RPG Thread X will never be localized because you'd rather buy another generic FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='bvharris']Well yes, you do sound like a humongous ass, but I'm glad you at least tried to apologize for it in advance. This position you've taken is also not as clever or insightful as you think. Companies are run by human beings. Their CEOs are human beings and their boards of directors are human beings. Their decisions are informed by human motivations, one of which is greed, but pride/vanity, etc enter into it too. Just like when you or I make a decision.

Furthermore, one of the principal tenants of public relations is trying to evoke an emotional response in consumers - to get them excited for something so that they will buy it. That's the reason gaming companies have things like teaser countdown sites or big E3 announcements with epic music. If that wasn't true, companies would just announce a game when they were ready to announce it, whether it coincided with some big gaming event or not.[/QUOTE]

My point was not that Nintendo is a corporation therefore they are greedy. Nintendo makes games, some of which you'll like and some you won't. It's not their job to please every single fan's wishes. My point was there is no use in taking every game they refuse to localize as a personal insult. There is no point in wasting emotional energy in being so upset. I don't think the position "Everyone should just calm down" is insightful, smart or clever at all.

I think the gamers tend to overestimate the value of PR. If internet hype translated the way everyone thought it did, then Snakes on a Plane would be the highest grossing movie of all time and Final Fantasy VI Advance and Chrono Trigger would have been the best selling GBA and DS games with respective bullets.

[quote name='bvharris']As for you, and I know you said you weren't trying to be a jerk, but since you called my opinion childish, you can take your medicine.. I think it's oh so adorable when someone is trying to look like the smartest kid in the class but ends up looking like the exact opposite. And if they can be super condescending while they do it, all the better. Let's see if I can make your opinion look childish too: "Nice try, sport."[/QUOTE]

Take my medicine? I didn't call you any names or call you dumb last time I checked. I just disagreed with all the anger.

[quote name='DQT']My point was not that Nintendo is a corporation therefore they are greedy. Nintendo makes games, some of which you'll like and some you won't. It's not their job to please every single fan's wishes. My point was there is no use in taking every game they refuse to localize as a personal insult. There is no point in wasting emotional energy in being so upset. I don't think the position "Everyone should just calm down" is insightful, smart or clever at all.
[/QUOTE]

In that case you could not have more completely missed the point I was making. You seem to still be missing it, which I guess speaks for itself.

I'll re-iterate for your benefit: I don't think Nintendo owes me anything, nor was I reacting to whether they were localizing these games or not. If you'd actually read the post you initially quoted, or the conversation preceding it (roughly posts 53-67 in this thread) you would see I was discussing the issue in the context of the rumors that the games were in fact being localized, and had been in the process for months. Extrapolating from that hypothetical, I was engaging in some idle speculation on what a possible explanation for that might be, if it were true (which, for the record, I'm not sure it is). Nothing more.

I suppose it is easier to criticize someone for a point which it would be more convenient for you to believe they're trying to make, rather than what they're actually saying. We call that a strawman. I'd suggest if you want to call someone's position childish in the future, you actually take a minute to grasp what their point is.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Playing the Catherine demo tonight confirmed what I already suspected-- the story, characters, and production value are intriguing (for some reason I really dug the stern female voice announcing "PAUSE!" when you pause a cutscene, very random Atlus-y touch) but I have absolutely no interest in the block-climbing puzzles. If you could skip all of the puzzle stages and just play it as a straight adventure game/visual novel, I'd be interested in that.[/QUOTE]

After steeling myself to really dislike the gameplay, I actually didn't hate it as much as I thought I would, though I can definitely see how it will get frustrating. The game looks great though, even if I spent half the time thinking that I can't wait to see Persona 5 with this engine. :D

Overall though, the demo actually eased some of the concerns I'd developed about the game, I'm secure once more in my decision to pre-order it.

[quote name='bvharris'] The game looks great though, even if I spent half the time thinking that I can't wait to see Persona 5 with this engine. :D[/QUOTE]

Now that....would be amazing, I think the graphics in Catherine look amazing, but I like that style too

Still slogging through FFIV and Legend of Heroes: Trails in the sky. I'm way overdue to beat those games, but I've been busy moving between my parents house and mine slowly.

[quote name='panzerfaust']yup, it's a shame. doesn't look like $60 well spent.[/QUOTE]
I think this demo is going to backfire for Atlus. People in the Catherine thread are posting about dropping their preorders based on the demo. And though I'm sure that most people who are even aware of a game like Catherine are pretty knowledgeable about its contents, I'm sure there are a good number of people who were still assuming that it's a Persona-type game or at least a JRPG of some kind, who are going to be caught off guard by the demo.

[quote name='2DMention']Still slogging through FFIV .[/QUOTE]

I finally finished FFIV and FFIV Interlude. I'm almost to the end of Palom's chapter in After Years (done Ceodore, Yang, and Rydia), so making my own progress there finally.

Almost 90 hours into FFTA2 and I still don't have Steal Lv 3. I have Steal Accessories and have had lv4 for like 50+ hours. I think I'm doing too many side missions, since I'm barely on The Request, and I have 190 missions complete (and I never choose to dispatch if it has the option).

Tried the Catherine demo. That second stage was hard, and the rewind doesn't work that well. You have to go back several moves to undo correctly.

The block puzzles are more fun than I thought out was going to be, and the texting is neat, but I actually didn't like the rest of it as much as I thought I would. I honestly didn't like the choice acting either. Buying it still for sure, but probably will stay in the back of my backlog.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I think this demo is going to backfire for Atlus. People in the Catherine thread are posting about dropping their preorders based on the demo. And though I'm sure that most people who are even aware of a game like Catherine are pretty knowledgeable about its contents, I'm sure there are a good number of people who were still assuming that it's a Persona-type game or at least a JRPG of some kind, who are going to be caught off guard by the demo.[/QUOTE]

Odd that it had almost the opposite effect on me. I guess that's probably because I'd already lowered my expectations significantly before playing the demo so it ended up exceeding them.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I think this demo is going to backfire for Atlus. People in the Catherine thread are posting about dropping their preorders based on the demo. And though I'm sure that most people who are even aware of a game like Catherine are pretty knowledgeable about its contents, I'm sure there are a good number of people who were still assuming that it's a Persona-type game or at least a JRPG of some kind, who are going to be caught off guard by the demo.[/QUOTE]

At least it's better than another generic FPS, right?

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']At least it's better than another generic FPS, right?[/QUOTE]
Hmm, now I am thinking that an FPS starring Troy Baker and Michelle Ruff where everything is pink and the enemies are giant vaginas would be incredible...

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']At least it's better than another generic FPS, right?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunatly not to a lot of gamers. They'd rather be rectally given a new Call of Duty every year then anything else.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Hmm, now I am thinking that an FPS starring Troy Baker and Michelle Ruff where everything is pink and the enemies are giant vaginas would be incredible...[/QUOTE]

Call of Duty XXX: War with Vaginas

After hearing about the Catherine demo, I am really curious to try it now. I am downloading a ton of stuff so it's at the end of my list, but I am more excited to try out this game since my friend said he spent like 30 minutes on a puzzle. :lol:.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']After hearing about the Catherine demo, I am really curious to try it now. I am downloading a ton of stuff so it's at the end of my list, but I am more excited to try out this game since my friend said he spent like 30 minutes on a puzzle. :lol:.[/QUOTE]

That's quite a long time, sure your friend wasn't playing the un-patched Japanese version?

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Unfortunatly not to a lot of gamers. They'd rather be rectally given a new Call of Duty every year then anything else.[/QUOTE]

:applause::applause::applause:

This X1000

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']That's quite a long time, sure your friend wasn't playing the un-patched Japanese version?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they force you to go pretty quickly. I completed both puzzles in the demo in a couple of minutes (not counting deaths). :D

Btw, I'm pretty sure the 2nd puzzle in the demo is not actually the 2nd level in the game. There was a pretty significant difficulty spike, it felt like it was probably the 1st boss?

[quote name='bvharris']Yeah, they force you to go pretty quickly. I completed both puzzles in the demo in a couple of minutes (not counting deaths). :D

Btw, I'm pretty sure the 2nd puzzle in the demo is not actually the 2nd level in the game. There was a pretty significant difficulty spike, it felt like it was probably the 1st boss?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it does seem like you jump quite far into the game in the demo, good demo though (Yeah, it seems like it was the 1st boss)

I don't like Michelle Ruff as Catherine. I expected her to sound more mature, I guess and I can't stop hearing Rukia or Yukari every time she talks.

That's probably my biggest gripe with the game. Well, that and the fact that you have to erase a text message and confirm it again just to go through the different choices.

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']Holy shit, IGN actually gave Catherine a 9. I'm surprised, but I still don't think the game will sell well (They gave Sakura Wars a 9 and it sold crap) http://ps3.ign.com/articles/118/1181622p2.html[/QUOTE]

Well Sakura Wars came out at the end of the ps2 so it's not a surprise that it sold like crap.Now Catherine will probably sell decent since Atlus has a good following.

[quote name='panzerfaust']what does a score from IGN really mean anymore?[/QUOTE]

It's the only review of the English version at the moment, once someone else releases a review for Catherine, I will not care about IGN's review

[quote name='panzerfaust']what does a score from IGN really mean anymore?[/QUOTE]
A bit of a sales bump, at least. You and I might not listen to them, but a lot of people still do.

[quote name='pete5883']A bit of a sales bump, at least. You and I might not listen to them, but a lot of people still do.[/QUOTE]

I was talking games with a buddy of mine at a bonfire and mentioned how jaded yahtzee from Zero Punctuation's reviews are (and how I'm damn close).

His response: "I don't know who that is, but I like IGN's reviews"

Sheesh, ya think ya know a guy...

[quote name='Zmonkay']I was talking games with a buddy of mine at a bonfire and mentioned how jaded yahtzee from Zero Punctuation's reviews are (and how I'm damn close).
[/QUOTE]

I hope nobody is making purchasing decisions based on Yahtzee's reviews. Then very few games would sell at all. ;)

[quote name='bvharris']I hope nobody is making purchasing decisions based on Yahtzee's reviews. Then very few games would sell at all. ;)[/QUOTE]

I buy games sometimes because he hates them so much.

[quote name='bvharris']I hope nobody is making purchasing decisions based on Yahtzee's reviews. Then very few games would sell at all. ;)[/QUOTE]
This is true, I mean he gave his job to Neir and then I loved that game a lot. Well the first two playthroughs anyway. Never felt the need to try for the last two for obvious reasons.

I decided to make another go at Persona 3, on the PSP this time. I got something like 25 hours into the PS2 version and loved the game, but it was just hard to make progress when I didn't always have 2 or 3 hours to plant myself in front of the television. I'm hoping the ability to play Portable for any length of time and still keep my progress will help, plus it seems generally streamlined compared to the original. I was strongly tempted to play as the female MC (new music and pink menus FTW) but the inability to get Yukari into bed ultimately trumped all else. :lol: Wish me luck, maybe this time I'll finally get all the way through the game.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I decided to make another go at Persona 3, on the PSP this time. I got something like 25 hours into the PS2 version and loved the game, but it was just hard to make progress when I didn't always have 2 or 3 hours to plant myself in front of the television. I'm hoping the ability to play Portable for any length of time and still keep my progress will help, plus it seems generally streamlined compared to the original. I was strongly tempted to play as the female MC (new music and pink menus FTW) but the inability to get Yukari into bed ultimately trumped all else. :lol: Wish me luck, maybe this time I'll finally get all the way through the game.[/QUOTE]

Good luck! Such an amazing game, though I'm a Mitsuru fan myself (not that Yuki is anything to sneeze at). The PSP version is definitely a much faster play and a much better game in my opinion. You'll definitely appreciate having full party control.

[quote name='bvharris']Good luck! Such an amazing game, though I'm a Mitsuru fan myself (not that Yuki is anything to sneeze at). The PSP version is definitely a much faster play and a much better game in my opinion. You'll definitely appreciate having full party control.[/QUOTE]
Ha ha, that's one feature that I'm planning on definitely not using actually. One of the things I like so much about the game is the lightning fast pace of the battles that comes from the AI acting for the other characters. But it will be nice to have the option available if I ever change my mind I suppose.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Ha ha, that's one feature that I'm planning on definitely not using actually. One of the things I like so much about the game is the lightning fast pace of the battles that comes from the AI acting for the other characters. But it will be nice to have the option available if I ever change my mind I suppose.[/QUOTE]

Ah. I absolutely hate not having control of my party. If you exploit weaknesses properly, pretty much all random encounters in Persona 3 (and 4) can be won in a single round anyway.

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']Is it easier to find Persona 3 on the PS2 or PSP? I haven't had a chance to play it yet and I want to play it[/QUOTE]
Both are pretty easy to find but I think you can probably get Persona 3 FES on PS2 for cheaper.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Both are pretty easy to find but I think you can probably get Persona 3 FES on PS2 for cheaper.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good, I want to play it..badly

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']Sounds good, I want to play it..badly[/QUOTE]

As you should. It's easily one of the 5 best RPGs on the PS2 in my opinion (as is Persona 4).

[quote name='bvharris']As you should. It's easily one of the 5 best RPGs on the PS2 in my opinion (as is Persona 4).[/QUOTE]

So I've heard, probably will be my next big game purchase after Catherine

Speaking of Catherine, I wonder how long it will take the denizens of this thread to come to grips with the fact that it's not an RPG. Even as I was enjoying the demo, in the back of my mind I was thinking "...so how do I level up? :whistle2:s"

[quote name='bvharris']Speaking of Catherine, I wonder how long it will take the denizens of this thread to come to grips with the fact that it's not an RPG. Even as I was enjoying the demo, in the back of my mind I was thinking "...so how do I level up? :whistle2:s"[/QUOTE]

I think we are just talking about Catherine on here because it's:

1) Made by an RPG developer
2)Comes out of Japan
3)Is better than your newest Call of Duty game

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']I think we are just talking about Catherine on here because it's:

1) Made by an RPG developer
2)Comes out of Japan
3)Is better than your newest Call of Duty game[/QUOTE]

4) Hot chicks.

Oh, I know why we're talking about it. :D

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Ha ha, that's one feature that I'm planning on definitely not using actually. One of the things I like so much about the game is the lightning fast pace of the battles that comes from the AI acting for the other characters. But it will be nice to have the option available if I ever change my mind I suppose.[/QUOTE]

I didn't miss party control too much overall, but there are a few boss battles where it would really really have helped. That said, I always take full control of my characters where possible. In P4 and DQ9 I never took the other chars off full control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back