Searching For A Job - Rant/Rave/Discuss Here

[quote name='giantqtipz']hey were you wishing me?

because my phone interview was hell and i dont think i did well at all. i applied for a specific position, and i was asked, what kind of role are you looking for?

durrr the one that im interviewing for right now? derp?

so i just had to bullshit and i hate bullshitting and exaggerating. I was also asked, what I like and dislike about one of my past experiences.

This isn't even entry level and the last time I was asked that question was for an internship 2 years ago. So I too had to bullshit my answer on that one.

Seriously, I don't feel bad about myself. I just hate the interviewer (who was the hiring manager, not HR) for asking questions that HR* are supposed to ask! Really wanna smack that guy in the head.

Give me a technical question please, or some case studies, or some scenarios. not this fit behavioral crap.

edit: when the hiring manager emailed me to inform me that he wasnt moving forward with my application. i was tempted to respond with telling him to consider changing careers to HR. considering the types of questions he asked and how unprepared he was, hes better off as HR[/QUOTE]

wow dude, you have a really shitty attitude. As someone who is going through the hiring process myself, I wouldn't hire you either.

Here's why he asked those questions.

1. What role are you looking for? I know what role you're applying for. I am asking this question because I want to find out whether you slip up and tell me what role you're actually looking for. They are not always the same. I want someone who wants this job, not someone who wants a job.

2. What do you like and dislike about your past experiences? I expect that HR has done their job and provided me with people that have a technical fit. I'll ask you a few questions to make sure you're not completely bullshitting about your experience and qualifications. But mostly, I just want to make sure you fit in right with me and the team. I want to see if you get really excited about something. I want to see if you slag off past coworkers and bosses.

He's not a bad interviewer, you're a crappy interviewee with a crappy attitude.

guys, here's the biggest advice I can give you: relax but be excitable. smile a lot. listen to the hiring manager and try to really answer his questions, not what you want to get out. (It's like a date!)

If you got through resume screening, it means he thinks you might have the technical chops to do the job. The goal now is to convince him you do but also convince him you'd be easy and fun to work with. Unless you're a super genius and so good at programming or something that you can be a grouchy asshole and get away with it, no one wants to work with a jackass.

I've had terribephone and face to face interviews. I'm glad. It better prepares me for the next one. Every interaction is going to be different.

[quote name='JStryke'], started decent, but the demands have gotten more outrageous as time goes by. Maybe it varies by store, but the store I'm at now I've been averaging 10-15 hours for the past month and a half and the store as a whole is understaffed. Feels like Target is a glorified Wal-Mart at this point in time.[/QUOTE]

As a customer, I can totally feel it too. They have gone way downhill.

[quote name='confoosious']wow dude, you have a really shitty attitude. As someone who is going through the hiring process myself, I wouldn't hire you either.

Here's why he asked those questions.

1. What role are you looking for? I know what role you're applying for. I am asking this question because I want to find out whether you slip up and tell me what role you're actually looking for. They are not always the same. I want someone who wants this job, not someone who wants a job.

2. What do you like and dislike about your past experiences? I expect that HR has done their job and provided me with people that have a technical fit. I'll ask you a few questions to make sure you're not completely bullshitting about your experience and qualifications. But mostly, I just want to make sure you fit in right with me and the team. I want to see if you get really excited about something. I want to see if you slag off past coworkers and bosses.

He's not a bad interviewer, you're a crappy interviewee with a crappy attitude.

guys, here's the biggest advice I can give you: relax but be excitable. smile a lot. listen to the hiring manager and try to really answer his questions, not what you want to get out. (It's like a date!)

If you got through resume screening, it means he thinks you might have the technical chops to do the job. The goal now is to convince him you do but also convince him you'd be easy and fun to work with. Unless you're a super genius and so good at programming or something that you can be a grouchy asshole and get away with it, no one wants to work with a jackass.[/QUOTE]

I totally expected someone to respond this way.

[quote name='giantqtipz']I totally expected someone to respond this way.[/QUOTE]

I just don't understand how the question "what did you like or dislike about your past experiences" is a bad question. We're not talking "where do you see yourself in 5 years." If you don't think "fit behavior" is one of the most important things about hiring, good luck with that.

I'm going to have to go with the "truth is in the middle" trope here.

Yeah, we all know that these are bullshit questions, but by the time you're sitting down in front of someone, it's already been established that you have the qualifications and the interview is really just a personality test. I mean who wants to work with an asshole on their team, right? Not me.

edit: The strangest question I've ever been asked was "do you feel lucky?" I was like wtf?

[quote name='JStryke']For a while, it was a decent place to work, although I think it started to go downhill shortly after I started there. I've worked in two different Targets, and the first one back in 2010 was good as my hours stayed consistent. The second one where I'm at now, started decent, but the demands have gotten more outrageous as time goes by. Maybe it varies by store, but the store I'm at now I've been averaging 10-15 hours for the past month and a half and the store as a whole is understaffed. Feels like Target is a glorified Wal-Mart at this point in time.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this.

I mentioned it earlier, but I've been with Target for nine years this coming April and it seems like my hours decreased with every year (bordering 30 now). Plus they demoted me to the position I first started with and brought in some new guy that's never been there before to replace my previous position. The longer you're there, the more it's like they try and phase you out with "fresh meat". And soon the place is going to be sandwiched between two Walmarts so that should be fun :roll:.

Since my last post, I mentioned that I had 6 credits left until I got my Associates degree. I went through and it is more like 5-6 classes left. The thing is the college is now a four year college so I don't know how that works out.

One last thing: The vendors who've visited my Target (i.e. Sony, Mattel, Pepsi, etc.) are great people. I wish my fellow team members were driven and nice at the same level, if not more, that they are.

[quote name='dohdough']

edit: The strangest question I've ever been asked was "do you feel lucky?" I was like wtf?[/QUOTE]

were you getting hit on? :shock:

The company that I have been working on contract for the past few months wants to bring me on board as permanent. I also received a call last week from a recruiter who wants me to interview with a competing company. This one is straight to perm and they like my resume so much they want me to interview in 2 days notice.

Is it smart for me to try and get these two involved in a bidding war? I did feel a little worried that the company I am contracting for right now may try to low-ball me by luring me with a perm role but now I feel like I have the upper hand. Both positions are for similar work to what I am doing right now and both are major financial services companies.

[quote name='Kendro']The company that I have been working on contract for the past few months wants to bring me on board as permanent. I also received a call last week from a recruiter who wants me to interview with a competing company. This one is straight to perm and they like my resume so much they want me to interview in 2 days notice.

Is it smart for me to try and get these two involved in a bidding war? I did feel a little worried that the company I am contracting for right now may try to low-ball me by luring me with a perm role but now I feel like I have the upper hand. Both positions are for similar work to what I am doing right now and both are major financial services companies.[/QUOTE]

They wouldn't be in a bidding war against each other. You see what they offer. Accept the better offer and tell the other place that you have been offered a better package elsewhere. If they want you bad enough they will counteroffer. If not you have the other job. Very unprofessional to have 2 companies try to compete for you openly. May lose out since it shows you are more interested in money than the position with that particular company. Most places would retract their offer if they saw you doing this.

[quote name='confoosious']were you getting hit on? :shock:[/QUOTE]
HAHAHA...no. It's a personality test-type question to see how easy you are to work with. If you say "yes," then it's supposed to mean that you'll be easy to work with. "No" means that you're hard to work with and feel entitled. I answered "yes" and my gf googled it when I told her.

Personally, I think it's bullshit, but whatevs.

As someone who has been conducting interviews at my company on a consistent basis (roughly 4-5 interviews per week for the past two months), PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD make your resumé fit on one page. Unless you have been working consistently for 15+ years in the same industry and expect to make $250k per year, you do not have enough experience to have a two page resumé (there are exceptions, in those cases your resumé may very well be a portfolio).

Few tips for those going through interviews:

-Be confident in your responses (you got the interview, which means they like what they see on your resumé)
-Always answer the question first, add to it if you want, but never more than a few sentences
-RESEARCH the company you are applying for! Looks very poorly on your behalf if you have no idea what the position the interview is for
-Maintain eye contact, ALWAYS maintain eye contact. Play a little game and try to make the other person loose eye contact first.
-ASK QUESTIONS, I will answer them. Asking questions shows interest beyond just the "job"
-Put your cell phone away/turn that shit off. I am taking my time to see if I want to pay you, respect my time.
-Dress accordingly. No need for a tie, but a little effort shows you at least care.

I am sure you guys have all read and seen plenty of tips. I just can't believe with all this access to information through the internet that people are still lost. Do some research, read some self-improving books once in awhile, create discipline, it will help and it will show.

A little tip for those that get the job:

We know your first day is going to be rough, which is usually why we throw you in the shark tank. We want to see if you can tread water, the expectation is to see you drown. Friend everyone and TELL THEM it is your first day, people are generally nice and they will help you if they can. The managers/supervisors know what their work environment looks like and all they ask is to see you try on your first day, because first impressions go a long way.

For those that are in school (college/university), use your career counselors. My pit fall was that I didn't use them as much as I should have. I was super fortunate to know a very good friend who ended becoming a career counselor at a major university. They have all the tools and knowledge to help you, use them because the reason most take that job is because they are actually very nice people and love to help others!

For everything I learned in school, I think a full semester is required to learn about the resume building/interviewing/hiring process. This isn't easy stuff, everyone needs practice in this process.

And if you aren't in school, go to your local community college, they have career counselors there who can help aswell. They might not have the exact answers for you, but they will help you find where to get those answers.

Just kind of wish someone yelled this information at me 5 years ago lol.

[quote name='j-cart']-Put your cell phone away/turn that shit off. I am taking my time to see if I want to pay you, respect my time.[/QUOTE]

People actually do this? If I was interviewing, and they checked their Facebook or something, I'd toss the resume. Probably in front of them.

I have the opportunity to apply to do interviews, but I'm undecided if I want to pursue it.

[quote name='j-cart']For those that are in school (college/university), use your career counselors. My pit fall was that I didn't use them as much as I should have. I was super fortunate to know a very good friend who ended becoming a career counselor at a major university. They have all the tools and knowledge to help you, use them because the reason most take that job is because they are actually very nice people and love to help others!

For everything I learned in school, I think a full semester is required to learn about the resume building/interviewing/hiring process. This isn't easy stuff, everyone needs practice in this process.
[/QUOTE]

They required anyone who interviewed on campus at my college to pass a mock interview so that they could prove that you were at least competent at an interview and wouldn't embarrass the school. Was definitely a good idea. There were also optional classes you could take on interviewing/resume building, but they weren't required. Maybe they should have been.

[quote name='elessar123']People actually do this? If I was interviewing, and they checked their Facebook or something, I'd toss the resume. Probably in front of them.
[/QUOTE]

You'd be surprised. I can tell when you go to your phone to stop it from vibrating, do yourself a favor and turn it off so that you don't get into nervous mode because your phone went off.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']They required anyone who interviewed on campus at my college to pass a mock interview so that they could prove that you were at least competent at an interview and wouldn't embarrass the school. Was definitely a good idea. There were also optional classes you could take on interviewing/resume building, but they weren't required. Maybe they should have been.[/QUOTE]

That is awesome that they required that from you. Now that I think about, I think the purpose of not making it a required class is to make it so that people who do have that drive will seek out help. Those that went to school and expected a job afterwards will be a loss because they have no passion for their craft, their drive was not for self improvement, but for selfish greed.

[quote name='j-cart']

A little tip for those that get the job:

We know your first day is going to be rough, which is usually why we throw you in the shark tank. We want to see if you can tread water, the expectation is to see you drown. .[/QUOTE]

Where the hell do you work? I absolutely expect the opposite. The first day is cake. I want newbies to take it easy and learn as much as possible their first day. Not do stuff.

I've never been part of a company that puts new hires through the fire on the first day. Me or anyone else.

[quote name='j-cart']As someone who has been conducting interviews at my company on a consistent basis (roughly 4-5 interviews per week for the past two months), PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD make your resumé fit on one page. Unless you have been working consistently for 15+ years in the same industry and expect to make $250k per year, you do not have enough experience to have a two page resumé (there are exceptions, in those cases your resumé may very well be a portfolio).

Few tips for those going through interviews:

-Be confident in your responses (you got the interview, which means they like what they see on your resumé)
-Always answer the question first, add to it if you want, but never more than a few sentences
-RESEARCH the company you are applying for! Looks very poorly on your behalf if you have no idea what the position the interview is for
-Maintain eye contact, ALWAYS maintain eye contact. Play a little game and try to make the other person loose eye contact first.
-ASK QUESTIONS, I will answer them. Asking questions shows interest beyond just the "job"
-Put your cell phone away/turn that shit off. I am taking my time to see if I want to pay you, respect my time.
-Dress accordingly. No need for a tie, but a little effort shows you at least care.

I am sure you guys have all read and seen plenty of tips. I just can't believe with all this access to information through the internet that people are still lost. Do some research, read some self-improving books once in awhile, create discipline, it will help and it will show.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this. I'm a junior in college and have my first interview ever in two weeks (for an internship position) If anyone has any other advice I would appreciate it:)

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']Thanks for this. I'm a junior in college and have my first interview ever in two weeks (for an internship position) If anyone has any other advice I would appreciate it:)[/QUOTE]

Unless you have a weak bladder: big ass can of red bull before the interview.

[quote name='j-cart']PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD make your resumé fit on one page. Unless you have been working consistently for 15+ years in the same industry and expect to make $250k per year, you do not have enough experience to have a two page resumé (there are exceptions, in those cases your resumé may very well be a portfolio).[/QUOTE]

Incidentally, this is not what recruiters have been telling me lately.

If you have the skills, show them off.

[quote name='confoosious']Where the hell do you work? I absolutely expect the opposite. The first day is cake. I want newbies to take it easy and learn as much as possible their first day. Not do stuff.

I've never been part of a company that puts new hires through the fire on the first day. Me or anyone else.[/QUOTE]

Don't make me spill all my secrets, but if it was me that has a new hire, the job would already been done (not going to make myself look bad :p ), but they just don't know it. I just want to see if you can do it. I also want to see if you can one up our process and do it better. Then we have cake :p

I am devious, I run experiments on my subjects, I mean minions, erh I mean workers :D

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']Thanks for this. I'm a junior in college and have my first interview ever in two weeks (for an internship position) If anyone has any other advice I would appreciate it:)[/QUOTE]

Make sure you get paid/college credit/stipend from your internship. Non-paid/no-credited internships are just companies trying to task shitty work to someone they don't have to pay. Granted there are exceptions, but if you have a paid internship before graduating, then your initial starting salary will reflect that. My brother was extremely smart in this aspect and even though my status is higher than his, he gets paid more than I do.

Also for you college people, run/apply for student body. Not only do you get stipends from your school, they may also help in housing costs. Plus the experience that you get from student body is second to none, sometimes even better than having job experience. Not to mention the other perks of meeting/dealing/.connecting with people everyday. Also you get your own/shared office (depending on your position). The last bit too, is that usually you are only going against one or two people for the position, those odds are in your favor.

[quote name='yourlefthand']Incidentally, this is not what recruiters have been telling me lately.

If you have the skills, show them off.[/QUOTE]

There are exceptions and that is industry to industry. A long time friend of mine is a photographer, he has to cite everything he has ever done, to show that he is consistent with work, despite work being two days on a weekend shoot most of the time. Then there is also the whole portfolio thing. There are exceptions, just be aware of that.

Careful with using recruiters, you are their commodity. They make a living selling you and others to their clients. Not saying don't have one, I am saying don't rely only on them for job opportunities.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Malik112099']My resume is 2 pages. Just no possible way for it all to fit on one page. Everyone seems ok with it.[/QUOTE]

Eh this is really a semantics argument, but generally if you have less than five years of work experience and your resume is two pages, then you might just have a lot of fluff there.

Not saying your resume is all fluff, just saying what I am use to seeing on a resume. Some people like more, some people like less. I am from the less is more school of thought, but that doesn't mean I always have it right.

Put me in the "no two page resumes" crowd. Unless you're higher level, it's obnoxious and unnecessary. I won't ever get to that second page.

[quote name='j-cart']Eh this is really a semantics argument, but generally if you have less than five years of work experience and your resume is two pages, then you might just have a lot of fluff there.

Not saying your resume is all fluff, just saying what I am use to seeing on a resume. Some people like more, some people like less. I am from the less is more school of thought, but that doesn't mean I always have it right.[/QUOTE]

This is what I believe the prevailing opinion usually is. Every career counselor/experienced professional person/articles I've read about recruiters have all said the same thing. I was initially on the opposite end of the spectrum and had difficulty making my resume be a full page when I first got out of college.

Having had a couple of post-college jobs now, it's definitely become easier to fill the page with more relevant work related items. Unfortunately, both of the jobs I've worked in don't have what I believe to be any real relevant transferable skills (which is highly problematic and really bothers me) for the types of jobs them I want, so I've had to do my best to make them not seem like worthless endeavors and put as much of a positive spin on them as I can.

This is pretty depressing. I've had three phone interviews over the past two months and never heard back from anyone. I felt I did pretty good in all of them and was polite. I'm starting to doubt I will get anything this summer. If I can't even get a summer internship, how the hell am I supposed to get a full time job when I graduate next summer (hopefully)?

I recommend doing things many others do not.

Make a professional presence online with an about.me page and a LinkedIn profile (you would be surprised how many do not)

[quote name='wwe101']This is pretty depressing. I've had three phone interviews over the past two months and never heard back from anyone. I felt I did pretty good in all of them and was polite. I'm starting to doubt I will get anything this summer. If I can't even get a summer internship, how the hell am I supposed to get a full time job when I graduate next summer (hopefully)?[/QUOTE]

RUN/APPLY FOR STUDENT BODY! Seriously, having a position in your school's student body can provide much better experience than most internships. Even if you are not successful in getting a position, the people you will meet along the way are going to be top notch people. Having connections is half the battle.

Also you your career consular, they love to help people!

[quote name='j-cart']We want to see if you can tread water, the expectation is to see you drown. [/QUOTE]

A similar experience happened to me 6 years into my current job. A former boss told me "I'd rather see you fail". This was before I requested a one week vacation to go visit my dad's grave. When I came back, I was pulled into doing so many people's work that I couldn't get my stuff done (and of course I was yelled at for it).

Fast forward to January where I put in for one day off to take my mother to the hospital. I was "rewarded" with a 10 day consecutive work schedule.

Getting punished for taking time off. It was actually documented in a 20/20 documentary called "Workplace Confidential":

http://abc.go.com/watch/2020/SH559026/VDKA0_qopq2ra8/2020-1109-workplace-confidential

That episode also revealed some tactics people use to prevent people from being hired.

Got an email from a recruiter wondering if I was interested in a 6-12+ month contract position where I used to work for significantly more money than I was making before. I of course said yes. Hopefully I will hear back within the next week.

My college required a class for interviewing/resume building.

From what I was told (this was 10 years ago) a resume should be no more than one page and the person reading it should be able to tell if you meet the requirements for the position within 20-30 seconds of receiving it. Any more than one page is more than likely not going to be read by someone swamped with resumes. A second page may be included for references only.

If you have a portfolio to bring to the interview bring a spare copy to leave with the interviewer. One thing I included with my portfolio that many people do not was a few examples of writing (fake scenarios). It can help show that you are effective at communicating if it is necessary for the position.

Also, send a thank you letter a few days after your first interview. I wouldn't send it via e-mail, it's too impersonal and would more than likely get deleted as spam considering the volume of email most people receive these days.

[quote name='Invicta 61']My college required a class for interviewing/resume building.

From what I was told (this was 10 years ago) a resume should be no more than one page and the person reading it should be able to tell if you meet the requirements for the position within 20-30 seconds of receiving it. Any more than one page is more than likely not going to be read by someone swamped with resumes. A second page may be included for references only.

If you have a portfolio to bring to the interview bring a spare copy to leave with the interviewer. One thing I included with my portfolio that many people do not was a few examples of writing (fake scenarios). It can help show that you are effective at communicating if it is necessary for the position.

Also, send a thank you letter a few days after your first interview. I wouldn't send it via e-mail, it's too impersonal and would more than likely get deleted as spam considering the volume of email most people receive these days.[/QUOTE]

The whole point is that this is largely subjective. If you need two pages to show your experience I think it's probably ok as most of your competition will most likely have more than one page as well. Coming out if college there is no need for more than one page unless unless you have a lot of internship experience.

Leave references off your résumé. They'll ask for them when they want them.

I think it depends on the position you are applying for as well. Most of the positions I'm applying for I wouldn't think they would be ok with hiring someone with only one page worth of education and experience. I've talked to people who prefer 1 page and others who would take 4 if you could fill it up.

Definitely leave any extras (like references or work examples) off of a resume. Save those until asked for or for a portfolio.

Got another email from a different recruiter. Job looks good but it requires 50% travel. Might be ok with that tho.

[quote name='dohdough']I'm going to have to go with the "truth is in the middle" trope here.

Yeah, we all know that these are bullshit questions, but by the time you're sitting down in front of someone, it's already been established that you have the qualifications and the interview is really just a personality test. I mean who wants to work with an asshole on their team, right? Not me.

edit: The strangest question I've ever been asked was "do you feel lucky?" I was like wtf?[/QUOTE]
Was it an older gentleman, squinty eyes, tight lipped? Went by the name of Harry?

But I do kind of disagree with the idea that getting an interview means they think you're qualified. You'd assume that to be true, but sometimes it seems like they're just interviewing everyone who applied. I've had a few interviews they seemed to go really well, got along great with the person interviewing me, but nothing comes of it. It's about to the point that I'm ready to start being an asshole, because it seems like they're the ones getting the jobs.

[quote name='Invicta 61']My college required a class for interviewing/resume building.

Also, send a thank you letter a few days after your first interview. I wouldn't send it via e-mail, it's too impersonal and would more than likely get deleted as spam considering the volume of email most people receive these days.[/QUOTE]

The one page rule is as old as your info. Two to three is fine if it is relevant info.

The portfolio info is great advice.

When it comes to the handwritten note vs the email, if you send me a letter I will have already made up my mind by the time I get it. If you don't send me a thank you email that day I more than likely wont hire you.

Just some info with a manager with 10+ years of hiring experience.

[quote name='JStryke']For a while, it was a decent place to work, although I think it started to go downhill shortly after I started there. I've worked in two different Targets, and the first one back in 2010 was good as my hours stayed consistent. The second one where I'm at now, started decent, but the demands have gotten more outrageous as time goes by. Maybe it varies by store, but the store I'm at now I've been averaging 10-15 hours for the past month and a half and the store as a whole is understaffed. Feels like Target is a glorified Wal-Mart at this point in time.[/QUOTE]
I noticed the same too w/ my Target. I gotta wait a while in line unlike the old days.

i believe the key to your guys talk about one page v. two pages is this:

if you worked at McDonalds when you were 15 in high school and that is what is left hanging on the second page no one cares

but if your education takes up half a page already then of course you should list important (stuff you can brag about) employment

general rule, if you wouldnt tell a guy/girl what you do/did on a date, or are asshamed of something, why put it on the resume?

[quote name='WV Matsui']The one page rule is as old as your info. Two to three is fine if it is relevant info.

When it comes to the handwritten note vs the email, if you send me a letter I will have already made up my mind by the time I get it. If you don't send me a thank you email that day I more than likely wont hire you.

Just some info with a manager with 10+ years of hiring experience.[/QUOTE]

But what if they email the thank you the next day?

It's like this shit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aN4w2AfkEY

It's like there's no winning even for being reasonable.

[quote name='Clak']Was it an older gentleman, squinty eyes, tight lipped? Went by the name of Harry?

But I do kind of disagree with the idea that getting an interview means they think you're qualified. You'd assume that to be true, but sometimes it seems like they're just interviewing everyone who applied. I've had a few interviews they seemed to go really well, got along great with the person interviewing me, but nothing comes of it. It's about to the point that I'm ready to start being an asshole, because it seems like they're the ones getting the jobs.[/QUOTE]
Haha...no. It was a youngish guy. I suppose you'd be right in most cases, but it hasn't been my experience.

On the job front, I was supposed to get a callback today on a new gig, but I guess I'll have to wait til tomorrow. I know that at least one of my references has been contacted already and pretty much unofficially offered the job at the end of the interview.

[quote name='kodave']But what if they email the thank you the next day?

It's like this shit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aN4w2AfkEY

It's like there's no winning even for being reasonable.[/QUOTE]

Haha great movie

Honestly I always sent my email that same day. Hell with cell phones you can do it in the parking lot after your interview nowadays.

In this economy I would do anything to get ahead and to catch the attention of a manager like myself.

That quick email the same day takes two minutes and really goes a long way.

Edit - also do your research. If you apply for an email developer position be sure to check out their emails and see what system they are using etc. If you are applying for a Social Media position take a look at their properties to be able to better understand they philosophy. Also be sure to check out the company's about us section of their website. I have had plenty an employer "quiz" me about certain things on their company profile.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='WV Matsui']The one page rule is as old as your info. Two to three is fine if it is relevant info.

Just some info with a manager with 10+ years of hiring experience.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, kinda expected most of those techniques to be outdated since my last interview was seven years ago. Worked like a champ back then though; used that style twice and was hired both times.

The whole job search process is a huge pain in the ass. I feel sorry for you guys going through it now, especially with things the way they are currently.

[quote name='WV Matsui']I'm just curious...

How many of you have complete linkedin profiles?[/QUOTE]

I have a 100% complete profile. I use it to apply to jobs all the time.

Also, about the emails, I email as soon as I get home. The people that interviewed me have a thank you email within an hour of seeing my face.

The one page rule is as outdated as needing an objective statement IMHO.

I am glad that some of the dumber resume fluff is seen to be just that, fluff. Objective statements and other things like it. I'D also like to add on the resume length question, that at least for IT stuff, it's honestly ok if the resume is pages long, as long as you're showing a progression of skills, even if you're listing the same thing from multiple jobs, it shows that you've developed that same skill over a long time period.

Anyone have any negotiating tips when it comes to an offer? Consider the employer loves the candidate and considers them the perfect candidate. I heard that 80% of companies expect a negotiation. Is it okay to automatically request 10% on top of their offer considering the worst they can do is say no?

Are employers actually afraid of rejecting an employee's request for a higher offer as much as an employee is afraid of asking an employee for a higher offer?

[quote name='Kendro']Anyone have any negotiating tips when it comes to an offer? Consider the employer loves the candidate and considers them the perfect candidate. I heard that 80% of companies expect a negotiation. Is it okay to automatically request 10% on top of their offer considering the worst they can do is say no?

Are employers actually afraid of rejecting an employee's request for a higher offer as much as an employee is afraid of asking an employee for a higher offer?[/QUOTE]

Slippery slope. You don't want to seem greedy and at the same time you don't want them to think you'll just settle. I would not recommend you automatically ask for 10% more. I think that before you get completely serious about a position you need to know what you are willing to accept as fair compensation. Once you find that number it can waver depending on the benefits package they offer. Better benefits = your number can drop a little. Subpar benefits = a number a little higher. That's what you shoot for. If they offer you something more than fair and you shoot right back with a request for 10% more (which can be quite a bit depending on the initial offer) you could be putting a bad taste in their mouth and shooting yourself in the foot for no reason.

I also wouldn't suggest jumping on an offer immediately. Even if you know 100% you will take it, don't act desperate.

bread's done
Back