Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
So lame. I finally found a place that had the Zelda Skyward Sword guide, but the employee said I have to renew my powerup membership for another year if I wanted that guide for free. Hell nah. I just renewed it a month ago.

I went to a Gamestop today to see what they had and almost every guide that was mentioned in this thread was there. The guys working there get enough grief shoved their way so I figured I'd ask him if they were allowed to sell them. He said his DM is pretty strict about not letting them sell them, so he couldn't.

Sucks, but what are you gonna do. I'd rather walk away without buying any than stress the guy out over something that he doesn't have any control over.

[quote name='coopscohen']Had an amazing haul at (2) GameStops today but more importantly I may have found out that Best Buy penny guides might be back.

I went to a store that I had never visited before and I remember someone had mentioned that it appeared as if there store did a pull. So I came across the Witcher 2 Guide and thought to check it as it was the oldest one I saw. Sure enough it rang up a penny. And that's where the good news stops for me.

The CSR tells me that's amazing and if there are anymore to grab them. I run back to the guides and grab the other Witcher 2 guide. She rings both up and as I'm about to pay, she says that she should probably check with her manager. Manager is a complete *!@#hole and tells me that he can't sell them to me or they will get fined. He goes on to say that it's obviously a mistake because Best Buy wouldn't sell anything for a penny. I tell him I've bought guides from other stores and online for a penny in which he responds that I probably got a lot of people fired. So I say well how about if you just let me have them. He tells me he can't do that and they have to be sent back. I relented as I could tell he wasn't going to let me have them. First time that I ever got denied at a Best Buy.

In any event, hope the penny guides are back because I know my local stores won't have a problem selling them to me for a penny.[/QUOTE] I remember one time at a BB I had a pretty big haul which I put in a cart. At the register they ended up calling a manager over and I was denied. However, I asked if I could just take one since I already did a lot of their work pulling the guides and he let me pick :lol:

Best buy drops were usually the 1st or 2nd Monday of the Month. Also there was a post on Slick deals with people getting guides online for a penny last week,I remember seeing.I always did better at best buy than Gamestop. Might have to stop in tommorrow and see.

[quote name='TheWooz']Best buy drops were usually the 1st or 2nd Monday of the Month. Also there was a post on Slick deals with people getting guides online for a penny last week,I remember seeing.I always did better at best buy than Gamestop. Might have to stop in tommorrow and see.[/QUOTE]

The scum at SD killed the guides in under 3 minutes. I was here right when the deal was posted, in under a minute. By the time I hit checkout shipping option was gone.

At Best buy all had a .01 sign. passed on XCOM, grabbed Mario kart 7and Super mario land 3d, noticed a sign for Kid icarus uprising but there were none. This was today, hope this helps someone

[quote name='SlimShadyAftermath']At Best buy all had a .01 sign. passed on XCOM, grabbed Mario kart 7and Super mario land 3d, noticed a sign for Kid icarus uprising but there were none. This was today, hope this helps someone[/QUOTE]

Did they ring you up at the cashier?or did they just had you the guide? Hopefully they haven't pulled those guides at my store. Looking at these Tom

[quote name='TheWooz']Sounds like we need to do some guide scanning at Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

Pointless. Stores were instructed to pull by Tuesday this past week. Both of my stores guide racks look like a barren wasteland now.

[quote name='SlimShadyAftermath']At Best buy all had a .01 sign. passed on XCOM, grabbed Mario kart 7and Super mario land 3d, noticed a sign for Kid icarus uprising but there were none. This was today, hope this helps someone[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. Guides being stickered for a penny is certainly a good sign (meaning they actually scan for a penny if they weren't pulled). Does anyone have a complete list?

[quote name='Josef']Thanks for the heads up. Guides being stickered for a penny is certainly a good sign (meaning they actually scan for a penny if they weren't pulled). Does anyone have a complete list?[/QUOTE]

Yeah that would be nice if the guides are scanning for a penny again. It's too bad it looks like they were already removed from the bestbuy.com

[quote name='Josef']Thanks for the heads up. Guides being stickered for a penny is certainly a good sign (meaning they actually scan for a penny if they weren't pulled). Does anyone have a complete list?[/QUOTE]
I doubt that's the case. A few months ago, I saw a $.01 tag for Dragon Age II, and it was removed from the system. First and last time thus far that I've seen a $.01 tag.

I found a Mario Kart 7 guide @ Best Buy and confirm what others have been saying about the SKUs being deleted from their system. After about 5 minutes the manager was cool enough to let me have it.

[quote name='OscillatingFerret']Just picked up a Resident Evil Archives II at GS. Loved it when she said after checking me out "I bet you didn't expect that."[/QUOTE]

And you said, "Actually, I did. Why don't YOU give me something I *didn't* expect?" She did check you out.

I kid. Their nose rings always ruin it.

[quote name='spacegundam0079']Huge drop at BB but sadly all the sku's have neen deleted. Had an xcom and mario scanned no go. :([/QUOTE]

Anybody know the remainder of the guides that were included in the drop.

woot woot. I was able to get two guides (zelda and darksiders 2). i played dumb when they rung me up (wow no way a penny) and preordered a game that i would cancel later down the road. Saw some more that were a penny. Going back tomorrow!

went to Best Buy in DeKalb, IL yest. They had "Fable The Journey" and "Tekken" stickered at 1 cent. I also found Mario Kart 7 (left 2) and the last "Kid Icarus" (sp?).

The manager and clerk didn't know what to do, but he was going to give me the ones marked as a penny, then did a price check on the others, verified 1 cent as the price, then said he couldn't sell them but I could just take them.

Not as quick and easy as it used to be but it was nice to get some BB penny guides again.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 CE is out of the system at Best Buy. My local store just gave it to me. I wish they had the other guides mentioned as I'm sure I would have got them also.

[quote name='coopscohen']Final Fantasy XIII-2 CE is out of the system at Best Buy. My local store just gave it to me. I wish they had the other guides mentioned as I'm sure I would have got them also.[/QUOTE]

I'll probably go check my bestbuy. I saw 5 of the Final Fantasy XIII-2 CE today. See if I can get one. Thanks for heads up.

I went to BB yesterday and got a couple games that were on sale. I wanted the Final Fantasy XIII-2 guide and Mass Effect 3. FFXIII-2 rung up $15 but ME3 wouldn't ring up and the clerk wouldn't sale it to me. :(

I wish Walmart and Target did pennied guides. There's a lot of good guides there and plenty of cashiers that wouldn't know the policy.

So wait darksiders 2 guide is ringing up a penny at best buy? I saw one there when I picked my darksiders 2 game up Friday.

[quote name='Outlaw1986']So wait darksiders 2 guide is ringing up a penny at best buy? I saw one there when I picked my darksiders 2 game up Friday.[/QUOTE]

No. Not as of a few days ago.

[quote name='punkrok0007']woot woot. I was able to get two guides (zelda and darksiders 2). i played dumb when they rung me up (wow no way a penny) and preordered a game that i would cancel later down the road. Saw some more that were a penny. Going back tomorrow![/QUOTE]

Where did this guy go then?

I found a FFXIII-2 CE guide at BB. It rang up not for sale, but the MOD pulled a SKU out of her a** and it rang up for $12.XX I got 15% off due to the game I bought, but I'll be returning it.

yah same thing happened here papa. manager came over typed in a special sku it didnt work. so he tells me well the regular guide is 14.99 so we can sell you it for that. i just white lied and said that i found it on the guide sale table they had(they had certain guides for 50% off). so not complaining i got the guide for 7 and change.

First ever Penny guide. Mass Effect 3 at BBY. They brought over 4 guys to try to figure out how to ring it up until one guy finally knwe what was going on. He just said "its your lucky day".
Thanks for everyone who posts in the thread.
They also had Uncharted 3. I looked at the OP and didn't see it.On my phone so maybe I missed it. Anyone know if it has hit a penny yet?

[quote name='mrclutch']First ever Penny guide. Mass Effect 3 at BBY. They brought over 4 guys to try to figure out how to ring it up until one guy finally knwe what was going on. He just said "its your lucky day".
Thanks for everyone who posts in the thread.
They also had Uncharted 3. I looked at the OP and didn't see it.On my phone so maybe I missed it. Anyone know if it has hit a penny yet?[/QUOTE]

Same exact thing happened to me with the ME 3 guide yesterday, down to the "it's your lucky day". Hah.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Same exact thing happened to me with the ME 3 guide yesterday, down to the "it's your lucky day". Hah.[/QUOTE]
Cool that its my fav game ever. Almost bought it at release. Glad I waited.

arrgh -my local BB had 5 FF13-2 CEs sitting on the shelf, and I got denied on the one I brought up. They told me to pay $20 and that the scan was "a glitch" - I said no, and then I saw them proceed to pull them all off the shelf. I was severely frustrated.

At least I didn't pull an IATCG and whine to corporate about it though. I'm hitting up my favorite BB tomorrow too, since they never pull there and I have substantially better luck at it.

I found Super Mario Land 3D and Mario Kart 7 at a BB today. Sup had no problem letting me have them. Afterwards I was chatting with another employee and noticed he was pulling guides, I didn't know others were pennied at BB. The rep pulled one Battlefield CE, one battlefield standard, two sleeping dogs, three transformers fall of cybertron. I took just the battlefield CE for myself as I had the others, a friend with me took one of transformers and sleeping dogs, we left the rest.

[quote name='Romeo']I found Super Mario Land 3D and Mario Kart 7 at a BB today. Sup had no problem letting me have them. Afterwards I was chatting with another employee and noticed he was pulling guides, I didn't know others were pennied at BB. The rep pulled one Battlefield CE, one battlefield standard, two sleeping dogs, three transformers fall of cybertron. I took just the battlefield CE for myself as I had the others, a friend with me took one of transformers and sleeping dogs, we left the rest.[/QUOTE]

That's cool that they just gave them to you. At my best buy if u want a guide that pennied out u have to by the game that goes with that game. When I want one of the CE I just by a used game of it and I get the guide for free.

Figures my phone was dead when I went to BB the other day, so I couldn't visit this thread :/ I was staring right at the ME3 guide going I wonder when this old thing will get reduced (while it had full price listed under it from all the new lazy employees.)

Might have to go back today to check, and keep my fingers crossed :'/

I tried picking up a ME3 guide today. The worker called the supervisor over and decided to use a similar guide (CoD: Blops 2) to ring me up. I said no thanks, and only bought Bulletstorm and 2 PSP games for a total of $4.

bread's done
Back