RPG Thread XVI Supports Project Eternity's Kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished Penny Arcade Episode 3, short but fun. Well worth $3. Debating between really getting into Witcher 2 or getting back into Skyward Sword next...

Skyward Sword's been pretty damn good to me so far. Much better than Twilight Princess. Only real complaint I have is how it insists on re-explaining certain things to me every time I start a new session.

[quote name='panzerfaust']There are 89 RPGs better than Persona 4?

Oh IGN, you.[/QUOTE]

With this quote alone I'm not even going to look at the list. I like my blood pressure were it is. What's up with IGNs lists? I'm convinced they're just trolling us forum nerds.

Ugh: And another overly long multi-stage boss battle at the end of an RPG.

I can get through the first TWO stages of Polaris on Devil Survivor but by the time we get to the third stage my party's been reduced down to two, and most of my good demons are either drained of MP or dead.

[quote name='Rodimus']With this quote alone I'm not even going to look at the list. I like my blood pressure were it is. What's up with IGNs lists? I'm convinced they're just trolling us forum nerds.[/QUOTE]

They are just trying to get web hits on their site. Remember that IGN is apart of News Corp, news is their product and money is their business.

Once I saw Persona 4, FFIX, FFX, Chrono Cross and a few others didn't crack the top 50, I stopped reading the list. But it is IGN, and they only lists they've compiled that have any value with me is their comic lists.

[quote name='j-cart']They are just trying to get web hits on their site. Remember that IGN is apart of News Corp, news is their product and money is their business.[/QUOTE]
I give 'em hits so you don't have to!

Here's 69 - 41:
69. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
68. Kingdom Hearts II
67. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
66. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
65. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
64. Final Fantasy X
63. Skies of Arcadia
62. The World Ends with You
61. Chrono Cross
60. EVE Online
59. Phantasy Star IV
58. Freedom Force
57. Mass Effect 2
56. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
55. Monster Hunter Tri
54. Neverwinter Nights 2
53. Ultima VII: The Black Gate
52. Odin Sphere
51. Wild ARMs
50. Golden Sun
49. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (2009)
48. Tales of Destiny
47. Xenogears
46. Pool of Radiance
45. Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
44. Suikoden II
43. Valkyria Chronicles
42. Lunar: Silver Star Story
41. Xenoblade Chronicles

This latest batch, especially the 60s, is a joke. There's some really amazing RPGs in there, but it's the ranking for many of them that is rage-inducing.

At least they had the good sense to include Dragon Quest V and Paper Mario: TTYD, though it's to be seen whether or not either will be the top-ranked DQ and/or Mario RPG, respectively. I bet both DQVIII and Super Mario RPG will make appearances.

100 - 70 again (for reference):
100. Ys Book I & II (1990)
99. Lunar: Eternal Blue
98. Shadow Hearts: Covenant
97. Final Fantasy VIII
96. Phantasy Star
95. The Legend of Dragoon
94. Vagrant Story
93. Tales of Phantasia
92. Diablo III
91. Fable II
90. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
89. Fallout: New Vegas
88. Final Fantasy IX
87. Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
86. Shadowrun
85. Breath of Fire III
84. Kingdom Hearts
83. Fire Emblem
82. Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven
81. Dragon Warrior VII
80. Dungeon Master
79. Icewind Dale 2
78. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
77. Tales of Symphonia
76. Illusion of Gaia
75. Front Mission 3
74. Wizardry 8
73. Final Fantasy
72. Grandia II
71. The Bard's Tale (1985)
70. Demon's Souls

Good morning RPGT. Let's get this nonsense over with. A couple of Phantasy Stars today, the list's first pair of Pokemons (damned good ones, though), both Fallout and Fallout 2, and my predictions about DQVIII and Super Mario RPG were spot-on.

Also, both of IGN's entries for today's Elder Scrolls games didn't include their Roman numerals, so I fixed that. Not the first titles I've fixed, but those omissions seemed particularly wrong to me.

40-21
40. Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen
39. Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss
38. Phantasy Star II
37. Guild Wars
36. Shining Force II
35. Pokemon Black/White
34. Fallout
33. Ultima Online
32. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
31. Neverwinter Nights
30. Jade Empire
29. Dragon Warrior
28. Fallout 2
27. Dragon Quest VIII
26. Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
25. Deus Ex
24. Baldur's Gate
23. Phantasy Star Online
22. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
21. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

In other news, I'm digging Dark Cloud so far. It's not as good as Dark Cloud 2-- it's way clunkier for one thing-- but I like the old-school style feel of the dungeon crawling. The old and ugly 3D graphics are oddly charming, too, in a retro sort of way.

It doesn't help that I've been having problems with my PS2 Slim, though, in that games will freeze randomly. Looked it up and chances are good that it's the lid, and putting stuff on top of it while playing (like this video suggested) is helping, but not all the time.

I also have an order for Opoona at Play-Asia, but am worried about it going through. It was listed as "Usually ships within 1-5 days" when I placed the order, but the next day it was OOP/OOS. Hope it's the case that I just happened to get the last one; it was supposed to have shipped by today, though :whistle2:|

Deus Ex is only at 25?!

Morrowind is far to low on that list.

Thanks for the spoilers blueshinra, I would have thrown a bigger fit if I actually clicked through all of those.

[quote name='blueshinra']Well, there's Shining Force II beating it out ;) And Final Fantasy Tactics hasn't shown up yet, right?[/QUOTE]
As did Ogre Battle.

lolneverwinternights

EDIT: A wild Obsidian kickstarter appears.

"Project Eternity aims to recapture the magic, imagination, depth, and nostalgia of classic RPGs that we enjoyed making - and playing. At Obsidian, we have the people responsible for many of those classic games and we want to bring those games back… and that’s why we’re here - we need your help to make it a reality!"

"Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment."

The few details look pretty generic fantasy, but fuck if they don't know the good buzz-words, at least.

Double posting for great justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC4w9GdFPrg

They've got my attention.

EDIT:

"It’s not as if people stopped wanting games like Icewind Dale or Baldur’s Gate, it was more that BioWare moved on as a studio and Black Isle went away. I hear from people all the time that they run out of the newer games to play and go back and play Baldur’s Gate 2 or Torment for the fifth or sixth time."

"Our goal is to use voice over as flavor and not as something that exists for every written word in the game."

"[A] huge focus on support abilities and not just combat ones."

"The system itself (real-time with pause) works great for robust RPG systems that have a lot of moving parts and encourage the player to not just throw their characters at the enemy, but to think tactically. I always love the big battles in Baldur’s Gate 2 – the felt like puzzles that I had to crack in order to win with a minimum of casualties on my side."

"When we looked at whether to go the Icewind Dale route or the Torment / Baldur’s Gate route, we felt the latter tied much better into the focus we are going to put into the story and character development. We want the central character to be one that players will hopefully not just play through Project Eternity with, but into sequels as well. Like Torment and Baldur’s Gate, players will find companions to join their party – crafted by the incredible talents of Chris Avellone and Josh Sawyer."

I have a very confused and slightly terrified boner going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The Crotch']
I have a very confused and slightly terrified boner going on.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for that. I am having a crappy day and that made me smile.

If I stand to the side of a light source, my boner is initially terrified but ultimately pleased with itself. Like a groundhog, maybe? It's like, 6 more weeks of winter and JESUS WTF is that, is that me? I look gigantic in this light! Hey, Jim, you gotta see this, bring a camera...I look amazing!

Also, I responded to Proj.E. in the wrong thread. Looks good, will buy.

I'm currently getting my fill of Oblivion by replaying FNV will all the muthagrabbin sliders turned up. Booyah. I still have the same problems with the story that I did before, it's tall in the middle but pretty thin at the edges (beginning and end), which IMO is where it matters. My biggest problems are with the mechanics, though: I gave an Energy Weapons build an honest try (up to lvl 12), and it is shit. Ammo is nowhere to be found, even with the recycling perk I'm constantly OOA.

I restarted a new toon with Ballistics and the lvl 6 gun toter already dispatches mobs far more easily than my lvl 12 pewpewer. So that blows. Maybe addons improve the Energy Weapons build? I'm planning on getting all the DLC eventually, I'm just being cheap about it. Should've looked ahead and bought it during the Steam Sale, I was too cheap.

It's cool. I posted about Project Eternity there too, but everyone's busy talking about their figting garmes.

Energy weapons are always rare early on in a Fallout game, and I think Obsidian just... expected people to know that. Or didn't care. There's a store just outside of Vegas that specializes in energy weapons, though. At least you didn't try making a low-agility fighter in Fallout 1 or 2. Holy fucking self-inflicted difficulty.

I know all about Van Graff in Freeside.

That's what's pissing me off, given that I'd already played the game thoroughly, I set out to build an Energy Weapons chick using a bunch of shortcuts. I knew it was tough from my first time through, so I thought I was being a smarty pants this time.

Selected optimal character traits and skills. Bit of early explorin to get some nice pewpew. Companions that best complemented my pewpew.

Even after all of that, her damage output at lvl 12 is so far below my lvl 6 NRA chick, there's no contest. It makes me sad because I want pewpew, but I also want self-defense. I'm sick of automatically shaggin ass if I'm within 2.5 km of any deathstalker/cazador.

EDIT: My issue in this being I don't think energy weapons were ever intended to be an honest game mechanic. The same way the Legion isn't an honest perspective for the player to select on the whole mess in the Mojave. I enjoy this game, but dammit is in painfully unfinished in parts. They might as well have put an asterisk beside Energy Weapons in the skill menu, or inserted "Am I supposed to ever take the Legion seriously?" as a choice in all dialog menus with Legionnaires or referring to Legionnaires.

Yeah, don't get me started on Melee. I guess you really have to crank up Sneak so you have an outside shot at getting a jump on 'em and knocking their HP way down? Or do you just make the build knowing that every scenario involving multiple mobs is going to take up 15 mins to play out?

I enjoyed FNV because of the hardcore mode.

I had my first two characters die almost immediately because I forgot to drink some water :(

[quote name='j-cart']I enjoyed FNV because of the hardcore mode.

I had my first two characters die almost immediately because I forgot to drink some water :([/QUOTE]

I never let it get that far. I lug around shitloads of Purified Water. It's overkill, I know, but it's -1 END we're talking about, here. That's some serious bullshit.

[quote name='dothog']Yeah, don't get me started on Melee. I guess you really have to crank up Sneak so you have an outside shot at getting a jump on 'em and knocking their HP way down? Or do you just make the build knowing that every scenario involving multiple mobs is going to take up 15 mins to play out?[/QUOTE]
As I recall, it was a mixed grenade/melee focus, with an assload of endurance. Those throwing spears saved my ass when a certain quest decided to spawn a bunch of enemies with guns on inaccessible rooftops.

But for the most part, gun-wielding enemies weren't too big a problem. It was really shit like cazadors and deathclaws that gave me trouble.

Tales of the Abyss is pissing me off...because of all the missable stuff. Optional is good/fun, but a small window to do it and having zero in-game clues is frustrating.

Obsidion, Infinity Engine homage... my body is ready.

About Kickstarter: If I do a high level pledge, is that essentially preordering the game? Or do I still need to pay the price of the game plus the pledge?

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Tales of the Abyss is pissing me off...because of all the missable stuff. Optional is good/fun, but a small window to do it and having zero in-game clues is frustrating.[/QUOTE]

I hate this about Tales sidequests in general... It's no fun playing with a gamefaqs guide open (because the Brady guides are piss for Tales games and sidequests generally) on a laptop next to me the entire 80 hours I play the damned game.

[quote name='Zmonkay']About Kickstarter: If I do a high level pledge, is that essentially preordering the game? Or do I still need to pay the price of the game plus the pledge?[/QUOTE]

Read the pledge levels closely. The $5 does not give you the game. The $20 one is an early kickstarter pledge that is limited but gets you a digital copy. Once that runs out, $25 is the cheapest pledge that gets you the game. For a physical copy, you need to pledge at the level $65 or higher.

Seriously considering a $100.00 pledge. This concept excites me that much (if I had a non-contracting job it would excite me even more... :D )

Thanks for the clarification guys.

Wow, they're up to $750k already.

I really want the signed hardcover book, but damn, $500. Harder to pull the trigger since it's obviously going to get funded.

"I've talked with Tim about this for a while and here's the thing: camping out in the wilderness and setting watches and getting ambushed by jackasses has a great classic A/D&D feel to it, but it got pretty silly in games like IWD2. I'd like to build in reasonable mechanics that make you rest in the wilderness, but I don't want it to result in the sort of degenerate "rest after every fight" stuff we've faced in the past."

"Rest after every fight" is one of the things I fucking hate about D&D-based games, so... cool. I guess. This probably means none of that "daily spell memorization" shit, which was all kinds of terrible.

EDIT: "I will be vague right now, but comprehensive game balance and player enjoyment are extremely important to me. I want people to feel like they can make really interesting characters in their own way without being sucker-punched by "gotchas" in the game design.

I think it's important to genuinely capture the feeling of the games we're referencing back to, but that doesn't mean we should ape all of their mechanics directly.

I put it this way to Tim a few weeks ago: I want to capture the feeling an experienced A/D&D player when he or she sets out to make a character and can use interesting combinations of choices to produce something unique, but I want to avoid the feeling a n00blord gets when he or she gets 10 hours into the game and realizes he or she has made a hopelessly "bad" character because the characters have stocked up on ten Skill Focus: Lockpicking feats."

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Tales of the Abyss is pissing me off...because of all the missable stuff. Optional is good/fun, but a small window to do it and having zero in-game clues is frustrating.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Zmonkay']I hate this about Tales sidequests in general... It's no fun playing with a gamefaqs guide open (because the Brady guides are piss for Tales games and sidequests generally) on a laptop next to me the entire 80 hours I play the damned game.[/QUOTE]

I'll be honest I've played through the games and I usually only break out a guide for the end and just figure out what I can still do, if I can't do it, well then whatever. I'm not a completionist though, so not getting everything and killing every single side boss doesn't bother me in the slightest, at this point in my life just finishing a rather long RPG is a rather big accomplishment. That's basically what I did for Tales of the Abyss and mostly only playing that game on my commute I think it took me something like 3 months to finish, haha, but I didn't feel bad at all when I looked at a guide when I thought I was nearing the end of the game and discovered I was going to miss out on some super OP weapon and a few other side things that would totally break the balance of the game or were just minor things like costumes, especially because the final boss in Abyss wasn't really all that hard (i.e. I didn't die once) without need of something that would make it stupid easy.

Less than 24 hours in, they are $100,000 short of their goal ($1.1 million).

Also, GOG has a nice deal on assorted D&D-based RPGs right now. 30% off if you get get one of the games from the list (like, say, Planescape Torment), and up to 65% off if you get all of them (there are nine games).

My husband threw his $25 in this weekend. Planescape: Torment is one of his most favorite games ever, so I wasn't surprised :p

The IGN list is done. 20 - 1:
20. EverQuest
19. System Shock 2
18. Dark Souls
17. EarthBound
16. Diablo
15. Secret of Mana
14. Final Fantasy Tactics
13. Planescape: Torment
12. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
11. Final Fantasy VII
10. Fallout 3
9. Mass Effect
8. World of WarCraft
7. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
6. Diablo II
5. Final Fantasy IV
4. Pokemon Red/Blue
3. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
2. Chrono Trigger
1. Final Fantasy VI

Trufax: after typing in the #2 spot, I filled in #1 without looking at it first. I was right. I mean, c'mon, there was no way that that game would be left off this list, and its being #1 wouldn't have been a big surprise. I would've preferred #2 in the #1 spot, tho' :p

Also, IGN remembered the Roman numeral for today's Elder Scrolls entry.

I hereby approve of your choice of husband, shinra. I'm still deciding how much money I want to give.

The original Diablo at 16? Skyrim at 7? KotOR at 12? Haha. I love this.

[quote name='blueshinra']The IGN list is done. 20 - 1:
20. EverQuest
19. System Shock 2
18. Dark Souls
17. EarthBound
16. Diablo
15. Secret of Mana
14. Final Fantasy Tactics
13. Planescape: Torment
12. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
11. Final Fantasy VII
10. Fallout 3
9. Mass Effect
8. World of WarCraft
7. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
6. Diablo II
5. Final Fantasy IV
4. Pokemon Red/Blue
3. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
2. Chrono Trigger
1. Final Fantasy VI
[/QUOTE]
I can understand their top 20, at least. Explains why so many of my favorites were so low :cold:

Put in my money for Project Eternity as soon as I heard about it. Hopefully now Obsidian can finally get a project done without running out of time and money!

Hmm...

I love System Shock 2, but Deus Ex Should have been in the top ten.

Dark Souls certainly deserves its praise, more so than FO3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back