RPG Thread X will never be localized because you'd rather buy another generic FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
BV called it
[quote name='Japanese Dorito']Katherine with a K > Catherine with a C :D[/QUOTE]

MrWrong.jpg

Star Ocean: The Last Hope is the worst JRPG published by Square-Enix on the Xbox 360, nobody can't argue with this statement

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Japanese Dorito']Star Ocean: The Last Hope is the worst RPG I've ever played, nobody can't argue with this statement[/QUOTE]

I've played a lot worse. I wouldn't even call SO: TLH bad. I'd just call it painfully average. (with hard hard hard achievements)

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I've played a lot worse. I wouldn't even call SO: TLH bad. I'd just call it painfully average. (with hard hard hard achievements)[/QUOTE]

I will fix my statement here in a minute, and yes it had hard achievements, I only got to 80/1000 before I couldn't take it anymore...

and the voice acting made it all worse

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']Star Ocean: The Last Hope is the worst RPG on the Xbox 360, nobody can't argue with this statement[/QUOTE]

Double negative aside, I can definitely argue with that statement. :D

Secret_of_the_stars.jpg

I actually enjoyed SO:TLH, though I never actually managed to finish it.

I have two words to give you a worse RPG then SO:TLH on Xbox 360.
Those are Two Worlds. (and there is more but I'll just go right near the bottom)

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']I only got to 80/1000 before I couldn't take it anymore...[/QUOTE]
Big 20/1000 for me... Oh well! Besides, Last Remnant was even worse, and doubly worse because the guy who recommended it to me insisted that it was a lot like Final Fantasy XII.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Big 20/1000 for me... Oh well! Besides, Last Remnant was even worse, and doubly worse because the guy who recommended it to me insisted that it was a lot like Final Fantasy XII.[/QUOTE]

I bought Last Remnant, and didn't enjoy it. It was a cool concept, but god I couldn't get into it, I only got 10/1000 on it too

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Big 20/1000 for me... Oh well! Besides, Last Remnant was even worse, and doubly worse because the guy who recommended it to me insisted that it was a lot like Final Fantasy XII.[/QUOTE]

I've got 230/1000, which represents not quite one full playthrough. I sold my 360 version though, so if I ever go back to it I'll need to start over again on PS3.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I have two words to give you a worse RPG then SO:TLH on Xbox 360.
Those are Two Worlds. (and there is more but I'll just go right near the bottom)[/QUOTE]

I've never played Two Worlds...

I'm probably going to get yelled at for this, but I hated Fallout 3 (on the 360). I just thought the controls were sloppy, I'm glad I finally got the PC version

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']
I'm probably going to get yelled at for this, but I hated Fallout 3 (on the 360). I just thought the controls were sloppy, I'm glad I finally got the PC version[/QUOTE]

Yell.

[quote name='bvharris']Yell.[/QUOTE]

Called it.

I'm not saying it was a bad game, I liked it, but I just don't like playing WRPGs on the 360, I got Oblivion to get achievements for it, and I thought the PC version was so much better...(more yells probably coming my way)

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']I'm probably going to get yelled at for this, but I hated Fallout 3 (on the 360).[/QUOTE]
No argument here, I didn't like that game much either-- stuck it out through the end and some of the DLC though.

But even Fallout was way more fun than Oblivion, I couldn't stand that game.

I guess I just don't like Bethesda's style. (Bioware 4 lyfe!)

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']
I'm not saying it was a bad game, I liked it, but I just don't like playing WRPGs on the 360, I got Oblivion to get achievements for it, and I thought the PC version was so much better...(more yells probably coming my way)[/QUOTE]

No, the PC versions of both Fallout 3 and Oblivion are definitely better. For the mods alone, if nothing else. It's very rare that the PC version of a game isn't better, provided you have the hardware to run it.

That said, I enjoyed them both on the 360 quite a bit, and didn't find the controls for either too cumbersome.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']No argument here, I didn't like that game much either-- stuck it out through the end and some of the DLC though.

But even Fallout was way more fun than Oblivion, I couldn't stand that game.

I guess I just don't like Bethesda's style. (Bioware 4 lyfe!)[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed Oblivion, but I don't think I will buy Skyrim until it drops in price, I much rather buy The Witcher 2

I like all Bioware games (expect for Dragon Age, but I don't want to fight about that at the moment)

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']I like all Bioware games (expect for Dragon Age, but I don't want to fight about that at the moment)[/QUOTE]
You're dead to me. :shame: And right after we fought side by side in the Catherine-Katherine wars.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']You're dead to me. :shame: And right after we fought side by side in the Catherine-Katherine wars.[/QUOTE]

Which surely will live in infamy.

I love Dragon Age, btw.

Back on Bethesda games, Oblivion is still my favorite RPG of this gen, and I am fully hoping that Skyrim will surpass it.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']You're dead to me. :shame: And right after we fought side by side in the Catherine-Katherine wars.[/QUOTE]
:(

I wanted to love Dragon Age, I really did, but I just couldn't get into it, I finally beat the game and I didn't want to play it again

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']:(

I wanted to love Dragon Age, I really did, but I just couldn't get into it, I finally beat the game and I didn't want to play it again[/QUOTE]

Whereas I played it to completion 3 times to get all the achievements. To each his own. :D

[quote name='bvharris']Whereas I played it to completion 3 times to get all the achievements. To each his own. :D[/QUOTE]

I was planning on getting all of the achievements, but I just didn't feel like it after playing it through one time. I just think I didn't enjoy the battle system, seemed like KOTOR's system, but dumbed down. I should probably try the PC version

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']I was planning on getting all of the achievements, but I just didn't feel like it after playing it through one time. I just think I didn't enjoy the battle system, seemed like KOTOR's system, but dumbed down. [/QUOTE]

I prefer to think of it as FFXII's battle system, smartened up. :D

I finished Dragon Age three times, and I'm working on a fourth play now(very slowly). Dragon Age II...now that is another story.
KOTOR used the WotC Star Wars RPG System. DA:O was same developer but they couldn't use the same system. BOth were a turn based/seems like rela time RPG combat though.

[quote name='bvharris']I prefer to think of it as FFXII's battle system, smartened up. :D[/QUOTE]

Magnacarta 2 had a system like XII's, but more action based than turn-based, I enjoyed it alot (Game had easy achievements also :D)

Magna Carta was one of the few games I broke my rule of having to finish the first game before I played the second. I've own Tears of Blood for years and never got far in it. MC2 on the other hand I beat within two months of it coming out. (which is pretty good for me)

Just to chime in, I freaking loved Last Remnant. Soooo unique. Sure some bits could have been handled better, but it was a breath of fresh air for me at the time.

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']I was planning on getting all of the achievements, but I just didn't feel like it after playing it through one time. I just think I didn't enjoy the battle system, seemed like KOTOR's system, but dumbed down. I should probably try the PC version[/QUOTE]
Try Dragon Age II if you haven't, it's got a different flavor despite not being radically different in gameplay terms. I actually like DA2 better than the first (I'm weird like dat), though I liked the first enough to get the 1750 too. :)

Skyrim is baffling to me. I just can't understand what people see in it. I feel like I'm living in bizarro world when people talk about in the same breath as other upcoming games like Mass Effect 3 and BioShock Infinite. :whistle2:#

[quote name='Zmonkay']Just to chime in, I freaking loved Last Remnant. Soooo unique. Sure some bits could have been handled better, but it was a breath of fresh air for me at the time.[/QUOTE]

You already hurt your credibility though when you were complaining about Tales of Vesperia awhile ago. ;)

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Magna Carta was one of the few games I broke my rule of having to finish the first game before I played the second. I've own Tears of Blood for years and never got far in it. MC2 on the other hand I beat within two months of it coming out. (which is pretty good for me)[/QUOTE]

It only took me 3 weeks to beat it, but I was using the add-on straight from the start, so I had all of the over-leveled weapons :D But it is a JRPG I would tell my friends to play

[quote name='Hell Monkey']You already hurt your credibility though when you were complaining about Tales of Vesperia awhile ago. ;)[/QUOTE]

How does someone complain about Tales of Vesperia?!? That has to be my favorite game this generation

[quote name='Ryuukishi']
Skyrim is baffling to me. I just can't understand what people see in it. I feel like I'm living in bizarro world when people talk about in the same breath as other upcoming games like Mass Effect 3 and BioShock Infinite. :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

This is when we need a fist shaking emoticon.

Skyrim, to me, looks better than either of those games. I guess it really comes down to what you want out of an RPG. I will always take a well-constructed, massive open-ended RPG even if it lacks the tight, focused direction (which is what a lot of people don't like about Oblivion). But that's just a matter of personal preference. I don't see how you would fail to even see the appeal though.. Or was that hyperbole?

I'm never listening to a positive comment towards a mediocre JRPG again. Ever. Stop hyping games simply because they're niche.

Basically, fuck Resonance of Fate.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Skyrim is baffling to me. I just can't understand what people see in it. I feel like I'm living in bizarro world when people talk about in the same breath as other upcoming games like Mass Effect 3 and BioShock Infinite. :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

I'm excited for Mass Effect 3, but I'll wait till it drops in price (found Mass Effect 2 for 10 bucks at Blockbuster back in September)

Yes, I'm a cheap ass

[quote name='panzerfaust']I'm never listening to a positive comment towards a mediocre JRPG again. Ever. Stop hyping games simply because they're niche.

Basically, fuck Resonance of Fate.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I got so hyped up for that game and then when I finally played it I was so disappointed. Never again, tri-Ace. :D

It's just mind boggling to me that a game like RoF can come out -- alongside FFXIII as a perfect example -- and one receives paragraph upon paragraph of analysis and criticism and the other gets, "you know, despite its flaws, it's a really creative and fun RPG."

fuck hipsters.

Not trying to start a XIII conversation, but it's a clear example of how forum culture works.

[quote name='panzerfaust']It's just mind boggling to me that a game like RoF can come out -- alongside FFXIII as a perfect example -- and one receives paragraph upon paragraph of analysis and criticism and the other gets, "you know, despite its flaws, it's a really creative and fun RPG."

fuck hipsters.

Not trying to start a XIII conversation, but it's a clear example of how forum culture works.[/QUOTE]

You have to remember that 13 is part of a huge franchise and had much higher expectations than RoF.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Do we call RPGs J or W based on where they are from or their design style?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm[/QUOTE]

Design style.

WRPGs are RPGs that don't really pay attention to the story, but rather let you do whatever you want. JRPGs are games that are story strong and are set on a linear path (kinda...)

[quote name='panzerfaust']Do we call RPGs J or W based on where they are from or their design style?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm[/QUOTE]

I always did it on where it was from. JD's explaination fails when you go to games like Dragon Age or Mass Effect that actually have an extremely strong story, but aren't nearly as open as games like Oblivion/Fallout.

I don't think anyoen is going to call Mass Effect a J-RPG

[quote name='bvharris']I don't see how you would fail to even see the appeal though.. Or was that hyperbole?[/QUOTE]
No? Honestly, you couldn't pay me to play Skyrim. I feel about it the way most of this thread feels about Call of Duty. :lol: But for all the people who dig that style of game, I hope it exceeds your wildest expectations. :D

[quote name='panzerfaust']Do we call RPGs J or W based on where they are from or their design style?[/QUOTE]
Where it's from. Sorry Canadian dude that made that one DS game, stealing sprites from Chrono Trigger does not a real JRPG make.

I thought Oblivion was boring, but Skyrim actually has me interested. I'm just getting a little tired of stock DnD shit, so hopefully Skyrim will have a little of its own personality.

[quote name='themaster20000']You have to remember that 13 is part of a huge franchise and had much higher expectations than RoF.[/QUOTE]

That was the entire point of my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back