RPG Thread VI needs a remake

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='momouchi']I haven't managed to get myself back to #2 yet. I ended up jumping to the DS and playing around on that. I'm thinking I might just skip to the third one and read the story for #2.[/QUOTE]

As someone who loved the first one, I recommend skipping the rest.

It could have been a great series if the first one had sold well.

[quote name='icebeast'](Slightly NSFW)
ToplessFaldio.jpg
[/QUOTE]
I approve of that slightly NSFWness.

[quote name='dr_illingsworth']Well, I'm way late to the Valkyria discussion but I gotta put my two cents in anyway.

The story is good. OK, Rosie's song was a little excessive. But still, I enjoyed it. The whole "bad anime-ness" is akin, in my opinion, to '80s hair metal: kind of corny, somewhat derivative, and damn enjoyable. They're guilty pleasures that I don't feel guilty about.

Plus, the main character has no special powers. How many other RPGs can say that?[/QUOTE]
Well, I feel like if it took itself seriously, it would've achieved a far greater impact than it would have with its "anime-ness." I was totally into it beforehand.

Besides, all the anime-ness can be found in pretty much any other JRPG.

Since someone mentioned Wizardry, it reminded me of when I used to play Might and Magic 6. That game was fun even if it didn't make much sense. You start with swords and bows and in the end game you start firing laser blasters at dragons. It's awesome!

[quote name='icebeast']If/when that game comes to America I'll get it on day one, haha.[/QUOTE]

Censorship ho!

There's no way Atlus is going to think Americans will buy this (we would though, obviously)

[quote name='Backlash']WTF is up with that pizza pic? Average age for these games has gotta be mid-twenties, not 15 :([/QUOTE]

I would imagine it's exactly what you think is up with it. :D

So I guess Cathrine has a Persona connection. I never played P3P but apparently the female protagonist has Vincent as a S-Link where they talk about his "dreams & nightmares." This makes me wan to play it more. And is that tower in the background Tartarus?

Yeah, that pizza pic is a but unappealing. I'm not sure what their intent was but it sure ain't sexy.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I made in the post in the Catherine thread in the Atlus forums, suggesting that they be the first ever to implement a SD text scaling option.[/QUOTE]

Can you explain this?

/dumb :D

Text is often hard or impossible to read when you've got one of the HD machines displaying in SD. This would be a thing where the game would have an entirely different, second set of display boxes/font sizes/etc. It could kick in automatically if the game detects that you're in 480i, or it could be something you could select in the option menu.

Has anyone played Eternal Sonata and if they have, is it good? A local gamestop has it in stock and I'm considering picking it up since I've heard it's somewhat hard to come by these days.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Text is often hard or impossible to read when you've got one of the HD machines displaying in SD. This would be a thing where the game would have an entirely different, second set of display boxes/font sizes/etc. It could kick in automatically if the game detects that you're in 480i, or it could be something you could select in the option menu.[/QUOTE]

Got it. And I agree that should be something that's included.

[quote name='GhostShark']Has anyone played Eternal Sonata and if they have, is it good? A local gamestop has it in stock and I'm considering picking it up since I've heard it's somewhat hard to come by these days.[/QUOTE]

I have, and it's FANTASTIC in my opinion, especially on the PS3 (I've played both versions, and there were a lot of awesome additions to the PS3 port). The game is very cutesy and JRPGish, but I found the story sweet and endearing. The music is fantastic (duh), it looks beautiful, and for my money it has probably the most fun battle system of any RPG this gen. Definitely one of the hidden gems of the past few years.

So yeah, I'd recommend it. :D

Depends how much Eternal Sonata is. I enjoyed the first half. It starts out good but later on the story takes a nose dive and becomes a bunch of pretentious BS. You'll hear your fair share of life changing drivel speeches near the credits to make want to gag. None of it makes sense. It's all thrown around so randomly you'll leave the game scratching your head thinking, "WTF was the point of this game?"

Characters are bland with little insight to their personality. And you can forget about character interaction. Near the end of the game my team still felt like a bunch of strangers. I will say I liked the character designs and the overall theme of classical music. It has a very interesting premise about the real-life famous composer Chopin's dreamworld, however not executed very well.

The battle system is okay but exploitable making the game extremely easy. With that said the battles were one of the strong points of ES.

If you've seen screen shots you can tell it's a very colorful game. I enjoyed the artistic style and like I said before the music is great, which is expected since it's tied in so heavily to classical music.

I loved Eternal Sonata as well, but I agree with Rodimus; the plot is awful. But combat was enjoyable enough to make me finish the game without restarting (which is extremely rare for me), and obviously the music is great.

[quote name='icebeast']I loved Eternal Sonata as well, but I agree with Rodimus; the plot is awful. But combat was enjoyable enough to make me finish the game without restarting (which is extremely rare for me), and obviously the music is great.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it hinges on your tolerance for overwrought and saccharine JRPG schmaltz. My level of tolerance is strangely high.

[quote name='GhostShark']Has anyone played Eternal Sonata and if they have, is it good? A local gamestop has it in stock and I'm considering picking it up since I've heard it's somewhat hard to come by these days.[/QUOTE]

I really really like Eternal Sonata but be prepared for the story to go absolutely nowhere in the second half of the game.

On the positve side, the graphics and battle system are so good you won't really care about the plot.

Well, looks like I will be picking it up. I can look past the plot if the music and battle system is as good as you doods say it is. Thanks!

Any FFVII historians in the house? I have a few questions. I beat Crisis Core last night which I loved but it left me confussed.

Why did Cloud lie about being in SOLIDER? Was it the experiments that jumbled his memory or did he just flat out lie? And if so why didn't Tifa or Aerith recognize his story? Even if he was confused I'm sure Tifa would at least react when he told his incorrect history to the group.

[quote name='Rodimus']

Why did Cloud lie about being in SOLIDER? Was it the experiments that jumbled his memory or did he just flat out lie? And if so why didn't Tifa or Aerith recognize his story? Even if he was confused I'm sure Tifa would at least react when he told his incorrect history to the group.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about the extended story from Crisis Core, but I think in VII Cloud legitimately adopted Zack's memories from the trauma of Zack's murder and mako experiments.

I don't know about the CC story either, but I've always gotten the impression that it's a little of both. Cloud says in FFVII that he heard about what happened with Sephiroth in Nibelheim from Zack, and that he adopted it for his own:
"I never was in SOLDIER."
"I made up the stories about what happened to me five years ago, about being in SOLDIER."
"I left my village looking for glory, but never made it in to SOLDIER......"
"I was so ashamed of being so weak; then I heard this story from my friend Zack..."
"And I greated an illusion of myself made up of what I had seen in my life....."
"And I continued to play the charade as if it were true."

After awhile though, he comes to believe his own lies, thanks in part to the experiments. I should point out that this is one of the more vague parts of FFVII, no thanks to the translation, and still comes up for debate from time to time. However, general consensus seems to be that the experiments had a strong effect on his memory.

As for Tifa and Aeris... Tifa DID recognize that something was off with Cloud's story. In FFVII, during an internal monologue of hers, she thinks:
"You told me a lot about what happened after you left Nibelheim..."
"But..."
"...Something's wrong. I felt there was something strange about the things you talked about."
"All the things you didn't know that you should. And other things you shouldn't know that you did..." (she's clearly talking about the Nibelheim incident in that second bit; at the time of this monologue, she didn't know that Cloud was present for that)
"I wanted to make sure..."
"But then I heard... you were going far away..."
"And I didn't want that..."
"I didn't know what to do. So, I thought I needed more time."
"And that's why I told you about the AVALANCHE job. I wanted to be with you, watch you."

So basically, Tifa's in "observation" mode for a lot of the game, for better or worse, up until the point that she and Cloud fall into the Lifestream in Mideel, and she starts guiding him through his "real" memories.

As for Aeris, taking FFVII's canon alone, it's clear that she never heard about what happened in Nibelheim from Zack (or other sources) before Cloud told his story. Still, it's Cloud's similarities to Zack that intrigue her, so she's in a sort of "observation mode" herself.

(And as for my FFVII historian qualifications, I've been on the staff of a well-known FFVII fansite for several years, including a stint as webmaster. Oh, and I've played the game a bunch, too :p)

Thanks Bluebhinra, that clears things up a little. I think the story would've fell together better if Tifa wasn't so heavly involved in the Nibelheim incident. I find it funny when Tifa says "At least he's honest" referring to Cloud in the FFVII Advent Children movie.

Also what about Tseng of the Turks. He was on missions with both Zack & Cloud. Do they make any reference to that in FFVII?

I will say I absolutely loved the ending for Crisis Core. During the entire game I knew Zack would eventually die but when he does it still hits you pretty hard. I don't know what it is but I like downer endings better than happy ones. One more little question. Why is Cloud such a douche at the begining of FFVII. During Crisis Core he didn't show any of this.

Very interesting discussion guys. I haven't played either game in years, but this is kind of making me want to go back and play them again.

Even though Legend of Heroes III is kind of generic, I still find myself enjoying the game quite a bit.

Been playing some Ys 7 and I like the fast paced battles. Kinda sucks that you can't speed up the text though.

[quote name='Rodimus']Also what about Tseng of the Turks. He was on missions with both Zack & Cloud. Do they make any reference to that in FFVII?[/QUOTE]
Not that I remember. I don't think Tseng pays any special attention to Cloud at all, other than as an AVALANCHE member/general nuisance.

[quote name='Rodimus']Why is Cloud such a douche at the begining of FFVII. During Crisis Core he didn't show any of this.[/QUOTE]
Well, he did just escape from a lab and see his friend die. I'd be a bit annoyed with the world/other people, too.

Sorry to post again so soon, but I just opened and assembled my new Chrono Trigger Formation Arts figures (they finally arrived today).

Best figures I have bought in a long time.

They set me back $78.41 (including shipping), thanks in part to the shitty exchange rate, but... worth every penny.

[quote name='blueshinra']Not that I remember. I don't think Tseng pays any special attention to Cloud at all, other than as an AVALANCHE member/general nuisance.[/QUOTE]

I always thought Tseng to be a very organized man. Hard to imagine he'd forget Cloud as one of Hojo's experiments. Considering in the end he tries to help them escape.

[quote name='blueshinra']Well, he did just escape from a lab and see his friend die. I'd be a bit annoyed with the world/other people, too.[/QUOTE]

But didn't he adopt Zack's memory meaning he erased this? And if not then at end of Crisis Core Cloud seems resolved to do something about Zacks death. He clearly takes on the burden of the Buster Sword. But at the start of FFVII he doesn't seem to be concered about anything but his damn money. It's just not a very clean transition of story or character.

Maybe Crisis Core could've added another chapter to explain Cloud's change in demeanor.

I don't know firsthand how Crisis Core handled Zack's death (or Tseng's relationships to Zack and Cloud - BTW, I'm a fan of Tseng myself, and agree with your impression of him), as I haven't played it, but the way I look at the retcons in the Compilation of FFVII is as they're just that: retcons. Hell, according to Before Crisis, at least one Turk visited Nibelheim during the time of the incident (along with Sephy, Zack, and Cloud), Nanaki already had a mate (!!!), and Tifa had a pet cat, among other things.

And back to Crisis Core: oddly enough, I'm reminded of this huge fanboy argument I got into over whether or not Cloud's being in the Shinra Building in CC was a retcon.

Don't even get me started on Dirge of WTF.

I'm on Chapter 5 of Eternal Sonata. I really like the game and it handles the groups perfectly, but god damn there is no variation with enemies. Everything is just the same monster with a color swap.

I do, however, love the music. Chopin's music and the rest of the soundtrack are both relaxing to listen, too.

Got to the 50% completion mark in DQIX's Alchenomicon last night. There's still some sidequests I want to wrap up before getting back to the story stuff (near the endgame), though.

Jumping back into FFXIII this afternoon. The Goozex value is starting to drop and I'd rather not spend more than a few hundred points on a mediocre game.

[quote name='pete5883']Some middle aged asian man was walking around the park near my office in a FFVII pre-order t-shirt. wtf?[/QUOTE]

I have that shirt. My young mind was easily swayed by free loot back then... not much has changed.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Normally, I'd say something like "Graaaah, Morrowind is better raaaaah" bet then I played Morrowind and forget it's less action more RPG, with hits being successful based on attack rolls and skill. Then I went "oh. I want something more actiony."

Of course, Oblivion has a hit-detection scheme, rather than roll-to-hit, but the world sucked to me. Nothing really ever that dangerous, I didn't like (like some) how everything levelled with you...so I modded it. I'd play for a bit, find more mods, start over, play for a bit, etc.

But? I had the urge to bash some bandits and skeletons recently. So? Oblivion!

And then I found FCOM, combining like...the big mods out there. Fran's, OOO, Martigen's Monster Mod, Warcry. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

It took a while to install, but I got a character out of the sewers. Argonian. Blade, blunt (kinda redundant), marksman, block, armorer, light armor, restoration. It's my usual character right out of the gate. We'll see how far I play. :)

One note: Magicka regens so much faster with...this. I think a mage may actually be viable early game.

[quote name='pete5883']Some middle aged asian man was walking around the park near my office in a FFVII pre-order t-shirt. wtf?[/QUOTE]

which shirt, there were two, the white one with cloud on it, or the black one with sephiroth walking through the flames on the back

[quote name='ctrek3']which shirt, there were two, the white one with cloud on it, or the black one with sephiroth walking through the flames on the back[/QUOTE]
It was the first. I've never seen the second. Where was it given out?

I also had that preorder FFVII Cloud shirt. It was my favorite shirt for years. It started to get holes in it so I gave it to a friend to stitch up. Unfortunately she dropped out of college shortly after and I never saw it again.

Ughh I hated Salsa. I never used her or her sister. I liked Jazz, defiantly has the coolest weapon in the game. Unfortunately his character was way underdeveloped, but then all the characters are.

I just used Jazz, Viola, and a mixture of the other characters.

Viola is pretty damn awesome with her healing and long range combat abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back