RPG Thread IV is the worst in the series

I'm still gonna hold off on WKC. I'm not interested at all in the multiplayer stuff, so I don't think I'll miss anything.

I did see a price drop on Sacred 2 for $30. Anyone played it? From the screengrabs I've seen, it looks kinda like a diablo clone.

Level 5 RPGs make me cry... They seem like they could make better RPGs then crap like Rogue Galaxy and WKC.

[quote name='TomJones4']Played about 11 hours of Rogue Galaxy. Its pretty good so far but I keep seeming to get my ass kicked.[/QUOTE]

Really? I breezed through it until the final boss(es).

Don't get all the hate for it, though. It was a fun game with an interesting (if shallow) story.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Level 5 RPGs make me cry... They seem like they could make better RPGs then crap like Rogue Galaxy and WKC.[/QUOTE]
Perhaps the problem isn't with Level 5?

They shoved everything onto the DS.

Im not really getting my ass kicked but I am constantly using potions again and again.

No! My PS2 controller died. Damn X button and it deciding to input in a constant stream. I guess I have to rely on my DS for now, since I have a friend sending me one of his extras. I was 8 hours into Radiata Stories at the time too, and I kicked a few people way too many times.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Really? I breezed through it until the final boss(es).

Don't get all the hate for it, though. It was a fun game with an interesting (if shallow) story.[/QUOTE]

It felt a bit like they just took out the fun town-building parts of DC2 and replaced them with Will Friedle and unnecessary tattoos.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Level 5 RPGs make me cry... They seem like they could make better RPGs then crap like Rogue Galaxy and WKC.[/QUOTE]

They can ;). Dark Cloud 2, Jeanne D'Arc, DQVIII. I agree about Rogue Galaxy though, it didn't really grab me.

[quote name='Magus8472']It felt a bit like they just took out the fun town-building parts of DC2 and replaced them with Will Friedle and unnecessary tattoos.[/QUOTE]

WHATS WRONG WITH WILL FRIEDLE?!

I kid. But he's not a terrible voice actor. I've heard MUCH worse acting in much better games. Also, I've never played Dark Cloud 2, but i won it in bv's lowball sale, so I should be trying it out soon.

I'm thinking about starting Valkyria Chronicles soon. I bought it the day I bought my PS3, but I haven't started it yet. Honestly, with as much hype it gets, I'm afraid it won't live up to my expectations.

All this talk about Rogue Galaxy's making me a little nervous. It's been in my backlog for about four years now, maybe longer. I keep avoiding it mainly because I anticipate that it'll be long and will take awhile to beat.

Speaking of which, what's everyone's sweet spot for RPG length these days? For me, it's an average of 25-30 hours. Not to say that I don't like and/or play longer ones anymore; I just prefer those that are shorter.

If it's an amazing game, about 40 hours. I haven't played many games past this besides my first run through of FFVII and FFX...and about 75 hours into Nocturne.

If it's just good, about 25-30.

Then there are the Persona games, which I like but since they take so damn long to beat, I play about 25 hours, then quit.

[quote name='bvharris']They can ;). Dark Cloud 2, Jeanne D'Arc, DQVIII. I agree about Rogue Galaxy though, it didn't really grab me.[/QUOTE]
As much as I love DQVIII I'm not giving them credit for that one. I imagine Square had lots of say what they did with that one. And Jeanne D'Arc was meh.

I don't really have a sweet spot. I find that I'll play RPGs until I'm bored with them.

I really do feel Level 5 is given WAAAAAAAY too much credit for making good games. The only thing I loved that they made was DQ8, and they probably didn't have too much to do outside of coding with that game.

[quote name='TomJones4']I really do feel Level 5 is given WAAAAAAAY too much credit for making good games. The only thing I loved that they made was DQ8, and they probably didn't have too much to do outside of coding with that game.[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%. Out side of DQ8 every thing else I have played by them has been shit. I simple hate RG, game was so damn generic it hurt. ( Never played ether Dark Cloud so eh, but don't want to ether )

Dark Cloud wasn't bad. I liked the building section and the system was alright. It was a sort of hack-n-slash combat, but the weapons could only be used a certain amount before they would break.

aw man Ys is so awesome.

Adol is a fukkyn boss man...

like I really wanna do like this whole mana knight thing, except instead of large ass posters of Cloud and Sora in my lovemaking chambers, it'll be a huge ass poster of Adol.

I started Suikoden 5. I played 20 minutes so far. Man, so much loading.

I played 1 and 2 but nothing else, but my Suikoden-loving friends said that it's okay that I skipped 3 and 4.

Yep, Suikoden 5 has a loading issues. That plus the slow start makes it difficult to get past the 5 hour mark. And I agree that it's safe to skip over S3 & S4.

[quote name='Rodimus']Yep, Suikoden 5 has a loading issues. That plus the slow start makes it difficult to get past the 5 hour mark. And I agree that it's safe to skip over S3 & S4.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Suikoden V starts out very slow. Once you get over that hump though it's awesome. If you care about the Suikoden story though you'll want to at least read up on III.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kainzero']I started Suikoden 5. I played 20 minutes so far. Man, so much loading.

I played 1 and 2 but nothing else, but my Suikoden-loving friends said that it's okay that I skipped 3 and 4.[/QUOTE]

Why would you skip 3? It's the best one on PS2.

[quote name='Magus8472']Why would you skip 3? It's the best one on PS2.[/QUOTE]

On story I can possibly agree, but the gameplay I can't unfortunately.

[quote name='suko_32']On story I can possibly agree, but the gameplay I can't unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

Why, because it's different from the other four? That's what I like about it. S5 is ultimately a rehash of S1 and S2 that isn't as good as either on any level.

Just puttin' this out there but IMO Suikoden V has a better story and more intresting characters than Suikoden II.

[quote name='willardhaven']Dark Cloud 2 has such boring levels... they are so long too. DQ VIII is decent, how is the first Dark Cloud?[/QUOTE]
If you thought Dark Cloud 2's levels were boring then the originals will definitely be boring.

III and V were my favorite Suikoden games.
II was excellent up until that later half.
Don't get me wrong, it was still great game after that, I just felt a little less motivated.

[quote name='willardhaven']Dark Cloud 2 has such boring levels... they are so long too. DQ VIII is decent, how is the first Dark Cloud?[/QUOTE]
I only remember two things from the first Dark Cloud.

1: I was using the fat guy and didn't really level him up. One time he took a ton of damage and he had to eat a lot of bread, so then my roommate and I started saying fat people ate lots of bread. We then made fun of this guy we didn't like in the dorm, he got fatter and we made up this story that he ate lots of bread. He would always talk about John Muir College, so we called him JBM for "John Bread Muir."

2: I got near the end, but then I broke my good weapon and the game got too hard, so I stopped playing.

I'm skipping 3 and 4 because my friends said it was just okay. So, eh. After that I'll probably restart Romancing SaGa and DQ8.

[quote name='kainzero']I only remember two things from the first Dark Cloud.

1: I was using the fat guy and didn't really level him up. One time he took a ton of damage and he had to eat a lot of bread, so then my roommate and I started saying fat people ate lots of bread. We then made fun of this guy we didn't like in the dorm, he got fatter and we made up this story that he ate lots of bread. He would always talk about John Muir College, so we called him JBM for "John Bread Muir."

2: I got near the end, but then I broke my good weapon and the game got too hard, so I stopped playing.

I'm skipping 3 and 4 because my friends said it was just okay. So, eh. After that I'll probably restart Romancing SaGa and DQ8.[/QUOTE]

I'm confused, what are 3 and 4?

Dark Cloud 1 was partially annoying because there were like 5-6 characters and there were floors where you were forced to use a certain character. And, sometimes that forced you to go back and grind for awhile to get past that floor.

[quote name='willardhaven']I'm confused, what are 3 and 4?[/QUOTE]

Suikoden 3 and 4 from his previous post.

[quote name='blueshinra']Speaking of which, what's everyone's sweet spot for RPG length these days? For me, it's an average of 25-30 hours. Not to say that I don't like and/or play longer ones anymore; I just prefer those that are shorter.[/QUOTE]
I don't think I've ever said to myself "hmm, that RPG was too short." Probably part of the reason I've been trying to get away from JRPGs, they always overstay their welcome with me.

One thing I hate so far about Suikoden 5 is how they gave you so much room to put in your name.

"With all that room, well, they probably meant for me to put in my first AND last name!"

Now I have people calling me by my full name and I can't change it. It's quite annoying =)

[quote name='Doomed']What is the best RPG on PS2? (/flamebait)[/QUOTE]

For me it's a tossup between Tales of the Abyss and Nocturne. I would possibly consider Radiata Stories my favorite, but it's not the best.

There's too many great RPGs for the PS2 it's impossible for me to choose just one. Top 3: Persona 4, Suikoden V, Nocturne

6 hours into Suikoden V and omg so loooooong, both storywise and in terms of loading.

The encounter transition takes a loooong time, then when you're done it has to load wherever you are which is usually the world map. Blahhh.

I also find it hard to concentrate when Lady Sialeeds is on screen.

I saw Radiata Stories at gamestop for $10-$12 last time I was there. It's one of the few ps2 rpgs I havent played. But isnt the fighting sort of action and button mashing like star ocean?

[quote name='eldergamer']I saw Radiata Stories at gamestop for $10-$12 last time I was there. It's one of the few ps2 rpgs I havent played. But isnt the fighting sort of action and button mashing like star ocean?[/QUOTE]
I haven't played any of the Star Oceans, but those battle systems are a lot like the ones in Tales games, right? Anyway, the battle system's one of the best parts of Radiata Stories. You only directly control the main character, but some of the button mashiness is mitigated by a command system, where you can give direct orders to your party members without having to go through half a dozen menus.

You can also call party members into special attack formations, though by the end of the game, there will only be one or two that you'll tend to rely on.

The game has some weird pacing at times and a story that isn't all that (and the main character seems to have been named after a dog breed, of all things), but it's got a great battle system and soundtrack, and looks good.

[quote name='kainzero']6 hours into Suikoden V and omg so loooooong, both storywise and in terms of loading.

The encounter transition takes a loooong time, then when you're done it has to load wherever you are which is usually the world map. Blahhh.

I also find it hard to concentrate when Lady Sialeeds is on screen.[/QUOTE]

I thought there were only about 2 battles in the first 6 hours. But yeah, the loading was pretty long.

I think 5 has the best story of any Suikoden. The political motivations were thought out well, giving it great plausibility, and there were a lot of good characters. Plus, Sol-Falena looks cool. But I have to give the slight nod to 3 for best in the series.

Radiata Stories isn't too button mashy because you take more damage if you just stand and hit O. It works better to hit and run around behind the enemy.

bread's done
Back