SAACHU ANDO DESUTOROI!! Anime & Manga Thread Lives Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='headpiece747']I just watched Witchblade with a mix reaction. I love the animation and fight scenes but the story wasn't there for me. Just wondering if it picks up in later episodes. I have only watched the first episode because it was a free download on the Xbox 360. Wondering if I should bother downloading the rest.[/quote]

I have only seen small portions of Witchblade, but I do agree the animation looks really nice.

I've started watching some of my DVDs from the ADV sale. Started with Colorful which I would give a B. Nothing spectacular other than the fact it rivals Najica Blitz Tactics and Agent Aika in panty shots. It had some laugh out loud moments though.

I'm on the second disc of Nanaka 6/17 and it seems to be one of the better blind buys I have ever made. I really enjoy the whole "fish out of water" type of characters and story.

I'll probably start on another DVD tonight after Nanaka. Most likely something short like Kekko Kamen.

[quote name='headpiece747']I just watched Witchblade with a mix reaction. I love the animation and fight scenes but the story wasn't there for me. Just wondering if it picks up in later episodes. I have only watched the first episode because it was a free download on the Xbox 360. Wondering if I should bother downloading the rest.[/QUOTE]
Witchblade is awesome. I'm up to the 4th DVD. The first episode doesn't do it justice since they make it seem like it'll be a monster of the week type affair. It's not. It's about the relationship between a mother and daughter, and what one of them will sacrifice just so they can stay together.

Also you should BUY the rest (if you meant downloading from the marketplace, I apologize).

[quote name='Kendal']I just got the 2nd Gig of Ghost in the Shell SAC and the latest movie. I assume that I watch it following the second season?[/QUOTE]

The GitS movies and series are unrelated.

[quote name='Liquid 2']The GitS movies and series are unrelated.[/QUOTE]

If by latest movie, he means Solid State Society, though, that does definitely need to be watched after the second season.

[quote name='Chacrana']If by latest movie, he means Solid State Society, though, that does definitely need to be watched after the second season.[/QUOTE]

SSS is an OVA though, not a movie.

[quote name='Liquid 2']SSS is an OVA though, not a movie.[/QUOTE]
Semantics. But if you'd *really* like to mince words, it aired on Japanese satellite TV before coming out on DVD, so that makes it more of a movie than an OVA. An OVA implies direct-to-video.

Man, I was going hold off on more Rightstuf purchases after my ADV splurging, but all this talk about GiTS (and the fact today is the last day of the sale) is making me want to place an order.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Semantics. But if you'd *really* like to mince words, it aired on Japanese satellite TV before coming out on DVD, so that makes it more of a movie than an OVA. An OVA implies direct-to-video.[/QUOTE]
I s'pose.

Unrelated: would any one be interested in buying Bleach volumes 1-9 from me? They're practically brand new.

I went ahead and placed another order with Rightstuf last night. I got...

GiTS season 1
GiTS season 2
GiTS Solid State Society
Noein boxset
Tokko boxset

Has anyone been watching the Persona: Trinity Soul anime? Just wondering... I've watched up to episode 7 and I think it's pretty good so far... Started off rather slow though.

Do anime soundtracks usually get released with the first volume of a series, or after it ends? I'm really hoping a soundtrack for BECK gets released here, with the new dubbed versions of the songs. Any chance of that happening?

[quote name='darkcrawlspace']Do anime soundtracks usually get released with the first volume of a series, or after it ends? I'm really hoping a soundtrack for BECK gets released here, with the new dubbed versions of the songs. Any chance of that happening?[/quote]

I see them a lot with first volumes. I got one with Ergo Proxy, Haruhi, Last Exile and a few others, but I guess it just depends.

Speaking of anime soundtracks, which ones do any of you own? I don't have many, but I have North American released soundtracks for...

Ai Yori Aoshi
Ergo Proxy
Last Exile
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
Please Teacher
Samurai Champloo
Samurai Girl: Real Bout High School
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (all the ones that came in the LEs)

I think that is it.

Greetings!

Thank you for being among the first 1,000 fantastic fans to pre-order the
Emma: A Victorian Romance Season 1 DVD Collection from RightStuf.com.

As a special thank you, you will be recognized by name in the DVD credits for
the season 1 box set. (And have a chance to tell us how you would like your
name to be presented!)
Yay!

[quote name='Liquid 2']Blind buys are insane.

I suppose I'll go check it out real quick and let you know.[/QUOTE]
I pretty much blind buy everything. Thing is I'm not sure it can be called a blind buy when I make sure to read up on a show, and get impressions from multiple people. And I have to say, I have a pretty good track record. I can only think of a couple shows I've purchased that I just plain didn't like.

i hope they release a Beck soundtrack wiht the dubbed voices, that would be awesome

are there any good torrent sites for anime? i usually had no trouble finding stuff on regular sites but i can't a few lesser popular series.

[quote name='tehweezner']i hope they release a Beck soundtrack wiht the dubbed voices, that would be awesome

are there any good torrent sites for anime? i usually had no trouble finding stuff on regular sites but i can't a few lesser popular series.[/QUOTE]

IRC will probably have them.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I pretty much blind buy everything. Thing is I'm not sure it can be called a blind buy when I make sure to read up on a show, and get impressions from multiple people. And I have to say, I have a pretty good track record. I can only think of a couple shows I've purchased that I just plain didn't like.[/quote]

Likewise for me. A few I have bought due to a US airing (Big O, Original Dirty Pair, Ruroni Kenshin, R.O.D. OVA, Samurai Champloo and others), but a large number I have bought simply by reading previews and liking the premise. During the ADV and Geneon sales over the last year, that is really the only way I could do it since sellouts happened fast.

Others I bought at Bestbuy or Big Lots simply because they were cheap (Galaxy Angel Complete Collection, Green Green, Grenadier, Stratos 4, Overman King Gainer, eX-Driver).

Then there are those I bought by word of mouth on CAG or elsewhere (Tsukikage Ran, Here is Greenwood, Jubei-Chan, Azumanga Daioh.

The only shows I have (that I watched) that I just didn't like were Assemble Insert and Plastic Little. They both just bored the hell out of me.

I'd say the best blind buys I have made are Miami Guns (which is one of the funniest shows I have seen) and Here is Greenwood.

[quote name='Liquid 2']I heard about the Emma manga way back when with #Lurk's first and last magazine issue; is it any good?[/QUOTE]
Yes, Emma's great. You're in for a treat.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Yes, Emma's great. You're in for a treat.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear.

For those who are interested, Anime Music Videos is having voting for its finalists right now. You can directly DL all the finalists' videos in one 2 gb zip file from the website. Last day for voting is the 24th.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Good to hear.

For those who are interested, Anime Music Videos is having voting for its finalists right now. You can directly DL all the finalists' videos in one 2 gb zip file from the website. Last day for voting is the 24th.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up! I love AMVs.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Thanks for the heads up! I love AMVs.[/QUOTE]

I love 'em too, but it's tough to find quality ones. Of the finalists that I've watched so far, the truly outstanding ones are "Allegretto," by Ileia, and "AMV Technique Beat," by Douggie.

Speaking of AMV's, how do you all feel when there are subtitles showing? I've been wanting to do a Saikano AMV (i've got the perfect song picked out); I just find that the subtitles take away from the lyrics of the song; but i cant find any raws for Saikano. I've got the dvds, maybe now that ive got a nice quad core comp; ill find some decent software to do movie making on.

Wow, 2.16 Gb of AMVs...

I'm gonna download it but I don't know if I'll have the time to watch all of them before the deadline. Just from skimming through that list I would recommend Magic Pad by Nostromo_vx to anyone that hasn't seen it yet. I usually check that site once a month and download whatever music videos are at the top of the top 10% videos list. That one is the best I've seen since the skittles AMV by koop.

I came up with my personal top 20 manga list... ^_^

1) 20th Century Boys
2) Hokuto No Ken
3) Hajime No Ippo
4) Dragonball
5) Death Note
6) Monster
7) Rurouni Kenshin
8) Grappler Baki
9) Vagabond
10) Suzuka
11) Berserk
12) Claymore
13) Garouden
14) Naruto
15) One Piece
16) Prince of Tennis
17) Slam Dunk
18) Bleach
19) Worst
20) Genshiken

I read TOO much manga, I could have easily done a top 50 list >_

[quote name='MarkMan']I came up with my personal top 20 manga list... ^_^

1) 20th Century Boys
2) Hokuto No Ken
3) Hajime No Ippo
4) Dragonball
5) Death Note
6) Monster
7) Rurouni Kenshin
8) Grappler Baki
9) Vagabond
10) Suzuka
11) Berserk
12) Claymore
13) Garouden
14) Naruto
15) One Piece
16) Prince of Tennis
17) Slam Dunk
18) Bleach
19) Worst
20) Genshiken

Hey guys and gals, Rightstuf has a Bandai sale and the Anime Legends boxset of Cowboy Bebop Remix is $29.99 ($27 with Got Anime membership).

Great deal, and now no reason not to own it.

1) 20th Century Boys
2) Hokuto No Ken
3) Hajime No Ippo
4) Dragonball
5) Death Note
6) Monster
7) Rurouni Kenshin
8) Grappler Baki
9) Vagabond
10) Suzuka
11) Berserk
12) Claymore
13) Garouden
14) Naruto
15) One Piece
16) Prince of Tennis
17) Slam Dunk
18) Bleach
19) Worst
20) Genshiken

1) 20th Century Boys
2) Hokuto No Ken
3) Hajime No Ippo
4) Dragonball
5) Death Note
6) Monster
7) Rurouni Kenshin
8) Grappler Baki
9) Vagabond
10) Suzuka
11) Berserk
12) Claymore
13) Garouden
14) Naruto
15) One Piece
16) Prince of Tennis
17) Slam Dunk
18) Bleach
19) Worst
20) Genshiken

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Anyone else not able to download the file from AMV? I am logged in and everything but it won't download at all.[/QUOTE]

I didn't have any problems downloading the file. But I can't seem to extract it, because the file is supposedly corrupted. I've downloaded it twice, and had the same problem both times.

[quote name='tehweezner']i hope they release a Beck soundtrack wiht the dubbed voices, that would be awesome[/QUOTE]

I was actually so desperate for any possible news regarding this, that I sent an email to Funimation regarding it.

This is the reply I got from a "Public Relations Coordinator" from Funimation:

I am happy to hear you are a fan of Beck. At this time FUNimation does not have any plans to release a soundtrack for BECK.

I was expecting a reply that said they couldn't disclose that kind of information, so I was really surprised I got an honest answer.

So it seems highly unlikely that they'll be releasing a soundtrack for BECK, which is really a shame. They did such an amazing job with the songs, and it just seemed to make almost too much sense for them to release a soundtrack.

I've been watching Mushishi. I just finished disc 2 and i'm just wondering if there is any on-going storyline somewhere in this series, or is it just a "Demon (Mushi) of the Week" show?

I've read parts of the Death Note and Naruto mangas and I'm currently working my way through the Genshiken and Black Lagoon mangas. Although that's just a drop in the bucket compared to how many you guys have apparently read.

I didn't have any problems downloading or extracting the AMV zip file. Maybe they reuploaded a better version yesterday when I got it? What I'll like to know is why they have a 2 GB download from their servers rather then through bittorrent when they have nag screens everywhere asking for donations to pay for bandwidth. I mean, they must have heard of bittorrent by now, right?

PS That news about no English Beck soundtrack makes me a sad panda. :(

PSS Speaking of Genshiken, here's some wallpapers for anyone interested. These are all the group shots I have. I have 3 others with the redhead if anyone wants me to upload them (what can I say, I have a thing for redheads).

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']I'm currently reading NaruTaru and will probably finish up today.

Wow. Go get it if you haven't.[/QUOTE]
It's certainly intense - but *do not* ever buy the anime version, under any circumstances.

Sorry that I'm not into Nauzzzzzzzzzzzzzica... ;P

I forgot about some others that were mentioned, I need to edit my list again!

What shows are everyone watching from the current anime season?

Aside from the usuals that are on, I'm also watching Persona: Trinity Soul, Jushin Enbu, Rosario + Vampire, and Gundam 00, not much else aside from those...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back