this one too!

Well,

I grabbed
TV gameshow or king or whatever(not really part of this sale)
Peggle (yeah I didnt have this one yet)
Shatter
Costume Quest

Thats it for me I am interested in hoard and S&S I will probably grab on the wii since I have unused funds there.

Wow I played GrimGrimoire too, that game was tough and hardcore. Much tougher and complex than S&S. I was the first psn player to beat the Viking Run ;) but I stopped playing once I got that trophy and the 1st place on the leaderboards.
I went overboard and got everything. I got tv show king, costume quest, tumble, deathspank tov and then went and got Minerva's Den and Vietnam DLC. Now i read that BIOSHOCK2 has a bundle dlc deal in the UK, hopefully that doesnt come to US, or if it does it also has reduced prices on all the other dlc so I don't feel i lost too much. lol
peace CAG!
I didnt grab HOARD cuz it has low reviews and sales and it's SONY so it should be PSN+ free? or at least cheaper than that. haha
peace

bread's done
Back