RPG Thread X will never be localized because you'd rather buy another generic FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='panzerfaust']It's just mind boggling to me that a game like RoF can come out -- alongside FFXIII as a perfect example -- and one receives paragraph upon paragraph of analysis and criticism and the other gets, "you know, despite its flaws, it's a really creative and fun RPG."

fuck hipsters.

Not trying to start a XIII conversation, but it's a clear example of how forum culture works.[/QUOTE]
that's because there are like 2 billion fans of final fantasy and like 3 people who played RoF. you're more likely to get analysis from a bigger group of people than a smaller one.

actually when i think about it, i still think "you know, despite its flaws, it's a really creative and fun RPG" about RoF.

[quote name='Draekon']
doritos-japan-lg-x1.jpg
?[/QUOTE]
Oh Japan, never change

[quote name='panzerfaust']Do we call RPGs J or W based on where they are from or their design style?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm[/QUOTE]

I would say design style. An American company can make a JRPG and I guess Japan can make a WRPG. I don't think they have, but they could.

[quote name='momouchi']I would say design style. An American company can make a JRPG and I guess Japan can make a WRPG. I don't think they have, but they could.[/QUOTE]

Capcom is making Dragon's Dogma, which looks like a WRPG, so good sir, you're statement is correct

[quote name='distgfx']Hey now, I did not buy another generic FPS! I just bought the next iteration of fighting game #23 over and over.[/QUOTE]

Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition?

[quote name='panzerfaust']no one plays BB.[/QUOTE]

I know... :cry:

But do you know what everybody does play and loves with a passion? Final Fantasy XIII.

[quote name='distgfx']I know... :cry:

But do you know what everybody does play and loves with a passion? Final Fantasy XIII.[/QUOTE]

Hope is the bomb

[quote name='Hell Monkey']You already hurt your credibility though when you were complaining about Tales of Vesperia awhile ago. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I apparently have really odd tastes: FF8 is my fave (with XII being a close second) FF, Abyss is prolly my fave Tales (Vesperia wasn't bad, I think it was just over hyped for me), loved Last Remnant, don't really care for Chrono Cross...

Although I rank Baldur's Gate II as tied for my favorite game of all time (with Banjo-Kazooie :D ) That's gotta count for something right? Right?! :cool:

Edit: Oh, and I'll take BB over SSFIV any day!

[quote name='Zmonkay']Yeah, I apparently have really odd tastes: FF8 is my fave (with XII being a close second) FF, Abyss is prolly my fave Tales (Vesperia wasn't bad, I think it was just over hyped for me), loved Last Remnant, don't really care for Chrono Cross...[/QUOTE]

...what?

[quote name='Zmonkay']Oh, and I'll take BB over SSFIV any day![/QUOTE]

Okay, at least you make some sense.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']$20? Isn't it $5.99 on PSN?[/QUOTE]

I don't own a PS3...and my PSP is filled up due to Xenogears, so my last resort is to buy a PS1 copy on Amazon

I thought Chrono Cross was great.Yeah it really didn't have that much to do with Trigger it was still a fun game.Now it did have a lot of stupid characters but it had some pretty well done ones too,and the story actually had some pretty good plot twists to it.Also has arguably the best soundtrack in a JRPG.

[quote name='themaster20000']I thought Chrono Cross was great.Yeah it really didn't have that much to do with Trigger it was still a fun game.Now it did have a lot of stupid characters but it had some pretty well done ones too,and the story actually had some pretty good plot twists to it.Also has arguably the best soundtrack in a JRPG.[/QUOTE]

This, good game that gets way too much hate for not actually being a direct Chrono Trigger sequel.

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']I don't own a PS3...and my PSP is filled up due to Xenogears, so my last resort is to buy a PS1 copy on Amazon[/QUOTE]

Time to buy a PS3 then, you'll save more money in the long run by buying RPGs for super cheap off PSN!

Look, you'll already save $14 with Chrono Cross!

[quote name='distgfx']Time to buy a PS3 then, you'll save more money in the long run by buying RPGs for super cheap off PSN!

Look, you'll already save $14 with Chrono Cross![/QUOTE]

I really need to buy a PS3, better start saving my money now and not buying every Steam game that's not on sale

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']I really need to buy a PS3, better start saving my money now and not buying every Steam game that's not on sale[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain, but there are a lot of good RPGs on Steam.

[quote name='distgfx']I feel your pain, but there are a lot of good RPGs on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Breath of Death VII/Cthulhu Saves The World Double Pack!

Only $2.69!!!

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']Breath of Death VII/Cthulhu Saves The World Double Pack!

Only $2.69!!![/QUOTE]

Magicka for 3 dorra during the Steam sale, and now almost everybody owns it!

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']Breath of Death VII/Cthulhu Saves The World Double Pack!

Only $2.69!!![/QUOTE]

10% off woot!!!

Seriously it's not really even on sale and I've been thinking about buying it all day.:lol:

Also letting your DS sit half an hour to burn out last of the old battery charge before replacing it really sucks, so far I've almost plugged the thing in 5 times just so I can go level up in DQ6 for the post game.

[quote name='zionoverfire']10% off woot!!!

Seriously it's not really even on sale and I've been thinking about buying it all day.:lol:[/QUOTE]

Buy it, I'm having a great deal of fun with Breath of Death VII so far, I've heard Cthulhu is even better

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']Buy it, I'm having a great deal of fun with Breath of Death VII so far, I've heard Cthulhu is even better[/QUOTE]

I think I might, I'm assuming with the low end graphics it with play just fine on a laptop with integrated graphics? My desktop is a bit to big to lug on a plane across the country.

[quote name='zionoverfire']I think I might, I'm assuming with the low end graphics it with play just fine on a laptop with integrated graphics? My desktop is a bit to big to lug on a plane across the country.[/QUOTE]

This is for Breath of Death VII
Processor: 1.6Ghz or higher
Memory: 1GB
Hard Disk Space: 200
Video Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible
DirectX®: 9.0c compatible
Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible
Additional: Current version of Windows Media Player

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']This is for Breath of Death VII
Processor: 1.6Ghz or higher
Memory: 1GB
Hard Disk Space: 200
Video Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible
DirectX®: 9.0c compatible
Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible
Additional: Current version of Windows Media Player[/QUOTE]

I should be good then, thanks!

[quote name='zionoverfire']I should be good then, thanks![/QUOTE]

Based on the screenshots, I'd be more shocked if there were a PC within the last decade that couldn't run it.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']No? Honestly, you couldn't pay me to play Skyrim. I feel about it the way most of this thread feels about Call of Duty. :lol: But for all the people who dig that style of game, I hope it exceeds your wildest expectations. :D
[/QUOTE]

No, I mean, I get not liking that style of game. But given the pedigree of Bethesda and that both Oblivion and Fallout 3 won numerous GOTY awards, it seems odd that you would have trouble seeing why others were excited for it.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Nobody with any good sense likes Chrono Cross.[/QUOTE]

This gets more ridiculous every time I hear it. Chrono Cross was not only an excellent game, but one of the best RPGs on a system which had a lot of great RPGs. People get hung up on the fact that it wasn't as good as Chrono Trigger, which was one of the best two or three RPGs of all time. Tough shoes to fill. Obviously that's partially on Square for making an inferior sequel.. But if Chrono Cross was called Bandana-Wearing Youth Fights Anthropomorphic Cat: The RPG, 95% of the people who hate on it would consider it a classic.

BTW Ryuukishi - I know I singled out two of your posts, that was a coincidence. I'm sure we agree on 98% of RPG things. ;) Yay Dragon Age!

[quote name='bvharris'] But if Chrono Cross was called Bandana-Wearing Youth Fights Anthropomorphic Cat: The RPG, 95% of the people who hate on it would consider it a classic.
[/QUOTE]

If Final Fantasy XIII was called Linear Fantasy with Hope and the Crew, more people would've liked it

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']If Final Fantasy XIII was called Linear Fantasy with Hope and the Crew, more people would've liked it[/QUOTE]

That may well be true. Though the reasons I disliked FFXIII actually had nothing to do with it not living up to the series (though I don't think it did), if anything I gave it more chance than I would have if it was just some game (much like Resonance of Fate). Certainly one might be able to say the same thing of people giving Chrono Cross a chance, but that's never the impression I've gotten from people who didn't like it.

[quote name='distgfx']Based on the screenshots, I'd be more shocked if there were a PC within the last decade that couldn't run it.[/QUOTE]

I've run across a couple games that lagged on my laptop despite pretty horrible graphics so I've learned not to assume anything.

Also it appears my steam account was either lost or hacked, no Cthulhu for me today.

[quote name='bvharris']That may well be true. Though the reasons I disliked FFXIII actually had nothing to do with it not living up to the series (though I don't think it did), if anything I gave it more chance than I would have if it was just some game (much like Resonance of Fate). Certainly one might be able to say the same thing of people giving Chrono Cross a chance, but that's never the impression I've gotten from people who didn't like it.[/QUOTE]

This is indeed true my friend

I actually didn't mind the "sequel to Chrono Trigger" bit, I respect the attempt to take Chrono's story to a different and darker place. I don't think they succeeded in making it coherent, but I'm fine with the basic idea. And the music was great, and the gameplay was fine if unremarkable. What I hated about the game was the characters. 40-something characters, each more paper-thin and annoying than the last. Had they actually tried to stick to 5-10 characters and flesh them out in meaningful ways, I might have a much different opinion about the game.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']What I hated about the game was the characters. 40-something characters, each more paper-thin and annoying than the last. Had they actually tried to stick to 5-10 characters and flesh them out in meaningful ways, I might have a much different opinion about the game.[/QUOTE]

I'd hate to hear your opinion on Suikoden. ;)

[quote name='bvharris']I'd hate to hear your opinion on Suikoden. ;)[/QUOTE]
Actually never played one, though I have Suikoden II on my PSP and have been meaning to try it. But yeah, in general character-collection RPGs are not my thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back