RPG Thread IV is the worst in the series

I'm down to ten PS2 RPGs, and hope to have most of them played by the end of the year. However, the 360 and DS pile is steadily growing. It never ends :whistle2:(

Getting old sucks, and learning that you have the money to buy all the games you want, but not having the time to play them sucks even harder.

Dear Games Industry,

STOP MAKING SO MANY GAMES.

Love
Tom Jones.

Gah! stupid 500 post cap, didn't realize a new thread started...

So close to finishing ME2. Just need to finish some side missions and then "suicide mission". Thinking of jumping into Paper Mario Thousand Year Door, its been sitting in the backlog way too long.

[quote name='Doomed']What is the best RPG on PS2? (/flamebait)[/QUOTE]

I'm partial to Persona 4, but Xenosaga I and III would be on my shortlist as well.

[quote name='sinkingships']yeah, I don't know why I bought so many, i don't know if i even have enough time to play them all haha.[/QUOTE]

Because it's better to buy too many than too few. If I reach retirement and I don't have a large backlog, I don't know what I'll do with all my time. But if you think about the math, it seems hopeless. Say I only play 40 hours/week for 30 years. That's 40*52*30 = 62400 hours of gaming. Divide by a generous 30 hours per game and I'll need 2080 games, maybe 1500 if I replay my favorites. Once I realized this, I started buying way more games. Plus they look good on the shelf.

Ys is so brutal, the bosses in it are always so difficult.

like you will get to a save point before a boss, then during the boss you'll keep dying and selecting retry since the game is kind enough to let u start the battle over for free.

so u die, retry, die, retry, die, retry, etc for like an hour, then you finally win.

then when u go back to the save point it reports you have only played for an additional 5 minutes.

-_-

my save file isnt even at 4 hours yet, even tho Ive prolly played like twice that o_O

One of the Ys games, but it's not clear which. He's right, though, the bosses in that series are brutal.

I'm starting to change my mind about Chrono Cross. When I first started it, I didn't really like the battle system, and I didn't like much of the writing - in particular, it was hard for me to justify Serge's motivations in the things he was doing, and some of the other characters' actions were questionable. Minor spoiler:
Like the bit with the pirates on the S.S. Invincible. They make you fight, expose you to sleeping drugs, then throw you in the hold. Then later, when the ghost ship arrives and you're wandering about, they're fine with you looking for a seemingly important key to get to other parts of the ship? What the hell?!

Ever since I've gotten past a certain plot point, I care a bit more and have become more curious to see what happens next. I've also been steadily coming across more challenging boss battles, which eases much of the pain of the duller regular fights. The writing has also been less clunky lately, and I certainly hope that keeps up.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Doomed']What is the best RPG on PS2? (/flamebait)[/QUOTE]

I fucking love Shadow Hearts Covenant. Definitely in my top 3 PS2 RPGs, easily

[quote name='hankmecrankme']I fucking love Shadow Hearts Covenant. Definitely in my top 3 PS2 RPGs, easily[/QUOTE]
In my top 3 as well. Thing is I think you need to play the first game to get the full effect.

Best PS2 RPG is Suikoden V for me.

I played through it a few years ago, I just don't remember it :p

I'm trying to force myself to play it, but idk. Does it start off slow or something?

[quote name='blueshinra']Okay, now Chrono Cross has gone back to barely making any sense. ARGH.

I think the game wants to drive me batty.[/QUOTE]

I never thought it made much sense, lol. As a stand alone game, it was confusing and with all the multiple characters (replay value, I guess...) I never felt like you ever really had very good characterization on many of them.

As a sequel to Chrono Trigger... wtf. I just didn't get it. There were a few fairly obtuse references, but not much overt until the end, and even then it wasn't as strong as I had hoped. Maybe I just hadn't played CT recently enough. I'm actually playing CT on DS now, and will be busting out CC when I'm done, hoping a back to back playthrough links them a bit more. Anyone know a good summary of Radical Dreamers?

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Xenosaga is a horrible game... I don't think there is an RPG I've ever regretted buying more at full price.[/QUOTE]

The actual gameplay and battle mechanics left something to be desired but I felt that the story was good. Which seems like 80% of the game. :)

So I'm about 30 hours into Tales of Vesperia and I'm really starting to get annoyed with the characters alot. A RPG progresses and you move from town to town and area to area but why do all these characters stick together? This problem seems to be addressed every god blessed time with Estelle and it's getting really annoying. Just go back to your castle already. Other than that it's been good, Yuri is pure badass.

omg fukk Ys!!

Oath in Felghana is seriously the hardest shyt ever!!

it puts Demons Souls on a super princess peach level of difficulty.

I spent the last 3+ hours on a single boss.

not only did I finally give up on him leaving behind me the most unproductive and depressing lost 3+ hours ever, my thumb is blistered like a beeyotch!!

I swear I never wanna play another Ys game ever again!!

[quote name='JEKKI']omg fukk Ys!!

Oath in Felghana is seriously the hardest shyt ever!!

it puts Demons Souls on a super princess peach level of difficulty.

I spent the last 3+ hours on a single boss.

not only did I finally give up on him leaving behind me the most unproductive and depressing lost 3+ hours ever, my thumb is blistered like a beeyotch!!

I swear I never wanna play another Ys game ever again!![/QUOTE]

You know you don't mean it :whistle2:(

[quote name='chibamm']So I'm about 30 hours into Tales of Vesperia and I'm really starting to get annoyed with the characters alot. A RPG progresses and you move from town to town and area to area but why do all these characters stick together? This problem seems to be addressed every god blessed time with Estelle and it's getting really annoying. Just go back to your castle already. Other than that it's been good, Yuri is pure badass.[/QUOTE]

Estelle is borderline retarded. But the other cool characters like Juri, Judith & Raven make up for her.

[quote name='chibamm']So I'm about 30 hours into Tales of Vesperia and I'm really starting to get annoyed with the characters alot. A RPG progresses and you move from town to town and area to area but why do all these characters stick together? This problem seems to be addressed every god blessed time with Estelle and it's getting really annoying. Just go back to your castle already. Other than that it's been good, Yuri is pure badass.[/QUOTE]
Yuri, Judith, and Rita more than make up for it. I actually didn't mind Estelle as much as Karol. He annoyed the hell out of me.

yeah karol sucks
rita's tsundere (aka i'm always mad and angry but secretly happy) is tolerable at best
judith is sexy

and i liked estellise because she was always so nice and inquisitive and curious. how can you hate on her. maybe 'cause she has bright unrealistic pink hair but she's so nice

So I decided to remove Dissidia from my PSP for the first time in about a month to play Phantasy Star Portable and see where I left off. What was going to be a quick play session turned into me digging through Ad Hoc Party, searching for people to help me grind through a boss sever al times to nab Deband.

I love it.

I loved having Rita, Estelle and Judith in my part for the post battle dialog. I always got a chuckle when Estelle made comments about Judith's breasts.

I'm still sad that I missed Judith's spa costume in ToV... at least I got her maid outfit.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']So I decided to remove Dissidia from my PSP for the first time in about a month to play Phantasy Star Portable and see where I left off.[/QUOTE]
I've had Dissidia in my PSP for months, I wake it up every day to get my 30PP. And I've still only bought 71% of the PP Catalog.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I loved Judith's breasts.[/quote]
ah ha, me too.

I just got to one of the key scenes in Suikoden V, when you learn about what really happens in the castle siege.

:cry:

[quote name='kainzero']ah ha, me too.

I just got to one of the key scenes in Suikoden V, when you learn about what really happens in the castle siege.

:cry:[/QUOTE]
Poor Georg.

The game picks up once the prince
leaves the castle for good and you finally get your rune. And when you get your castle it's just impossible to put down.

just started star ocean: the last hope international. i'm really liking it so far, except for the corny dialogue and that i switched it to japanese voices after the first cutscene.

[quote name='Rodimus']The game picks up once the prince
leaves the castle for good and you finally get your rune. And when you get your castle it's just impossible to put down.
[/QUOTE]
Oh, yeah, I totally understand.

I just got my castle... got back Sol-Falena, woooo~

and i finished. thankfully, i was able to finish it this holiday weekend.

definitely in top 5 PS2 RPGs, mine goes like this:

1: Dragon Quest 8
2: Suikoden 5
3: Final Fantasy 10
4: Persona 4
5: something

Finally nearing the end of Chrono Cross. Yesterday I caved and went to GameFAQs because trying to figure out how to get to Gaia's Navel was driving me batty.
I thought it had to do with the alien's ship, not those bugs in the Hydra Marshes :p

Now I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to finish the quest (though it's barely started, IMO) that will enable me to make the best gear in the game, but part of me doesn't want to waste any more time...

Beat Chrono Cross today. Got the bad ending. Looked up how to get the better ending and did that.

Final verdict: didn't like it, for various reasons, one major one being that I shouldn't feel the need to either talk to every NPC in the entire world or consult an FAQ/guide just to get further along in the story. Also, the plot was seriously WTF, especially certain twists toward the end.

Planning to take a break from RPGs for at least a few days (Ace Attorney Investigations arrived from Amazon today! :D). Next in the RPG stack: probably Rune Factory Frontier. I do loves me some Rune Factory.

[quote name='blueshinra']Final verdict: didn't like it, for various reasons, one major one being that I shouldn't feel the need to either talk to every NPC in the entire world or consult an FAQ/guide just to get further along in the story. Also, the plot was seriously WTF, especially certain twists toward the end.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I enjoyed the battle system, but didn't care for nearly anything else. The art style was decent, but didn't scream CT. I actually remember very little of the game, honestly. And I usually have excellent memory of games. Prolly would have liked it at least a little more if it wasn't a "sequel" to CT. I think I'm gonna try and rip my PSX copy to my PSP once I finish CT DS... once I figure out how.

I have mixed feelings about the battle system. There were some parts that I thought were interesting experiments, and others I could've done without.

Yeah, the art was good, but I missed the Toriyama look. Also, I thought that the soundtrack was going to be the one part of the game I would hate outright, seeing as how I've been overexposed to certain tracks over the years thanks in large part to GamingFM (R.I.P.), but overall, the music was good. Chrono Trigger's still my favorite (primarily) Mitsuda score, though.

Whenever I think about Chrono Cross, I think about how much I didn't like it. That, and I like the music. Also, I loved the concert scene, 'cept Mitsuda went a lil' crazy with the guitar distortion.

Speaking of Mitsuda, I remember him only for CT, CC, and Xenogears, the latter I thought was his best work. I thought Xenosaga's OST was pretty blah. The Xenogears Creid album was pretty cool. =)

[quote name='blueshinra']Beat Chrono Cross today. Got the bad ending. Looked up how to get the better ending and did that.[/QUOTE]

I still wonder how we were expected to intuit the way to get that without looking it up. Does the game ever do anything to clue you in? It's been awhile.

[quote name='kainzero']Whenever I think about Chrono Cross, I think about how much I didn't like it. That, and I like the music. Also, I loved the concert scene, 'cept Mitsuda went a lil' crazy with the guitar distortion.

Speaking of Mitsuda, I remember him only for CT, CC, and Xenogears, the latter I thought was his best work. I thought Xenosaga's OST was pretty blah. The Xenogears Creid album was pretty cool. =)[/QUOTE]
I think maybe Mitsuda heard Uematsu's "Mods de Chocobo (featuring N's Telecaster)" from FFVIII and wanted in on that action ;)

"Flight" from Xenogears is one of my favorite single pieces of game music ever; "Small Two of Pieces" as well. I've never heard the entire OST (nor have I played Xenogears), but it's long been on my "to get" list.

[quote name='Magus8472']I still wonder how we were expected to intuit the way to get that without looking it up. Does the game ever do anything to clue you in? It's been awhile.[/QUOTE]
All I know is, I wasn't about to go running all the way around the archipelago for a couple hours just to find the one person to give me a hint on how to do it. (ETA: Oh, but I did figure out on my own
how to actually use the Chrono Cross. Figuring out the correct note order took a little while longer, though, and I did have to use a FAQ to verify what I had concluded was the correct one [and I was right!].
)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='blueshinra']"Flight" from Xenogears is one of my favorite single pieces of game music ever; "Small Two of Pieces" as well. I've never heard the entire OST (nor have I played Xenogears), but it's long been on my "to get" list.[/QUOTE]
I was wondering which one Flight was, but I had a feeling I knew what it was. And I was right!

I agree with the first youtube comment:
"no other song makes me want to be a better man like this one. seriously. this should be the soundtrack for the united states of america."

I love "Flight," "Bonds of Sea and Fire," "Shattering Egg of Dreams," "Tears of the Stars, Hearts of the People," "Gathering Stars in the Night Sky," ... you know, I could name half of the songs in the game. Oh man. Just going through the album on youtube, Xenogears seriously had one of the most epic soundtracks ever.

Here's the Creid remix for Bonds of Sea and Fire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwnNVOl4fxg

As for the actual game, it was one of my favorites... but unfortunately, it has aged badly and after I started playing more JRPGs and watching more anime, it sorta lost its touch on me because of how similar they all became. But damn, at the time, story was revolutionary.

Xenogears does have a great soundtrack. Xenosaga is great too, but it is more background than memorable themes. Listen to The Resurrection and The Miracle. The word "epic" is used rather loosely these days, but I think The Miracle is better than even O Fortuna and Duel of the Fates. However, I think Kaijura fits Xenosaga better than Mitsuda.

[quote name='kainzero']As for the actual game, it was one of my favorites... but unfortunately, it has aged badly and after I started playing more JRPGs and watching more anime, it sorta lost its touch on me because of how similar they all became. But damn, at the time, story was revolutionary.[/QUOTE]

Just curious, can you give some examples? I watched Neon Genesis Evangelion after hearing that Xenogears (or maybe Xenosaga?) was heavily influenced by it, and I was disappointed. I think Xenogears story is still significantly different from every JRPG I've played.

[quote name='blueshinra']"Flight" from Xenogears is one of my favorite single pieces of game music ever; "Small Two of Pieces" as well. I've never heard the entire OST (nor have I played Xenogears), but it's long been on my "to get" list.[/QUOTE]
Stop everything you are doing right now and play Xenogears.

yeayyy~!! I got all the best weapon & armor in Ys:OiF, and I have all the gems to level up my magic!!

too bad this game is still hard as a muhfugga and I keep warping back to the save point when Im about to die like Im playing Izuna the unemployed ninja...

[quote name='pete5883']Stop everything you are doing right now and play Xenogears.[/QUOTE]
I'm done with PS1 RPGs for the time being :p Also, is it anything like Xenosaga, because for the most part, I couldn't stand that game.

Still want the OST, though.

I've gone over this before in another thread, but Xenogears aged terribly. The field controls are terrible, especially with the load up for battles which screws up jump timing. The combos are pretty meaningless for each character since you have to learn them first (rather than discovering them). It was a very good game during its heyday but it needs an update if it's going to stand the test of time.

The second disk of xenogears is practically nothing but scrolling through ten million pages of text, the first disk was fun but the second disk kills the game. The text is sloooooow and you can not skip it or speed it up. And it is never ending. It just goes on and on and on.....

And instead of a fancy fmv movie you just get a picture of a boy sitting in a chair. It skips back and forth to a couple seconds of gameplay at a time that can barely be called gameplay, since the boy is remembering and your brief interludes from the never ending super slow scrolling text are you playing out memories...

And after playing the game so long you really want to see how it ends, but by the time it does you cease to care.

bread's done
Back