RPG Thread IV is the worst in the series

[quote name='dr_illingsworth']Just curious, can you give some examples? I watched Neon Genesis Evangelion after hearing that Xenogears (or maybe Xenosaga?) was heavily influenced by it, and I was disappointed. I think Xenogears story is still significantly different from every JRPG I've played.[/QUOTE]
I think it's not so much the story that's the same but rather the way they tell it. Characterization, storytelling, etc.

I actually liked Disc 2 because that meant I didn't have to wander around and it led me straight there. But yeah, there were also lots of things in Disc 2 that I would've wanted to do and explore. At least it wraps up the game though. There are other games that didn't wrap up nicely when they were rushed like... KOTOR2.

im about 13 hours into star ocean: last hope international and i think the battle system is fun as hell. a lot of the dialogue is shit though. and i usually always choose english for dialogue but the voice acting was so bad that i turned on japanese after about 3 minutes.

[quote name='willardhaven']The field controls are terrible, especially with the load up for battles which screws up jump timing.[/QUOTE]
I've always thought this complaint was bullshit. I spent all of my playtime sitting next to the Playstation, and when you're about to get in a fight, you can hear the disk seeking noise. If you hear that noise, don't even try to jump. I learned after a few hours.

[quote name='blueshinra']I'm done with PS1 RPGs for the time being :p Also, is it anything like Xenosaga, because for the most part, I couldn't stand that game.[/QUOTE]
Hm, maybe you should skip it then. Instead of long voiced cutscenes, you have long 2D cutscenes with lots of dialogue. The story is so goddamn good, though.

whooo!! I beat Ys OiF~!!!

I have once again justified myself as a gamer!!

anyway, game was great! very epic!

however not as good as Ys I & II... which I dont think anything can ever be good as...

I think the reason is in the first Ys you're in this mysterious land and introduced to this character... then thru the course of the game you get to see how badass the character is and how he gets his mack on.

after that u already kno he's the freakin boss so it's like ok let's see what other crazy adventure and women can we throw at this guy...

[quote name='pete5883']I've always thought this complaint was bullshit. I spent all of my playtime sitting next to the Playstation, and when you're about to get in a fight, you can hear the disk seeking noise. If you hear that noise, don't even try to jump. I learned after a few hours.[/QUOTE]
I'm fairly sure that those "few hours" were what it took to pass the Tower of Babel.

fuck that dungeon!

[quote name='kainzero']I'm fairly sure that those "few hours" were what it took to pass the Tower of Babel.

fuck that dungeon![/QUOTE]

I agree with you, even though I pretty much mastered pete's workaround. The swinging part was completely uncalled for.

Disc 2 was my favorite part of Xenogears. I don't know if I would have liked it more if there was more gameplay, but it's pretty awesome the way it is.

I just beat White Knight Chronicles. They tried to cram the entire story into the last ~15% of the game. The story itself was decent, but I wish they had spread it out across the whole game. If it weren't the only unbeaten game in my PS3 queue, I would have given up. The battle system is extremely boring and ridiculously easy. I marched through the whole game without anyone dying! WKC is the only game I've done that with. I can't speak to the online/multiplayer aspect of it, since I don't care about that stuff at all. But as a single player RPG, it's pretty weak, and I loved Rogue Galaxy.

I'll probably start the Symphonia sequel next, while the first is somewhat fresh in my mind.

I'm playing the Breath of Fire 2 retranslation.

Goddamn, it seems like everything about that game is about sex

Just finished up Atelier Iris 2. It is a nice, light RPG; no darkness like Nocturne and much easier than Radiata Stories. I don't know why, but I get so much enjoyment out of synthesizing new items. It is almost addicting.

[quote name='dr_illingsworth']I'll probably start the Symphonia sequel next, while the first is somewhat fresh in my mind.[/QUOTE]
What a horrible piece of shit that game was...

[quote name='dr_illingsworth']I'll probably start the Symphonia sequel next, while the first is somewhat fresh in my mind.[/QUOTE]
No... just pretend it doesn't exist.

Was it terrible compared to other Tales games or in general? It is sitting in my backlog and I was wondering whether I should wait to get to that one until the backlog starts to run out or not.

[quote name='momouchi']Was it terrible compared to other Tales games or in general? It is sitting in my backlog and I was wondering whether I should wait to get to that one until the backlog starts to run out or not.[/QUOTE]
I love the series, and really loved Symphonia. But Symphonia 2 is just a bad game. Get rid of it while you can.

Hmmm...I feel like I at least have to give it a try. Maybe I'll start that up next and see how bad it is. I sort of feel like I owe the sequel to my favorites Tales game at least that much.

So, just started FF:CC:Crystal Bearers... and idk wtf is up with all the hate? Yeah, the camera/lack of targeting is annoying, but otherwise the game is damn fun. all the achiev... I mean, medals, are a great addition too, that more Wii games really should incorporate.

[quote name='momouchi']Was it terrible compared to other Tales games or in general? It is sitting in my backlog and I was wondering whether I should wait to get to that one until the backlog starts to run out or not.[/QUOTE]

It's just a bad game in general. It's a shame since I loved Symphonia and the Tales of games don't normally get direct sequels.

I'm still not completly sold on RoF. I played the demo and it was okay, but after about 5 minutes the battle system felt stale. But to be fair I didn't completly understand what I was doing since it was the Japanese demo.

Famitsu gave it a 34/40, which means in the real world it's more like a 24/40.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']VI will be better!

I've played like 30 hours of WKC since Friday. I'm obviously really enjoying it.[/QUOTE]

i recommend the Gears of war and i am loving it!

[quote name='momouchi']Hmmm...I feel like I at least have to give it a try. Maybe I'll start that up next and see how bad it is. I sort of feel like I owe the sequel to my favorites Tales game at least that much.[/QUOTE]
Thats what made me hate it even more. ToS is one of my favorite RPGs of the last generation.

Damn, well I'm already 2 hours in and it's OK so far. I guess I'll keep going. I'll let you know when I quit so you can all say "I told you so"

I think I'm going to be starting Star Ocean 2 tomorrow. I'm going to have to spend like 12 hours a day for the rest of the week in my lab doing little more than hitting a button every 2 hours.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I think I'm going to be starting Star Ocean 2 tomorrow. I'm going to have to spend like 12 hours a day for the rest of the week in my lab doing little more than hitting a button every 2 hours.[/QUOTE]

270px-Countdown_Timer.jpg

On a side note, though, SO2 is awesome.

What is wrong with JRPG fans nowadays?

I mean seriously...

There's always some uber-hot sexbomb and some mildly cute girl (like say, Judith and Rita from ToV) and whenever I want to find doujin there's never any of the sexy girl. Always of the cute girl.

God.
What is wrong with them!?

[quote name='kainzero']What is wrong with JRPG fans nowadays?

I mean seriously...

There's always some uber-hot sexbomb and some mildly cute girl (like say, Judith and Rita from ToV) and whenever I want to find doujin there's never any of the sexy girl. Always of the cute girl.

God.
What is wrong with them!?[/QUOTE]

Perhaps a good reference for the next threads title. :applause:

[quote name='kainzero']What is wrong with JRPG fans nowadays?

I mean seriously...

God.
What is wrong with them!?[/QUOTE]

sigh, reminds me of a time in the FTG when someone was talkin about their futa fetish... :whistle2:#

[quote name='Poor2More']Anyone picking up Reconsance of Fate on March 16? looks very intresting[/QUOTE]

i have it pre-ordered. the story sounds pretty cool.

kain: I agree, we need more doujin of the sexy girls.

[quote name='Zmonkay']sigh, reminds me of a time in the FTG when someone was talkin about their futa fetish... :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]
Nothing wrong with a little futa.

[quote name='Zmonkay']sigh, reminds me of a time in the FTG when someone was talkin about their futa fetish... :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]
I believe this happened in the GGT as well. More than once.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']kain: I agree, we need more doujin of the sexy boys.

Everything wrong with a little futa.[/QUOTE]
Fixed even more ;)

Oh, as for Resonance of Fate, are there any reviews up yet? Or is it too early for that? I haven't been following RoF too much; there's a lot coming out in March as it is.

Just started Suikoden V a few days ago myself. I had forgotten how much of a slow start the game was, but it really picks up once you leave Sol-Falena. I don't remember who I missed the first time around, but I'm shooting to recruit all 108 stars this time.

[quote name='Rodimus']Just puttin' this out there but IMO Suikoden V has a better story and more intresting characters than Suikoden II.[/QUOTE]

I still think II edges out V slightly since it compliments I so well, not to mention the game has one of the best villains of all time, Luca Blight.

Man, you can take your futa somewhere else. That is unethical, like adding a tax rider on a goodwill aid bill.

Is Vesperia supposed to be easy as hell? I got to the coliseum part thinking that I would finally get some challenging fights...the first three guys sat there and let me wail on them, while the "champion" was one of those unwinnable fights. argh.

^ Yeah ToV is pretty easy. I don't recall any of the fights giving me any trouble. Though doing all the little hidden battle crap I don't see how anyone could do with out a guide.

Cartoon chicks with d**ks. :whistle2:& Keep that damn nerd fetish crap outta here.
Sweet...just sweet. /facepalm

The only reason I had any trouble with bosses in Tales of Vesperia was because I went for all 23 Secret Missions and
3rd form of the final boss

I thought some of the bosses were hard in ToV. Not JEKKI talking about Ys hard, but I think I game overed a couple times...

[quote name='Rodimus']^ Cartoon chicks with d**ks. :whistle2:& Keep that damn nerd fetish crap outta here.[/QUOTE]

Never!

[quote name='KingBroly']The only reason I had any trouble with bosses in Tales of Vesperia was because I went for all 23 Secret Missions and
3rd form of the final boss
.[/QUOTE]

Is that the form he takes if you found all the whatever weapons? I never managed to get them but I have read he was a bitch to fight.

Finally found the thread.

Beat Blue Dragon on Saturday. I actually picked up 450 gamer points for beating it. I got everyone up to Level 99 and maxed one class for each character. Then it was as simple as finishing up the sidequests.

[quote name='depascal22']Finally found the thread.[/QUOTE]

Dammit, now we gotta hide it again. ;)

I've been taking a break from RPGs the last couple weeks. I did play a little bit of Nocturne this past weekend. I realized I only have one single save file in Nocturne. Usually in the past I'll have 2-5 save files for an RPG that I'm playing thru, just in case I screw something up and have to go back, but here recently the RPGs I've been playing I've only been using a single save file. Sometimes I'll tell myself "Oh, if I ever replay this game, I can just start from this save file here..." but I either never get around to replaying the game, or if I do, I just start a new game from the complete beginning.

So what about the rest of you? Multiple save files, or just one single file?

I only use multiple save files in WRPGs, where you need them because they're buggy pieces of shit where you may be stuck forever without an old save file.

I typically have one save file before the point of no return, and another save file for the game clear data (if applicable). The only exception is Suikoden, where I'm bound to miss characters and need to go back.

And speaking of buggy pieces of shit, be sure to save off your game every hour or so if you play Darksiders. A glitch left my save in an unwinnable state. I called a friend to bitch about it, and he said that the same thing had happened to him.

bread's done
Back