PSP price drop to $130 starting SUNDAY

kart007k

CAGiversary!
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/25/psp-price-slashed-to-130/

[quote name='dragonjud']Take note that the bundle on the GS website is NOT the limited edition GoW bundle. For some odd reason, that bundle has sold out quickly across just about any online retailer.

What gamestop is selling you is a core (regular black console) with a sealed copy of God of War. This is deceiving (as usual with them), since they're doing the same with Final Fantasy as well.[/QUOTE]

Be aware of Thieves (GAMESTOP)

Last edited by a moderator:
ugh, wish this happened sooner BUT i can say that I really don't want the 3000. I had actually gone through 2 at the 179 price point, but the screen has some problems that I experienced and are outlined int his thread:

http://community.us.playstation.com/message/28541971

"I was given a PSP 3000 Rockband Bundle recently as a gift, and there's something a bit odd I've noticed with the screen and I was wondering if anyone else had it on their PSP 3000s as well.

Basically, I have this random outline all along the screen. The inside of this outline is darker than the outside, so its very distracting on dark scenes in games and videos. Here's a lame mock-up I did in Paint.

The grey area is always ligher than the black, and the outline is similar to the one in the picture. Its not perfect, its scraggly all the way around. Does anyone else have this on their PSP? Its not a huge deal breaker, and I can't return it as I don't have the reciept but I was wondering if there was a way to fix it yourself. "

Wish I had been able to get in on that deal. I would have bit on a PSPGo and the games for $100...

If you're not picky about getting a used system and have some time to kill you can check around your local gamestops and you might get a sweet hookup since, as it seems, not everyone deletes their games when they trade it in. I was able to get a used go yesterday for $100 that came with Portable Ops, Peacewalker, the PSX Metal Gear, the new God of War and about 4 more psp/psx games downloaded on it.

[quote name='skateraXVIII']Is it going to drop in price, or is already on clearance?[/QUOTE]

The bundle is 129.99 if you can find it.

I've checked several Targets in my area and none of them have any bundles of any kind.

Thanks for the heads up. I checked the inventory online, and it said "Limited Inventory" so I took a trip on over to my local Target and was disappointed to see that they had none left. Oh well, I guess I can spend my money on something a little more worthwhile.

[quote name='briking']The bundle is 129.99 if you can find it.

I've checked several Targets in my area and none of them have any bundles of any kind.[/QUOTE]

This! Not sure if El Hoardo would've struck across so many stores, but it seems very unlikely that anybody is going to get lucky finding many of these. They definitely had the tags, but all they had was core sets.:cry:

[quote name='Dajinn']ugh, wish this happened sooner BUT i can say that I really don't want the 3000. I had actually gone through 2 at the 179 price point, but the screen has some problems that I experienced and are outlined int his thread:

http://community.us.playstation.com/message/28541971

"I was given a PSP 3000 Rockband Bundle recently as a gift, and there's something a bit odd I've noticed with the screen and I was wondering if anyone else had it on their PSP 3000s as well.

Basically, I have this random outline all along the screen. The inside of this outline is darker than the outside, so its very distracting on dark scenes in games and videos. Here's a lame mock-up I did in Paint.

The grey area is always ligher than the black, and the outline is similar to the one in the picture. Its not perfect, its scraggly all the way around. Does anyone else have this on their PSP? Its not a huge deal breaker, and I can't return it as I don't have the reciept but I was wondering if there was a way to fix it yourself. "
[/QUOTE]

That's why I got a 2000 from Amazon in the spring of 09 when they clearanced them out instead of getting a 3000.

For those that use Goozex, you can get a ton of PSP games from them pretty easily on the older titles. A solid 1/3 of my PSP collection is from Goozex. I've only paid full MSRP for 3 PSP games (Persona 1, Valkyria Chronicles 2, GoW: Ghost of Sparta)

[quote name='Wolfpup']That's completely false. It had a strong launch library and solid first year-much better than the DS had.[/quote]

Strong Launch Library... If you like primarily sports titles, maybe. But I don't want to play them on a handheld. So for me, Lumines was the only quality launch title. It took almost a year until Syphon Filter came out, which delivered another "quality" title. The rest were either decent or terrible. Nothing compared to say Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow for DS during that first year on PSP.

Personal opinion and all, but every one of my friends loved Metal Gear Acid. You need to give it a chance and not just reject it because it's kind of a strategy game.

Good for you and your friends. I am not a fan of Yugi-Oh type games. Marketing for it made it seem like it was typical Metal Gear with an RPG aspect. The result did not live up to the marketing.

Syphon Filter got a 9.3 from IGN (the sequel got similar scores). They had phenomenal graphics, production values, gameplay, stories, music, etc. IGN called the first one the PSP's killer app, and it's usually cited as the definitive example of how to do complex 3D controls with one stick.
I never stated anything about the production of the game. I only stated about the controls. From the other aspects you listed, yes it was a nice title. As for the IGN review, remember what else was on the system at the time... exactly so now you know why they were ecstatic.

But that's clearly false in the case of the PSP. It's just silly hyperbole to call a system with hundreds of games over a 6+ year history that's sold over 60 million units "unsupported".
Outside a handful of titles... its garbage in, garbage out so yes the analogy I used was applicable.

That's 1) Obviously not true, and 2) even if it were true, wouldn't mean its not worth owning.

The hardware's always been a steal for what you get, whether it was $250 at launch, or $130 now. Until the NGP comes out, there won't be anything better, despite being on the market over six years.

Maybe for you but not for me. My DS provided way better support, even if the graphics aren't as nice and filled my handheld gaming needs. Based on a sample source from IGN of reviews no longer than 6 months ago, retail titles, and had a score of 8.0 or above... DS had 13 titles to PSP 5 titles. So DS is still the one to beat...

Here was the last couple months worth of titles to support my comment
PSP
Feb - Ys I&II, Tactics Orge
Jan - Lord of Arcana, Prinny 2
Dec - Tron: Evolution

Also not true. Anybody who wants quality games and especially quality portable games loves it.

Again, maybe for you. When I traded it in, the gamestop employee said "I am going to have to put this on hold so I can homebrew it". Take it for what it is worth.

I like my PSP. If someone doesn't, I don't feel the need to convince them otherwise. But to say that the PSP's library is garbage outside of a handful of titles seems extreme.

[quote name='lordopus99']Strong Launch Library... If you like primarily sports titles, maybe. But I don't want to play them on a handheld. So for me, Lumines was the only quality launch title. It took almost a year until Syphon Filter came out, which delivered another "quality" title. The rest were either decent or terrible. Nothing compared to say Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow for DS during that first year on PSP.

Good for you and your friends. I am not a fan of Yugi-Oh type games. Marketing for it made it seem like it was typical Metal Gear with an RPG aspect. The result did not live up to the marketing.

I never stated anything about the production of the game. I only stated about the controls. From the other aspects you listed, yes it was a nice title. As for the IGN review, remember what else was on the system at the time... exactly so now you know why they were ecstatic.

Outside a handful of titles... its garbage in, garbage out so yes the analogy I used was applicable.

Maybe for you but not for me. My DS provided way better support, even if the graphics aren't as nice and filled my handheld gaming needs. Based on a sample source from IGN of reviews no longer than 6 months ago, retail titles, and had a score of 8.0 or above... DS had 13 titles to PSP 5 titles. So DS is still the one to beat...

Here was the last couple months worth of titles to support my comment
PSP
Feb - Ys I&II, Tactics Orge
Jan - Lord of Arcana, Prinny 2
Dec - Tron: Evolution

Again, maybe for you. When I traded it in, the gamestop employee said "I am going to have to put this on hold so I can homebrew it". Take it for what it is worth.[/QUOTE]

Thats a lot to write to try to prove a weak point. As far as the DS, I have never seen a system with so much shovelware on it . . . well, except the Wii. Hundreds and hundreds of garbage titles geared for casuals and kids, all running on inferior hardware. Easy pass on that one friend. :roll:

I feel both the DS and PSP are garbage, but both have titles I enjoyed playing.

I own both systems. Although I need to upgrade my PSP, so I'll be getting a 3000 soon.

Love my psp 3000. I play ff9 everyday(didnt play ff9 on ps). Ps classic games hold up very well on the 3000. I have ff9 xenogears vc2 and am waiting for the ff4 re release. I'm a 34 yr old professional and have the psp with me wherever I go

[quote name='lordopus99']Strong Launch Library... If you like primarily sports titles, maybe.[/quote]

No, it's quite obviously a strong launch library, period. Any system that launches with that number of games, most of which have never been done on a handheld before, and a lot of which are quite good, is not a weak launch.

Nothing compared to say Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow for DS during that first year on PSP.

Well I thought Dawn of Sorrow was pretty terrible compared to the GBA games (which is why I finally quit buying those after the next entry). But anyway, that first year on the DS was much weaker, and the launch far far far weaker.

Good for you and your friends. I am not a fan of Yugi-Oh type games.

Huh? It isn't a "Yugi-Oh type game". You might want to actually play it before bashing it. Both games are worth buying the system for.

Marketing for it made it seem like it was typical Metal Gear with an RPG aspect. The result did not live up to the marketing.

I have no idea what the marketing was, but all the reviews made it sound like an interesting strategy game entry in the series...which is what it was.

I never stated anything about the production of the game. I only stated about the controls.

Which are widely regarded as excellent.

As for the IGN review, remember what else was on the system at the time... exactly so now you know why they were ecstatic.

There was all kinds of quality stuff on the system.

Ridiculous and you presumably know it.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Thats a lot to write to try to prove a weak point. As far as the DS, I have never seen a system with so much shovelware on it . . . well, except the Wii. Hundreds and hundreds of garbage titles geared for casuals and kids, all running on inferior hardware. Easy pass on that one friend. :roll:

Yeah, really. I think these anti-PSP people are just trolls. Not that the DS doesn't have good games too, but as near as I've ever been able to tell, differences in the SIZE of the libraries are accounted for by shovelware. And some of these comments...surely the people making them can't actually believe it. They'd have to be barging in here saying these things, without any actual knowledge of the state of the PSP's library...so much passion without knowledge. So I'd assume they do know better, and just like trolling. Geez, even the Wii's got a pretty strong library now.

[quote name='Dajinn']ugh, wish this happened sooner BUT i can say that I really don't want the 3000. I had actually gone through 2 at the 179 price point, but the screen has some problems that I experienced and are outlined int his thread:[/quote]

I looked in the thread but didn't see an image there either. Do you have a picture or something? I'm not really sure what the description means.

I can't really say if I like my 3000 better or worse than my 1000/2000 screen...it's different, sort of weird, but works fine. It is kind of probably artificially contrast-ier, at least with that "vibrant" mode on or whatever it's called, but works.

I'd have loved a quality IPS panel though on an updated model!

^^^the image is actually in the link to that thread on sony's forum...its not very visible but if you hover over "Image" it will highlight the hyperlink...

i apologize for not making that clear

Oh okay, thanks! Even after you said that was a link I thought it wasn't working at first since it was mostly black :lol:

Anyway I think I understand what it's saying now, and I just un-sleeped my PSP 3000 and I don't THINK it looks like that at all. I'm playing Suikoden right now, and ran around a bit, and don't see anything different at the edges of the screen that I can tell.

Mine was probably made last year though as it's...no, I take that back, it was '09 maybe? It's the Assassin's Creed bundle one, but not a launch 3000 at any rate.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Wish I had been able to get in on that deal. I would have bit on a PSPGo and the games for $100... Did you get it on the Hardee's/Target Clearance deal?[/QUOTE]
Yes. $100 is a good price point for a PSPgo system, the old fat ones I would demand to pay even less at this point in time since they're obsolete and big.

It's kind of odd that there are no PSP 2000s that are specifically used on the site, only the Gamestop Refurbished ones. And the bad part is there are practically none of them within the city.

[quote name='Wolfpup']
Yeah, really. I think these anti-PSP people are just trolls. Not that the DS doesn't have good games too, but as near as I've ever been able to tell, differences in the SIZE of the libraries are accounted for by shovelware. And some of these comments...surely the people making them can't actually believe it. They'd have to be barging in here saying these things, without any actual knowledge of the state of the PSP's library...so much passion without knowledge. So I'd assume they do know better, and just like trolling. Geez, even the Wii's got a pretty strong library now.[/QUOTE]

Not a troll just a disappointed PSP owner (at one time). I stated an opinion on what I played. Take it or leave it. As for the DS vs PSP, DS has a larger library and way more better games, thus a better buy.[/offtopic]

at one of the bestbuys I saw earlier in the week they have a bunch of the Little Big Planet bundles still and at the time were priced the same as the core at $169.99.. anyone know for sure if they dropped to $129.99 ?

Thanks.. I tried calling the store but got idiot employees that are still saying the PSP bundles are $200 for Go and 3000

[quote name='lordopus99']Not a troll just a disappointed PSP owner (at one time). I stated an opinion on what I played. Take it or leave it. As for the DS vs PSP, DS has a larger library and way more better games, thus a better buy.[/offtopic][/QUOTE]
Dude, you're clearly a Sony bashing troll. It's fine, just don't lie about it. This is now the second Sony product I've seen you complain about in less than a week. Just avoid if you don't like it. That PSN thread wouldn't have gone on for 5 pages if you weren't trolling.

I do hope people have some luck in finding the PSP 3000s, really nice system and $130 is a great price given all you can do with it.

[quote name='briking']The Target DCPI number for the PSP Ghost of Sparta bundle is:

207 19 0074

No luck on finding it in my area, though.[/QUOTE]

There were none listed in my area, but luckily I'm out of state this weekend and just found the last one around here for $130.

[quote name='TheBigHouse']There were none listed in my area, but luckily I'm out of state this weekend and just found the last one around here for $130.[/QUOTE]

Are you guys looking them up on the website somehow or calling? I called the stores in my area, but if someone further out had one, I'd make the drive for it.

I'm considering picking one up if my local K-mart doesn't take forever to drop the prices. Last time I was there they had a GOW and a MGS bundle.

[quote name='Derrick1979']at one of the bestbuys I saw earlier in the week they have a bunch of the Little Big Planet bundles still and at the time were priced the same as the core at $169.99.. anyone know for sure if they dropped to $129.99 ?

Thanks.. I tried calling the store but got idiot employees that are still saying the PSP bundles are $200 for Go and 3000[/QUOTE]

They definitely should be 130. I just checked at one of the targets in the city and they actually had 3 bundles left.

[quote name='rarebucky']The God of War Ghost of Sparta bundle is $159 at BB now. Great deal considering it is still going for $200+ on ebay.[/QUOTE]

I think everyone is finding this bundle but me.

[quote name='briking']Are you guys looking them up on the website somehow or calling? I called the stores in my area, but if someone further out had one, I'd make the drive for it.[/QUOTE]

I grabbed the Target DCPI number that was posted for the GOW edition (207-19-0074) and then went to the Target Clearance thread where they have the link where you can search your local stores by DCPI online. I checked my home area and came up with nothing; since I was out of state, I checked my vicinity before I was about to hit the highway and head home, and found one just 3 miles away that said "limited availability". So I stopped by and they had one left on the shelf. It was marked clearance $130, and that's what it rang up as.

[quote name='Mad39er']Dude, you're clearly a Sony bashing troll. It's fine, just don't lie about it. This is now the second Sony product I've seen you complain about in less than a week. Just avoid if you don't like it. That PSN thread wouldn't have gone on for 5 pages if you weren't trolling.
[/QUOTE]

[offtopic]
Trolling implies that I am trying for a reaction, which I am not. This discussion in here I stated an analogy about what I felt the PSP was when I owned it (release to 2 years later). People went into me. I didn't mean for a drawn out "let's compare DS to PSP" thread or the page of people trying to figure out the analogy :lol: As for PSN, it was meant to try and find a solution to LittleBigPlanet 2 connection issues I was having. I can't help that someone (*cough*lottagames*cough*) turned that into a Live bashing thread that I had to defend with tmac. Again... not trolling just stating my experiences with the products. [/offtopic]

[quote name='lordopus99'][offtopic]
Trolling implies that I am trying for a reaction, which I am not. This discussion in here I stated an analogy about what I felt the PSP was when I owned it (release to 2 years later). People went into me. I didn't mean for a drawn out "let's compare DS to PSP" thread or the page of people trying to figure out the analogy :lol: As for PSN, it was meant to try and find a solution to LittleBigPlanet 2 connection issues I was having. I can't help that someone (*cough*lottagames*cough*) turned that into a Live bashing thread that I had to defend with tmac. Again... not trolling just stating my experiences with the products. [/offtopic][/QUOTE]

Translation: Yes you are a Troll. :roll:

images.jpg

Picked up another PSP 3000 Core system from Amazon after they dropped the price, since I already had a fat credit on Amazon ($40). Would love to find a GOW bundle but I doubt I'll see any of those nearby.

starting from scratch and wondering if this where is where I should put my money, or maybe invest in a 3ds down the road or NGP. I just picked up a God of War PSP bundle @ target for $129 - the last one i think in the Sacramento area.

My PSP 1000 UMD drive broke (about damn time too, I put that hardware through some hell lol) so I need a replacement and since the NGP is not BC, I definitely need to invest in one.

It'll have to wait till the summer, I am spending my money next month on a 3DS. Still, damn good deal and anyone who has an extensive UMD collection may want to look into upgrading for this cheap.

The BB ad this week has the price drop listed it'll be hard to find the GOW bundles b/c alot got scooped up during the holidays. If only they dropped the price then sales would've really been through the roof.

[quote name='Enuf']The BB ad this week has the price drop listed it'll be hard to find the GOW bundles b/c alot got scooped up during the holidays. If only they dropped the price then sales would've really been through the roof.[/QUOTE]

I remember that sony did come out with PSP holiday bundle that had PSP, LBP and Karate Kid movie. And on black friday it was on sale for $130 at GS, KMART (w. $15 gc),Target, and Amazon. but it was only temporary.

I used the Target locator and went to the 4 Points Target (read:Austin/Central TX). I bought the 1 God of War combo that they had. There were still 2 Invizimals and 2 core systems left. I really like the blue of the Invizimals unit, but a two-tone GoW one can't be beat.

Thanks OP.

[quote name='kart007k']I remember that sony did come out with PSP holiday bundle that had PSP, LBP and Karate Kid movie. And on black friday it was on sale for $130 at GS, KMART (w. $15 gc),Target, and Amazon. but it was only temporary.[/QUOTE]

GS has the GOW bundle in stock but it's overpriced $170 I'd keep checking till it'll drops and get it fast b/c it'll be OOS very fast at $130.

[quote name='Enuf']GS has the GOW bundle in stock but it's overpriced $170 I'd keep checking till it'll drops and get it fast b/c it'll be OOS very fast at $130.[/QUOTE]

Take note that the bundle on the GS website is NOT the limited edition GoW bundle. For some odd reason, that bundle has sold out quickly across just about any online retailer.

What gamestop is selling you is a core (regular black console) with a sealed copy of God of War. This is deceiving (as usual with them), since they're doing the same with Final Fantasy as well.

Seriously? That's hilarious :lol:

Obviously then you can just buy...well maybe it works out to the same price or a slight discount, so at least it's not a rip off.

[quote name='dragonjud']Take note that the bundle on the GS website is NOT the limited edition GoW bundle. For some odd reason, that bundle has sold out quickly across just about any online retailer.

What gamestop is selling you is a core (regular black console) with a sealed copy of God of War. This is deceiving (as usual with them), since they're doing the same with Final Fantasy as well.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I put that on the first page. fucking cheaters.

bread's done
Back