RPG Thread XV Will Hunt and Kill His Brothers and Absorb Their Essence

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='panzerfaust']The battles are pretty boring, but the world is really cool and the characters are a lot of fun. Worth playing, but yeah, I find it hard to tolerate the pacing of the PSX FF games anymore.

--

Emil is a huge buzz kill for Nier. I hope he just goes away soon.[/QUOTE]
I disliked Emil like a motherfuck at first, but holy shit does he ever grow on you.

People who have played Nier know what I'm talkin' about.

I'm talkin' about
UzvVO.png

Panzer, do not open that spoiler for the love of fucking Christ.

I do not see where he's going to turn around for me, but I'll give it time, I suppose. But he's still annoying, and now he's super freaky looking too.

And apparently he doesn't age, because 5 years did nothing to him.

[quote name='whoknows']I almost beat Nier, and then I didn't.

What happens at the end?[/QUOTE]
Awesome shit. Especially the new game+ endings.

[quote name='whoknows']Does everyone die? Because that would be awesome.[/QUOTE]
The shades you were fighting are the disembodied souls of the "real people". You and all the other people in the game are their replacement bodies. Devola and Popola were in on it the whole time, acting as less heavy-handed versions of The Matrix's agents. You get into a big-ass fight that kills both of them and destroys most of Emil. The shade that stole your daughter is your soul; he was trying to reunite her with her own soul. After you beat him in a fight, the unified Yonah willingly gives up her own body and gives you your daughter back.

The new game+ lets you understand what the shades were saying, layering tragedy upon horrible tragedy like a subway sandwich artist putting mayonaisse on my ham-on-honey-oat (seriously, you fucks don't know what "just a little" means). You get a post-boss-fight boss-fight against Kainé, now possessed by a shade. You can either kill her (ending two) or die in her place (ending three). Choosing ending three not only kills Nier, but erases him from the memory of all the characters he has met, including Kainé and Yonah. As the final scene concludes, the game automatically deletes your save game.

This is the part where you make an irreverent, JSP-like comment that simultaneously mocks the "art-$$$"iness of what I just said while being just ironic enough that nobody accuses you of being a fucking moron.

As for Nier's ending I thought
the second run through lets you hear the asshole shade controlling Kaine while the 3rd & 4th are the ones that let you understand what the shades are saying. I could be wrong. The last two run throughs I blazed through since I did just about everything on my initial play through.
Next to MGS3 it's one of the most emotional endings is a video game. The sad haunting music helps too.

Emil is annoying at first, but halfway through the game he becomes a little more interesting.

[quote name='Rodimus']As for Nier's ending I thought
the second run through lets you hear the asshole shade controlling Kaine while the 3rd & 4th are the ones that let you understand what the shades are saying. I could be wrong. The last two run throughs I blazed through since I did just about everything on my initial play through.
Next to MGS3 it's one of the most emotional endings is a video game. The sad haunting music helps too.

Emil is annoying at first, but halfway through the game he becomes a little more interesting.[/QUOTE]
My memory is hazy; you're probably right.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']How does Class of Heroes compare to the Etrian Odyssey games as far as difficulty?[/QUOTE]

Stay away from it. The normal battles are easier than EO, and boss fight difficulty is literally "beat it in one round, or you won't survive to round two."

I gave up after I couldn't get past a boss, because my group limit break (what I one-shotted every other boss with) evaded every attack, and one-shotted my party. This was far in the game too...

Still mixed on Nier, sorry to say. It's full of so many ideas, and some are quite refreshing, but others are pretty mind numbing. The Junk Heap dungeon, for example, is flatly atrocious. Room after room of being locked in facing dozens of robots with the same brain dead tactics. I can't believe they made me go back there multiple times. And the combat in general is just eh, you know. I can dig all the blood spattering and satisfaction from trucking on through with my whirlwind spell, but there's really not much going on here. Shit gets tedious, especially when I'm desperately trying to advance a very slow going story, which is the best part of the game.

However, elements I really enjoyed were the Lost Forest text adventures, and the temple of rules. And bosses always manage to prove entertaining somehow, I guess I'm a fan of the cutscenes embedded within them. Kaine is awesome, but I still have much to learn about her, I imagine. Emil is still awful, he really does manage to actually damage some great scenes. Like, main character:" oh shit Kaine are you oka--" emil: "WAHHH KAINE PLEASE COME BACK. I FEEL SO STRONG WHEN YOU'RE WITH ME KAINE! YOU CAN'T LEAVE ME KAINNNENEE!"

I just can't stand when children are put in games to be nothing more than mouth pieces for exaggerated emotion in the script. Not that Emil doesn't have a fucked up back story or that I don't find that interesting, but the writing for him is horrid. Lost Odyssey did this shit to me too, I get it Japan, kids are super emotional and pure of heart.

Where I'm at:
Emil just destroyed the city Aerie, and now I'm going to kill wolves with the king of the desert city, I think

[quote name='whoknows']Should I play FFIX since it's so cheap on PSN right now?[/QUOTE]

I say play it. Battles are about average for the series, though somewhat unbalanced considering that there is a character you get early on that can a learn an ability that will break the game. However the world was interesting and the game had the best music in any FF title to date if you ask me. Also the MC is not a whiney emo dude who constantly says whatever or stands in a corner whining about headaches. The story had some interesting ideas that I paused for, but the game ended on a happy note, saccharine is how I would describe it.

[quote name='2DMention']Boss fights are pretty hard and seem to require grinding in Arc Rise Fantasia.[/QUOTE]

Where are you at now?

[quote name='panzerfaust']Still mixed on Nier, sorry to say. It's full of so many ideas, and some are quite refreshing, but others are pretty mind numbing. The Junk Heap dungeon, for example, is flatly atrocious. Room after room of being locked in facing dozens of robots with the same brain dead tactics. I can't believe they made me go back there multiple times. And the combat in general is just eh, you know. I can dig all the blood spattering and satisfaction from trucking on through with my whirlwind spell, but there's really not much going on here. Shit gets tedious, especially when I'm desperately trying to advance a very slow going story, which is the best part of the game.

However, elements I really enjoyed were the Lost Forest text adventures, and the temple of rules. And bosses always manage to prove entertaining somehow, I guess I'm a fan of the cutscenes embedded within them. Kaine is awesome, but I still have much to learn about her, I imagine. Emil is still awful, he really does manage to actually damage some great scenes. Like, main character:" oh shit Kaine are you oka--" emil: "WAHHH KAINE PLEASE COME BACK. I FEEL SO STRONG WHEN YOU'RE WITH ME KAINE! YOU CAN'T LEAVE ME KAINNNENEE!"

I just can't stand when children are put in games to be nothing more than mouth pieces for exaggerated emotion in the script. Not that Emil doesn't have a fucked up back story or that I don't find that interesting, but the writing for him is horrid. Lost Odyssey did this shit to me too, I get it Japan, kids are super emotional and pure of heart.

Where I'm at:
Emil just destroyed the city Aerie, and now I'm going to kill wolves with the king of the desert city, I think
[/QUOTE]
Man, that desert city is some bullshit.

The machine dungeon is one of the best parts of new game+ (or new game++ or whatever).

[quote name='The Crotch']Man, that desert city is some bullshit.

The machine dungeon is one of the best parts of new game+ (or new game++ or whatever).[/QUOTE]

Or one of the saddest. Understanding the Shade made it really hard to go through that dungeon again.

Well uh, I beat it.

I'm guessing I need to get the alternate endings to understand the plot? Because I'm still lost.

EDIT: oohhhhh, this is pretty cool

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Draekon']I played that for like 2-3 hours before I had to put it down. Gameplay is better than the first, but the rest I just can't stand. Though I bought it mostly for collector purposes.

Nearing what I think is the end of Tales of Graces ƒ. Then I guess I'll do the future arc and maybe a NG+.[/QUOTE]

I'm 13-14 hours into it. I'm enjoying it so far, but I have no idea why this thing has a "Mature" rating.

I was going to beat Nier again, but I never did.

Asking me to beat a game once is tough, asking me to do it 4 times is kind of ridiculous.

[quote name='Rodimus']As for Nier's ending I thought

Emil is annoying at first, but halfway through the game he becomes a little more interesting.[/QUOTE]
You can definitely hear the shades on the second run. I remember because it was pretty messed up. Especially that scene towards the end in that ballroom where you're basically killing children.

[quote name='Indignate']I was going to beat Nier again, but I never did.

Asking me to beat a game once is tough, asking me to do it 4 times is kind of ridiculous.[/QUOTE]
New Game+ picks up half-way through the game. Since my memory was hazy, I looked it up and:

First run gets you the normal ending.
New Game+ (which, again, starts up half-way through) gets you a minor variation on that ending.
Another New Game+ gets you the final two endings, though the choice between the two comes right at the end, so there's not too much playing you have to do to get the last one.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I'm 13-14 hours into it. I'm enjoying it so far, but I have no idea why this thing has a "Mature" rating.[/QUOTE]

The game is rated Mature? Clearly I never check these things. Maybe it has something to do with the future arc post-game or just people in general dieing.

At the last dungeon of the main game now and had to grind a little because normal enemies were utterly destroying my AI allies. On the bright side, it caused me to learn Nurse which is a god send since I never stay in one place for long enough for the AoE heals to actually do any real healing, which is a big flaw of the battle system in my opinion.

[quote name='Draekon']The game is rated Mature? Clearly I never check these things. Maybe it has something to do with the future arc post-game or just people in general dieing.[/quote]

Probably also because Kaine swears up a blue streak during the opening. It is a similar reason why Persona 3 is rated Mature.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Probably also because Kaine swears up a blue streak during the opening. It is a similar reason why Persona 3 is rated Mature.[/QUOTE]

I glanced over the box and clearly I was being misquoted in the middle of a Nier conversation. Graces is rated T now that I've looked over at the box. Threw me off for a bit as I was like "Who the fuck is Kaine in Graces?"

[quote name='Draekon']I glanced over the box and clearly I was being misquoted in the middle of a Nier conversation. Graces is rated T now that I've looked over at the box. Threw me off for a bit as I was like "Who the fuck is Kaine in Graces?"[/QUOTE]

That's the problem when we talk about different games in the same conversation.

[quote name='cindersphere']I say play it. Battles are about average for the series, though somewhat unbalanced considering that there is a character you get early on that can a learn an ability that will break the game. However the world was interesting and the game had the best music in any FF title to date if you ask me. Also the MC is not a whiney emo dude who constantly says whatever or stands in a corner whining about headaches. The story had some interesting ideas that I paused for, but the game ended on a happy note, saccharine is how I would describe it.[/QUOTE]

I'll download it then.

More info on broken ability though please :p

Anyone wanting to get all Nier's endings: All you need is the Phoenix Spear, level that sucker up a few times and you're in god mode. You'll kill bosses in seconds. Best weapon in the game.

[quote name='Draekon']At the last dungeon of the main game now and had to grind a little because normal enemies were utterly destroying my AI allies. On the bright side, it caused me to learn Nurse which is a god send since I never stay in one place for long enough for the AoE heals to actually do any real healing, which is a big flaw of the battle system in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

So... disable the AoE heals... =P

[quote name='TheLongshot']That's the problem when we talk about different games in the same conversation.[/QUOTE]

KillerRamen could have actually replied to my quote and just not realized that Graces is rated T and not M, it's hard to say. Regardless, misconceptions aren't a big deal. :lol:

[quote name='elessar123']So... disable the AoE heals... =P[/QUOTE]

The moment I got Nurse I did. Unfortunately I wish I would have received it before the previous boss fight because it was painfully difficult since all heals are AoE circles and won't hit me except for the largest one. Used up all of my life bottles and the only reason I think I lived is because I had accidently selected an all-divide that allowed me to take hits long enough to receive heals. Except for those insta-kill shots that will randomly kill anybody when the boss was below 50% health...

[quote name='Draekon']The moment I got Nurse I did. Unfortunately I wish I would have received it before the previous boss fight because it was painfully difficult since all heals are AoE circles and won't hit me except for the largest one. Used up all of my life bottles and the only reason I think I lived is because I had accidently selected an all-divide that allowed me to take hits long enough to receive heals. Except for those insta-kill shots that will randomly kill anybody when the boss was below 50% health...[/QUOTE]

All of Cheria's heals are... Little Bro and Sophie have targeted heals.

[quote name='elessar123']All of Cheria's heals are... Little Bro and Sophie have targeted heals.[/QUOTE]

Little bro has one heal that sucks (Heals maybe 1/3rd to 1/2 of my health) and Sophie... well... I used her for a while and she was pretty quick, however I found it more beneficial to actually replace her with a DPS instead of having two healers. Although that specific fight I had issues with probably would have benefited from using two healers as you can't combo that boss what so ever so the extra DPS wouldn't have helped on pressuring the enemy. Earlier in the game I used Sophie a lot and it helped keep me alive, however it didn't help my allies stay alive and when I switched her out for a pure DPS it worked much better.

My experience run-down on the Boss combo'd for 2000-2500 regularly (I had like 2200-2600 Health). Instantly killed anyone at random with a rather high frequency once below 50% health. Also had an aura that would deal damage and interrupt you consistently that you could get caught in if you were unlucky that can drag your character around until they die. Felt like a god damned final boss.

I also miss arte shortcuts I could trigger on allies. I always loaded those up with my preferred heals from specific allies. Unless they're in the game and I'm missing them like a dumbass.

[quote name='Draekon']I also miss arte shortcuts I could trigger on allies. I always loaded those up with my preferred heals from specific allies. Unless they're in the game and I'm missing them like a dumbass.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they're in this game, but you can switch characters quickly, which I think was supposed to be the replacement.

[quote name='elessar123']I don't think they're in this game, but you can switch characters quickly, which I think was supposed to be the replacement.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've tried doing that but it's not as smooth and I'm just terrible at doing it.

[quote name='Draekon']Yeah, I've tried doing that but it's not as smooth and I'm just terrible at doing it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I have a hard time with it as well during the heat of battle.

Thankfully the item menu pauses the action, so if I'm in dire straights I can always toss out a peach gel as distraction and then eat an apple gel. :cool:

In previous Tales games, couldn't you have a party member use items, and still use an item yourself, without a timer in between? Or did I imagine that?

Panzer, if you're not in to doing the New Game+ for the alternate endings, I recommend checking out The Dark Id's screenshot LP of the game.

In fact, I recommend checking out all of The Dark Id's LPs. I wouldn't know how Drakengard ended without them. Granted, Drakengard had a stupid fucking ending, but still.

I'll probably play them myself, since the ending was intriguing enough to warrant some further investigation. The regular ending alone seems to assume that players have to go for the alternates in order to appreciate the story, because by itself it doesn't exactly hit home.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Ha, the piano collection for Nier came out the day I beat it. Sounds really nice. Hope there's official sheet music somewhere:

Holy crap that's nice. I only played partway (got to a desert area and got bored). I was really conflicted with that game. I really wanted to like a lot of it, but just couldn't.

If you find any piano sheet music (official or otherwise) let me know though, that sounds nice to play!

[quote name='The Crotch']Panzer, if you're not in to doing the New Game+ for the alternate endings, I recommend checking out The Dark Id's screenshot LP of the game.

In fact, I recommend checking out all of The Dark Id's LPs. I wouldn't know how Drakengard ended without them. Granted, Drakengard had a stupid fucking ending, but still.[/QUOTE]
I think I'm the only person who liked Drakengard.

The best part of Drakengard 2 was that it made Drakengard look good.

I don't just mean that in a "this is an inferior game" way. I mean that in a "every time the main character from the first game popped up in a cutscene, everything turned awesome for a little while" way. Which is weird, because I didn't even like Caim in the first game.

Ultros looks cool. Love to see FFVI done in those graphics.

Beat ME3 last night. Ending sucked, but I was expecting worse.

[quote name='Rodimus']Beat ME3 last night. Ending sucked, but I was expecting worse.[/QUOTE]
Likewise. And I was expecting it to suck in very different way.

I heard it wasn't so much bad as it was blatant plagiarism, but I have no idea. The internet has been very good to me on spoilers lately. Usually I get some kid in a match of Counter-Strike to ruin whatever popular movie or game is out for me.

But hey, N7 armor in my Final Fantasy means I have a game to beat again.

yah buddy!! any1 ever go to the Deals forum?!?!

thanks to it I got 3rd Birfday for $10!!!

which means I finally figured out what game to play next!!

Parasite Eve!!

at least, I needa finish it lol. I think my save is at the beginning of Day 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back