RPG Thread IX is a steaming pile of pointless monologue. Just Youtube the ending!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='bvharris']I can't see some other JRPG developers admitting their mistakes and abandoning "innovations" which didn't pan out. I think it you all know who I'm talking about. ;)[/QUOTE]
Surely you can't be talking about Final Fantasy... At least since VII, every game has been a complete U-turn from the previous game's mechanics. For better or worse, I think we can rely on XV being completely different from XIII.

On a totally different note, does anyone have any clue as to the prospect of more Fable III DLC? Or has Lionhead moved their focus to The Journey?

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I haven't seen anything else about more Fable III DLC Ryu. I think those two initials packs were it and now we're SOL.[/QUOTE]
:cry: Borderlands and Dragon Age 1 spoiled me. I now expect every game I like to keep releasing tons of DLC for months after release. Now it's like every game (Fable III, Dead Space 2, Dragon Age II?) is one-and-done.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Wanna bet that if they do it, since they'd have to create most of the assets anyway, that they'll put out an FFVII remake after (almost a reverse effect of X-2 and XIII-2)?
[/QUOTE]

I don't think Square is that lame. They will stick to handheld remakes, so maybe in the considerable future we'll see touched up PSX remakes (more port like than anything), but a PS3 or PS4 FFVII is just beyond silly. You're using a lot of money, time, and creative resources to make a game that definitely needs to be reworked from the ground up in order to remain contemporary. It's not like an FFIV or VI where they have the "oh it's just a handheld remake for the old fans" excuse.

And yeah, if the argument is "it'd be smart because Square would make easy money." Beyond the fact that it wouldn't be easy at all, and make them look a bit pathetic IMO remaking a PSX game for an HD console -- we all know they could just do what they always do and make an FFXV and sell just as much.

XIII sold what, ~6 mil? Do people think even an FFVII remake could hit 10 mil again in this day and age?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Crisis Core is a really great game too, despite too much focus on characters like Genesis and Angeal that no one cares about.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. Genesis was such a forced villain.

Does anybody use Square's rewards program when you buy games? I got something for FFIV and I think Bust A Move for 3DS, but I haven't bothered to look at it yet. Worthwhile?

[quote name='2DMention']Does anybody use Square's rewards program when you buy games? I got something for FFIV and I think Bust A Move for 3DS, but I haven't bothered to look at it yet. Worthwhile?[/QUOTE]
There's a whole thread about it on CAG, I think someone got like an iPod last year from buying basically every Square game released in the states.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Beyond the fact that it wouldn't be easy at all, and make them look a bit pathetic IMO remaking a PSX game for an HD console -- we all know they could just do what they always do and make an FFXV and sell just as much.[/QUOTE]

I don't really feel porting a PSX game is any more sad than porting something from last generation (not RPG related but for instance: God of War HD, Shadow of the Colossus/ICO HD, Silent Hill HD, MGS HD, etc...)

Not that I need or care about an FF7 remake, and I agree it would be a lot more work than people seem to think (especially, as you say, if they wanted to update some things beyond just graphics (for instance the script, which wasn't terrible, but seems a bit bare bones by today's standards)).

[quote name='2DMention']Does anybody use Square's rewards program when you buy games? I got something for FFIV and I think Bust A Move for 3DS, but I haven't bothered to look at it yet. Worthwhile?[/QUOTE]
If you buy a lot of S-E games, it's worth it. I got some very cool postcards last year, and I'll be getting some more cool stuff this year.

[quote name='panzerfaust']

And yeah, if the argument is "it'd be smart because Square would make easy money." Beyond the fact that it wouldn't be easy at all, and make them look a bit pathetic IMO remaking a PSX game for an HD console -- we all know they could just do what they always do and make an FFXV and sell just as much.

XIII sold what, ~6 mil? Do people think even an FFVII remake could hit 10 mil again in this day and age?

[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU. Call me crazy, but I think after 14 Final Fantasies, Square would know more about making or remaking (in terms of revenues and expenses) a Final Fantasy than some stupid asshole behind a computer in a message board (who has made zero Final Fantasy games).

[quote name='panzerfaust']

Pretty much. Genesis was such a forced villain.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Crisis Core managed to be really good in spite of the lame new antagonists and cheesy dialogue.

Anyways, I've been meaning to start Suikoden since I it bought at the Anniversary sale. I heard it's only 15 hours. After Persona 3, Pokemon Black and Radiant Historia (need to finish first) this sounds like a breath of fresh air.

So which RPG series is going to get the HD polish compilation treatment first? FF X, X-2 and XII, Persona, or Tales?

I'm hoping they can somehow squeeze Symphonia in with an Abyss and Legendia compilation but I have no idea how much space a RPG uses on a Blu-Ray.

[quote name='depascal22']So which RPG series is going to get the HD polish compilation treatment first? FF X, X-2 and XII, Persona, or Tales?[/QUOTE]
Ah, the ultimate satisfaction and joy I would feel at the prospect of earning achievements for playing Final Fantasy XII again... provided any such FF compilation found its way to Xbox of course.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I can't do this Baldur's Gate 2 game, it's too old. Second time trying to start it. Guess I'm missing out on this classic =[[/QUOTE]

Same with me. Can't do Icewind Dale either. Could barely make it through Fallout 1 and 2 and had to force myself to go through Starcraft's campaign last year.

I went through the Phantasy Stars earlier this year and had a blast doing that. Granted, they where on the 360 thanks to the Genesis Collection, but they're still just emulations. I don't know what it is about old PC games that turn me off.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I can't do this Baldur's Gate 2 game, it's too old. Second time trying to start it. Guess I'm missing out on this classic =[[/QUOTE]

This makes me weep. Also, makes me nervous about replaying it because I haven't played it since it came out and maybe my memory is more based on nostalgia, but I rate it the best game ever after OoT.

And I can totally see SE releasing an "HD" port of X, X-2, and XII, but they'll probably go the lazy route and bump up the resolution, but not retexture anyything. Probably look about on par with the PS2 games running on a PS3 with smoothing...

[quote name='depascal22']So which RPG series is going to get the HD polish compilation treatment first? FF X, X-2 and XII, Persona, or Tales?[/QUOTE]

Tales of the Abyss is coming out for 3DS, not really sure that they are redoing much for it (so I guess it really isn't an HD port, but I guess maybe they will add some use for the 3D effect at least).

[quote name='Zmonkay']This makes me weep. Also, makes me nervous about replaying it because I haven't played it since it came out and maybe my memory is more based on nostalgia, but I rate it the best game ever after OoT.[/quote]

And I believe you, it's just soooooo sluggish to me now. It's a chore trying to just position my part properly, especially in narrow hallways.

[quote name='Indignate']Same with me. Can't do Icewind Dale either. Could barely make it through Fallout 1 and 2 and had to force myself to go through Starcraft's campaign last year.
[/QUOTE]

whaaaa, Starcraft still looks fine IMO. The campaign really isn't that special or what it's praised for, though.

[quote name='panzerfaust']And I believe you, it's just soooooo sluggish to me now. It's a chore trying to just position my part properly, especially in narrow hallways.
[/QUOTE]

lol I totally get that. It is a pain in the ass to set up your positioning sometimes. I remember saving over and over again when fighting a dragon late in the game because I was trying to get as close as possible without getting agro so I could maximize the time my buffs would remain active.

The best tactic in all of those is throw down a Time Stop. Cast all your buffs and open a Gate. Then when the Time STop wears off your Demon will attack the Dragon or whatever(and get the Aggro), and you will be all buffed to help polish it off.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']The best tactic in all of those is throw down a Time Stop. Cast all your buffs and open a Gate. Then when the Time STop wears off your Demon will attack the Dragon or whatever(and get the Aggro), and you will be all buffed to help polish it off.[/QUOTE]

Nerd. ;)

[quote name='icebeast']Tales of the Abyss is coming out for 3DS, not really sure that they are redoing much for it (so I guess it really isn't an HD port, but I guess maybe they will add some use for the 3D effect at least).[/QUOTE]

Do you think they would throw Tales in a compilation then? Maybe we just get Symphonia and Legendia then?

Japan doesnt seem that interest in HD port. I think more likely you will see 3DS or Vita port. Not even sure if you will see Symphonia and Legendia since they are the least popular of the Tales games that got Japanese release.

[quote name='62t']Japan doesnt seem that interest in HD port. I think more likely you will see 3DS or Vita port. Not even sure if you will see Symphonia and Legendia since they are the least popular of the Tales games that got Japanese release.[/QUOTE]

That's interesting, because Symphonia seems to be one of the most popular ones in the West.

[quote name='ihadFG']That's interesting, because Symphonia seems to be one of the most popular ones in the West.[/QUOTE]

Not really hard to explain since we got like half of the Tales game released on PS2.

Funny, since I have no problem playing a game like Chrono Trigger on my phone. Good games are generally always good games. Course, one issue with PC games at times is getting them to run right. A few years back I tried playing Planescape: Torment (since I never did finish the game), and I had technical glitches.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Funny, since I have no problem playing a game like Chrono Trigger on my phone. Good games are generally always good games. Course, one issue with PC games at times is getting them to run right. A few years back I tried playing Planescape: Torment (since I never did finish the game), and I had technical glitches.[/QUOTE]

This is my problem with System Shock 2. Sad that no one has been able to make it workable on the newest PC systems.

Platinum'd Neptunia. I think it's the first RPG I've managed to platinum, so I'm feeling somewhat proud of it. I got really close with Resonance of Fate and Atelier Rorona, but not quite.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I'm about to start the massive experience that is Record of Agarest War. Won't 100% it but still expect to be involved for a long time.[/QUOTE]

The first one? Let us know how it is, eh? I somehow missed that it exists until I saw the new one is out, but can't get a good feel for if I'll like it. I LOVED FF Tactics, but only enjoyed Disgaea. Too much grinding.

I wish I could play it with a mouse so I could use my Naughty Edition mousepad,lol. I'll let you know though Zmonkey. I played a bit of it awhile ago but didn't get farinto it.

I'm about to start the massive experience that is Record of Agarest War. Won't 100% it but still expect to be involved for a long time.

Got it when it came out, but got stuck and quit and sold the game + soundtrack but kept the mousepad and pillowcase.

My Mom liked the pillowcase so much she kept it and uses it lol.

I'm using the mousepad at home though. :)

I picked up the Naughty edition as well, but I have barely played it. I tried to play it again a few months back but I forgot how to play it. (>_>)

I have never used the Pillow Case. It's in my draw next to my Haruhi pillow cases lol.

I need to scratch my SMT itch when I can't play Persona 4, so I've decided to play Nocturne (which I'd only played the first few hours of previously). I definitely enjoy it so far, though it's definitely given me a case of Nofuckingideawhattodonext-itis. :D

[quote name='bvharris']I need to scratch my SMT itch when I can't play Persona 4, so I've decided to play Nocturne (which I'd only played the first few hours of previously). I definitely enjoy it so far, though it's definitely given me a case of Nofuckingideawhattodonext-itis. :D[/QUOTE]

The massive (500+ page) doublejump guide to Nocturne is almost essential for playing it.

[quote name='eldergamer']The massive (500+ page) doublejump guide to Nocturne is almost essential for playing it.[/QUOTE]

And unfortunately costs as much as more than the game at this point. :bomb:

Let's just say that a little googling will save you some money on a second hand nocturne guide (pdf cough cough). I got mine in a trade with an awesome CAG years ago, but still haven't played the game, lol.

[quote name='bvharris']I need to scratch my SMT itch when I can't play Persona 4, so I've decided to play Nocturne (which I'd only played the first few hours of previously). I definitely enjoy it so far, though it's definitely given me a case of Nofuckingideawhattodonext-itis. :D[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. I got maybe 10 or more hours in and remember having to bust out the laptop in the middle of playing and look up what to do next.

[quote name='momouchi']I know what you mean. I got maybe 10 or more hours in and remember having to bust out the laptop in the middle of playing and look up what to do next.[/QUOTE]

At least walking around looking for what to do next leads to plenty of grinding, which I assume I'm going to need in the long run anyways. :D

Yeah, but more than grinding, you need to fuse new demons. That and really using buffs correctly is what gets you past one of the early bosses.

I think I've only played about the first three hours of Nocturne. The atmosphere was amazingly creepy and dread-inducing, but even from the very beginning you can tell how obtuse and difficult the game is going to be.

[quote name='bvharris']And unfortunately costs as much as more than the game at this point. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

But it does look great on the shelf (specially when you paid retail for it.) Even when I got rid of Nocturne awhile ago, something told me to hold onto the guide. Now I have Nocturne back and all is right with the world.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I think I've only played about the first three hours of Nocturne. The atmosphere was amazingly creepy and dread-inducing, but even from the very beginning you can tell how obtuse and difficult the game is going to be.[/QUOTE]

It's definitely a striking contrast from Persona 3 and 4 in terms of its accessibility. Those aren't simple games by any means, but there's a structure to them which is consistent. That's not to say I'm not enjoying Nocturne, because I am. I think you used the right word in obtuse though.

I got about 9 hours in before my head exploded (I though I was cool and wasn't using the guide). The game is absolutely brutal if you get lost in a dungeon.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I got about 9 hours in before my head exploded (I though I was cool and wasn't using the guide). The game is absolutely brutal if you get lost in a dungeon.[/QUOTE]

I finally broke down got the guide and still couldn't get past some underground cave with multiple bosses. Turned out all my entire group was useless against one boss. On the plus side I really enjoyed the 20 hours or so I put in.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back