Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
Go check the deceased deals forum. The thread should be there by now.

They were a preorder bonus-type thing. For some reason they were under Wii software though in the BB system, so I got a 15% package discount on the two NSMB guides I bought today. (laughably really since they didn't take anything off the penny :p)

I was surprised to find some penny guides today since it's 2 days after drop day. I only got one of each guide because that is all that I was allowed to get before (at this store). The girl at the register didn't seem to care so I probably should've gone back for more but I had the family waiting in the car. I picked up:

SWFU2: CE
Sims 3
DAO: Awakenings
Metroid: Other M
ME2

I wanted a DR2 guide but I don't recall if this store had it before the drop. I have the CE from the last drop so it's not a big deal.

Got some on my trip to Lafayette, IN for a job interview. Managed to find SWTFU2 x4, Other M and a pokepark.

Edit: Dammit just saw that the Fallout 3 CE guides they had were pennied according to the 3rd post.

[quote name='cgxcswim']Got some on my trip to Lafayette, IN for a job interview. Managed to find SWTFU2 x4, Other M and a pokepark.

Edit: Dammit just saw that the Fallout 3 CE guides they had were pennied according to the 3rd post.[/QUOTE]

I find it more likely that what you saw there were the Fallout New Vegas CE guides which are full price. If they actually WERE Fallout 3 CE, then yes, you're unlucky to have missed them, and unluckier to have tipped off everyone else to run there as fast as possible! :)

Since radioactivez0r mentioned leaving a few guides at the Folsom BB, I was nearby enough tonight to check it out, and found a few:

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
Madden NFL 11
Lost Planet Extreme Condition (?!) I looked this up in IATCG's voluminous well-kept archives, and it apparently only pennied at Gamestop 3 or 4 years ago, but it rung up today as a penny at Best Buy!

I found a Halo Reach LE and could have sworn it had pennied at BB, but they looked it up and of course I had just remembered wrong. I was really hoping to get that one for my son, too.

LOL Reaper. That reminds me of the Springfield(PA) Best Buy on the Baltimore Pike. When I first hit there en route to Atlantic City 4-5 years ago they had one of the guides for the FIRST Jak game on PS2 still sitting on the shelf....and still ringing up MSRP.:shock:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']LOL Reaper. That reminds me of the Springfield(PA) Best Buy on the Baltimore Pike. When I first hit there en route to Atlantic City 4-5 years ago they had one of the guides for the FIRST Jak game on PS2 still sitting on the shelf....and still ringing up MSRP.:shock:[/QUOTE]

I was just there last night. They had a bunch of Metroid and ME2, but I couldn't remember what had pennied and what hadn't. I didn't have the time to check, as I was doing an 8-game trade-in and a store pickup and it was 15 minutes before closing time.

[quote name='hellmutt']I find it more likely that what you saw there were the Fallout New Vegas CE guides which are full price. If they actually WERE Fallout 3 CE, then yes, you're unlucky to have missed them, and unluckier to have tipped off everyone else to run there as fast as possible! :)[/QUOTE]

I'm 100% positive they were the Fallout 3 CE because I checked them to make sure they were not the GOTY editions. As for tipping off everyone else, it does suck that I didnt get them but hopefully someone does :)

[quote name='cgxcswim']I'm 100% positive they were the Fallout 3 CE because I checked them to make sure they were not the GOTY editions. As for tipping off everyone else, it does suck that I didnt get them but hopefully someone does :)[/QUOTE]

Really? Fallout 3 CE?Havent seen that guide over a year. I did see fallout GOTY edition like 6 months ago, but they all disappear in the MD area.

Anyway, I got this following guides this week, x2 star wars CE, x2 Metroid, x2 deadrising 2, x1 Epic Mickey, and x1 Borderlands GOTY game ($10.Last 1 in store)

I ordered a cars 2 steelbook yesterday morning and they cancel it in the afternoon:( Not a big lost, but would like to have 1. Anyone that got it shipped to house , did it come wrap? I notice there was 1 with a big dent in it in store.

Also anyone in the MD area, the employee pull up the RMS inventory system and looks like there is x2 Epic mickey CE guides in the Frederick,MD store. The other MD locations have none in stock. Hope this helps out anyone still looking for the mickey guide. Good luck.

ps. why is NSMB guide costing more? Is it becoming super rare?

I have a feeling that there is a very disappointed BB gaming employee at the store I hit today. They left a stack of 9 Cars 2 steelbooks on the gaming desk and walked away apparently. So I picked them up and took them up to the register and checked out. :D

Guess I should give Best Buy a look tomorrow when I'm getting my 3DS price adjusted. Sounds like a lot of people are having luck finding penny guides for some reason this go around.

[quote name='emg28']I was surprised to find some penny guides today since it's 2 days after drop day. I only got one of each guide because that is all that I was allowed to get before (at this store). The girl at the register didn't seem to care so I probably should've gone back for more but I had the family waiting in the car. I picked up:

SWFU2: CE
Sims 3
DAO: Awakenings
ME2

I wanted a DR2 guide but I don't recall if this store had it before the drop. I have the CE from the last drop so it's not a big deal.[/QUOTE]

Damnit, I checked my local store yesterday and was told they were 'shipped back'. I trust my source as well, the store didn't have any of the guides.

Ordered SWFU2:CE on Monday for ship to store. Picked it up just now but is standard edition.
Well, not gonna argue over 1cent, they are most likely out of stock on CE anyway.

[quote name='jjmai']Ordered SWFU2:CE on Monday for ship to store. Picked it up just now but is standard edition.
Well, not gonna argue over 1cent, they are most likely out of stock on CE anyway.[/QUOTE]

How did you find this online? And how did they not get canceled like the Cars 2 steelbook...

It was posted right when they dropped. Someone just happened to find them I guess. I was surprised the Cars 2 Steelbooks were cancelled since BBY usually ships out penny items.

Did anyone else have orders cancelled for guides that were supposed to ship later this month? I had a Metroid Other M and Sims 3 guide that were cancelled. My Cars 2 steel case order was also cancelled.

[quote name='UNC5052']Did anyone else have orders cancelled for guides that were supposed to ship later this month? I had a Metroid Other M and Sims 3 guide that were cancelled. My Cars 2 steel case order was also cancelled.[/QUOTE]

My orders (2) were canceled this morning, nothing shipped.

SW TFU2 was cancelled today. At least I already got my PokéPark, Metroid, DR2, and Sims in the mail earlier this week :)

Went by Best Buy today and actually found some of these. Picked up SWTFU2:CE (x2), DAO: Awakenings, Metroid: Other M, and Epic Mickey CE. They had some Mass Effect 2 guides, but I don't think they were the recent ones.

I had Sims 3, DR2, and SWTFU2:CE cancelled as part of an in-store pickup order on 8/8, stating that the item wasn't available at the store. The guides were changed to ship, but they were cancelled this morning.

When I walked into BBY to pickup the Metroid: Other M part of my order, I found DR2, SWTFU2:CE, Epic Mickey CE, and NSMB. Saw (and left) PokePark, Madden 11, and WWE Smackdown.

LOL, I did SWFU II CE pickup order and they gave me the regular SWFU II softcover guides. They had CE guides in stock when I ordered them, but I guess the employees or someone wanted them.

They were clearly aware of the penny guide drop at this store because they had price tags on the leftover Madden and WWE guides for "$.01"

I think those softcover star wars guides are still like $19.99 but they gave them to me for 1 cent. It's better than nothing I suppose.

Just got out of Best Buy in Tuscaloosa where I was picking up an order for the Other M and Dead Rising 2 guides and checking their shelves. Apparently they screwed up my pickup order though and actually gave me a copy of the Other M *game* for $.01 rather than the guide. I don't even have a Wii but I didn't question it.

[quote name='sevenfold']Just got out of Best Buy in Tuscaloosa where I was picking up an order for the Other M and Dead Rising 2 guides and checking their shelves. Apparently they screwed up my pickup order though and actually gave me a copy of the Other M *game* for $.01 rather than the guide. I don't even have a Wii but I didn't question it.[/QUOTE]

That is quite the mistake, although the game has probably dipped in price so much it probably cost less than the guide multiple time.

All my guides ended up getting cancelled by today.

1 order was cancelled automatically, the other (DR2, SWFU2) said to call BB.com to check stores and get free shipping.
Called yesterday and they said their system was glitching all day, cancelling orders all over the place - said to call back tomorrow.
So I called today and their whole system is out of SWFU2 guides and DR2. grrrrr

My in-store pickup for the Cars 2 steelbook was also cancelled yesterday, but they said there were 4 in the store and just walked over and picked me up one.
Remember, on Monday morning the in-store customer service couldn't access BB.com system as it was down.

I'm rather disappointed with the BB.com ordering system about this whole debacle - it seems they had a cluster-fuck of a week.

Congrats to anyone who finagled a SWFU2 CE this week! :thumbsup:

I've given up on guide hunting since I always seem to strike out. Ironically enough, I went to trade in some games today and found a SWFUII CE and DR2 guide while just waiting for the trade in to process.

[quote name='sevenfold']Just got out of Best Buy in Tuscaloosa where I was picking up an order for the Other M and Dead Rising 2 guides and checking their shelves. Apparently they screwed up my pickup order though and actually gave me a copy of the Other M *game* for $.01 rather than the guide. I don't even have a Wii but I didn't question it.[/QUOTE]

I think you should take it back and correct their mistake, but that's just me.

I searched five different BBs on Thursday (McLean, VA; Springfield, VA; Alexandria, VA; Rockville, MD; Germantown, MD), and the fruits of my labor?

Three copies of the Pokepark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure guide. :booty:

I'm probably going to keep one (just to have), but the other two are going into my trade thread.

For future drops, I don't think I'll rush out to BBs given what I saw at those stores' guide sections--there really do seem to be employees in the gaming section who know what they're doing.

[quote name='Vigilante']I searched five different BBs on Thursday (McLean, VA; Springfield, VA; Alexandria, VA; Rockville, MD; Germantown, MD), and the fruits of my labor?

Three copies of the Pokepark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure guide. :booty:

I'm probably going to keep one (just to have), but the other two are going into my trade thread.

For future drops, I don't think I'll rush out to BBs given what I saw at those stores' guide sections--there really do seem to be employees in the gaming section who know what they're doing.[/QUOTE]

Wow. May I ask what area u live in? Thats alot of traveling. The MD stores in the area are good pulling guides. So u wont find any when it drops. I got lucky and shocked when I did in store pickup. Got x2 Starwars CE, x2 Metroid, x2 Deadrising 2. Got 1 Epic Mickey CE in Frederick. There were 2 left that I posted here awhile ago. ( Its not going to be on the shelf, u may have to ask if its in stockroom.I got it off the shelf and the employee took the other 2 and took it to the back? ) I have 1 of each if u are interested

I've gone back about 10 pages and I haven't found an answer...can I get a basic explanation of this? I don't understand what you mean by 'penny guides' They drop in price, to a really low price, and then we can pick them up before they're destroyed, at that low price?

I've noticed drops for a few guides that I could pick up, dating 8-11. Does that mean other Best Buys may have also dropped the price on those guides? If I go to my local Best Buy, what are the chances they'll have guides for a penny? Also (sorry for so many questions) how will I know that it's now a penny?

twitch3kv.gif

Read the OP in it's entirety(spoilered sections and all), then read the second post in it's entirety.

ALL of those guides in the second post are pennied at the stores that're listed above each list for each date >>> x.xx.xx

You're quite welcome. It happens to all of us at some point or other.:razz: Of course, the chances of finding most of what's listed in the second post is slim to nil unless your Best Buy/Gamestop stores have a whole section dedicated to guides and a ton of shelf space filled up with them.

But that's what the trading forum is for.;)

[quote name='The Punisher']Wow. May I ask what area u live in? Thats alot of traveling. The MD stores in the area are good pulling guides. So u wont find any when it drops. I got lucky and shocked when I did in store pickup. Got x2 Starwars CE, x2 Metroid, x2 Deadrising 2. Got 1 Epic Mickey CE in Frederick. There were 2 left that I posted here awhile ago. ( Its not going to be on the shelf, u may have to ask if its in stockroom.I got it off the shelf and the employee took the other 2 and took it to the back? ) I have 1 of each if u are interested[/QUOTE]I live in northern Maryland, and I was able to stop at those stores because I travel with my mom down to D.C. on Thursdays to help her with errands. The stores were in the general area, so they weren't really out of the way.

Thanks for the earlier post about the Frederick, MD store; maybe I'll stop by there again to ask about one of those Epic Mickey CEs...

I got some Cars 2 steelbooks, at least it wasn't a total bust.

PM me if you want to trade them for some of this BB drop as I was shut out of the guides.

Went on a road trip today and decided to check a BB I saw; after striking out at 4 best buys locally I finally found some guides :) Picked up one of each:
Dead Rising 2
Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Epic Mickey CE
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II CE
Sims 3

I finally hit up my closest BB tonight to check for guides. As expected there were ZERO to be found from the drop. The steelbook cases were also pulled, of course.:roll:

Oh well. Not like I wanted anything from this drop for any purpose other than trade fodder anyway.

Fallout 3 collector's dropped at bb? one of the stores I go to had many last week today they were wiped out not a single fo3c guide to be found I did find one each new super mario wii dragon age awakening dead rising 2.

[quote name='Vigilante']I live in northern Maryland, and I was able to stop at those stores because I travel with my mom down to D.C. on Thursdays to help her with errands. The stores were in the general area, so they weren't really out of the way.

Thanks for the earlier post about the Frederick, MD store; maybe I'll stop by there again to ask about one of those Epic Mickey CEs...[/QUOTE]

So were u able to get the epic mickey guides? There were 2 left, but the associate moved it to the stockroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back