RPG Thread XV Will Hunt and Kill His Brothers and Absorb Their Essence

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Rodimus']Comparing Famitsu scores is hilarious

Mass Effect 3 - 37/40
Tokimeki Memory Girl's Side 3rd Story - 35/40[/QUOTE]

hey now, each type of game to its own.

I'm sure it's a great text adventure game for girls.

tokimeki-memorial-gs-3-011.png

You no like Tokimemo's otome game spinoff series? By the way, it's Memorial, not Memory.

(Seriously, though-- Japan loves its visual novels, and that particular series is supposed to be quite good. Nothing wrong with that :p)

unlike american video game story writers, a lot of visual novel games have authors that actually move on to create award-winning literature in japan.

There's no denying text adventures are super popular in Japan, which is fine, but I just don't get it. I like reading books, comics, and manga so I figured it would be something I could like. I actually had Tokimemo Memorial for Sega Saturn, bought for a dollar in Japan. Played some of the text adventure demos on 360 just for kicks. I even tried playing Suikogaiden vol.1 with a guide. Couldn't do it, too boring.

the first tokimemo is pretty crappy but that was in an era where it was practically the first of its kind so it got a pass there.

in the modern era, if tokimemo girls side 3 gets a high score it might actually be worth something.

there are a lot of visual novels, you might not like 99% of them. i probably don't like 99.9% of them.

I really should look into trying a visual novel some time. Are they at all like the Phoenix Wright games? Phoenix Wright seems, in my head, what a visual novel might be like. I'm probably completely wrong though...

[quote name='Zmonkay']I really should look into trying a visual novel some time. Are they at all like the Phoenix Wright games? Phoenix Wright seems, in my head, what a visual novel might be like. I'm probably completely wrong though...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the Phoenix Wright games are pretty visual novel-esque. They just have more interaction than your typical visual novel.

[quote name='ihadFG']Yeah, the Phoenix Wright games are pretty visual novel-esque. They just have more interaction than your typical visual novel.[/QUOTE]
I remember reading an interview in Nintendo Power with the creator of Phoenix Wright, and it turns out he was heavily inspired by Lucasarts-style adventure games. So there's that.

Hotel Dusk seems more representative of VNs to me.

[quote name='GUNNM']I went ahead and youtubed the ending to ME 3 I don't want to play anymore.[/QUOTE]
Were you actually planning to play it? Why in God's name would you watch the ending before doing so?

[quote name='The Crotch']Were you actually planning to play it? Why in God's name would you watch the ending before doing so?[/QUOTE]
A lot of threads on bioware and xbox forums shitting on the ending curisoty got the best of me and yes I was pretty hype about it. I did the same thing on ME 2 maybe I'm just lazy.

[quote name='GUNNM']A lot of threads on bioware and xbox forums shitting on the ending curisoty got the best of me and yes I was pretty hype about it. I did the same thing on ME 2 maybe I'm just lazy.[/QUOTE]

I...what...

[quote name='GUNNM']I saved myself 20+ hours. I succeed![/QUOTE]
Twenty hours with a time machine and Marilyn Monroe's address wouldn't compensate for ten minutes of reading opinions on Bioware's forums.

[quote name='The Crotch']Twenty hours with a time machine and Marilyn Monroe's address wouldn't compensate for ten minutes of reading opinions on Bioware's forums.[/QUOTE]

Did the same thing a few weeks ago and cancelled my pre order. The ending is not just bad in that, shit didn't go the way I want it to kinda bad, although I am sure many people probably feel that way. But also in the way that it retconned its own story and generally didn't make sense. Although unlike him I am still going to play it sometime down the road, its just after I learned the conclusion I was more resistant to paying day one prices for it.

[quote name='The Crotch']Twenty hours with a time machine and Marilyn Monroe's address wouldn't compensate for ten minutes of reading opinions on Bioware's forums.[/QUOTE]
I hear so many horror stories about that place. Even by "official forums" standards, they seem pretty bad.

Oh oh, forgot to mention: picked up this artbook of illustrations by Takehito Harada (Disgaea series, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, etc.) on Thursday at the local Japanese bookstore for around $60, including tax. I overpaid for it somewhat, but it's fairly hard to find now, and was worth it at any rate.

With my luck, Udon will license it and their version will cost much less than what I paid :roll:

Some sample spreads are here. And yes, Etna is damn near everywhere in this book.

[quote name='kainzero']i would put phoenix wright, hotel dusk/trace memory, and 999 into the visual novel category.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='blueshinra']I remember reading an interview in Nintendo Power with the creator of Phoenix Wright, and it turns out he was heavily inspired by Lucasarts-style adventure games. So there's that.

Hotel Dusk seems more representative of VNs to me.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I also considered Phoenix Wright and Hotel Dusk to be a modern take on the point and click adventure game genre. If they are also able to be considered VNs, I really need to track down some quality VNs then :D Anyone have any recomendations?

(Note, if "dating sims" like Clannad count, I prolly wouldn't be interested, though I have to admit I enjoyed the anime).

i thought YU-NO was pretty good. but there's a lot of sex in it and the ending REALLY made me cringe.

what you could to is go over to vndb.com and search by rating.
a lot of VNs have sex but there's also a lot that don't. some VNs have heavy gameplay elements, some are just click fests and read.

[quote name='blueshinra']I hear so many horror stories about that place. Even by "official forums" standards, they seem pretty bad.[/QUOTE]
There are good parts of it.

You want help making a Neverwinter Nights module? Place is amazing.

But don't you dare stray into any of their other subforums.

[quote name='Rodimus']It's the journey, not the destination oh ye young gamers.[/QUOTE]

So said the bungee jumper right before his cord broke.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Hmm, I also considered Phoenix Wright and Hotel Dusk to be a modern take on the point and click adventure game genre. If they are also able to be considered VNs, I really need to track down some quality VNs then :D Anyone have any recomendations?

(Note, if "dating sims" like Clannad count, I prolly wouldn't be interested, though I have to admit I enjoyed the anime).[/QUOTE]

Again, 999, Touch Detective series, Lux-Pain, Trace Memory and its sequel (although kinda pushing the visual novel genre), Snatcher, Policenauts, Professor Layton series, and Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Zmonkay']Hmm, I also considered Phoenix Wright and Hotel Dusk to be a modern take on the point and click adventure game genre. If they are also able to be considered VNs, I really need to track down some quality VNs then :D Anyone have any recomendations?

(Note, if "dating sims" like Clannad count, I prolly wouldn't be interested, though I have to admit I enjoyed the anime).[/QUOTE]

Again, 999, Touch Detective series, Lux-Pain, Trace Memory and its sequel (although kinda pushing the visual novel genre), Snatcher, Policenauts, Professor Layton series, and Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

[quote name='GUNNM']I went ahead and youtubed the ending to ME 3 I don't want to play anymore.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the warning, you just saved me $60.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished Radiant Historia. The story was a little bland in the beginning, but I think it really came together in the end. All in all, an amazing game.

[quote name='zionoverfire']I really wish there was an auto-battle feature in Infinite Space.[/QUOTE]

There isn't, but once you get fighters, you don't have to do much other than launch them.

[quote name='cindersphere']So said the bungee jumper right before his cord broke.[/QUOTE]

So said the man who's too afraid to fly in an airplane and never has the chance to sit next to a beautiful woman where you would connect for a few hours and have a great time. Then during your layover you book a hotel room, have sex, and during that heightened sense of emotion your latent mutant power surfaces and realize you have the power to control all space time and matter. Afterwards you reshape the world to your personal liking and create a Mass Effect 3 with an awesome ending then you live happily ever after. The End

[quote name='Rodimus']So said the man who's too afraid to fly in an airplane and never has the chance to sit next to a beautiful woman where you would connect for a few hours and have a great time. Then during your layover you book a hotel room, have sex, and during that heightened sense of emotion your latent mutant power surfaces and realize you have the power to control all space time and matter. Afterwards you reshape the world to your personal liking and create a Mass Effect 3 with an awesome ending then you live happily ever after. The End[/QUOTE]

So said the man who throws caution to the wind and sits next to a beautiful woman and patient zero of a new form of sars. Then during his layover contracted the herpes from a random encounter with a beautiful woman and unleashed his mutant powers over space and time. Afterwards accidentally creating an even worse Mass Effect 3 ending via dlc that was completed before the end of development and is already on the disc and costs 1200 MS points or 15 dollars on psn, while simultaneously erasing the Legend of Zelda series from existence.

There's no point in saying that ride was great. In the end it comes down to one thing. You now have AIDS and any time you think back it comes back to one thought, "AIDS." Yes, it's that bad.

Can't wait until Tales of Graces ƒ tomorrow.

[quote name='elessar123']There isn't, but once you get fighters, you don't have to do much other than launch them.[/QUOTE]

Great news, I'm just at the point where you get them.

[quote name='kainzero']i thought YU-NO was pretty good. but there's a lot of sex in it and the ending REALLY made me cringe.

what you could to is go over to vndb.com and search by rating.
a lot of VNs have sex but there's also a lot that don't. some VNs have heavy gameplay elements, some are just click fests and read.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out, and check what the site has. Just gonna have to make sure I play when nobody is around apparently ;) It was awkward enough playing Ar Tonelico with my roommate around...

[quote name='cindersphere']Again, 999, Touch Detective series, Lux-Pain, Trace Memory and its sequel (although kinda pushing the visual novel genre), Snatcher, Policenauts, Professor Layton series, and Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.[/QUOTE]

Cool, I've actually played most of that (didn't care for Touch Detective, Trace Memory was OK, and I've only played the first 3 Professor Layton games) but I've got Harvey Birdman in my backlog, and have been eyeing 999. Never heard of Lux-Pain, so will look into that.

[quote name='Zmonkay']

Cool, I've actually played most of that (didn't care for Touch Detective, Trace Memory was OK, and I've only played the first 3 Professor Layton games) but I've got Harvey Birdman in my backlog, and have been eyeing 999. Never heard of Lux-Pain, so will look into that.[/QUOTE]

999 is the best out of the bunch honestly.

On a side note I will be starting Deus Ex Human Revolution when I receive it from gamefly. Excited as I have been wanting to play this game since its release.

I'm back to playing RPGs again too.

Gave up on Tales of Abyss 3DS. Too boring, didn't like the characters, and the boss fights were too difficult.

Playing Arc Rise Fantasia right now and really enjoying it. Anybody play it? What did you think of it?

[quote name='2DMention']I'm back to playing RPGs again too.

Gave up on Tales of Abyss 3DS. Too boring, didn't like the characters, and the boss fights were too difficult.

Playing Arc Rise Fantasia right now and really enjoying it. Anybody play it? What did you think of it?[/QUOTE]

It was okay. However if you thought the bosses in tales were hard just wait for the bosses later in arc rise.

[quote name='2DMention']I'm back to playing RPGs again too.

Playing Arc Rise Fantasia right now and really enjoying it. Anybody play it? What did you think of it?[/QUOTE]

I had a blast with Arc Rise and think it's one of the better RPGs this generation. Most folks write it off as soon as they hear the dialog (which is horrendous), but I just disabled voices. To be honest, it probably added to the charm. In any case, the characters are likeable, the plot is simple but interesting, and the combat is fun. It provides a good challenge too. It's one of the few RPGs in recent years that has required level grinding. The ending is also satisfying, which seems to be a bit of a rarity of late.

Played a little bit of Tales of Graces F yesterday. I have to say that the beginning portion seems like such a chore to play through. Combat also takes a bit of getting used to.

So, apparently the countdown ended on the Baldur's Gate site that the OP posted, and of course the site crashed. The news is on Twitter, tho.

https://twitter.com/#!/trentoster

It is enhanced versions of Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II, with the appropriate expansions included. What "enhanced" means is a good question, but they are talking about new content.

[quote name='voltanis99']Played a little bit of Tales of Graces F yesterday. I have to say that the beginning portion seems like such a chore to play through. Combat also takes a bit of getting used to.[/QUOTE]

A little annoying, but it isn't too long. And yeah, combat does take some getting used to. I'm at least 6 hours in, possibly 8 and am still learning new things here and there.

[quote name='TheLongshot']It is enhanced versions of Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II, with the appropriate expansions included. What "enhanced" means is a good question, but they are talking about new content.[/QUOTE]

fuck yeah. Though if they add new content, they better not fuck shit up.

Finally gave the Diablo III beta a go, what with the release date being announced and all. I liked what I saw, but I'm not sure I'll get it right away (if at all).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back