Reggie Fils-Aime Says the Hardcore is "Insatiable"

I don't even know where to begin with his statement. I really wish Nintendo could convince me to just own their home console, and I won't feel like I'm really missing out on some quality titles by not buying the competition. They haven't been able to do that for me since the SNES. I just get tired of hearing them mention the same old games as they try to please the "hardcore" crowd. They should just stick to their method and keep making all that money. They don't even need to bother with it anymore. I don't need 40 new games in the span of 3 months. Mario games don't interest me. Gimmick games don't interest me. Zelda games don't interest me. Nothing on the Wii interests me. It has nothing to do with "OMG why can't I buy a new game every 5 minutes?"

This is pretty simple. Nintendo doesn't CARE about the hardcore gamer anymore. They've shifted gears. People who don't know much about games bring them most of their money now. No point complaining about it, because Nintendo is a business, and they're obviously doing great targeting the casual market. That's pretty much it.

It's easier just to grab a 360 or PS3 and be done.

[quote name='jer7583']Just give us Mother 3 already you evil, evil NOA you.

They know what the hardcore want, and it's not that hard to give it to them, they just don't give a shit. Mother 1 is already translated and owned by them, Earthbound could be put on the VC any day they want to, and Mother 3 on DS would take all of .005 percent of their precious wii money to bring to america, while giving endless amounts of goodwill to gamers in America.[/quote]

Yeah. Not happening.

NOA can't/won't make any money by releasing Mother stateside. It's not going to happen. The fan translation is less than a month away so it's all good.

Gee, it must be rough to have a customer base that can't wait to give you more money. If only every sector of our economy had his problem.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Damn. This thread is decidedly less sexy than I hoped for when I read "insatiable"[/quote]
Lord Kefka... you're insatiable.

[quote name='Strell']Brute Force.[/quote]Dont you mess with Brute Force, Strell.

Title has been fixed. And, haven't we been through all this when e3 ended this year?

[quote name='Strell']
About the only one applicable on that list is Metroid, and that game gets so little attention it's downright criminal.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the defining moment on that for me was when Cheapy and Wombat discussed it on the CAGcast and Cheapy siad he's sure it is great, but with single-player games like this there's no need to play it any time soon since there's no online component to get in on. But then he goes off and plays all the AAA 360 single-player games ASAP (Bioshock, Mass Effect, Stranglehold ;), etc)... I thought Metroid was an awesome game that showed that Wii controls (pointer at least and not so much the waggle) could be done very well for a "traditional" game. And it had graphics that came close to matching the 360 ('cept for them jaggies - gotta hate the jaggies).

But yeah, I have a ton of Wii games I haven't had the time to get to (along with tons of 360 games too). Frankly, I don't want any more new games to come out for any systems for a year so I can catch up. I call time out.

[quote name='smoger'] on the other hand, i've sat and played hours of MUDs and can remember downloading Apogee demos from a BBS over a 9600baud modem. I've explored caves and dungeons while never being able to see them, aside from the image conjured in my head by the written description on the screen. i've taken pads full of notes and drawn my own maps.[/QUOTE]

Wow, a blasto from my pasto ;). But 9600 baud? Damned whippersnapper!

Let's do a comparison. Here's what's coming out for the three systems that I'm looking forward to in some way this year or the beginning of next year:

PS3/360
Call of Duty: World At War
Dead Space
Fallout 3
Far Cry 2
Guitar Hero: World Tour
Prince of Persia
Resident Evil 5
Saints Row 2
Skate 2
Tom Clancy's EndWar

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Fable 2
Gears of War 2
Last Remnant

PS3
Little Big Planet
Resistance 2
SOCOM: Confrontation

Wii
Animal Crossing: City Folk

[quote name='guinaevere']
Title has been fixed. And, haven't we been through all this when e3 ended this year?[/quote]

Why you go and fix a good thing?

OK, I can play this game too. I've adjusted your quote for what I'm interested in:

[quote name='evanft']Let's do a comparison. Here's what's coming out for the three systems that I'm looking forward to in some way this year or the beginning of next year:

PS3/360
Call of Duty: World At War
Dead Space
Fallout 3
Far Cry 2

Guitar Hero: World Tour (note, this is also coming out for Wii, so it was cheap to call it "PS3/360" only)
Prince of Persia
Resident Evil 5
Saints Row 2
Skate 2
Tom Clancy's EndWar

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Fable 2
Gears of War 2
Last Remnant

PS3
Little Big Planet
Resistance 2
SOCOM: Confrontation

Wii
Animal Crossing: City Folk
Tales of Symphonia 2[/QUOTE]

So yeah, I guess I'll hold off on that PS3 purchase for a little while longer ;). No doubt there's some good stuff for the 360 coming out, even in the non-shooter category. But I'm glad I have both the 360 and the Wii. I also need to finish WarioWorld and rent or purchase de Blob to catch up on some recent releases (while nothing has come out for the 360 in a while that I've wanted except I'd probably want to play Lego Batman on the 360).

Yeah, it's just totally a case of different strokes for different folks. I mainly play shooters, western RPGs and the occasional sports game or fighting game so there's a lot that appeals to me on the 360 and PS3 and not much of anything on the Wii as it pretty much blows for those genres.

[quote name='soonersfan60']dmaul, you forgot to mention that you ditched your Wii also, in case there are any newbies reading this thread... :roll:[/QUOTE]

There's no way not to be repetitive in these dumbass threads. The only response to fanboy nonsense, lists of games people are looking forward to on one console or another is simply "different strokes for different folks."

The fact that people have loyalty to any of these companies drive me nuts. I have loyalty to any companies in any industry, they all exist soley to bend us over and screw us for as much money as possible. Just buy the console(s) that have the games you want to play, and play them and talk about them rather than going on the net and being a little, nerdy fanboy loser defending the company who sold you an overpriced hunk of plastic.

[quote name='guinaevere']Lord Kefka... you're insatiable.

Dont you mess with Brute Force, Strell.

Title has been fixed. And, haven't we been through all this when e3 ended this year?[/QUOTE]

QFT. Ha, got it now! :)

Back on topic, being a big Nintendo fan all my life I'd say we're just more disappointed. The level of game has been stepped up dramatically. Nintendo has made a very wise sales choice in going family centered and getting it right. The Wii continues to be a "fad" as it's been called for multiple years and is still going strong.

While my business has gone to Microsoft, I still get warm fuzzies from Nintendo characters and games. There's just not enough of them for me. And that seems like the point that Reggie was making. Not enough AAA titles. But that has to come from third parties too. And many of the big developers have had difficulty with Wii since it's such a different machine and adjusting the port is more like a remake. So then unless it's created for the Wii specifically, it's been seen as "lesser" than the version on the other systems.

And let's not mention the wave of cheap, poorly made games. I don't need another Mario or Zelda right now, but I need something big. And Animal Crossing and Wii Music just isn't cutting it for the "hardcore" gamer. We need a little more meat in there. I don't think I'd be satisfied with the games on Wii.

Then again....I'm insatiable. ;)

[quote name='dmaul1114']Just buy the console(s) that have the games you want to play, and play them and talk about them[/quote]
Isnt this THE EXACT OPPOSITE of what you normally do in threads related to the Wii?

Lets all google insatiable and post the pics here.

lka0025l.jpg

I dont go into every 360/PS3 related thread and bitch about how the games arent for me and how I ditched the 360 (I bought one at launch for use at a convention). I should hope that it wouldnt be tolerated if I did.

Surely you can at least recognize that it would be at least ANNOYING if I did do that.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Isnt this THE EXACT OPPOSITE of what you normally do in threads related to the Wii?[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying people can have reasonable discussions of the pros and cons of consoles, but these threads always go way overboard with people defending/promoting their console of choice rather than just saying what they like or dislike about consoles and not giving a shit what others say.

The problem is people go out of the way to bash the consoles they don't like or, conversely, to promote/defend the ones they do. i.e. fanboys like you think I'm bashing Nintendo when I simply say it's not for me as it doesn't have the type of games or gaming experience (graphics, controls, online etc.) I enjoy. Making statements like that is fine IMO. The problem is people who just say "Wii sucks" and with people who get pissed off over simple statements like what I've posted. There's no reason to take gaming that serious. Games are fun time wasters. Nothing more.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I dont go into every 360/PS3 related thread and bitch about how the games arent for me and how I ditched the 360 (I bought one at launch for use at a convention). I should hope that it wouldnt be tolerated if I did.

Surely you can at least recognize that it would be at least ANNOYING if I did do that.[/QUOTE]

Well genius, this is a thread specifically realted to COMPLAINTS about the Wii, and is posted in general gaming. It's not like I went in the Wii forum and posted such comments. It's a thread about the Wii lacking core games.

You only own the Wii and a DS and absolutely hate the competition. Why don't you just stay the fuck out of general gaming and stay in the Wii and DS forums and you're nerdy fanboy sensibilities won't be offended by negative comments about your precious Nintendo. Better yet, since you hate online and any thing related to technology, why don't you just stay off the internet period?

[quote name='dmaul1114']There's no way not to be repetitive in these dumbass threads. The only response to fanboy nonsense, lists of games people are looking forward to on one console or another is simply "different strokes for different folks."

The fact that people have loyalty to any of these companies drive me nuts. I have loyalty to any companies in any industry, they all exist soley to bend us over and screw us for as much money as possible. Just buy the console(s) that have the games you want to play, and play them and talk about them rather than going on the net and being a little, nerdy fanboy loser defending the company who sold you an overpriced hunk of plastic.[/quote]

I really haven't seen much in this thread that I would deem to be "fanboy" stuff, but you seem to have the need to search it out no matter what thread it is in. And actually, if it's in a Wii thread, I don't really see the problem with "fanboy" stuff anyway. Most people who are in a Wii thread actually like the Wii (present company excepted). The only time when "fanboy" stuff should annoy you or anyone is when it is by people who talk about a console other than the topic of the thread (which is what you always seem to enjoy doing).

Edit: And "Reggie" in the title makes this a Wii thread, even if it is in the "General Gaming" forum...

[quote name='dmaul1114']

Well genius, this is a thread specifically realted to COMPLAINTS about the Wii, and is posted in general gaming. It's not like I went in the Wii forum and posted such comments. It's a thread about the Wii lacking core games.

You only own the Wii and a DS and absolutely hate the competition. Why don't you just stay the fuck out of general gaming and stay in the Wii and DS forums and you're nerdy fanboy sensibilities won't be offended by negative comments about your precious Nintendo. Better yet, since you hate online and any thing related to technology, why don't you just stay off the internet period?[/QUOTE]
kaneklaplt7.gif

[quote name='soonersfan60']
Edit: And "Reggie" in the title makes this a Wii thread, even if it is in the "General Gaming" forum...[/QUOTE]

I never said it wasn't a Wii thread. I said it was a Wii thread related to people's thoughts about the core games (or lack of them) on the Wii, and thus posting negative opinions on the Wii library is perfectly on topic. And not a thread crap as DMK was implying. If he doesn't want to read negative opinions on the Wii, then he should stay out of general gaming and especially from a thread like this where it's sole purpose is to discuss the console's game line up.

And if he thinks my posts are annoying or repetitive, he can put me on ignore as I've encouraged him to do multiple times.

You mistake my loyalty to principles as loyalty to a company. I will likely hate Nintendo's home console division like no other next cycle. You can expect I wont be visiting WiiHD threads.

Regarding the ignore function, this is a problem I've brought up in the help subforum before. Its not robust enough. There is a second level of ignore that may not exist anymore that I've seen used before, where the offending poster's post dont show up at all. Therefore they cant be quoted either. Something like that, to where you cant see that the poster has made a post at all, and that posts showing quotes of the source post will not be shown as well.

If my posts so offend you, put me on ignore, and have the will power to not respond to my posts if they happen to get quoted. It's not rocket science.

And again, if you're so opposed to technological advancements, stay under your fucking rock and off the fucking internet.

Again, I'm not opposed to technological development. I just want the technology to be used a certain way. I'm pro waggle and I'm super pro for Square-Enix's mind control device and any similar experiments to actually improve the interface. I intend to be for VR someday depending on its implementation.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']
kaneklaplt7.gif
[/quote]

Lol. That guy is insatiable. Rosebud motherfuckers. Oh and I'm not excited about any games on the wii. I don't even pay attention to the previews and such. I'm focused on the DS.

I think the point alot of us were making is that Reggie is right. Everyone likes to bitch bitch bitch.

There's three great consoles and two great handhelds on the market right now. With all these choices, there's got to be something you'll enjoy. Instead of bitching about what you don't have (which is what alot of you like to do), rejoice in what you do have. Be thankful that the video game industry is big enough to support five different platforms. Be thankful that we have a way to play hardcore shooters and fun casual games.

My question to the hardcore Wii owners is this: What did you expect? Seriously, every franchise has seen a Wii version. It might not be exactly what you want but Nintendo has released a new Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Mario Party, and soon to be Animal Crossing. Every major franchise under Nintendo's umbrella has been covered. Not every one of them can be the best game in the history of the franchise. All of you that think otherwise are hopelessly naive. You'll never get any enjoyment from anything because it always sucks.

[quote name='depascal22']I think the point alot of us were making is that Reggie is right. Everyone likes to bitch bitch bitch.

There's three great consoles and two great handhelds on the market right now. With all these choices, there's got to be something you'll enjoy. Instead of bitching about what you don't have (which is what alot of you like to do), rejoice in what you do have. Be thankful that the video game industry is big enough to support five different platforms. Be thankful that we have a way to play hardcore shooters and fun casual games.

My question to the hardcore Wii owners is this: What did you expect? Seriously, every franchise has seen a Wii version. It might not be exactly what you want but Nintendo has released a new Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Mario Party, and soon to be Animal Crossing. Every major franchise under Nintendo's umbrella has been covered. Not every one of them can be the best game in the history of the franchise. All of you that think otherwise are hopelessly naive. You'll never get any enjoyment from anything because it always sucks.[/quote]

Once I get Shenmue 3 I will stop bitching.

[quote name='depascal22']I think the point alot of us were making is that Reggie is right. Everyone likes to bitch bitch bitch.

[/quote]

My question to the hardcore Wii owners is this: What did you expect? Seriously, every franchise has seen a Wii version. It might not be exactly what you want but Nintendo has released a new Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Mario Party, and soon to be Animal Crossing. Every major franchise under Nintendo's umbrella has been covered. Not every one of them can be the best game in the history of the franchise. All of you that think otherwise are hopelessly naive. You'll never get any enjoyment from anything because it always sucks.

For me, I'll admit I bought a Wii at launch for 2 reasons. Brand loyalty and I thought the PS3 and 360 were too expensive at the time. It was a mistake, and I'm glad I have a 360 and not a Wii now.

As for games, I was happy for the first 6 months. Mario, metroid and Zelda (even though it was a GC game) were very good. But after that there was nothing as I don't care for Smash Brothers and have long been sick of Mario Kart, and there was not (and still isn't) a single game on the horizon that interested me.

But I was smart enough to finally ditch the system and pick up a 360 rather than hold on to the Wii and keep bitching about the lack of games I want to play over and over and over again. Though again I'll admit I did that for a couple months longer than I should have this spring.

So I agree very much with the first part of your post. There are 3 consoles, 2 handhelds and PC gaming out there. People should be able to find plenty of games that interest them. They just need to buy the right console(s) and skip/ditch the ones they aren't enjoying.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']Once I get Shenmue 3 I will stop bitching.[/QUOTE]

You have a lifetime of bitching ahead of you.

I'll stop bitching when Sega gets back to making the best games on the planet and reenters the hardware business.

I too have a lifetime of bitching ahead of me.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Regarding the ignore function, this is a problem I've brought up in the help subforum before. Its not robust enough. There is a second level of ignore that may not exist anymore that I've seen used before, where the offending poster's post dont show up at all. Therefore they cant be quoted either. Something like that, to where you cant see that the poster has made a post at all, and that posts showing quotes of the source post will not be shown as well.[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='Halo05']You have a lifetime of bitching ahead of you.

I'll stop bitching when Sega gets back to making the best games on the planet and reenters the hardware business.

I too have a lifetime of bitching ahead of me.[/quote]

We shall bitch together forever.

basically gamers got spoiled with a new ps2 game coming out every other day.

it's not like it used to be where gamers played super mario world for 3 years before moving on to a new game.

There's three great consoles and two great handhelds on the market right now.
[/QUOTE]
And if you own a Wii + something else, you're probably fine. But the point is that the Wii doesn't offer enough to satisfy on its own, not that gamers can't be satisfied with everything. I only owned a Wii up until about 3 weeks ago. When a new Nintendo release would come, I would play and beat it on the first weekend I had free and then not touch the Wii until the next release with nothing to play inbetween. The only game to break that mold was SSBB, and that was thanks to the online multiplayer. After waiting for nintendo press events and such and seeing that nothing of interest was coming, I bought a 360. Now I am certainly satiated. With constant multplatform games and the exclusives of the 360 (plus all the previously released games I missed out on) along with (eventually I'm guessing) future first party titles of nintendo, I always have a game I could get and be happy with.

[quote name='depascal22']My question to the hardcore Wii owners is this: What did you expect?[/quote]
Mainly, I expected quality and inventive games. Not only from nintendo, but from 3rd parties. You're right that Nintendo first party stuff has been pretty well taken care of, but we need things from 3rd parties inbetween nintendo games. Of course I don't expect Nintendo to constantly release first party stuff, they've never done that, but in the past, there were quality games from 3rd party developers to bridge the gaps.

it's too bad 3rd parties don't want to deal with the wii, after seeing Zack and Wiki bomb, who can blame them?

the user base is 30 million + but the attach rate is probably 2 games per console, namely mario ones.

it seems that right now, nintendo just wants to push out their consoles. When sales fall, they'll start to shift towards making games for their new 60 million userbase or whatever. Because selling each wii owner a couple of new AAA game is almost the equivalent of selling another 30 million consoles.

nintendo makes their money on hardware whereas all other companies make it on software and online service. Which is fine because selling 1 console at a profit with 2 games as opposed to a console at a loss but with 6-8 games is a way better strategy I believe. Lets not forget those subscriptions! Subscriptions are always the most profitable thing in almost any industry.

Doubt it will reach the 140 million of the ps2. But I'm curious to find out!

[quote name='cochesecochese']Yeah. Not happening.

NOA can't/won't make any money by releasing Mother stateside. It's not going to happen. The fan translation is less than a month away so it's all good.[/quote]
You really think that Nintendo couldn't make money on Mother 3 via Wiiware? With the rabid fanbase this series has they could move plenty of copies at $15. And the Secret Of Mana was just released on the VC. I'm sure Earthbound would sell just as many copies and Nintendo wouldn't have to split the money with SE. I mean look at some of the dreck that's been released on the VC, yet no Mother/Earthbound games. For whatever reason, NOA has no interest in this series and couldn't care less about how many people want to see it.

[quote name='Casiotech']it's too bad 3rd parties don't want to deal with the wii, after seeing Zack and Wiki bomb, who can blame them?
[/QUOTE]

Third parties shouldn't make much out of Z&W failing. Point and click adventures is a niche, at best, genre.

If third parties want to see if something sells, they need to make a top notch AAA game in a major genre like FPS and see how that sells. Likely it wouldn't sell well as the core Wii base isn't into such genres--thus the Wii is stuck with Nintendo franchises and casual games like Wii Fit as that's what the bulk of the user base bought the console for. So third parties are kind of limited to those genres if they want to sell big numbers, and better off going to the 360/PS3 if they want to put out FPS games, action games, RPGs etc.

[quote name='crystalklear64']But the point is that the Wii doesn't offer enough to satisfy on its own, not that gamers can't be satisfied with everything. [/quote]

You make a great point. My thing is, why would anyone expect the Wii to be different than the Gamecube? The Gamecube had great Nintendo games and so so support from 3rd party publishers.

The Wii has a much bigger base but nothing that would make a 3rd party publisher want to publish a game. Like you said, Zack & Wiki bombed. So you have a system that's in every house but everyone is just playing one or two games. Kids are getting a birthday present and a Christmas present and it's not being wasted on hardcore games. Everyone can bitch about it or find a system with the games you want.

Yeah, that was a point I made earlier. Neither the N64 or GC offered nearly enough core games to satisfy a "hardcore" gamer, so people were silly to expect anything different this time.

For "hardcore" gamers the Wii really won't work as a sole console. But it's a nice complement to the PS3/360 if you like the types of games on the Wii as it offers something much different than those two consoles.

[quote name='mogamer']You really think that Nintendo couldn't make money on Mother 3 via Wiiware?[/quote]

Not enough to make it worthwhile, no. To translate it and then either code a GBA emulator to WiiWare or port the game to some other container it would cost a small fortune. I really and truly doubt Nintendo would sell more than 30k copies of it as well. The game just has no appeal outside of 'gamer' circles.

Yeah, the whole rabid fanbase for Mother 3 is a little misleading. I have no doubt that alot of people would love to see the game on the VC but it's nothing like the people lining up to get Madden or Halo. Those are rabid fanbases.

I f'ing hate Reggie. At one point I thought he was the wisest player in the industry. Now, he's just a corporate tool. Granted, I understand that companies are in business to make money. But, what about soul? He ripped the soul out of Nintendo. This is especially surprising coming from a Japanese company where they have values and pride. Not anymore.

Here's the thing....Nintendo needs to make games that I (and anyone else I talk to that isn't a recently converted Mom...no i'm not being facecious) want to play. I own three games for the Wii, the very system I camped out for when it launched. They are Wii Sports, Zelda and Disney Princess for my 3 year old Daughter.

So, do reply to Reggie directly, "Sir, you've slapped your "core" fans in the face enough over the last few years. Please restrain yourself from verbally attacking those who actually stuck with the company during the Nintendo 64 days. It's classless."

Thank you, i'm off my soapbox now.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I f'ing hate Reggie. At one point I thought he was the wisest player in the industry. Now, he's just a corporate tool. Granted, I understand that companies are in business to make money. But, what about soul? He ripped the soul out of Nintendo. This is especially surprising coming from a Japanese company where they have values and pride. Not anymore.[/quote]

NOA has always been under an incredibly short leash to NCL. Come on, deep down you know all that shit Reggie was talking was an act. Yamauchi is one psychopathic bastard and he built the hierarchy that controlled all of Nintendo.

nintendo doesn't care about the n64 people. They have a new fanbase now (grandma and grandson) they don't need any of you.

bread's done
Back