RPG Thread X will never be localized because you'd rather buy another generic FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Japanese Dorito']Didn't Suikoden 2 have over 100 characters? :D[/QUOTE]

108 per game although only 40-70% are playable and typically under 20 worth using.

[quote name='panzerfaust']If FF12 was named "This is nothing like Final Fantasy," it also wouldn't have caused the internet to rage.[/QUOTE]

Say what?! That was the greatest Final Fantasy of them all, next to Final Fantasy XIII of course, made all the others pale in comparison.

[quote name='panzerfaust']If FF12 was named "This is nothing like Final Fantasy," it also wouldn't have caused the internet to rage.[/QUOTE]

If it was called ".hack Fantasy" I would have been fine with it

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Actually never played one, though I have Suikoden II on my PSP and have been meaning to try it. But yeah, in general character-collection RPGs are not my thing![/QUOTE]

How did you get SUikoden II on the PSP?!

[quote name='Hell Monkey']How did you get SUikoden II on the PSP?![/QUOTE]

This is a good question, I thought you could only get Suikoden on the PSP

[quote name='distgfx']Say what?! That was the greatest Final Fantasy of them all, made all the others pale in comparison.[/QUOTE]
I really believe this. :lol: But I liked how they put both the Prelude and the Theme to FF right on the title screen, as if to say, "For reals everybody, this is a Final Fantasy game, seriously."

[quote name='Hell Monkey']How did you get SUikoden II on the PSP?![/QUOTE]
Um, it may be Suikoden 1 or 3 or something... whichever one is on the PSN. I don't really know anything about the series.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']PSP is region-free. Twinbee collection FTW.[/QUOTE]

This is my calling, I need to spend alot more time with my PSP now...

[quote name='Ryuukishi']What I hated about the game was the characters. 40-something characters, each more paper-thin and annoying than the last. Had they actually tried to stick to 5-10 characters and flesh them out in meaningful ways, I might have a much different opinion about the game.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way about the game. I enjoyed playing it, but most if not all of the characters were not memorable.

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']True, but I think Suikoden was actually released via PSN here in American, so that would be only legit way to get it here, unless you know Japanese, spend money on Japan-region PSP, and then import that UMD over here to America to play[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know a few people THAT crazy.:D

Also I forgot about Suikoden 1 on PSN, I almost bought that once then realized I already had a hardcopy.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I really believe this. :lol: But I liked how they put both the Prelude and the Theme to FF right on the title screen, as if to say, "For reals everybody, this is a Final Fantasy game, seriously."
[/QUOTE]

FFXII is every bit a Final Fantasy game as far as I'm concerned. I don't really see any way in which it isn't.. The battle system? Yeah, it's not traditional turn-based, but it still feels like a FF game.

[quote name='bvharris']FFXII is every bit a Final Fantasy game as far as I'm concerned. I don't really see any way in which it isn't.. The battle system? Yeah, it's not traditional turn-based, but it still feels like a FF game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I totally agree, but it seemed like a lot of fans didn't feel that way.

[quote name='bvharris']FFXII is every bit a Final Fantasy game as far as I'm concerned. I don't really see any way in which it isn't.. The battle system? Yeah, it's not traditional turn-based, but it still feels like a FF game.[/QUOTE]

The battle system is exactly the same (ATB), there just isn't any random encounters.

All this FFXII talk makes me miss my PS2. I just finished XIII today though. Anything new on the PSP, PS3, or even PC worth playing?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I really believe this. :lol: But I liked how they put both the Prelude and the Theme to FF right on the title screen, as if to say, "For reals everybody, this is a Final Fantasy game, seriously."[/QUOTE]

I don't actually feel strongly about it either way. :lol:

[quote name='Jest']All this FFXII talk makes me miss my PS2. I just finished XIII today though. Anything new on the PSP, PS3, or even PC worth playing?[/QUOTE]

Is this where you've been hiding?!

[quote name='distgfx']Is this where you've been hiding?![/QUOTE]

Pretty much! I checked my last post, September of last year. Same time my last semester of school started. Since January I was just playing games so I had no time for talking about games.

[quote name='Jest']All this FFXII talk makes me miss my PS2. I just finished XIII today though. Anything new on the PSP, PS3, or even PC worth playing?[/QUOTE]FFXII I never beat or played much. Didn't suit me. I LOVED FFXIII at least. ;)

What type of games are you looking for on the PS3?

PSP has some good releases this year like Legend of Heroes: Trails of the Sky, Tactics Ogre: Let's Cling Together, FFIV The Complete Collection, Dissidia 012, The Third Birthday (some like it, some don't), and so on.

When it comes to RPGs, there aren't a lot left this year I'm looking forward to, but I definitely plan to buy on day one:
Atelier Totori
Cladun x2
Disgaea 4
Fate/Extra (OMG x1000)
Persona 2: Innocent Sin
White Knight Chronicles II

High chance I'll import Tales of Xilla. Middle chance I import Xenoblade (I want it, but cannot play on my US Wii).

I need to go back to FFXII, I bought the special edition of it back when it first came out and I got pretty far in it (The Tomb of Raithwall) but my cousin deleted my save, and I haven't felt like going back to it since

[quote name='Indignate']The battle system is exactly the same (ATB), there just isn't any random encounters.[/QUOTE]

No, it's not exactly the same, considering your party is on auto-pilot for the most part. FFXIII did the same basic thing obviously, but at the time that was an enormous departure from previous FF games.

It's recognizable as an ATB-based system, but the ability to queue commands before the meter fills, and of course the entire Gambit system, are pretty significant departures.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']It's recognizable as an ATB-based system, but the ability to queue commands before the meter fills, and of course the entire Gambit system, are pretty significant departures.[/QUOTE]

The Gambit system was the worst thing ever....

I got up to just after the first Judge battle in FFXII. I can't remember why i stopped playing it. Just got distracted I think. (and not sure by what, I think I got my 360)

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I got up to just after the first Judge battle in FFXII. I can't remember why i stopped playing it. Just got distracted I think. (and not sure by what, I think I got my 360)[/QUOTE]

So you decided to play Enchanted Arms instead of FFXII? 0_o

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Nope, Oblivion.[/QUOTE]

I like Oblivion, good game. I think that was actually the first game I bought when I got my 360

[quote name='Ryuukishi']You're double-dead to me.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I just need to spend some more time with it, hell...I feel like going back to FFXII right now

I really liked the Gambit system from FF12; I liked the whole game except for the random chest treasures and the incomprehensible story.

Oddly, I couldn't really get into the gameplay for Dragon Age; its "gambit" system just seemed to complicated at the time (a few months ago).

The thing I don't like about the combat in Dragon Age is I have no idea why my other party members die in combat. I have enough trouble concentrating on my main character.

Then all of a sudden, poof, Alistair's dead. Or wose my main character dies and I'm stuck trying to figure out what the actions for everyone else are.

We should stop calling these threads RPG threads and just refer to them as Final Fantasy threads. It seems that's what's being talked about most of the time. Specificaly 12 and 13.

[quote name='zionoverfire']108 per game although only 40-70% are playable and typically under 20 worth using.[/QUOTE]
Actually, I think most Suikoden games had like 112-113 characters because there were non-star characters too. Like in Suikoden 2 with the flying squirrel characters, and I think 4 had squids. I'm not sure about the others.

The amazing thing about Suikoden is that I always felt that most of the character were fleshed out pretty well.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']We should stop calling these threads RPG threads and just refer to them as Final Fantasy threads. It seems that's what's being talked about most of the time.
.[/QUOTE]

Well, Final Fantasy is the most popular RPG series ever...fine we will talk about something else

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, TIDAL WAVE!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgVjyx-F9Ag

hey guys, any inputs on Dragon Quest 8? Just beat MS Saga: New Dawn finally, need some new cheap rpgs haha. Also considering to try the first Disgaea.

[quote name='eldergamer']The thing I don't like about the combat in Dragon Age is I have no idea why my other party members die in combat. I have enough trouble concentrating on my main character.

Then all of a sudden, poof, Alistair's dead. Or wose my main character dies and I'm stuck trying to figure out what the actions for everyone else are.[/QUOTE]

you're supposed to manage everyone as you pause every other second, while zoomed out.

if you're playing on PC, that is ;)

[quote name='panzerfaust']you're supposed to manage everyone as you pause every other second, while zoomed out.

if you're playing on PC, that is ;)[/QUOTE]

Even on consoles, it can't hurt to do a little party management as well. And at the very least keep an eye on everyone's health in order to heal when necessary.

[quote name='hetz15']hey guys, any inputs on Dragon Quest 8? Just beat MS Saga: New Dawn finally, need some new cheap rpgs haha. Also considering to try the first Disgaea.[/QUOTE]

I really enjoyed DQ8. Very typical old-school JRPG with nice graphics. The hardest part (or one of the hardest parts) is the very beginning: you will likely have to grind some before even the first cave, though there's only a few other spots that require grinding, I think.

[quote name='hetz15']hey guys, any inputs on Dragon Quest 8?.[/QUOTE]

It's fantastic, if Dragon Quest is your thing. I personally think it's the best game in the series, and might be the best old-school JRPG on the PS2.

[quote name='panzerfaust']you're supposed to manage everyone as you pause every other second, while zoomed out.

if you're playing on PC, that is ;)[/QUOTE]

Perhaps if you like your combat to move at a glacier's pace. :cold: I'd rather not have it look like my game is stuttering because I'm pausing all the time. :cool:

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I love Rita.... not as much as Judith though.[/QUOTE]

Flynn is clearly the best.
We all know why him and Yuri were "friends." :hot:

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I never cared enough to do that.[/QUOTE]

I was happy once I was done doing it, but yet, I hate how easy this playthrough I'm doing is right now...

[quote name='icebeast']Perhaps if you like your combat to move at a glacier's pace. :cold: I'd rather not have it look like my game is stuttering because I'm pausing all the time. :cool:

[/QUOTE]
I agree. That was my problem with Dragon Age. It was too much lets force you to make every move for your characters every 10 seconds or they die. I mean I like MMO games, but I don't like it when I have to micromanage a party of more than one. I mean JRPG's like Star Ocean and FF XII are fine because you don't have to every 10 seconds switch back and forth, but Dragon Age got to be too much of a hassle for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back