RPG Thread VI needs a remake

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Rodimus']I like it when it's optional. I'll pour myself a stiff drink and grind away for an hour or two. I find it relaxing.[/QUOTE]

I find it oddly relaxing too. Probably in the same way old ladies like to sew or cross-stitch.

everyone knows my opinion about grinding when it comes to dragon quest.

it's usually not necessary unless you're playing the old old school games on NES. =)

It's funny, I don't like when I find out I have to grind, but once I start I have trouble stopping. I read about a good place to get early experience in VP2: Silmeria, and then leveled for hours more than I needed to. Upgrading just gets addictive.

[quote name='pete5883'] Upgrading just gets addictive.[/QUOTE]

Exploration and upgrading, my two favorite parts of RPGs. Just beat Odin in FFXIII, took a few tries.

I was lucky enough to beat Odin on my first try. There were a few close calls, though. I like that fight a lot more than the Shiva sisters fight though. I think going for Platinum in FFXIII hurt my lasting impression of it, though. I might go back to it one day. But for now, a little more Dragon Quest IX.

I finally saw 100+ damage crits with my Rogue's Bow! Shale just kinda sits around throwing Rocks when the cooldowns are off, and Alistar rips into people with the Chasind Great Maul. I'm about 1/2 through Orzammar, and after that, the Forest, and then the rest of the game from there (having completed all DLC except Leliana's Song, because I don't have that one yet...or Darkspan Chronicles).

C'mon, I can finish it with this character!

I was just looking through this thread and can't help but see tons of FF posts. Now I must wonder why FF is such a big deal to everyone. I've only played FFVII, and stopped half way through. It wasn't bad or anything, but... just wasn't living up to all the great stuff I've read about it.

I'm a fan of Western RPGs. Two of my favourite games ever are Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape: Torment. Both have great characters, great stories (especially PS:T, possibly the best ever in a video game), and vibrant game worlds that just suck you in.

Then I tried FFVII. I felt the combat was alright (definitely not what I'm used to in an RPG, but it was pretty fun once I got used to it), the atmosphere was decent, but I had a major problem with the writing. Having being used to the massive amount of excellent writing in BG2 and PS:T, the dialogue in FFVII was noticeably less sophisticated, so much so that I wondered if the game was written by high-schoolers. Given that one of the major aspects of the game I was drawn to was the story, I couldn't help but be distracted by the sub-par dialogue to the point where I didn't even care much about the story anymore. That's when I decided to stop.

The linearity of the game bothered me too. There wasn't really any choices to be chosen or different paths to be taken. What I liked about BG2 is the ability to actually assume differing roles resulting in drastic changes in the storyline. If I wanted to be an evil mage without a care for another living being, I could. If I wanted to be a sneaky pickpocket who is actually a very kind and gentle person, I could do that too. It's what role-playing is all about.

So... what's so special about FF? Nostalgia, or is there something I'm not getting?

[quote name='dark2025']

So... what's so special about FF? Nostalgia, or is there something I'm not getting?[/QUOTE]

Many people grew up with IV and VI and just keep playing. They lost me at 8 and 10, personally.

Has anybody played Trinity Universe or Cross Edge on the PS3? How are they? If they're good, I was thinking of picking them up whenever I get around to getting a PS3.

After playing something like PS:T I can understand your gripes about writing and depth of plot, but you must understand that's not something developers are even trying to approach with the FF experience.

I definitely dig WRPGs as well, but the experience of many JRPGs is just so completely different that it really depends on my whatever I'm feeling like at the moment. If I want to a wide branching system of choice so I can stroke my chin as I make dramatic decisions that impact the world around me, I'll pick up something like Baldurs or more recently, Dragon Age.

If I want to load up a save point and return right back into a compelling, fantastical adventure featuring a colorful cast of characters, well I may just prefer something like an FF game. Corny dialogue aside (it makes everyone wince once and while, you're not alone), many FFs are praised for their character development and narratives just as much as their often times faster paced combat.

Perhaps it's not done in the same sophisticated manner, but that's the beautiful thing about variety. No one is going to argue that FF[insert number here] has deeper writing than a game like PS:T, but then again, it doesn't really need it to convey its messages.

EDIT: And as for nostalgia, well, I'd say that causes more hatred than love for the franchise -- at least on forums. The FFXIII rage is starting to die down though, we'll just have to wait for Versus.

[quote name='dark2025']I was just looking through this thread and can't help but see tons of FF posts. Now I must wonder why FF is such a big deal to everyone.[/QUOTE]

It's not a big deal to everyone but it always creates a heated discussion. Each entry is unique from the last, they don't all follow the same formula. So it's natural each person have their favorites. This leads to debate in any RPG thread.

[quote name='dark2025']So... what's so special about FF? Nostalgia, or is there something I'm not getting?[/QUOTE]

What exactly are you trying to "get?" Why it's so popular? It's one of the oldest RPG series ever. I don't think I need to say more.

[quote name='panzerfaust']After playing something like PS:T I can understand your gripes about writing and depth of plot, but you must understand that's not something developers are even trying to approach with the FF experience.

I definitely dig WRPGs as well, but the experience of many JRPGs is just so completely different that it really depends on my whatever I'm feeling like at the moment. If I want to a wide branching system of choice so I can stroke my chin as I make dramatic decisions that impact the world around me, I'll pick up something like Baldurs or more recently, Dragon Age.

If I want to load up a save point and return right back into a compelling, fantastical adventure featuring a colorful cast of characters, well I may just prefer something like an FF game. Corny dialogue aside (it makes everyone wince once and while, you're not alone), many FFs are praised for their character development and narratives just as much as their often times faster paced combat.

Perhaps it's not done in the same sophisticated manner, but that's the beautiful thing about variety. No one is going to argue that FF[insert number here] has deeper writing than a game like PS:T, but then again, it doesn't really need it to convey its messages.

EDIT: And as for nostalgia, well, I'd say that causes more hatred than love for the franchise -- at least on forums. The FFXIII rage is starting to die down though, we'll just have to wait for Versus.[/QUOTE]

I've barely played any WRPGs. What would you suggest is a good starting point?

[quote name='2DMention']I've barely played any WRPGs. What would you suggest is a good starting point?[/QUOTE]

Mass Effect or Dragon Age. Really anything from Bioware. Oblivion or Fallout 3 would also be good ones.

[quote name='Erad30']Mass Effect or Dragon Age. Really anything from Bioware. Oblivion or Fallout 3 would also be good ones.[/QUOTE]

I'd suggest Fallout 3 over ME. ME was horrid, IMO. Not sure about Dragon Age.

[quote name='2DMention']I've barely played any WRPGs. What would you suggest is a good starting point?[/QUOTE]

Depends if you like to hit things with a sword or shoot things with guns.

But yeah, can't go wrong with Bethesda or Bioware games as others have mentioned.

Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Fallout 3, and Oblivion are all in my top 10 games for this gen, so you really can't go wrong with any of them IMO.

If you're into LOTR-like fantasy go with Dragon Age. It's fun and the characters are memorable.

If you're into Science Fiction, go with Mass Effect 1 and 2. Pretty much the best Western RPGs, IMO. :bouncy:

[quote name='ForeStorm']Where does The Witcher fall?[/QUOTE]

Never played it, though if we're including European games in Western (and I don't see why we wouldn't) than it certainly qualifies.

Speaking of European-developed RPGs, I was a huge fan of Sacred 2. It's a very fun game, especially if you're as loot-obsessed as I am.

[quote name='bvharris']Never played it, though if we're including European games in Western (and I don't see why we wouldn't) than it certainly qualifies.

Speaking of European-developed RPGs, I was a huge fan of Sacred 2. It's a very fun game, especially if you're as loot-obsessed as I am.[/QUOTE]
OK, I wasn't sure if "Western" included European ones. They're closer to that than JRPGs, though; mostly.

I've been meaning to get into Sacred 2; Steam needs to put it up for cheap, because it looks fun.

Oh. Divine Divinity. Take Diablo II, give it more RPG and a wee bit less less action, and BAM. Fun on a bun. Without the bun.

Love BioWare, but personally think the Mass Effect games are way overrated. Dragon Age was alright for me. If you're looking for a current-gen WRPG to play, I suggest Dragon Age. While games like Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape: Torment are vastly superior in my opinion, they can be pretty difficult for beginners, especially BG2, which is why despite it being such a great game, I hardly ever recommend it to anyone.

So yes, perhaps start with Dragon Age, then try PS:T - that game will blow you away.

[quote name='pete5883']I think Oblivion's a better place to start than any of the Bioware games. I def wouldn't start with Dragon Age, though.[/QUOTE]
I dunno about that. DA is a much easier and more of a linear game. I think it's much easier to lose track of things in the wide open world of Oblivion. I know that's one of the best things about Oblivion, but a more linear game is better suited for a beginner. Why do you think starting off with a more complicated game is a good idea? Oblivion is a good game, but I wouldn't want my first WRPG to be that. Plus the role-playing aspect of DA is better too, precisely because of the tighter game world and the more focused story.

It's hard to find a WRPG these days that hasn't gone the more casual route already. As stated before, Dragon Age feels simplified in comparison to Bioware's older titles, and the sequel looks to streamline things even more.

A bad thing? Not really. But for fans of more "hardcore" experiences, it's gotta be a little disappointing for them this generation.

[quote name='dark2025']I dunno about that. DA is a much easier and more of a linear game. I think it's much easier to lose track of things in the wide open world of Oblivion. I know that's one of the best things about Oblivion, but a more linear game is better suited for a beginner. Why do you think starting off with a more complicated game is a good idea? Oblivion is a good game, but I wouldn't want my first WRPG to be that. Plus the role-playing aspect of DA is better too, precisely because of the tighter game world and the more focused story.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the rest of your post, but if you think Dragon Age was easier than Oblivion, I'm not sure what difficulty you were playing on. Oblivion is far bigger, yes, but from a difficulty standpoint I think it's much much easier than Dragon Age, unless you're playing DA on casual.

I'm not saying DA is as "hardcore" as Baldur's Gate or anything, but it's by no means easy on the harder settings.

Last Remnant, Magna Carta 2 or Infinite Undiscovery. Which one sucks the least? According to Game Rankings Magna Carta 2 is the highest ranking.

I hated both Last Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery. I've heard some decent things about Magna Carta 2 and want to get it at some point, but I've never played it myself.

[quote name='Rodimus']Last Remnant, Magna Carta 2 or Infinite Undiscovery. Which one sucks the least? According to Game Rankings Magna Carta 2 is the highest ranking.[/QUOTE]

Do not play Infinite Undiscovery. That game is so bad. I should of never traded in The Force Unleashed for it. :(

I really really enjoyed The Last Remnant, though it may have had to do with going in with such rediculously low expectations, but damn did I sink a lot of time into that. Really enjoyable imho.

Be sure to follow the guide/leveling tips here first though, so you don't fuck yourself over and "overlevel":

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=611

It's not so critical to avoid every fight, like they say, but do not grind except where they tell you to, or you'll be overleveled but underskilled in most fights. Never did finish it though, as I did all the sidequests and unlocked the uber difficult version of the end boss... and summarily got my ass handed to me. Thank you Youtube for letting me see the ending, lol.

[quote name='bvharris']I agree with the rest of your post, but if you think Dragon Age was easier than Oblivion, I'm not sure what difficulty you were playing on. Oblivion is far bigger, yes, but from a difficulty standpoint I think it's much much easier than Dragon Age, unless you're playing DA on casual.[/QUOTE]
To be honest, I just wasn't very good at the first-person thing, especially the spellcasting. I was pretty slow at juggling between spells and weapons too. I didn't have too much trouble with DA on normal difficulty though.

[quote name='Draekon']I hated both Last Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery. I've heard some decent things about Magna Carta 2 and want to get it at some point, but I've never played it myself.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't get into Magna Carta 2 when I tried. I only played 5 or 6 hours before giving up, but I really hated the battle system. Moreover, the graphical style is just.. bizarre. I know it's the art style they were going for, but all the characters just look off somehow.

[quote name='dark2025']I dunno about that. DA is a much easier and more of a linear game. I think it's much easier to lose track of things in the wide open world of Oblivion. I know that's one of the best things about Oblivion, but a more linear game is better suited for a beginner. Why do you think starting off with a more complicated game is a good idea? Oblivion is a good game, but I wouldn't want my first WRPG to be that. Plus the role-playing aspect of DA is better too, precisely because of the tighter game world and the more focused story.[/QUOTE]
I didn't think Oblivion was all that complicated. And every review of DA I've read mentions its difficulty. Oblivion has a difficulty slider, for chrissakes. And yes, I know DA has adjustable difficulty, but putting it on Easy makes it too easy to be fun.

I hated both Last Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery. I've heard some decent things about Magna Carta 2 and want to get it at some point, but I've never played it myself.

I bought Infinity Undiscovery at a Amazon sale but haven't opened it. I might just skip it and sell it. I picked up Magna Carta 2 from someone on another forum but haven't gotten around to it.

I want to try Trinity Universe, so I'll probably play it after that.

I am a fan of Tri-Ace games, but Infinite Undiscovery isn't so good. I can tell a lot of good ideas went into it, but the results are not too splendid.

I played a decent bit of Last Remnant before I got bored with it. They have some good advice in the thread, though; I wish I had known some of it before going through with mine, had I kept playing.

Actually, that makes me want to install it again for the PC. xD

Finally popped in Radiata Stories yesterday and played about 2 hours. It's okay. Combat's a little bland but it is the beginning. A little goofy, considering it's a Tri-Ace game. They normally have a more serious tone throughout their games. I actually like the cartoony look. It reminds me of One Piece for some reason. But what's up with main character name? Jack Russell, is their some kind of joke I'm not getting? Does he acquire special dog attacks later in the game?

Also a question for anyone who's played it, are their any missable NPCs? I loved recruiting characters in Suikoden but hated it when I missed one or two because I wasn't following a faqs, and I really don't feel like using a faqs.

[quote name='Rodimus']Also a question for anyone who's played it, are their any missable NPCs? I loved recruiting characters in Suikoden but hated it when I missed one or two because I wasn't following a faqs, and I really don't feel like using a faqs.[/QUOTE]

Ah, but hopefully you wouldn't know you were missing one if you didn't check an faq. The curse of the internet for RPGs! No more blissful ignorance?

[quote name='Rodimus']Also a question for anyone who's played it, are their any missable NPCs? I loved recruiting characters in Suikoden but hated it when I missed one or two because I wasn't following a faqs, and I really don't feel like using a faqs.[/QUOTE]
yes there are

you also can't get all of them in your playthrough

i don't think anything really happens if you get all of them though. i forget.

[quote name='Backlash']Ah, but hopefully you wouldn't know you were missing one if you didn't check an faq. The curse of the internet for RPGs! No more blissful ignorance?[/QUOTE]
Well, Suikoden had like an in-game checklist, so you'd know you were missing people regardless of whether or not you were checking an FAQ.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Well, Suikoden had like an in-game checklist, so you'd know you were missing people regardless of whether or not you were checking an FAQ.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Radiata Stories has this too. But it looks like it won't be so simple. Thanks anyways guys.

Finished Xenosaga Ep. 1 and it's kept my interest to continue Ep 2. any advice before firing that one up? I know a few people didn't like the second one at all.

[quote name='pete5883']I got my Square Enix Members reward today, the postcards. Really nice.[/QUOTE]
Got mine recently as well. They are nice, but I kind of want to get more points for something better next year :) There haven't been many (or any) "must have" Squeenix games for me lately, though.

[quote name='kainzero']you also can't get all of them in your playthrough[/QUOTE]
Yep, this is true, at least for a single playthrough. The way story events are triggered once you get to that stage in the game doesn't help, either.

[quote name='momouchi']Finished Xenosaga Ep. 1 and it's kept my interest to continue Ep 2. any advice before firing that one up? I know a few people didn't like the second one at all.[/QUOTE]

I know I for one was mainly upset at the change of VA's and art style. It also seemed shorter, but that may just be my faulty memory. I still loved the entire trilogy, but each subsequent entry felt more and more rushed (especially 3's "we can't make the next 3-4 games we had planned, so here's the entire rest of the series shorthand").

Xenosaga II has my favorite battle system in a JRPG. The only kind of sucky thing is you have to eat some damage while you stock up for a combo. But pulling off a big combo is great, especially refilling your boost gauge mid-combo. I remember I beat a certain boss
(Albedo on the beach)
in one huge combo. And don't forget you can switch party members mid-battle; it really helps sometimes.

Also, I award it "best title screen in a video game, ever." I used to put it in now and then just for that, before I acquired the soundtrack.

Playing through Legend of Heroes III and it starts out kind boring and the supers don't make sense. Highlight the char. with the R + L buttons and hit the square button? Weird.

I'll slog through it. I hope the new ones coming out will be better.

I've put about 4 hours in and I am enjoying the battle system. I agree with all of the complaints about the voice acting. No time has passed but apparently chaos has blown through puberty and has the voice of a very big man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back