RPG Thread X will never be localized because you'd rather buy another generic FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Ryuukishi']This bad boy just popped up in my Gold Box offers, scored it for $24. Supposedly contains art from P3, P4, and Stella Deus.[/QUOTE]

I might have to get that, the cover alone is basically selling me (like I'd seen that artwork before and thought it was amazing). :hot:

--

Also, those rap videos made me laugh.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']This bad boy just popped up in my Gold Box offers, scored it for $24. Supposedly contains art from P3, P4, and Stella Deus.[/QUOTE]
Ha, I just came across that recently too. Also noticed that Udon has an Atelier artbook out, I'm surprised I hadn't heard about it before.

[quote name='Indignate']That's tight, Jekki. Makes me remember this song...

That's Schala Theme for those that don't know.[/QUOTE]aw maaaaaaaaaan...

but it's Wiz Kalifa.

one of the worst rappers ever... :cry:

If that's true, it would seem to fit with Nintendo's recent MO of delaying certain game announcements until said games are almost due to come out; also, it would seem that the localizations of Xenosaga and The Last Story were on the agenda the entire time (I can't imagine Xenoblade's localization into American English was rushed because of Operation Rainfall). Like bvharris, though, I'll believe it when I see it.

I haven't been on here in a month or so, I see we finally moved to a new thread

Well, since I have been gone, I have fully paid off Catherine, finished Magnacarta 2 and got all of the achievements for it, and I'm working on my second playthrough with Tales of Vesperia...

and screw Nintendo for not bringing over some RPGs, something the Wii needs

My gaming has switched from my new DS Lite to PC. Darn you Steam sale, always making me install some giant game like Fallout 3 or Mass Effect because I decide to do another play through before I buy the sequel.

[quote name='blueshinra']If that's true, it would seem to fit with Nintendo's recent MO of delaying certain game announcements until said games are almost due to come out; also, it would seem that the localizations of Xenosaga and The Last Story were on the agenda the entire time (I can't imagine Xenoblade's localization into American English was rushed because of Operation Rainfall). Like bvharris, though, I'll believe it when I see it.[/QUOTE]

On the latest rpgfan.com podcast from a few days ago, random encounter #27, one of the hosts disclosed the same information regarding Xenoblade, but didn't want to say anything further so as not to put his source in an awkward position. From NoA's perspective, it probably does make sense to hold these games until 2012 so they have something to release in the first and second quarters, as frustrating as it is.

[quote name='momouchi']Yeah but they might as well announce it before they piss off more people.[/QUOTE]

If this is all true, my guess is Nintendo is hoping that they're going to appear like heroes when they eventually announce it; to the extent that people forget about what huge tools they were about it before. An interesting strategy, I'd like to say it won't work, but it very well could.

[quote name='coolz481']On the latest rpgfan.com podcast from a few days ago, random encounter #27, one of the hosts disclosed the same information regarding Xenoblade, but didn't want to say anything further so as not to put his source in an awkward position. From NoA's perspective, it probably does make sense to hold these games until 2012 so they have something to release in the first and second quarters, as frustrating as it is.[/QUOTE]
It's possible. However, apparently NOA had completed localizations for both Disaster: Day of Crisis and Soma Bringer, and never released them. So having a completed localization unfortunately might not mean we ever get a product on the shelf.

[quote name='pete5883']It's possible. However, apparently NOA had completed localizations for both Disaster: Day of Crisis and Soma Bringer, and never released them. So having a completed localization unfortunately might not mean we ever get a product on the shelf.[/QUOTE]

The difference is that only a handful of people noticed or cared in those cases, and certainly there wasn't any media kerfuffle. I'd like to think even Nintendo realizes they're at the end of their rope in terms of credibility with the fans.

[quote name='bvharris']The difference is that only a handful of people noticed or cared in those cases, and certainly there wasn't any media kerfuffle. I'd like to think even Nintendo realizes they're at the end of their rope in terms of credibility with the fans.[/QUOTE]

This is why I wish Nintendo would get a good digital distribution strategy for consoles in place. The market for these games isn't huge - that's proven out by the Sin & Punishment: Star Successor sales - but an alternative means of delivering games might make them more profitable.

[quote name='coolz481']On the latest rpgfan.com podcast from a few days ago, random encounter #27, one of the hosts disclosed the same information regarding Xenoblade, but didn't want to say anything further so as not to put his source in an awkward position. From NoA's perspective, it probably does make sense to hold these games until 2012 so they have something to release in the first and second quarters, as frustrating as it is.[/QUOTE]
I don't mind that. I got enough shit to play. Now what I DON'T like is saying we have no plans to bring it out here. At least if your going to fucking do it, then say yes it's coming sometime. If they do it, they will make me less pissed off at them as a gamer, but it will no way restore any credibility they had. In fact this whole debacle has questioned my thoughts on the Wii-U now. I mean what if they pull this shit with the Wii-U?

I do hope so because I don't want to have to import these games, pay a premium and then have another game in my backlog just because I had to import it.

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']I might just have to go on vacation to Europe, and pick up Xenoblade along with a European Wii. I like Xeno games[/QUOTE]

As long as you're aware Xenoblade doesn't have anything to do with that series besides the name, as far as I know. :D

[quote name='bvharris']As long as you're aware Xenoblade doesn't have anything to do with that series besides the name, as far as I know. :D[/QUOTE]

Lol, oh well. I need a new RPG to play anyways :D

[quote name='bvharris']As long as you're aware Xenoblade doesn't have anything to do with that series besides the name, as far as I know. :D[/QUOTE]
It's the same creator, though, right?

[quote name='blueshinra']It's the same creator, though, right?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Although they weren't owned by Nintendo back then, obviously.

[quote name='bvharris']The difference is that only a handful of people noticed or cared in those cases, and certainly there wasn't any media kerfuffle. I'd like to think even Nintendo realizes they're at the end of their rope in terms of credibility with the fans.[/QUOTE]
I cared :cry:

Beat Nier last night and got ending A. Interesting story. Story-wise what changes in a new game plus? Is it just the ending or are their story elements along the way that that get some extra scenes?

[quote name='Rodimus']Beat Nier last night and got ending A. Interesting story. Story-wise what changes in a new game plus? Is it just the ending or are their story elements along the way that that get some extra scenes?[/QUOTE]

I've heard there are multiple endings, but that's all I know, since I have never gotten a chance to play it yet

[quote name='Rodimus']Beat Nier last night and got ending A. Interesting story. Story-wise what changes in a new game plus? Is it just the ending or are their story elements along the way that that get some extra scenes?[/QUOTE]

Theres additional scenes all throughout the game, particularly about Kaine and more scenes/backstory on the shades. You also get a different ending.

[quote name='Cheska19']Theres additional scenes all throughout the game, particularly about Kaine and more scenes/backstory on the shades. You also get a different ending.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I guess it's worth a second playthrough. If it was just the ending then I'd probably just youtube it.

[quote name='Rodimus']Thanks, I guess it's worth a second playthrough. If it was just the ending then I'd probably just youtube it.[/QUOTE]

Cheka's spot on with this one. The second playthrough adds an entire new level of emotion to the game, but you have to be paying attention. It starts out with a bit of dialogue about Kaine and then adds in some scenes with the shades and translates the shade-speak. It's a great addition.

For endings C and D, there will be no change to the game until the ending. You will also need to acquire every weapon.

I'd recommend finishing up ending B and watching C and D on Youtube.

[quote name='thelonepig']Cheka's spot on with this one. The second playthrough adds an entire new level of emotion to the game, but you have to be paying attention. It starts out with a bit of dialogue about Kaine and then adds in some scenes with the shades and translates the shade-speak. It's a great addition.

For endings C and D, there will be no change to the game until the ending. You will also need to acquire every weapon.

I'd recommend finishing up ending B and watching C and D on Youtube.[/QUOTE]
Trust me, playthrough's C and D will be a pain in the ass and should ONLY be attempted if you want to plat that game. I was considering doing it until I found out the amount of work and promptly stopped. Even though I loved Nier, I did not love it enough to go through that.

[quote name='62t']Lost Angelic Chronicles of Frane: Dragon’s Odyssey is a JPRG on PC getting localize, and it will be on Steam. Looks very old school.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/10/exe-creates-next-rpg-is-being-localized-and-released-overseas/[/QUOTE]

Looks good if it's cheap.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Trust me, playthrough's C and D will be a pain in the ass and should ONLY be attempted if you want to plat that game. I was considering doing it until I found out the amount of work and promptly stopped. Even though I loved Nier, I did not love it enough to go through that.[/QUOTE]

I actually got most of the weapons on my first playthrough, only like 2 or 3 I need to get. But still a third run is pushing it. Question about the story:
In the beginning of the game when you play as Nier in a more present time, is he the human that eventually becomes the shadowlord?

[quote name='Rodimus']I actually got most of the weapons on my first playthrough, only like 2 or 3 I need to get. But still a third run is pushing it. Question about the story:
In the beginning of the game when you play as Nier in a more present time, is he the human that eventually becomes the shadowlord?
[/QUOTE]

You'll learn the answer to that in the additional endings, but if you want to spoil it in advance, then
yes

Also, be sure to go to the official Square Enix Nier website. They have a three-issue digital comic that gives some back story on Weiss that sadly the game never even touches on.

[quote name='bvharris']If this is all true, my guess is Nintendo is hoping that they're going to appear like heroes when they eventually announce it; to the extent that people forget about what huge tools they were about it before. An interesting strategy, I'd like to say it won't work, but it very well could.[/QUOTE]

Do you really think companies think that way? Nintendo isn't in the business to look like heroes or villains or tools or whatever. Nintendo is a publicly traded company that sells consumer products that you will either buy or not buy. That's it.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm attacking you, but this whole notion of personifying mega-corporations who set out to deliberately upset or please people or behave arrogantly (or behave at all for fuck's sake) is incredibly childish to me (again trying to attack the notion not you personally).

Do people behave this way when a store stops stocking their favorite cereal? Or when a car maker retires a model of a car? Or even better, when car makers refuse to bring over their more fuel efficient European counterparts? I literally cannot think of any other good or service where this mentality is so pervasive other than games.

[quote name='DQT']Do you really think companies think that way? Nintendo isn't in the business to look like heroes or villains or tools or whatever. Nintendo is a publicly traded company that sells consumer products that you will either buy or not buy. That's it.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm attacking you, but this whole notion of personifying mega-corporations who set out to deliberately upset or please people or behave arrogantly (or behave at all for fuck's sake) is incredibly childish to me (again trying to attack the notion not you personally).

Do people behave this way when a store stops stocking their favorite cereal? Or when a car maker retires a model of a car? Or even better, when car makers refuse to bring over their more fuel efficient European counterparts? I literally cannot think of any other good or service where this mentality is so pervasive other than games.[/QUOTE]

Well yes, you do sound like a humongous ass, but I'm glad you at least tried to apologize for it in advance. This position you've taken is also not as clever or insightful as you think. Companies are run by human beings. Their CEOs are human beings and their boards of directors are human beings. Their decisions are informed by human motivations, one of which is greed, but pride/vanity, etc enter into it too. Just like when you or I make a decision.

Furthermore, one of the principal tenants of public relations is trying to evoke an emotional response in consumers - to get them excited for something so that they will buy it. That's the reason gaming companies have things like teaser countdown sites or big E3 announcements with epic music. If that wasn't true, companies would just announce a game when they were ready to announce it, whether it coincided with some big gaming event or not.

If Nintendo is indeed localizing these games, and has yet to announce it despite all the negative PR they are getting, than it's perfectly logical to assume they are making a calculated decision to delay that announcement until they think it will do them the most good. Which is exactly what I was saying.

As for you, and I know you said you weren't trying to be a jerk, but since you called my opinion childish, you can take your medicine.. I think it's oh so adorable when someone is trying to look like the smartest kid in the class but ends up looking like the exact opposite. And if they can be super condescending while they do it, all the better. Let's see if I can make your opinion look childish too: "Nice try, sport."

[quote name='pete5883']Greed is the goal of every publicly traded company. Sorry to say, but DQT is right.[/QUOTE]

That position is not at all inconsistent with what I said, if you'd actually considered what I was saying. The idea that companies just march blandly forward pursuing profit in a pre-determined way simply doesn't gel with reality, however. Companies absolutely do consider how an action will be perceived by their consumers, and sometimes they read the tea leaves correctly, other times not. Companies spend billions a year on exactly that.

You guys are both right in a sense. In the end, it comes down to some guy with a calculator comparing how much a localization and release would cost, versus how much Nintendo stands to gain, and the determination was that they would not earn enough money on the games. End of story.

But, the factors that go into that equation are not all purely numerical, there are intangibles like maintaining the company's image and how an action will affect the consumer loyalty of different segments of the market that are surely considered. That's where there is room for discussion and debate about what determinations Nintendo made and whether or not they were correct.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']You guys are both right in a sense. In the end, it comes down to some guy with a calculator comparing how much a localization and release would cost, versus how much Nintendo stands to gain, and the determination was that they would not earn enough money on the games. End of story.
[/QUOTE]

My original post certainly didn't aim to refute the idea that Nintendo's decision to localize or not localize these games was purely an economical one. I consider that to be pretty much a given.

What I was talking about, now and then, is the report that Nintendo is in fact localizing these games, and is yet to announce it, and speculating about why that might be. There's not really an obvious explanation at hand, since of course the report is just a rumor at this point. If true, it may well be that the deals aren't finalized yet and they legally can't comment, or it could be that they're waiting to make a big announcement as part of a calculated PR move. That's all I was really speculating about.

Changing subjects.. Any thoughts on the new FF rhythm game? At first I was pretty "meh" on the idea, but then I heard they were using music from all the previous games, and now I'm slightly more interested..

[youtube]mMiwEYRzh2M[/youtube]

I'm starting to hate Fallout 3, it's taking up way too much time...and I was in the middle of a Tales of Vesperia playthrough (looks like it's going back to my backlog...)

[quote name='62t']Catherine demo is out[/QUOTE]

A moment I've been nervously awaiting, since I have a sinking feeling I'm going to hate every minute of the gameplay despite the pedigree. I'll definitely try it out tonight.

[quote name='62t']Catherine demo is out[/QUOTE]

It feels great to finally try this game out in English, I've been playing the Japanese demo for a month or so now not understanding what's going on

[quote name='bvharris']Changing subjects.. Any thoughts on the new FF rhythm game?[/QUOTE]
When I learned who the developer was (indies zero, who did Electroplankton and Retro Game Challenge), that was when my interest raised.

[quote name='bvharris']Changing subjects.. Any thoughts on the new FF rhythm game? At first I was pretty "meh" on the idea, but then I heard they were using music from all the previous games, and now I'm slightly more interested..
[/QUOTE]

¿Que?

Only if I can rock out to that awesome Chocobo music in FFXIII. Vocals included.

Haven't played the English Cathrine demo yet, but I was very disappointed in the Japanese version I played. I'd really like to support this team but I'm not going to drop money on something I know I'm not going to enjoy. Plus my wife is going to think I'm some kinda hentai freak.

Playing the Catherine demo tonight confirmed what I already suspected-- the story, characters, and production value are intriguing (for some reason I really dug the stern female voice announcing "PAUSE!" when you pause a cutscene, very random Atlus-y touch) but I have absolutely no interest in the block-climbing puzzles. If you could skip all of the puzzle stages and just play it as a straight adventure game/visual novel, I'd be interested in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back