RPG Thread VI needs a remake

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't played Dragon Age since my last post. It's been all Dragon Quest IX. It's far too easy to take with me and grind a bit when my friends and I are hanging out watching a movie or TV. And then before I know it, I knock out part of the story. And then I'm back at home, so I get a chance to look up some alchemy recipes, then bam, more Dragon Quest. xD

I played a couple hours of Magna Carta 2 yesterday, it's a budget bin title at best. The combat is pretty simplistic and frankly a little awkward. And the characters & plot fill every jrpg cliche you can think of (the hero has amnesia, his adopted hometown is burned to the groud, etc.). I wouldn't say it's a horrible game, but it's filler. I.E. if you've played every big/really good rpg and are looking to kill some time til the next big one this isn't a bad option.

Taking a break from Xenosaga II with Wizardry. A lot of fun so far, it is definitely interesting to play a dungeon crawler on the console.

[quote name='Rodimus']Finally popped in Radiata Stories yesterday and played about 2 hours. It's okay. Combat's a little bland but it is the beginning. A little goofy, considering it's a Tri-Ace game. They normally have a more serious tone throughout their games. I actually like the cartoony look. It reminds me of One Piece for some reason. But what's up with main character name? Jack Russell, is their some kind of joke I'm not getting? Does he acquire special dog attacks later in the game?

Also a question for anyone who's played it, are their any missable NPCs? I loved recruiting characters in Suikoden but hated it when I missed one or two because I wasn't following a faqs, and I really don't feel like using a faqs.[/QUOTE]

I got radiata stories from the game crazy closing. When I went to go try playing it a couple weeks later it was too scratched to go past the opening screen. It is only 200 points on Goozex though. Is it worth it?

[quote name='eldergamer']I got radiata stories from the game crazy closing. When I went to go try playing it a couple weeks later it was too scratched to go past the opening screen. It is only 200 points on Goozex though. Is it worth it?[/QUOTE]

I also got it off Goozex, but I got it for 150 points. I say it's worth it, at least just to see if you like it. Not the best RPG but for 200 points I say go ahead and put it on your request list.

Radiata Stories is a lot of fun, the graphics and world are just so well designed. The gameplay is decent too but toward the end of the game I just spammed the same group attack and had auto-cure running through the entire battle. I think the optional dungeon is supposed to be more challenging but I haven't done that part yet.

I never finished Radiata Stories. I got a good ways through the game and just lost interest, and I don't even really remember why. I remember liking the recruitment but I guess it seemed to drag on for too long? I'm not really sure.

[quote name='depascal22']Radiata is OK but there are alot better PS2 RPGs out there. What else have you played?[/QUOTE]

Just about everything except:

The last two Atelier Iris Games
Digital Devil Saga 1& 2
Devil Summoner (that guy vs this guy) 2 (liked the 1st one)
Ar Tonelico 1&2

everything else I've played.

Never really got into Ar Tonelico but thought it was okay. Lots of sexual undertones. I hear Tonelico 2 has a pretty bad glitch. If you can afford it I'd go with DDS.

That reminds me, I still haven't completed Devil Summoner 2 yet.

[quote name='pete5883']Strongly recommended the DDS's.[/QUOTE]

I think they're over priced. Besides, I played and really enjoyed Nocturne. How much more SMT style gaming do I really need?
Isn't it all just MOTS?

[quote name='Erad30']I played a couple hours of Magna Carta 2 yesterday, it's a budget bin title at best. The combat is pretty simplistic and frankly a little awkward. And the characters & plot fill every jrpg cliche you can think of (the hero has amnesia, his adopted hometown is burned to the groud, etc.). I wouldn't say it's a horrible game, but it's filler. I.E. if you've played every big/really good rpg and are looking to kill some time til the next big one this isn't a bad option.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like something I'd play after I beat Legend of Heroes III, although by that time, 4 Heroes of light will probably be out. I still want to play Trinity Universe.

There isn't really anything else coming out this year, is there?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Erad30']I played a couple hours of Magna Carta 2 yesterday, it's a budget bin title at best. The combat is pretty simplistic and frankly a little awkward. And the characters & plot fill every jrpg cliche you can think of (the hero has amnesia, his adopted hometown is burned to the groud, etc.). I wouldn't say it's a horrible game, but it's filler. I.E. if you've played every big/really good rpg and are looking to kill some time til the next big one this isn't a bad option.[/QUOTE]

I agree with your points and though I have only played it for a handful of hours, it still had some sort of charm for me. I plan on going back to it and finishing it eventually.

Speaking of Ar Tonelico does it get better? I'm currently
barely got Aurica in Phase 1 and a friend of mine who beat it says the game gets WORSE in Phase 2...so....
...so should I continue it or take the quick way out?

By that I mean...
he also told me, since I said I didn't enjoy it, that I could beat the game in Phase 1, kinda like how you could Persona 3 by making a choice near the end of the phase. Is it like a Bad Ending, but still an ending?

Any replies would be much appreciated.

Also fuck Disgaea. Was level grinding for 2 hours to get a Ninja and Prism Mage, barely in Episode 3, and then tried to do a promotion exam and died. GAME OVER. Lost 2 hours and don't feel like going back yet.

I played Ar Tonelico 2 and got stuck on a boss, and didn't level enough, and didn't have very good weapons, so I just quit, and put the game on the shelf.

I haven't touched it again.

[quote name='2DMention']I played Ar Tonelico 2 and got stuck on a boss, and didn't level enough, and didn't have very good weapons, so I just quit, and put the game on the shelf.

I haven't touched it again.[/QUOTE]

I was talking about Ar Tonelico 1, but a friend did tell me about that. (He, apparently, plays way more RPGs then me.)

He said you level a lot the first half of the game, then don't level for awhile, and there is no way to level when you reach a boss at the end of the "no leveling" phase, if that makes any sense. So he quit the game and gave it back to me.

[quote name='eldergamer']I think they're over priced. Besides, I played and really enjoyed Nocturne. How much more SMT style gaming do I really need?
Isn't it all just MOTS?[/QUOTE]

There are similarities. Namely the "Press Turn" battle system were you hit an enemies weakness and are awarded another turn. The other big similarity is the art style and atmosphere. Include familiar enemies, spells and a unforgiving difficulty and the likeness stops there.

The biggest difference from other SMT games is there is no fusion or demon recruitment, instead you have predetermined teammates. You're given an ability grid where you spend points for new ablities much like FFX & FFXIII. Nocturne suffered from little to no character interaction or story. This is not the case with DDS. There's tons of cut scenes and drama to enjoy.

The choice is yours weather you want to sink into another deep SMT game but it really is a different beast altogether.

Thank you ;)

I really liked the DDS series and will jump at the chance to talk about it. For a JRPG the story was deep and genuinely entertaining. Complex characters and an extremely dark and gloom world. Kinda like the Matrix meets Mad Max. My favorite character was Heat. I've always been drawn to the anti-heroes and his character was done very well , especially in DDS2. Even Ceilo ,who was the most annoy, had a personality which contrasted the rest of the party, and ultimately was needed as to not make the game such a downer.

Yeah, DDS was surprisingly different from Nocturne... both are definitely worth playing. Personally, I thought the first DDS started out a bit slow (it was my first SMT game) and it was tough as shit compared to the RPGs I was used to... but it steadily improved as it went on. DDS2 was just fantastic from start to finish.

I really should tackle those games again sometime.

[quote name='eldergamer']I think they're over priced. Besides, I played and really enjoyed Nocturne. How much more SMT style gaming do I really need?
Isn't it all just MOTS?[/QUOTE]
I liked DDS a lot more than Nocturne. DDS has something similar to the Sphere Grid from FFX, which I enjoyed a lot more than fusing monsters. The story is the farthest possible thing from your typical JRPG fare.

I'm ashamed to admit that despite owning Nocturne, DDS, and Devil Summoner, I haven't played any of them. I know I should, since I love Persona and Devil Survivor is one of my favorite games of this gen, but in typical backlog fashion I just never seem to get around to the SMT games.

Hmmm. Well I've got 1000 points to spend on goozex. DDS 1 is 650 points and has no wait. DDS 2 is only 400 points but has 74 people ahead of me. I really don't want to use over half my points on one game.

hey girls

004.jpg

Are there even any worthwhile JRPGs coming out the rest of the year?

As far as I know there's,

Eterian Odyssey III
Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light
Knights in the Nightmare
Ys 7
Ys 3 remake (forgot what it's called)

About the only one's I'm interested in are the Ys games and 4 Heroes of Light.

I'm really excited for Valkyria Chronicles 2 (PSP), since the first game is the only SRPG I've actually made it all the way through (I almost always get bored of SRGPs and never finish them, or just get fed up with ridiculous battles). But Valkyria Chronicles was just really fun, and I think it also benefited greatly from having no real grinding which is usually what burns me out in SRPGs.

Although Selvaria probably isn't going to play a part in VC2 (though I guess you can unlock her as a playable secret character), and Selvaria was my favorite character in VC1. Still, I have high hopes.

ugh i want vc2 but i don't want to buy a psp...

my friends and i call selvaria "big tits mcgee." i don't think anyone understands us when we talk about the game.
also i hate how the game had a really cool premise...
then LASERS happened. and a love story. ughhhhh.

---

i only remember rune factory because when you start the game on DS the guy says "WELCOME TO RUNE FACTORY!"

he sounded so excited about it

[quote name='kainzero']and a love story. ughhhhh.[/QUOTE]

That is what I liked about VC's story; especially the juxtaposition of the relationships of Selvaria and Maximilian with Alicia and Welkin.

[quote name='icebeast']That is what I liked about VC's story; especially the juxtaposition of the relationships of Selvaria and Maximilian with Alicia and Welkin.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Usually I don't go much for love stories in games (especially JRPGs) but I thought it was very well done in VC. Then again, it's my favorite game of this gen, so I'm inclined to like pretty much everything about it.

Really? I thought VC's plot was pretty poor. There's not really a love story aside from several cutscenes of Alicia and Welkin acting like shy, 12 year old anime characters. It's a shame the whole thing was so damn childish considering how serious the game took its plot (and how well it was organized). Lectures and messages about war and discrimination were handled in the most shallow, predictable ways. And I honestly felt more attached to some of the characters I recruited than the actual main cast. Had some really badass cutscenes with Selveria though ;).

But I mean good lord, that ending with the
"oh! the weapon was actually a huge freaking tower in the middle of the capital city! -- who would think to look there?"
-- I vomited all over my dualshock 3 at that point.

Everything else about the game was pretty sweet though, I just hope the they make some more convincing battles with the sequel. You never really felt intimidated by the enemy more so than you felt you simply had to cut through them and not make a stupid move.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Really? I thought VC's plot was pretty poor. There's not really a love story aside from several cutscenes of Alicia and Welkin acting like shy, 12 year old anime characters. It's a shame the whole thing was so damn childish considering how serious the game took its plot (and how well it was organized). Lectures and messages about war and discrimination were handled in the most shallow, predictable ways. And I honestly felt more attached to some of the characters I recruited than the actual main cast. Had some really badass cutscenes with Selveria though ;).

Everything else about the game was pretty sweet though, I just hope the they make some more convincing battles with the sequel. You never really felt intimidated by the enemy more so than you felt you simply had to cut through them and not make a stupid move.[/QUOTE]
Seriously!
Freakin anime.

I really wanted to like story. I liked the comparison with WW2. I liked the setting. I loved the gameplay. I liked the art style. The non-main cast characters were a little wonky but in that silly "har har Japanese" way. (Oh Marina, you sexy sniper you...)

But--
1: FREAKIN LASERS. It had the realistic angle going up until
Selvaria showed up and fired lasers from her lance.
2: The corny anime-ness of it all.
When that one girl got shot in your party I was like OH NOOOOOOO ;_; then the bar girl SANG A SONG IN FRONT OF HER GRAVE. Again, going away from realism and promoting anime-ness.
Or how about stupid main-cast personality quirks. "Hi I'm Alicia, I'm a cold blooded killer on the battlefield but I just love making bread! Tee hee! Now let's bring along this cute pig I found on the way!"
3: Oh, the love story. LOVE ON THE BATTLEFIELD? Come on man! And it all happens with sparklies and stuff and whatever. Ughhh.
DON'T TURN INTO A VALKYRIA BECAUSE I LOOOOOOOVE YOU~~~~

Gameplay-wise I had minor gripes, like scouts being way too powerful and only giving story characters AP, pretty much making us use them unless we wanted to gimp ourselves.

Yeah that part with Rosie
looking at poor people made her rethink her views and then you're supposed to get all sad when you see the girl die.
This kind of character "development" is something you see in shitty anime or shitty anything. And before anyone gets pissed off at the anime generlization, I'm well aware there are some beautifully done shows out there. But both Eastern and Western culture have their lowest common denominator when it comes to plot/character devices -- I just use the term "anime" because many people relate to that easier.

And yeah, Marina was the shit.

The "brilliant" battle plans that make Welkin a hero amount to -- "hey, were going to shoot that delicate, wooden framed bridge when the Empire puts their most valued rail gun over it."
Like oh shit you just blew my mind, Empire is taking over the entire continent but can't understand basic physics or a handle a college kid sending a tank across a fucking river.

But in all seriousness, still a great game -- it's just you could laugh about the narrative until the end of time. Can't wait to try the PSP demo.

[quote name='kainzero']Seriously!
Freakin anime.
And it all happens with sparklies and stuff and whatever. Ughhh.[/QUOTE]

I'll show you some Valkyria Chronicles sparkle action (oh Faldio):

(Slightly NSFW)
ToplessFaldio.jpg

EDIT: I played the VC2 demo last night, and as usual with those types of demos I don't really play all that much, I basically just played about half the mission and confirmed that the game is a perfect portable representation of the original game, which is more than enough to confirm that I want the game. I'll be interested to see how the whole military academy plot plays out though.

[quote name='momouchi']Taking a break from Xenosaga II with Wizardry. A lot of fun so far, it is definitely interesting to play a dungeon crawler on the console.[/QUOTE]

XS series broke my heart. They should have quit after the first one.

I haven't managed to get myself back to #2 yet. I ended up jumping to the DS and playing around on that. I'm thinking I might just skip to the third one and read the story for #2.

Just got DDS2 from Goozex so I'm all set to tackle both games during the school year.

As for the VC2 demo, I've downloaded it but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Well, I'm way late to the Valkyria discussion but I gotta put my two cents in anyway.

The story is good. OK, Rosie's song was a little excessive. But still, I enjoyed it. The whole "bad anime-ness" is akin, in my opinion, to '80s hair metal: kind of corny, somewhat derivative, and damn enjoyable. They're guilty pleasures that I don't feel guilty about.

Plus, the main character has no special powers. How many other RPGs can say that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back