RPG Thread XV Will Hunt and Kill His Brothers and Absorb Their Essence

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I also think I'm the only person who liked the ME3 ending.[/QUOTE]

I was indifferent to it. It wrapped things up pretty well, but there were some serious continuity problems.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I also think I'm the only person who liked the ME3 ending.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's as bad as everyone is portraying it to be. What I remember the most about the game isn't the ending, but all the choices I made. I was pretty much an asshole to everyone except Tali. I killed two of my favorite characters. I liked it, made for a good story. One of the coolest things I found:

Morinth (Samara's daughter) I saved her in ME2. I was expecting to see her in ME3 but no dice, until I reached Earth. It's subtle but one of the Banshee's you fight is her with her name on it. Heard the same happens to Jack if you dont do her mission.

[quote name='Rodimus']I don't think it's as bad as everyone is portraying it to be. What I remember the most about the game isn't the ending, but all the choices I made. I was pretty much an asshole to everyone except Tali. I killed two of my favorite characters. I liked it, made for a good story. One of the coolest things I found:

Morinth (Samara's daughter) I saved her in ME2. I was expecting to see her in ME3 but no dice, until I reached Earth. It's subtle but one of the Banshee's you fight is her with her name on it. Heard the same happens to Jack if you dont do her mission.
[/QUOTE]
That's actually really cool.

I always killed Morinth, though. I try to keep everything "in character", and I couldn't think of any non-meta reason to pick her over Samara.

So DQVI seems to have a loose exploration structure similar to late-game DQIV. I've been to at least one town out of (intended?) order (how do I know this? The "Zoom" location menu), and have started doing a couple of missed quests to tie up some loose ends before advancing a certain part of the plot even further.

Oh, and my Mini Medal collection grows bigger by the day.

in dqvi...

after you open the floodgates it gets pretty open-ended and there's multiple places to go, so i don't know if it's going to be "out of order" after that.

[quote name='Rodimus']I don't think it's as bad as everyone is portraying it to be. What I remember the most about the game isn't the ending, but all the choices I made. I was pretty much an asshole to everyone except Tali. I killed two of my favorite characters. I liked it, made for a good story. One of the coolest things I found:

[/QUOTE]
Yeah, you run into Jack as a Phantom.

Also for those that have finished the game check out this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck
That's some compelling evidence, and I have to say I agree with it.

[quote name='The Crotch']That's actually really cool.

I always killed Morinth, though. I try to keep everything "in character", and I couldn't think of any non-meta reason to pick her over Samara.
[/QUOTE]

It's kinda fucked up but I wanted to play the renegade 100%. It's not easy considering the choices you have to make. I figured everyone wants to be the good guy, I'll be a dick.

Renegade actually helps you in some places.
For example, the only way to get full salarian support, krogan support, turian support, and have Mordin live is to have made all renegade choices when dealing with the genophage in ME1, ME2, and ME3 (kill Wrex, destroy data, lie about the cure).

[quote name='whoknows']I'll download it then.

More info on broken ability though please :p[/QUOTE]

It has been about a year since I played, and I don't like to give away to man spoilers but... ther is a character the you pick up in qu's marshe that can learn a very powerful spell. It basically lets you defeat an enemy in the next town you go to and gain enough experience that you don't have to worry about until, I would say, about disc three. I don't like ruining things but if you want more info just ask I will tell you.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I think I'm the only person who liked Drakengard.[/QUOTE]

youre not

[quote name='The Crotch']The best part of Drakengard 2 was that it made Drakengard look good.

I don't just mean that in a "this is an inferior game" way. I mean that in a "every time the main character from the first game popped up in a cutscene, everything turned awesome for a little while" way. Which is weird, because I didn't even like Caim in the first game.[/QUOTE]
Agreed

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Rodimus']It's kinda fucked up but I wanted to play the renegade 100%. It's not easy considering the choices you have to make. I figured everyone wants to be the good guy, I'll be a dick.[/QUOTE]
I think the hardest part for me was that "renegade" wasn't a consistent philosophy.

Sometimes it's "do whatever it takes for the sake of the mission", but at other times it's "do whatever I want if it feels good, fuck the mission".

sounds better than bioware's old moral dilemmas

a pack of wolves were displaced by humans industrializing the area and taking their sources of food, and now the wolves have no choice but to attack the children.

virutous: save the children.
evil: kill the children. and the wolves. and the humans industrializing the area.

[quote name='kainzero']sounds better than bioware's old moral dilemmas

a pack of wolves were displaced by humans industrializing the area and taking their sources of food, and now the wolves have no choice but to attack the children.

virutous: save the children.
evil: kill the children. and the wolves. and the humans industrializing the area.[/QUOTE]
Nobody ever accused 'em of being complex. Though it's kind of odd that Baldur's Gate 2 - a twelve year old game - has the best writing they've ever done.

Full disclosure: I have not played Shattered Steel, MDK2, or that Sonic RPG they made.

i haven't played ME3 but i did like the differences in ME2 renegade/paragon since it didn't feel as morally obvious as ME1/KOTOR/NWN and there were times when i wanted to be renegade because it's what i legitimately felt instead of for the sake of roleplay

also i like jrpgs where this decision is made for you so who knows

[quote name='kainzero']i haven't played ME3 but i did like the differences in ME2 renegade/paragon since it didn't feel as morally obvious as ME1/KOTOR/NWN and there were times when i wanted to be renegade because it's what i legitimately felt instead of for the sake of roleplay[/QUOTE]
That was kinda nice...

... except for the part where it tallied your "renegade" and your "paragon" and actually locked out conversation options if you mixed the two too often, so staying "in character" actually limited your options down the road.

ME3 did away with that system, thank fucking Christ.

[quote name='The Crotch']Nobody ever accused 'em of being complex. Though it's kind of odd that Baldur's Gate 2 - a twelve year old game - has the best writing they've ever done.

Full disclosure: I have not played Shattered Steel, MDK2, or that Sonic RPG they made.[/QUOTE]

I keep forgetting MDK2 was made by them. I enjoyed it on Dreamcast.

I keep wishing I could forget Sonic Chronicles was made by them. What a horrible horrible experience my ~hour with the game was.

[quote name='whoknows']If the trick makes it so I don't have to grind then I think I do want to know more.[/QUOTE]
You are kinda grinding, just very very fast. But basically when you get Quina from Qu's Marshe you head over to the south gate by the chocobo forest. There is an enemy there that allows you to learn a skill called limit glove. When you get to gizmarlukes (sp?) grotto there is a save point next to a ladder, that takes you to a small map world area that has these insanely overpowered dragons that normally you can't beat at that level. Reduce quina's hp to 1, by autolife or kill quina and revive with a phoenix down until its hp is one. Then fight a Dragon in that area, and hope you can get off quina's limit glove (which does 9,999 damage) and hit it with a blizzara spell from vivi. If it doesn't go down either eat it or hit it with another limit glove to finish the battle and gain a crap ton of exp. This is done on disc one or two btw.

Or you can just play the rest of the game with quina and limit glove every boss, because I believe it is an unblockable spell type. Cant' remember if anyone can block it. However Quina's character is one that, for lack of a better term, sucks.

[quote name='The Crotch']I think the hardest part for me was that "renegade" wasn't a consistent philosophy.

Sometimes it's "do whatever it takes for the sake of the mission", but at other times it's "do whatever I want if it feels good, fuck the mission".[/QUOTE]
You know speaking of the renegade system, I think the game did a really good job of rewarding staying consistent though. If you are a dick since game 1, your outcomes on some missions change, and if you changed from dick to saint or vice versa, the game actually punishes you.

Also ps3 version sucks.

[quote name='cindersphere']You know speaking of the renegade system, I think the game did a really good job of rewarding staying consistent though. If you are a dick since game 1, your outcomes on some missions change, and if you changed from dick to saint or vice versa, the game actually punishes you.[/QUOTE]
You should not be punished for having an actual character arc.

[quote name='The Crotch']You should not be punished for having an actual character arc.[/QUOTE]

Maybe punishment is the wrong word to use here, but it definitely changes the outcomes of certain missions, mostly for the worse depending on character you enjoy. But on that end why is punishment for having a certain story arc bad? It can lend weight and push the point of a tragic hero, which is the way I always played shep as.

[quote name='kainzero']in dqvi...

after you open the floodgates it gets pretty open-ended and there's multiple places to go, so i don't know if it's going to be "out of order" after that.
[/QUOTE]
Well, heh, something interesting happened today:

I dropped off the legendary sword in Felonia to be fixed up. After diddling around for awhile to try and get the legendary shield, I go to Madame Luca's who suggested I go SW of Wellshire. I'm like, "Where the hell is Wellshire?"

After a long bit of searching around SW of Turnscote (because that's what Nevan heard Luca say :roll:), I go back to a spot on the map that's in a completely different place that had been bugging me. Wellshire was just a little ways south of said spot.

Wellshire became my 20th entry on the Zoom submenu, but it's listed fourth, after Madame Luca's place. The monsters in the area are also pretty weak for the town being in the location it is. Doesn't really make any sense :whistle2:s

[quote name='cindersphere']Maybe punishment is the wrong word to use here, but it definitely changes the outcomes of certain missions, mostly for the worse depending on character you enjoy. But on that end why is punishment for having a certain story arc bad? It can lend weight and push the point of a tragic hero, which is the way I always played shep as.[/QUOTE]
It's very hard to play Shepard as a tragic hero in the classical sense. He has no tragic flaw. There is no way to play him that gives him a tragic flaw. His great fall takes all of ten minutes in a series that lasts a hundred hours plus. Taken separately from its peers, Mass Effect 2 - generally seen as the game with the weakest story - could work as a competent tragedy if you fuck everything up and lose your entire squad at the end (resulting in your own death). But as a whole, the series just... doesn't work as a tragedy.

However, you specifically asked the question, "But on that end why is punishment for having a certain story arc bad?"

The answer to this is, it isn't. The problem comes when you specifically reward characters that don't have arcs (the "paragon run" and the "renegade run") and punish those that do, as the first two games in the series did.

@blueshinra: it makes perfect sense, actually!
wellshire is the town you first visit when you first find the hole to the real world in the beginning of the game

[quote name='kainzero']@blueshinra: it makes perfect sense, actually!
wellshire is the town you first visit when you first find the hole to the real world in the beginning of the game
[/QUOTE]
I figured as much
(admittedly there was something familiar about the place when I went there today)
, but it was nowhere in my Zoom menu that entire time DX
And am I right in that the hole has been replaced by that well? That's not confusing at all!

ETA: And now I just found the Mini Medal collector's palace and it's in a place I can't believe I overlooked OTL

I must have bad karma with this game or something.

Damn Valkyire Profile Plume is really difficult. Unless you have your characters lined up in such a way. And there's few or none in-between battles for grinding.

This back to back boss battle at the end of chapter 3 is killing me. And there's no save in between? I don't need this....

[quote name='The Crotch']
It's very hard to play Shepard as a tragic hero in the classical sense. He has no tragic flaw. There is no way to play him that gives him a tragic flaw. His great fall takes all of ten minutes in a series that lasts a hundred hours plus. Taken separately from its peers, Mass Effect 2 - generally seen as the game with the weakest story - could work as a competent tragedy if you fuck everything up and lose your entire squad at the end (resulting in your own death). But as a whole, the series just... doesn't work as a tragedy.

However, you specifically asked the question, "But on that end why is punishment for having a certain story arc bad?"

The answer to this is, it isn't. The problem comes when you specifically reward characters that don't have arcs (the "paragon run" and the "renegade run") and punish those that do, as the first two games in the series did.[/QUOTE]

Point taken.

Moved on from Nocturne to Deus EX Human Revolution. Man if you combined this system and look with crackdown, I would buy that day one.

Well, beat the main story in Tales of Graces ƒ. The story is as incredibly corny/sappy/boring/predictable as you'd think all the way through to the end. Gameplay was great and the new battle system has a few challenging fights. The entire end from the last save point to the point where you save your post-game data is almost two hours without skipping any cutscenes, heh.

Time to start the future arc I guess.

[quote name='elessar123']UnchainBlades Rexx is apparently coming to the US via XSEED.[/QUOTE]

First Person Dungeon Crawler, eh? I'll probably end up grabbing it, but I wish they would release the next Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky game already.

I think I'm done with Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume. Fun game and interesting tactical choices but pretty damn hard. Especially if you're going for the "good" ending.

Will start DQ VI next.
Which only leaves, Dq V, Strange Journey and uhm. Devil survivor 2 as the :ds: RPGs I still need to play.

[quote name='eldergamer']Will start DQ VI next.
Which only leaves, Dq V, Strange Journey and uhm. Devil survivor 2 as the :ds: RPGs I still need to play.[/QUOTE]
Why are you playing the DQs out of order? Saving the best for last, maybe? ;)

[quote name='Draekon']Well, beat the main story in Tales of Graces ƒ. The story is as incredibly corny/sappy/boring/predictable as you'd think all the way through to the end. Gameplay was great and the new battle system has a few challenging fights. The entire end from the last save point to the point where you save your post-game data is almost two hours without skipping any cutscenes, heh.[/QUOTE]

I'm actually further than you now. Beat the main arc Friday.

The future arc story is a bit better, but the skits are now hilarious, and totally worth watching.

I like how the weapons you find in future arc are named after Tales games too.

[quote name='elessar123']I'm actually further than you now. Beat the main arc Friday.

The future arc story is a bit better, but the skits are now hilarious, and totally worth watching.

I like how the weapons you find in future arc are named after Tales games too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I didn't play it every time I had a chance to game in the past week. I think I'm mostly through the future arc with the way things are progressing. May end up finishing that up today if it's as short as it seems.

[quote name='blueshinra']Why are you playing the DQs out of order? Saving the best for last, maybe? ;)[/QUOTE]

Well they're each self contaiend stories, so it doesnt matter what order I play them in. And I got 6 on a cheap sale from gohastings or somewhere months ago.

I don't have V yet.

[quote name='eldergamer']Well they're each self contaiend stories, so it doesnt matter what order I play them in. And I got 6 on a cheap sale from gohastings or somewhere months ago.

I don't have V yet.[/QUOTE]
I know they're self-contained; I'm playing VI right now :p

I really do believe that DQV is the best of the Zenithia Trilogy though... maybe even the best DQ overall (although IX is a strong contender for that title, too).

[quote name='blueshinra']ETA: And now I just found the Mini Medal collector's palace and it's in a place I can't believe I overlooked OTL[/QUOTE]
well all those holes in the dreamworld are there for a reason... they aren't just replaced by wells =)

(i overlooked it too, don't worry)

[quote name='kainzero']well all those holes in the dreamworld are there for a reason... they aren't just replaced by wells =)

(i overlooked it too, don't worry)[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I was since informed of that :p

Ready to start the endgame now. I've given up on winning the final Best-Dressed Contest (not to mention the B and A ranks in the Slimopolis), so there's not much else left to do.

[quote name='blueshinra']I know they're self-contained; I'm playing VI right now :p

I really do believe that DQV is the best of the Zenithia Trilogy though... maybe even the best DQ overall (although IX is a strong contender for that title, too).[/QUOTE] my favorite was DQ8

[quote name='blueshinra']I know they're self-contained; I'm playing VI right now :p

I really do believe that DQV is the best of the Zenithia Trilogy though... maybe even the best DQ overall (although IX is a strong contender for that title, too).[/QUOTE]

Really? I haven't played VI yet, but I enjoyed V significantly more. The monster collecting in V was cool, but I felt it detracted from being able to have more interesting party members.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Really? I haven't played VI yet, but I enjoyed V significantly more. The monster collecting in V was cool, but I felt it detracted from being able to have more interesting party members.[/QUOTE]
Do you mean that you liked IV more?

As for why I prefer V (although it isn't perfect), it's primarily for the lovely, heartfelt story. The TnT minigame is also pretty awesome.

I didn't spend a whole lot of time with the monster collecting, though I had a slime knight who was a semi-regular party member. That said, the first slime I recruited in VI was a slime knight, funnily enough (slimes are recruitable in that game, but in a different way than the monsters in V).

I really do believe that DQV is the best of the Zenithia Trilogy though... maybe even the best DQ overall (although IX is a strong contender for that title, too).[/QUOTE]

I couldn't bring myself to finish IX. It just got so boring around the endgame.

The respawn rate for the alchemy items on the map was too long for me, and most of the good equipment (according to the guide) was locked away until post-game.

[quote name='elessar123']The later dungeons in Graces F are so long-winded. You think you're done and at the boss, and then there's more.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. In this game you realize you're at the final dungeon when you can transport between 3-4 different sections of it. I'm almost halfway done with the final dungeon in the future arc. fuck these status effect floors, seriously.

[quote name='Draekon']Pretty much. In this game you realize you're at the final dungeon when you can transport between 3-4 different sections of it. I'm almost halfway done with the final dungeon in the future arc. fuck these status effect floors, seriously.[/QUOTE]

That's roughly where I'm at. I did 4 of those floors so far. The worst one was slow, which won't let you dodge. I just flew back and bought charms, but even 94% resistance means affliction 80% of the time...

[quote name='eldergamer']I couldn't bring myself to finish IX. It just got so boring around the endgame.

The respawn rate for the alchemy items on the map was too long for me, and most of the good equipment (according to the guide) was locked away until post-game.[/QUOTE]
hm?
class changing was pretty broken in that game, so you can get by with subpar equipment by leveling up to 10 or so in the various classes. i don't think i did any post-game stuff until after i completed the story.

[quote name='blueshinra']I didn't spend a whole lot of time with the monster collecting, though I had a slime knight who was a semi-regular party member. That said, the first slime I recruited in VI was a slime knight, funnily enough (slimes are recruitable in that game, but in a different way than the monsters in V).[/quote]
in the original SFC version it was actually like DQ5 and you could recruit more than slimes. i didn't realize this in the DS version for a long time and i was wondering why i couldn't get a cureslime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back