Reggie Fils-Aime Says the Hardcore is "Insatiable"

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']If only Nintendo could come up with an aesthetic that didn't look like a 3rd grade crayon drawing.[/quote]If only this wasn't a fucking stupid back-and-forth.

EDIT: Great, now I'm subscribed to this thread. To the User CP I go!

[quote name='The Crotch']If only this wasn't a fucking stupid back-and-forth.

EDIT: Great, now I'm subscribed to this thread. To the User CP I go![/quote]

If only...

First of all, Nintendo should be catering to the "Hardcore" because:
insatiable = unlimited profits, as long as they keep puming stuff out.

Second, use the VC to satisfy us "Hardcore" instead of whining about it. That would cost them nearly nothing in development time or money.

Third, keep us posted on what you're working on, Nintendo, and we would be happy. Problem is, I don't think you are actively working on many of the franchises we love.

Fourth, work on some new IP. Tell us about it. It may take years to complete, but we'd be happy just to hear about it.

Fifth, get more 3rd parties on board. I think they are making strides here, but the games will take time to show up at retail.

That is all.

The thing is on other consoles you're getting Halo 3, Fable 2, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Little Big Planet, Resident Evil 5, Gears of War, Gears of War 2, Resistance 2, Uncharted, Motorstrom 2, Crackdown, GTA 4, Mass Effect, Saint's Row, Saint's Row 2, Burnout, Metal Gear Solid 4, Bioshock, ect. I guess one Mario game per generation and Wii Fit beats that in Nintendo's eye... LOL.

As far as the actual games Nintendo has produced in the Wii's lifetime, it has been fantastic. Nintendo has released over 20 games in less than a two year span (obviously not including any VC/WiiWare titles). This is the most output of any previous Nintendo console. Now whether or not these games appeal to a certain sub-core groups of users is debatable, but you are delusional if you complain that the Wii has no games.

My two biggest complaints so far have been pacing, and no interest in importing titles that are complete. Why was Brawl and Mario Kart only released within one month of each other? Where is Disaster Day of Crisis, and Captain Rainbow?

Anyway, back to the article.

I thought it was more interesting that Reggie basically insulted the "hard core" Nintendo fans, yet those same people continue on and prove his very point. Quite frankly, I think that's the more interesting story than spewing of "lol nintedno sux, i'm selling my wii".

Umm... he's right. There's not much Nintendo can do development-wise. They've released games for all their big franchises already. They can't make every single game for the console.

But it's still Nintendo's fault that there are next to no interesting third party games for games for the Wii. If Nintendo actually helped market and support development of games like Zack and Wiki maybe more developers would be able make great games for the system.

Microsoft doesn't get half the shit Nintendo does. There are so many third party games that 1st party games like Fable 2 risk actually going under the radar. PG4 did. No one's complaining about MGS's output.

[quote name='soonersfan60']First of all, Nintendo should be catering to the "Hardcore" because:
insatiable = unlimited profits, as long as they keep puming stuff out.
[/quote]

Debatable, plus more audience total = more potential profit.

Second, use the VC to satisfy us "Hardcore" instead of whining about it. That would cost them nearly nothing in development time or money.

While I agree, my agreement is lessened simply because the last 2 months or so has been nice. But at best that's 1/6th of the year.

The best answer might be that there are more legal hoops that have to be negotiated than anyone knows about, which would help explain the abysmal rate of the VC, but that's really anyone's guess outside of Nintendo's lawyers.

Third, keep us posted on what you're working on, Nintendo, and we would be happy. Problem is, I don't think you are actively working on many of the franchises we love.

The old Nintendo strategy was to reveal anything they were working on when they began, which was good in the sense that we were always reassured. The bad part was that these games inevitably got delayed over and over, which made everyone angry.

The new strategy seems to be to reveal a game and then release it 3-4 months later (Warioland, Captain Rainbow, Pokemon Platinum, etc). This is good since we get stuff more quickly and aren't kept in a stasis state of anticipation-gradually-decreasing.

It's bad because Nintendo seems to do this in the extreme, when they need to pick and choose the battle more sincerely. I.e., there's probably no real reason some of the stuff that was revealed last Thursday couldn't have been shown at E3. I'm guessing Sin and Punishment 2 and/or Punch-Out could have been shown and been the proverbial sugar to help the medicine go down.

Really this is sort of the insatiable argument. Games could be revealed left and right and STILL there'd be people angry about it.

Fourth, work on some new IP. Tell us about it. It may take years to complete, but we'd be happy just to hear about it.

Did you miss the 4-5 new IP shown last Thursday? To say nothing of things like Captain Rainbow?

Fifth, get more 3rd parties on board. I think they are making strides here, but the games will take time to show up at retail.

This is slowly, slowly changing. The appearance of RPGs and some properties like The Conduit and Monster Hunter are the beginning. It remains to be seen whether or not this changes wholly. At this point, I'm really thinking it won't. Too many developers shrugged off the system in pre-release, too many did during these first two years, and too many still won't come on board. The ones that HAVE gotten on the trolley tend to do so with a half-assed devotion at best.

The nerds in the gaming audience and in the development sector have made it really clear - they'd all rather have pretty graphics.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']The thing is on other consoles you're getting Halo 3, Fable 2, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Little Big Planet, Resident Evil 5, Gears of War, Gears of War 2, Resistance 2, Uncharted, Motorstrom 2, Crackdown, GTA 4, Mass Effect, Saint's Row, Saint's Row 2, Burnout, Metal Gear Solid 4, Bioshock, ect. I guess one Mario game per generation and Wii Fit beats that in Nintendo's eye... LOL.[/QUOTE]

I like how you snuck in LittleBigPlanet, since it makes no sense to be on that list at all. As well as a bunch of games that are dated and 2+ years old.

Not to mention Wii Fit, since that's the only argument you've got, which is funny since Nintendo never acts like it's for you anyway. That's entirely constructed by the gaming nation - "Oh Nintendo thinks Wii Fit will win me over," when in reality they've couldn't care less about your opinion on that title.

Sorry Reggie, the "hardcore" isn't insatiable. They'er just tired of your rehashed franchises. Don't dig motion controls for the most part. Want HD graphics and robust online gaming, demos etc.

I don't game that much, and I'm more than 100% satisfied with the 360 and can't come close to play every game in it's library that I'd like to try. Where as the Wii got ditched early this year for the reasons above.

So in short, fuck off Reggie. "Hardcore" gamers don't need Nintendo, and you don't need us. Just keep making a killing off of kids, Nintendo fanboys, soccer moms and non-gamers and the rest of us will enjoy the tremendous game libraries on the other two platforms.

But it cuts both ways.

1. Nintendo needs to not bitch about the "hardcore" as they're making a killing by going after a different market.

2. The "hardcore" need to quit bitching about Nintendo. Their consoles have been good for little other than the handful of first party franchises worth playing for the past 3 generations, and this generation will be even worse in that regard with their different market and lower specs on the console.

You either own it for the 1st franchises and casual gamers, or you sell it/don't buy it and enjoy the other two platforms.

I can't believe Brawl just came out in March. I already think it's a pile of crap and it split the Smash community into pieces: those who want smash ball / items, those who don't, and those who want Melee. (I'm in the third group! ^^)

Mario Kart is also the same damn game with a couple of changes.

Galaxy is one of those weird games. It's fun but it seemed entirely unmotivating to pick up and actually play.

The difference is that the Wii lacks true competitive games.

man at the end of the day gamers just have an attitude like everybody owes them something...

I donno, that's how I usually perceive message board users.

when wii doesnt satisfy core gamers, I play something else instead of bitch about it,

and when good games come out for the Wii then I play good games on the wii

[quote name='Jest']Serious question here: What do you want from Nintendo?[/quote]

Real answer? An experience closer to what Japan gets. We are customers as well. Unfortunately, there are a lot of reasons this is never going to happen.

Let's start with the games. We all know Nintendo publishes great games but it is annoying and a little disheartening that US gamers get a lot of this stuff later than Japan with (arguably) worse box art and packaging, if we get it at all. A lot of this has to do with the way NOA and NCL decide which games come to the US market. NOA picks titles that are already far along in development and then works with a nearly finished product which it then releases in North America. It would be nice if there was NOA staff that developed concepts with NCL or at least began translation in conjunction with development at NCL. Good luck finding bi-lingual, talented programmers who are willing to work for the (less) pay offered to Japanese workers.

Nintendo's online solution is less than spectacular. Let's face it. Even without comparing it to LIVE or PSN it's substandard. It's great that it's free but the necessity of friend codes and the lack of a true messaging system (this changes with AC, I know) hold the service back. Furthermore, the VC selection is pretty terrible in comparison to what Japan gets. Japan has far more titles than we do and they get the hot shit much sooner. The storage solution is pretty terrible but understandable, given the piracy problem, but Nintendo could have done a better job with this. I also find it appalling that a VC purchase means you are effectively renting a game and do not own it or a license to re-download it to another console if your first box craps out and you buy a replacement.

Club Nintendo. It's obnoxious that this is coming to NA so late. During the GCN/GBA era I had all possible GBA games registered and was less than five away from completing the GCN games library. Check out this Zelda disc. It has roms of every Zelda game I've already got in my collection. I also registered about 15 DS games, 10 Wii games and 15+ VC games. Good thing.

The VC thing was the last straw. I only wanted to re-download three games and you would think that with my registered games numbering in the hundreds Nintendo would bend its policy. Nope.

Nintendo brought me a lot of good memories growing up and I'm glad for it but it seems like it's still very much the same company as it was then. I'm all set with that.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
2. The "hardcore" need to quit bitching about Nintendo. [/QUOTE]

"Do as I say, not as I do."

[quote name='JEKKI']man at the end of the day gamers just have an attitude like everybody owes them something...

when wii doesnt satisfy core gamers, I play something else instead of bitch about it,

and when good games come out for the Wii then I play good games on the wii[/QUOTE]

The little moments of clarity I see out of Jekki are always inspiring.

Then he goes back to talking about Bennie Mac being sucked into TVs and shit.

[quote name='Strell']"Do as I say, not as I do."
[/QUOTE]

Not really. I bitched before I wised up and ditched the console, but not since then. I follow the game market, so I have interest in topics like this, but I'm not wasting time bashing Nintendo anymore. They're making a killing so they're doing what's right for them.

Core gamers just need to quit bitching about them, and, conversely, Reggie shouldn't bitch about core gamers as they made a decision to not target them with anything beyond the standard 1st party franchises.

They're printing money from that decision so they should just ignore the core gamer complaints, or outright say they don't give a crap about that market like they pretty much did when they announced the Wii and said they were going to focus on casual gamers and non-gamers after getting killed by Sony the past two generations in the core gamer market.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Not really. I bitched before I wised up and ditched the console, but not since then.[/QUOTE]

I need to know what cocktail of drugs you ingest daily to create this fascinating limbo you're in. Making up quotes from execs, continuing to do something you say you don't. Just all this treasure trove of cognitive dissonance.

[quote name='Strell']I need to know what cocktail of drugs you ingest daily to create this fascinating limbo you're in. Making up quotes from execs, continuing to do something you say you don't. Just all this treasure trove of cognitive dissonance.[/QUOTE]

Similarly, I'd love to know what those of you who actually enjoy the Wii are on. :D

And I'm not bashing Nintendo--I said they're doing the right thing. I just don't like the direction they've went as it's totally divergent from what I want out of a gaming console, so of course I'm not going to have positive things to say about that. But I'm not going to bash Nintendo, they're making tons of cash after getting owned last generation so more power to them.

[quote name='Strell']Darn. Elitism.

I can't argue with that nonsense.[/QUOTE]

It was a joke. Lighten up Francis. Don't get your Mario panties in a bunch.

Different strokes for different folks. I couldn't care less that people like the Wii, or why the like it. It's not for me and there are two other consoles out there that offer the types of gaming I like, so no skin off my nose.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Similarly, I'd love to know what those of you who actually enjoy the Wii are on. :D

And I'm not bashing Nintendo--I said they're doing the right thing. I just don't like the direction they've went as it's totally divergent from what I want out of a gaming console, so of course I'm not going to have positive things to say about that. But I'm not going to bash Nintendo, they're making tons of cash after getting owned last generation so more power to them.[/quote]

You constantly bring up how Nintendo got "owned" last generation by Sony, but you always fail to mention that Microsoft LOST money last gen. And they didn't just lose some money, the lost A LOT of money.

[quote name='SL4IN']You constantly bring up how Nintendo got "owned" last generation by Sony, but you always fail to mention that Microsoft LOST money last gen. And they didn't just lose some money, the lost A LOT of money.[/QUOTE]

Yep, MS got owned by Sony as well, probably even worse. I'm not an MS fanboy. I don't like any of these 3 companies, I just begrudgingly give my money to them to play games. :D The 360 has the most games I want to play this generation, and I only have time for one console this generation so the 360 was my choice. Last gen the PS2 was my fave, though I owned all 3 then. And I played the GC more than the original X-box.

Next gen we'll see. MS has the edge going in as I've enjoyed their exclusives and X-box live, but things can change. I, like most people, though the PS3 would be the console to own this gen, but a $500-$600 launch price changed that fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love threads like these. It's so easy to skip the middle without caring.

Begin Thread:
Reggie made a comment that the hardcore game enthusiast (i.e. buys many games in a year) is "insatiable" in their appetite for the next big release? Is this a fair statement? Let's discuss the ramifications of a high-demand in this rapidly growing industry? Between lead production times and costs causing small developers to be bought up to survive and the technological advances we should have a spirited conversation. I'm sure many new ideas and opinions will enlighten us all.

Fast forward. >>>>>>>>

YUR System got PWNED!

Ahhh, the internet. How I love thee

[quote name='JEKKI']man at the end of the day gamers just have an attitude like everybody owes them something...

and when good games come out for the Wii then I play good games on the wii[/QUOTE]
*hugs Jekki*

And with that, I'm joining The Crotch and unsubscribing to this thread. There's only so much fanboy pissing match I can stand :roll:

[quote name='dmaul1114']Sorry Reggie, the "hardcore" isn't insatiable. They'er just tired of your rehashed franchises. Don't dig motion controls for the most part. Want HD graphics and robust online gaming, demos etc.

I don't game that much, and I'm more than 100% satisfied with the 360 and can't come close to play every game in it's library that I'd like to try. Where as the Wii got ditched early this year for the reasons above.

So in short, fuck off Reggie. "Hardcore" gamers don't need Nintendo, and you don't need us. Just keep making a killing off of kids, Nintendo fanboys, soccer moms and non-gamers and the rest of us will enjoy the tremendous game libraries on the other two platforms.

But it cuts both ways.

1. Nintendo needs to not bitch about the "hardcore" as they're making a killing by going after a different market.

2. The "hardcore" need to quit bitching about Nintendo. Their consoles have been good for little other than the handful of first party franchises worth playing for the past 3 generations, and this generation will be even worse in that regard with their different market and lower specs on the console.

You either own it for the 1st franchises and casual gamers, or you sell it/don't buy it and enjoy the other two platforms.[/QUOTE]
Very well said.

If Reggie considers Wii Fit to be a game for the "hardcore" crowd, then he's clearly fallen out of touch with Nintendo's fanbase. He may make Nintendo truckloads of money but I suspect that the goodwill of the fanbase will only be stretched to the end of this cycle, and they will be picking up another company's console when the next generation comes.

By then, the Wii will be left collecting dust on the shelf along with all the other "single-purpose" peripherals Nintendo seems to keep pumping out, clearly forgetting the lessons learned when "single-purpose" peripherals were a waste on the GBC and GBA.

Even after the hardcore base has left them, the casual gamers will also be reluctant to pick up another console and catalog of accessories with a Wii collecting dust atop a mountain of plastic peripherals.

From my perspective, the only way Nintendo could crawl out of this and continue this route into another generation is to release several major 1st-party titles near the end of the Wii lifecycle.

~HotShotX

Aono man. I think Nintendo just has to release something as awesome as Wii Sports with the next home console. We've all heard the stories about folks buying a Wii and playing nothing but Wii Sports on it.

Poor Nintendo, I think they could have the gaming industry by the bawlz....

Imagine if Brawl wasn't broken to make the casual audience happy? Jumping into games while voice chatting man...that would end all

Mario Kart where you can set up games anyone can play? Voice chatting 1v1 1v9 who cares

Single player games like Zelda/Metroid/Mario where you can upload your scores and compete with other Nintendo fans

DS battling online Pictochat online

Nintendo needs to have an online system similar to XBOX Live, with the games they have (I mentioned a small small number) they could dominate everyone

idk if they are scared? Or stubborn?

We might shun the next Nintendo console but the younger generation that's being raised on the Wii will flock to it. Nintendo is catering to them while Sony and Microsoft will cater to the ever shrinking hardcore. I say ever shrinking because most of us are getting advanced in our careers (or starting them). Most of us are having more kids and don't have time to game and will buy less and less games as the years go on. Gaming will less about us and more about our kids and Nintendo is giving the kids what they want.

[quote name='depascal22']We might shun the next Nintendo console but the younger generation that's being raised on the Wii will flock to it. Nintendo is catering to them while Sony and Microsoft will cater to the ever shrinking hardcore. I say ever shrinking because most of us are getting advanced in our careers (or starting them). Most of us are having more kids and don't have time to game and will buy less and less games as the years go on. Gaming will less about us and more about our kids and Nintendo is giving the kids what they want.[/QUOTE]

It's not shrinking. As we get older and game less, last generations kids are turning into teens and college students and buying more games and playing more games.

Kids that started on Wii this generation will be buying other consoles (along with Nintendo's) ins the future when they're older and making their own money. Hell, a lot of kids already play the other consoles--just get on X-box live sometime and see how many kids you run into.

The market for what Nintendo is doing will be there in the future, and so will the "hardcore." Neither is shinking. New kids are born and introduced to Nintendo and simple games, and as we get old and busy and stop gaming as much kids grow up and take our places in the "hardcore." Neither type of gaming is going anywhere.

I shouldn't have said shrinking but changing. Just like we grew up on Atari and NES and grew up to love Goldeneye, these kids are loving Mario Kart and Super Mario Galaxy. They won't be playing these games forever but Nintendo has figured out that it's better to cater to families than to the hardcore.

[quote name='depascal22']I shouldn't have said shrinking but changing. Just like we grew up on Atari and NES and grew up to love Goldeneye, these kids are loving Mario Kart and Super Mario Galaxy. They won't be playing these games forever but Nintendo has figured out that it's better to cater to families than to the hardcore.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. They couldn't compete with the "hardcore" as the last two generations showed.

The hardcore isn't shrinking, it's just as kids get older they get less interested in Nintendo's franchises and into stuff like Halo, GTA, Gears of War etc. Just like we got into Goldeneye, Metal Gear Solid, etc.

Of course many people grow up and still play Nintendo franchises, I still like a few of them myself, but their core appeal has always been to kids, and they've expanded that with the Wii and are raking in tons of $$$ as a result.

But Sony and MS will be just fine targeting the core gamers as that group isn't getting smaller, it's still growing with each generation. Nintendo expanding the market and getting more kids into gaming expands the core gamer market when the kids grow up.

Getting back to the OP, Reggie's right. Every time something comes out about a beloved franchise or a new console/handheld, people come out and bash it even before they get to play it. The hardcore obsess about it and are quick to bash if one detail isn't just right. Mario Kart had to be revolutionary even though it hasn't been revolutionary since the first one. People will willingly play the same old crap on Halo 3 but somehow expect more from Smash Bros.

We've gotten a Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Metroid, and Smash Bros. already and people just want more. Nothing is good enough. The Wii Fit is destroying gaming! Why doesn't the Wii cater to my needs? It's starting to get ridiculous.

[quote name='ninja dog']I didn't notice "Fils-Anime" until now :lol:

okay, resume super serious thread where matters are settled once and for all.[/QUOTE]

270911970_db35fdd4ca.jpg

CARRY ON!

We believe today that we have shown a plethora of games and genres that can satisfy the most casual to the most core. Even that doesn't seem like it's enough.

No you don't believe that, you couldn't care less as long as the Wii and DS keep selling.

Appealing to the casual Market was a very intelligent thing for Nintendo to do, but to say that you believe there's enough games out for the "most core" is either naive or incredibly stupid, or a meaningless sound bite.

Well, technically, we haven't gotten an actual Zelda game made for the Wii yet. :whistle2:\"

Jekki ended the thread a few pages back. If Ninty ain't making something that you like, then don't play the Wii, and play something else. Hell, Castle Crashers is good enogh for me right now, as well as MM9.

real "hardcore" gamers buy all the consoles so they don't run out of games to play. i've never run out of games. is that even possible? i almost always have to many.

i dunno guys... i consider myself a "hardcore" gamer and i own something like 20 wii titles(and i dont hold on to stuff that im not that into)

i'm also the type of gamer who's not going to turn his nose up at a casual game like peggle.. after all, how many of us spent countless hours playing green and black tetris on our brick Gameboys back in the day? so does that destroy my 'cred'? does that make me a casual gamer? or maybe it's because ive played only a total of 15 minutes of a halo game in my entire life. on the other hand, i've sat and played hours of MUDs and can remember downloading Apogee demos from a BBS over a 9600baud modem. I've explored caves and dungeons while never being able to see them, aside from the image conjured in my head by the written description on the screen. i've taken pads full of notes and drawn my own maps.

so , my point? it's impossible to define a hardcore gamer. you either like games or you dont. the key in all this is to buy the games you're going to like, and ignore the ones you won't. notice i did not say "complain about" the ones you won't like.. IGNORE THEM.

Reggie's statement is completely true except he's being political about it. it's not that "hardcore gamers" are insatiable,.. it's just that a lot of people are going to feel wronged no matter what, and feel an overextending sense of entitlement. these people need to understand that Nintendo's developmenet choices do not revolve around them. They need to inform themselves and find the great games - and trust me, they ARE out there -

And most importantly.. stop asking Nintendo for things like a new Zelda or Mario in less than 2 years after the previous ones. A 2-year-to-market Zelda is not a Zelda i'd be thrilled about playing.

Cliff Notes..
1. Nintendo is not out to satisfy any one person in particular
2. Trying to define "hardcore gamer" is stupid
3. There are TONS of great(and cheap) games on the Wii - put in the effort to read up on things and you will find them
4. When Zelda, Mario, and Metroid start coming out every year or two, they're going to suffer from rushed production.(thankfully, Nintendo would never bow to this)

[quote name='smoger']i dunno guys... i consider myself a "hardcore" gamer and i own something like 20 wii titles(and i dont hold on to stuff that im not that into)

i'm also the type of gamer who's not going to turn his nose up at a casual game like peggle.. after all, how many of us spent countless hours playing green and black tetris on our brick Gameboys back in the day? so does that destroy my 'cred'? does that make me a casual gamer? or maybe it's because ive played only a total of 15 minutes of a halo game in my entire life. on the other hand, i've sat and played hours of MUDs and can remember downloading Apogee demos from a BBS over a 9600baud modem. I've explored caves and dungeons while never being able to see them, aside from the image conjured in my head by the written description on the screen. i've taken pads full of notes and drawn my own maps.

so , my point? it's impossible to define a hardcore gamer. you either like games or you dont. the key in all this is to buy the games you're going to like, and ignore the ones you won't. notice i did not say "complain about" the ones you won't like.. IGNORE THEM.

Reggie's statement is completely true except he's being political about it. it's not that "hardcore gamers" are insatiable,.. it's just that a lot of people are going to feel wronged no matter what, and feel an overextending sense of entitlement. these people need to understand that Nintendo's developmenet choices do not revolve around them. They need to inform themselves and find the great games - and trust me, they ARE out there -

And most importantly.. stop asking Nintendo for things like a new Zelda or Mario in less than 2 years after the previous ones. A 2-year-to-market Zelda is not a Zelda i'd be thrilled about playing.

Cliff Notes..
1. Nintendo is not out to satisfy any one person in particular
2. Trying to define "hardcore gamer" is stupid
3. There are TONS of great(and cheap) games on the Wii - put in the effort to read up on things and you will find them
4. When Zelda, Mario, and Metroid start coming out every year or two, they're going to suffer from rushed production.(thankfully, Nintendo would never bow to this)[/quote]

this guy is correct. remember that nintendo is targeting everyone. everyone as in a game that targets one particular group or every group or both. electronic arts on their sports games for instance targets both groups and it doesn't mean they ditched one or the other. btw, the "hardcore" are narcissistic and when they don't get their way they cry and whine about it. proof, diablo 3.

Just give us Mother 3 already you evil, evil NOA you.

They know what the hardcore want, and it's not that hard to give it to them, they just don't give a shit. Mother 1 is already translated and owned by them, Earthbound could be put on the VC any day they want to, and Mother 3 on DS would take all of .005 percent of their precious wii money to bring to america, while giving endless amounts of goodwill to gamers in America.

fuck

[quote name='dmaul1114']Similarly, I'd love to know what those of you who actually enjoy the Wii are on. :D[/QUOTE]

It's called "having friends to play with." You should look into it.

But seriously, in my opinion, the Wii is by far the best machine to play with multiple friends in the same room (and DS is second). When I want to play alone, my time is distributed between all of the last 3 generations worth of consoles, plus PC, emulators, etc. There are a lot of great games out there...for all machines. If you don't have any friends or are too insecure in your manliness to be able to appreciate colorful non-violent games, go back to your parent's basement, play your 360, and shut the fuck up.

Wait, is this thread about the Wii getting Halo? If so, I'm so excited. I love Halo so much I want to take it to a bar, get it drunk and have little Halo Jr. Babies.

Hardcore gamer? Softcore gamer? Casuals? Friendlies? SRS GAMING LEAGUES? Fanboys? Counter-fanboy fanboys? Every thread gets so derailed so quickly over this crap. Let me break out the paddle to beat the dead horse (it died of natural causes, back off PETA).

Mirror, Mirror. Who has the most hardcore gamers of them all?
Answer: Nobody. We're just as full of posers and 8 year olds as any other industry... Hey, who is up for the good old cliche that they liked video games before they were popular?

[quote name='depascal22']Getting back to the OP, Reggie's right. Every time something comes out about a beloved franchise or a new console/handheld, people come out and bash it even before they get to play it. The hardcore obsess about it and are quick to bash if one detail isn't just right. Mario Kart had to be revolutionary even though it hasn't been revolutionary since the first one. People will willingly play the same old crap on Halo 3 but somehow expect more from Smash Bros.

We've gotten a Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Metroid, and Smash Bros. already and people just want more. Nothing is good enough. The Wii Fit is destroying gaming! Why doesn't the Wii cater to my needs? It's starting to get ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this as well. Nintendo has done a great job of getting their first party games out. People have nothing to bitch about. People should've known from the past two generation that there wouldn't be a whole lot to play on a Nintendo console besides Nintendo games. Their 3rd party support has been pretty crappy from the N64 on.

If one sees nothing else they want to play, then sell it like I did. I enjoyed Mario, Metroid and Zelda, saw little else I wanted since that's all their franchises I like, so I wised up and got rid of it. Others complaining should do the same, or just shut up and wait out the drought until the next round of big franchise games rolls along.

[quote name='n8n8baby']It's called "having friends to play with." You should look into it.

But seriously, in my opinion, the Wii is by far the best machine to play with multiple friends in the same room (and DS is second). [/QUOTE]

Disagree. My friends and I didn't care for it much, and much prefer playing 360 multiplayer. Guitar Hero, Gears of War co-op, fighting games etc.

The Wii was good for parties when we had a lot of non-gamers over, but I don't have big parties at my place often as I hate cleaning up the mess.

So it's just a matter of different strokes for different folks. The Wii offers a very different style of gaming from the 360/PS3 and simply isn't for everyone. There's nothing wrong with it, just aside from Mario, Metroid and Zelda the games weren't my bag as I mainly only like FPS and western RPG games these days. Others have different tastes and have tons of Wii games they like.

Different strokes for different folks. No need to toss out a bunch of petty insults about people not having friends or living in their mom's basement just because they don't enjoy the type of gaming the Wii offers.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back