Resistance 2 CAG Clan/Night - Get yo ass on! - Friday Nights @ 7PM PST/10PM EST

I started playing more competitive and I really like it now. At first I wasn't into it because it was so different from R1's multiplayer but it grew on me.

On skirmish mode when you have orders to take a beacon, but the other team basically dominates and keeps you from it, is it normal that they keep getting points? I mean, is there no timer so that it changes to another objective? Kind of defeats the purpose of the game mode to me if it hovers on one single objective the whole time.

I LOVED R1's multiplayer competitive, and when I first played R2's it felt kind of slow. Also the fact that R2's competitive levels are much bigger and more maze-y doesn't help either. But it is starting to grow on me, I totally agree.

By the time I stopped playing R1, I was typically top 5 in any deathmatch and I was winning fairly regularly. But that was after a LOT of practice, and besides, by the time I became good all of the elite players weren't playing any more so the field was a little diluted. But man, there were a couple of times when I won 25-4 and stuff like that. It was awesome.

[quote name='NamPaehc']I started playing more competitive and I really like it now. At first I wasn't into it because it was so different from R1's multiplayer but it grew on me.

On skirmish mode when you have orders to take a beacon, but the other team basically dominates and keeps you from it, is it normal that they keep getting points? I mean, is there no timer so that it changes to another objective? Kind of defeats the purpose of the game mode to me if it hovers on one single objective the whole time.[/quote]

When you're capturing a beacon there's a meter above that changes from red to blue (when the blue bar is full you get 10 points) then the objective changes to defend the beacon which doesn't actually give any points until it is successfully defended (i think it's when no enemies are nearby but I can't tell) and then it only gives 5 points. So they shouldn't gain points continuously while defending, only when the objective changes to something new. Perhaps you hit some kind of bug where it kept giving the same objective, but I have never seen that.

[quote name='pete5883']Also, does the shotgun ever 1-hit kill anyone? Do you have to be right on top of your target? Because I landed a lot of close range shots on people with the shotgun, and they still took a while to kill.[/QUOTE]

you need patience for shotguns. its very powerful because you get a instant kill with one shot with r2. but you have to up close and personal. that means that can't be running while firing or moving the reticule all around like crazy.

the most weapons i see are:
carabine + 40s (r2 fire... totally awesome.. 90% instant kill)
wraith
marksman
fareye

pick one that fits your style. and play a shit load to get used to it.

my weapon is choice is the carabine. inf has the fareye.

You see the Bullseye a lot on small levels too. Sometimes the Splicer and Bellock too. My personal fav is the Bullseye, but I use the Fareye a lot too since all the maps are so big.

[quote name='enufs8d']you need patience for shotguns. its very powerful because you get a instant kill with one shot with r2. but you have to up close and personal. that means that can't be running while firing or moving the reticule all around like crazy.

the most weapons i see are:
carabine + 40s (r2 fire... totally awesome.. 90% instant kill)
wraith
marksman
fareye

pick one that fits your style. and play a shit load to get used to it.

my weapon is choice is the carabine. inf has the fareye.[/quote]

How do you get R2 fires for the carbine, I always get killed by them, but never have them if I use the gun. Is it a level thing? speaking of which, when do you get the LAARK and does that come with a R2 shot, if it's anything like in single player that will be a killing machine.

[quote name='silks']I LOVED R1's multiplayer competitive, and when I first played R2's it felt kind of slow.[/quote]

You said it. I had some really fond memories of R1's MP. But to think of it, it took me a little while to get used to the controls and gameplay there too.

[quote name='happy']Perhaps you hit some kind of bug where it kept giving the same objective, but I have never seen that.[/quote]

Maybe, I thought it was a bug too. But also I was thinking, do the different squads have different objectives? Because I just played a match and for some reason half my team wasn't helping us attack the beacon. A swarm of their team kept going to the other side of the map to battle them so maybe that could be it?

[quote name='happy']How do you get R2 fires for the carbine, I always get killed by them, but never have them if I use the gun. Is it a level thing? speaking of which, when do you get the LAARK and does that come with a R2 shot, if it's anything like in single player that will be a killing machine.[/quote]

I've picked up an ammo crate which gave me the carbine nade, not sure if you can start with it.

And the LAARK does have a secondary fire, I just got smashed with it lol.

[quote name='shaigunjoe']Hi all, plan on joining you guys, are you playing tonight?[/QUOTE]Yes we are. We actually normally start at 9:30pm EST. If you want to get in, read the first or second post in this thread that tells you how to sign up for the clan. Once the game starts tonight, depending upon how many are on, you will receive an invite from Inf^Shini or I to get into the party, to play with other CAGs. Most of us use mics.

I saw you posted in the Warhawk thread also. They tend to play at 11pm EST, while R2 starts at 9:30pm EST technically. We also had Friday night Warhawk (which was the main night), but I recently just stepped down as the host, and once we find someone else to host on Friday, it will be in session again.

If you want to find others to play with on PS3, sign up in this thread (list all the game nights and stuff. Also links you to various threads of game nights):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149288

Although unfortunately my friends list is near full (a few slots are open because of the Burnout Paradise glitch when having more than 96 friends).

[quote name='NamPaehc']
Maybe, I thought it was a bug too. But also I was thinking, do the different squads have different objectives? Because I just played a match and for some reason half my team wasn't helping us attack the beacon. A swarm of their team kept going to the other side of the map to battle them so maybe that could be it? [/quote]

Yeah each squad gets different objectives. I can't tell if the balancing thing can make you switch squads because I have died and ended up in a completely different place with a different objective, but that could just be because of when I died and where the rest of my squad was.

The idea is that you have a rival squad which has opposing objectives and if it's unbalanced another squad from your team will be called in to help (I assume if your squad is losing to its rival it will bring in one that is beating its rival causing 2 squads from each team, one good and one bad to join together briefly). Of course I haven't followed the scores/objectives closely enough to tell if this is what happens, but this could also explain the crazy jump I was describing above if you're on the squad called in to help.

[quote name='happy']Yeah each squad gets different objectives. I can't tell if the balancing thing can make you switch squads because I have died and ended up in a completely different place with a different objective, but that could just be because of when I died and where the rest of my squad was.

The idea is that you have a rival squad which has opposing objectives and if it's unbalanced another squad from your team will be called in to help (I assume if your squad is losing to its rival it will bring in one that is beating its rival causing 2 squads from each team, one good and one bad to join together briefly). Of course I haven't followed the scores/objectives closely enough to tell if this is what happens, but this could also explain the crazy jump I was describing above if you're on the squad called in to help.[/quote]

Yeah, different squads do get different objectives, but the game sometimes gets glitchy while assigning objectives.

I like R2 MP, but R1 was good times. My friend and I actually shut out the other team twice. That was great :)

Out tonight guys.. it's an understatement to say that I have a lot going on tonight to deal with instead. I hope to be in on Wednesday.

r2 or secondary fire. the easiest way to pick it up is the huge rectangle amno boxes (vs small boxes).

after so many kills, you get r2 off your beserk if you have prototype armor. kill a lot of people to buildup your beserk. think super bar. then hit down on your dpad to use it. each beserk is different.

you get the laark/pulse cannon at level 14 competitive or something close to it.

Thanks a lot to everyone who showed up. Glad to see a few new faces there (and those who haven't played much). That's one thing I'm liking about R2, because normally we have a pretty different group playing together.

I live in Seattle and have a rough time making 7 as a meet time as I can't play until my kid goes to bed, want to spend time with the wife ect. I was wondering if people were interested in a second meet time at like 10pm pacific time that I can host.

So is the party system basically useless unless you plan ahead? Whenever I see someone else on, I add myself to their party. But they're already in a game, so I just sit there, and realize I'm not going anywhere for a while, get impatient and join some other game. Why the hell is there no "jump to game" option?? Even MGO had this.

[quote name='pete5883']So is the party system basically useless unless you plan ahead? Whenever I see someone else on, I add myself to their party. But they're already in a game, so I just sit there, and realize I'm not going anywhere for a while, get impatient and join some other game. Why the hell is there no "jump to game" option?? Even MGO had this.[/QUOTE]

I thought there is some sort of join in progress as I've been booted before but got back into the match. I do find the party system confusing. This was coop btw

It does let you join mid game sometimes, my assumption is only if the game isn't full, which is rare because it seems to be good about filling games with extra random people as they're starting.

[quote name='aznguyen316']I thought there is some sort of join in progress as I've been booted before but got back into the match. I do find the party system confusing. This was coop btw[/QUOTE]You can join-in during progress, but you have to hope for two things:
-The game created allows for "late join".
-There's space available

We've had many people who I never invited join a game late without problems. But when our game is full, the people have to wait normally.

Never got around to posting, but, it was fun last night. Kept telling myself I was gonna join one time, always forgot. But hey, for a first time, it was fun. Hope to be there on Wed. for competitive (where I shine =))

Offtopic, but can anyone recommend me a good mic? I'm currently using this and it's getting really annoying to use, and at times I have to almost shout to get my voice picked up. So are their any good mic's, USB or Bluetooth, that work well. I was thinking of buying just the Sony one, but I'm looking for other opinions.

apparently the official one (with socom) is very good and has extra features. I use the eye, which as you could hear last night is not overly effective.

If people have a good USB headset that's cheap ($10) range I'd pick one up though. (I hope sometime the socom bundle will get clearanced, that or they make a killzone 2 bundle for $80 or something - preferrably also clearanced)

i couldnt join because nothing opened up. =(. its better than having too few people.

anyways, i finally cracked 7k kills! another 3k more. =(

I think you're all missing my point. On the Allies list, I can see who of my friends and clan members are online, and who's in a game, but I can't find out what game they're in. Joining their party doesn't add me to the game, unless its a huge coincidence that every time I've tried to join a party with someone who's in a game, the person has always been in a full game.

[quote name='neverletthem']Never got around to posting, but, it was fun last night. Kept telling myself I was gonna join one time, always forgot. But hey, for a first time, it was fun. Hope to be there on Wed. for competitive (where I shine =))

Offtopic, but can anyone recommend me a good mic? I'm currently using this and it's getting really annoying to use, and at times I have to almost shout to get my voice picked up. So are their any good mic's, USB or Bluetooth, that work well. I was thinking of buying just the Sony one, but I'm looking for other opinions.[/QUOTE]Well, at least I saw you online and reminded you. ;) I haven't yet integrated competitive into CAG nights, but I'm looking to do it on Wednesday. I haven't decided how I will split co-op and competitive yet (either I'll split the hosting with someone, or I'll just do both. Haven't decided on whether I'd alternate, start with one first then finish off with the other, etc.).

As far as headset is concerned, I recommend either two:
-Official PS3 bluetooth headset (although pricey)
-Any USB headset (like I use). Having a wire sucks, but voice quality is great.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Well, at least I saw you online and reminded you. ;) I haven't yet integrated competitive into CAG nights, but I'm looking to do it on Wednesday. I haven't decided how I will split co-op and competitive yet (either I'll split the hosting with someone, or I'll just do both. Haven't decided on whether I'd alternate, start with one first then finish off with the other, etc.).

As far as headset is concerned, I recommend either two:
-Official PS3 bluetooth headset (although pricey)
-Any USB headset (like I use). Having a wire sucks, but voice quality is great.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and I thank you for that. And I thought you used to do competitive on Saturdays? Heh, it doesn't matter, I still enjoy co-op very much.

[quote name='neverletthem']Yeah, and I thank you for that. And I thought you used to do competitive on Saturdays? Heh, it doesn't matter, I still enjoy co-op very much.[/QUOTE]Competitive was Friday at one point, but not anymore.

I was only on for a couple of games, but good times as usual. I'd definitely be interested in some Competitive. I still have yet to learn the nuances of R2 deathmatch like I did with R1, and playing some CAGers would be good practice.

[quote name='silks']I was only on for a couple of games, but good times as usual. I'd definitely be interested in some Competitive. I still have yet to learn the nuances of R2 deathmatch like I did with R1, and playing some CAGers would be good practice.[/QUOTE]What I'll probably do with competitive (if I can make it work), is that I may start off with non-ranked first (hopefully I'll see if I can do a private game with just CAGs, I dunno), then we'll do some ranked. Only reason I want to do non-ranked first is to get some people more comfortable with it, and they won't start out with really terrible stats.

That was fun last night. I was able to join mid-game. I finally reached Lv 30 for the Spec-Ops. :)

[quote name='neverletthem']Offtopic, but can anyone recommend me a good mic? I'm currently using this and it's getting really annoying to use, and at times I have to almost shout to get my voice picked up. So are their any good mic's, USB or Bluetooth, that work well. I was thinking of buying just the Sony one, but I'm looking for other opinions.[/QUOTE]
Hey, I have the same headset. My problem with it is that its too sensitive. Like when I had a cold the mic would pick up my sniffles. :D Have you tried messing around with the Microphone Level? 3 seems to be ok for me, but I do get (sometimes cause) the occasional audio loop. Then again, mine are only a few months old.

[quote name='rightangle90']Hey, I have the same headset. My problem with it is that its too sensitive. Like when I had a cold the mic would pick up my sniffles. :D Have you tried messing around with the Microphone Level? 3 seems to be ok for me, but I do get (sometimes cause) the occasional audio loop. Then again, mine are only a few months old.[/quote]

I have my Sony headset set at 2 and it's pretty much perfect.

Mother fucker!!!

Well... The patch is up. Right at 6:35 central. I had gotten up early to get in a few comp rounds in before my day. On the last one, I was having a great game with 25K XP and top of stats by a lot which I haven't done before. With like 30 seconds to go they booted us all off and forced the update. GAH!!

R2 CAG night was good, I still need some Intel from the co op for the trophy, I think from Bryce Canyon to unlock one map. Definitely will keep joining to the R2 nights

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Yoh']R2 CAG night was good, I still need some Intel from the co op for the trophy, I think from Bryce Canyon to unlock one map. Definitely will keep joining to the R2 nights[/QUOTE]We'll definitely play more Bryce Canyon. Hopefully we finish it sometime for you. You can also join Bryce canyon missions in progress to get that trophy faster.

Hey I finally got my copy of R2 over the weekend, so I'll be up to playin' some games with you guys on these nights, I already have a few of ya on my friends list. :)

there are just so many things wrong with mk vs dc. kombo challenges that they probably had a their QA testers just slap together.

[quote name='enufs8d']there are just so many things wrong with mk vs dc. kombo challenges that they probably had a their QA testers just slap together.[/quote]

As someone that used to do QA I can assure you everyone of those combos were pulled off by real people. Some of the guys that do QA on fighting games are disturbingly good.

[quote name='Rangoth']As someone that used to do QA I can assure you everyone of those combos were pulled off by real people. Some of the guys that do QA on fighting games are disturbingly good.[/quote]
How ironic, I'm actually applying to be a QA for Insomniac Games. I want to be more than just a QA though for them in the future though.

To test any of Insomniac's games you wouldn't have to be disturbingly good. You'd wind up that way, though.

That reminds of the QA tester posting that Harmonix put up last year, that was only looking for guys that could play "Rain of Blood" (I think? Haven't played that far) on Expert. I laughed and moved on to the next job posting.

[quote name='Rangoth']As someone that used to do QA I can assure you everyone of those combos were pulled off by real people. Some of the guys that do QA on fighting games are disturbingly good.[/QUOTE]

i guess my meaning was properly conveyed. i dont doubt that the QA could do any of those combos. my friend who worked in QA for years until he moved up said the original comment to me. he said that midway probably just asked the QA people to put combos together... and especially 10 hit ones for the last trings. my point was that probably the only people midway that could do them were the QA people. some of those just frames or cancels are just brutal.

it might be another example of cutting corners on that game. eg: wheres the animated intro, animated endings for each or any of those characters, game play balance?, fatalities, etc.

midway has other bigger concerns like bankruptcy.

[quote name='silks']To test any of Insomniac's games you wouldn't have to be disturbingly good. You'd wind up that way, though.

That reminds of the QA tester posting that Harmonix put up last year, that was only looking for guys that could play "Rain of Blood" (I think? Haven't played that far) on Expert. I laughed and moved on to the next job posting.[/quote]
I figured. I've been playing their games for as long as I can remember. They're my favorite company. They're local too! I live in Burbank. I hope they accept my application when I send it in.

EDIT: Got some R2 action in today. Got my kills up to almost 2k. I'll get that trophy eventually!

R2 night will still go on tonight. Although it says 10pm EST in the OP, I'd be willing to start as early as 9pm EST if people want me to.

Also, I'm planning to do BOTH competitive and co-op for once. What I think I'll do is:
Two Co-op missions
Two competitive (first one MIGHT be non-ranked so we can all get use to it, who may not have played much. We will do TDM or Skirmish)
Two Co-op missions
One or Two competitive matches (Whatever we didn't do, we'll do here, like Core Control and another)

Normally we do 6-7 co-op missions.

Or maybe it could be 1 hour co-op, then 1 hour competitive. The time when I do competitive, I'll allow the party to go above 8 people.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Also, I'm planning to do BOTH competitive and co-op for once. What I think I'll do is:
Two Co-op missions (We will do TDM or Skirmish)
Two competitive (first one MIGHT be non-ranked so we can all get use to it, who may not have played much)
Two Co-op missions (Whatever we didn't do, we'll do here, like Core Control and another)
One or Two competitive matches
[/QUOTE]
What the hell are you talking about? TDM, skirmish, and core control aren't co-op modes. Also, I really don't think non-ranked is really necessary, unless people don't yet understand the mechanics of capture the flag. I'll be on at 10est.

[quote name='pete5883']What the hell are you talking about? TDM, skirmish, and core control aren't co-op modes. Also, I really don't think non-ranked is really necessary, unless people don't yet understand the mechanics of capture the flag. I'll be on at 10est.[/QUOTE]Oops, I did a copy paste error. :lol:

While I know some have played a lot of competitive, there are still some (like a few others and I) who haven't played much competitive at all and would easily be more harm than good in a competitive match. That was why I thought about doing only one, short un-ranked match (I'd keep it short) to get some of us warmed up a little. Like I'll admit I barely played skirmish and core control (only really played DM).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Oops, I did a copy paste error. :lol:

While I know some have played a lot of competitive, there are still some (like a few others and I) who haven't played much competitive at all and would easily be more harm than good in a competitive match. That was why I thought about doing only one, short un-ranked match (I'd keep it short) to get some of us warmed up a little. Like I'll admit I barely played skirmish and core control (only really played DM).[/QUOTE]

dude....its an fps. i think well manage. were not playing for paychecks =)

bread's done
Back