RPG Thread IX is a steaming pile of pointless monologue. Just Youtube the ending!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Ryuukishi']Frankly I wouldn't mind a PSP re-release of Nocturne with a P3-style Beginner difficulty grafted on.[/QUOTE]

Nor would I, though I'd prefer if Atlus was spending their time on a real HD SMT game (preferable Persona, but beggars can't be choosers). :D

I seriously would die for a re-release of Nocturne. I sold my PS2 so I lost nocturne but that game was fucking amazing. I got like 15 hours in before I stopped playing, because that game is one of the most fucking brutal games I have played, but now I feel like I want to get revenge and finish it.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I got about 9 hours in before my head exploded (I though I was cool and wasn't using the guide). The game is absolutely brutal if you get lost in a dungeon.[/QUOTE]
How were you getting lost? The maps in the game are ridiculously straightforward. Plus, the game is not nearly as difficult as, say, Etrian Odyssey. Grinding, at least, is much easier (and more boring, sadly).

Note that I've been ignoring the Labyrinth as much as possible; I don't know if that's what you were referring to, specifically :p

One of the most annoying things I'm finding about Nocturne is that the monsters in your party level slower than you do. I want to keep beefing up the cooler-looking demons, but instead feel like I'm forced to constantly keep getting new ones. I've never had to do this in other games with recruitable monsters.

Overall, Nocturne is decently hard, and has some neat ideas, but otherwise I really don't see the big deal about it. *braces self for backlash*

(Still plan on beating it, though...)

[quote name='blueshinra']
Overall, Nocturne is decently hard, and has some neat ideas, but otherwise I really don't see the big deal about it. *braces self for backlash*
[/QUOTE]

I haven't played enough yet to make a full assessment, but I can say for certain that it doesn't belong in the same sentence as Persona 3 and 4.

I really enjoy the concept and setting of SMT games though, and Nocturne definitely scratches that itch.

yeah one of my favorite things about SMT games is that they really require using strategy in nearly every encounter. You have to attack with the corresponding weakness and guard against your own every time (at least until the end game when you're uber powerfull)

In final fantasy and DQ games all you really need to do is just attack and hit harder than the other guy. Buffing and magic are options. In SMT they're essential.

[quote name='blueshinra']How were you getting lost? The maps in the game are ridiculously straightforward. Plus, the game is not nearly as difficult as, say, Etrian Odyssey. Grinding, at least, is much easier (and more boring, sadly).
[/QUOTE]The dungeon I was in had very few landmarks. It was all rainbowish with portals every so often. Everything looked the frigging same, so yeah I got lost in it. (It was the first one I had but it was enough)

Have you guys seen the (perhaps intentionally) leaked beta of Deus Ex: Human Revolution? Just got done watching some playthrough footage on YouTube. I was considering preordering it before, but the game seems pretty meh. Maybe first-person RPG'ing just isn't my thing.

I was looking forward to it since I love the first (still have to play the second) but it looks very slow and something just seems off about it.

I REALLY love SMT: Nocturne. Beat the game and got the True Demon ending... took me about 5 years to do it, but I refused to restart that game after killing so many of the special bosses and making it so far.

The game's difficulty kind of fluctuates though, of course my assessment is going to include fighting all the extra bosses when they became available (by far the hardest special boss for me was Pale Rider), but basically the game starts out sort of hard, then you hit the only forced special boss (Matador) and you see how hard the game can really be, then the special bosses slowly increase in difficulty and kind of peak with Pale Rider which is followed by you being able to create a very ridiculous team, combine that with getting the ultimate Magatama towards the end of the game and the final dungeon isn't hard at all, it's actually kind of easy (helps if you end up getting Pierce and putting it on your entire team for the bonus Lucifer final boss fight though, otherwise that thing will take a while).

Matador almost caused me to sell the game right then and there. I even used the right strategy and had to fight him 5 or 6 times. His fight was so much about luck, but after him the game gets relatively easier for a while.

[quote name='eldergamer']The massive (500+ page) doublejump guide to Nocturne is almost essential for playing it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bvharris']And unfortunately costs as much as more than the game at this point. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

I am currently playing Nocturne and I am really enjoying it. This link should help you; I found a PDF version of the guide by googling a few weeks ago.

All this talk about Nocturne makes me want to open it up and play it.

And all this continuing talk about Nocturne makes me want to hide it a corner in my closet. I'm not in the mood for a difficult game right now. Although I do need something to drag me away from Dissidia 012. I've put 70 hours into that game in the past month. It's a fighting game! How is this even possible?

What would you guys say are THE HARDEST RPGs to complete in all of RPG history.

My votes go for:

Phantasy Star II, III - If you get lost in a dungeon w/o your hint book, you're screwed.
7th Saga - Those boss fights against the other main characters are brutal.
Anything Shin Megumi Tensi - The pacing of these games are super tough.

[quote name='2DMention']What would you guys say are THE HARDEST RPGs to complete in all of RPG history.

My votes go for:

Phantasy Star II, III - If you get lost in a dungeon w/o your hint book, you're screwed.
7th Saga - Those boss fights against the other main characters are brutal.
Anything Shin Megumi Tensi - The pacing of these games are super tough.[/QUOTE]

Roguelikes. I have never beaten Angband/Zangband/Nethack.

Wizardry is probably after that.

Can't say I've played too many RPGs I would consider Hard, but the SMT series tend not to hold your hand. I remember Persona 2 being difficult when it comes to bosses, especially the last boss who took me about 45 minutes to beat.

Nocturne is difficult if you go for the best ending and defeat all the extra bosses. Even with the guide you still need to take the time and prepare a team with the right skill sets. If you're not constantly recruiting and fusing demons then it will be very difficult. I learned that the hard way after fighting Hell Biker and I was very unprepared. Digital Devil Saga and it's optional bosses also caused me some frustration.

While not a traditional RPG I thought I'd mention Alundra's difficult puzzles.

I'm not using a guide for Nocturne, but then again, I'm not going after a certain ending or anything. Even with tough spots, I find that a combination of grinding and figuring out what elemental attributes I need for my party helps me get by.

[quote name='2DMention']What would you guys say are THE HARDEST RPGs to complete in all of RPG history.[/QUOTE]

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance on Hard. Then again, I'm not quite sure if this counts, since the final boss is cheap, cheap, cheap.

Out of RPGs that I've actually beaten, Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer. I'm with elessar in that roguelikes are where its at in terms of true difficulty (strategy, too).

Nocturne is the hardest RPG I've ever completed. Even if you don't do the Labrynth of Amala, the sheer difficulty of the later bosses and Kagutsuchi is crazy.

Grinding is important during the game but it won't help you at the end. Proper demon fusing is your best ally. Above all, make sure you have demons with Pierce.

@blueshinra Level up your demons to get one or two additional skills and then fuse. The mathematical formula for skills inherited is (Total number of skills between the demons fused + 2.7) / 3.7. Unfortunately, you drop the decimal point so even if you're at 3.97 the new demon will only inherit three skills in addition to the two base skills. Sacrificial fusions will also help get demons that are at the Protagonist's level.

If anybody needs a Nocturne guide, shoot me a PM. I picked up an extra when I luckily found one at a Half Price Books.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='depascal22']@blueshinra Level up your demons to get one or two additional skills and then fuse. The mathematical formula for skills inherited is (Total number of skills between the demons fused + 2.7) / 3.7. Unfortunately, you drop the decimal point so even if you're at 3.97 the new demon will only inherit three skills in addition to the two base skills. Sacrificial fusions will also help get demons that are at the Protagonist's level.[/QUOTE]
Uh... I don't think you understood what I meant. Abilities are one thing - I do fuse with them in mind - but having a level 48 Pyro Jack (for example) is another.

[quote name='blueshinra']Uh... I don't think you understood what I meant. Abilities are one thing - I do fuse with them in mind - but having a level 48 Pyro Jack (for example) is another.[/QUOTE]

Now, I really don't understand what you're talking about. You should be fusing as you go along so none of the early demons should be in your party.

There's no reason to keep a demon in your party once he learns all the skills he can unless, of course, it's the only healer you have.

[quote name='depascal22']Now, I really don't understand what you're talking about. You should be fusing as you go along so none of the early demons should be in your party.

There's no reason to keep a demon in your party once he learns all the skills he can.[/QUOTE]
Hah, yeah, and that's what's annoying. I'm the type to get attached to specific recruited monsters, and Nocturne discourages that sort of thing. Pokemon this ain't :p

[quote name='bvharris']...or if they're really cool looking. :D[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I remember falling into that pitfall often with both Nocturne and Strange Journey.

[quote name='bvharris']...or if they're really cool looking. :D[/QUOTE]

My party was really cool looking for most of the later part of the game.
250px-BlackRider2.jpg

300px-White_Rider.jpg

218px-RedRider2.jpg

I got ya now. SMT really encourages the hit it and quit it philosophy. My daughter would get really pissed when I got rid of some of the cooler demons because she would sketch them as I was grinding.

I had a buddy who never played a Persona game until P3. He said he was going to play the entire game with Orpheus (the MCs starting Persona) I told him it that was a terrible idea, but he didn't listen. He eventually gave up saying the bosses were impossible.

My final team in Nocturne:
964430-metatron_large.jpg

964424-beelzebub_large.jpg

Dante_SMT.jpg

[quote name='Rodimus']I had a buddy who never played a Persona game until P3. He said he was going to play the entire game with Orpheus (the MCs starting Persona) I told him it that was a terrible idea, but he didn't listen. He eventually gave up saying the bosses were impossible.[/QUOTE]

Yes, quite a terrible idea. Playing a New Game + using only Messiah would be more doable though. :D

So I've decided to set aside Nocture for a time and instead do this:

picture.php

Suikothon! This will be the 2nd time I've done a complete 5-game playthrough, getting all 108 stars in each one, though I'll probably take a more leisurely pace this time.

In my dream world, just as I'm wrapping this up, Konami will announce Suikoden VI. (Yeah right :roll:)

has anybody played through radiant historia?

i'm getting kinda tired of it, i'm on chapter 4 i think... it's starting to make me really sleepy.

[quote name='kainzero']has anybody played through radiant historia?

i'm getting kinda tired of it, i'm on chapter 4 i think... it's starting to make me really sleepy.[/QUOTE]

I never finished it. It was one of those odd cases where I really liked the game, and there was never really a point where I came to dislike it, but I just kind of.. faded. Hopefully I'll feel motivated to finish it up one day.

i'm getting kinda tired of it, i'm on chapter 4 i think... it's starting to make me really sleepy.[/QUOTE]

I just finished that game a few days ago with 100% complete. I find most of story cliche and predictable.(I don't think it matters to me anymore since I can predict about 95% of JRPG or WRPG story before it happens. Now I mostly play them for the gameplay). I think the most annoying aspect of this game that it is too linear. You must play both branches of storyline to beat the game. Your bound to find one roadblock that is preventing you from beating the game. In order to past the roadblock you must play the alternative route to get the desire items/ability to progress further in the game.

Anyway, this game is pretty easy. I found most of bosses easier than the normal fights since majority of bosses come alone or with weaker minions. If you fight a boss alone, you can skip a turn or mana burst the boss turns and unleash a big team combo(most of them resulting in 1 team turn K0). If you are really far in this game you can farm some really good items by revisiting past boss. One of them drop a really good equipment and godly item that block 2 attacks for all allies.
Heiss - Imperial Ruins, AH Final Boss. You can steal a king stud and shield seed plus. Very easy boss. First eliminate the weaker minions with magic attacks. Afterward, chain a large combo for a easy steal. Personally, I like using AHT dancing death for steal/drops.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chapter 4 changes things a lot, you need to grind out levels to make encounters easier but not too many levels least the game become a cakewalk at the same time the story to battle ratio starts to dip farther to the right, especially if you want to level most of your characters.

Still easily my favorite RPG of the last year if not more, good story reasonably non-idiotic main character and an interesting combat system.

Well for a FFIV update since I think I maybe the only person still playing it. Finally killed freaking Dark Bahamut, so now ready to go take on Zeromous. I'm level 59 so my grind everyone up to 60, then go try to finish up.

I'm going to try a get back into Mega Man X: Command Mission. It's been years and I totally forgot were I left off, but I know I completed a good chunk of the game so I defiantly don't want to start over. I remember enjoying it, don't remember why I even quit.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I have the game AND guide for Command Missions and never even put it in my console,lol.[/QUOTE]

You looking to get rid of the guide? ;)

[quote name='Rodimus']You looking to get rid of the guide? ;)[/QUOTE]

Nah. I actually just got it the guide a few months ago at a used book store for like $5.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I have the game AND guide for Command Missions and never even put it in my console,lol.[/QUOTE]

lol, this.

And Rod: I might have an extra of the guide at my parents house. I'll check when I visit on the fourth and if I do I can send it to you for cost of shipping.

[quote name='Rodimus']It was worth a try.[/QUOTE]

I don't blame you. I would have tried myself if I was you. On that note if you still want my MM Legends games PM me. (I'm sticking to original series and X I decided, since I won't be getting a 3DS to play MML3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back