Searching For A Job - Rant/Rave/Discuss Here

There are so many application/resume/job interview superstitions it's not funny. I suppose it's good to know what people are thinking about this, but it's going to come down to the person doing the hiring and whatever their superstitions are.

The whole thing is a crapshoot and I believe the least effective way to gauge a potential employee's worth is the interview. I'd make it 10% of the decision and weigh the other factors more.

And in the vast majority of cases we make out these jobs to be more than they really are. We're not all interviewing for executive VP or some shit.

[quote name='Spokker']
And in the vast majority of cases we make out these jobs to be more than they really are. We're not all interviewing for executive VP or some shit.[/QUOTE]

A job interview is huge for me. Especially if its a job I really want. I don't look at it as interviewing for some job. I'm interviewing for my family's livelihood and the roof over our heads. Way more important than some VP position.

There are sites which list compensation figures for different jobs, although I wouldn't trust them 100%, they should be pretty close.

[quote name='Malik112099']A job interview is huge for me. Especially if its a job I really want. I don't look at it as interviewing for some job. I'm interviewing for my family's livelihood and the roof over our heads. Way more important than some VP position.[/QUOTE]

That's too much emphasis on it. Focusing on that alone can make the situation more stressful than what it should. If you don't have a job yet, I wouldn't focus on that when it comes to the interview.

[quote name='Malik112099']A job interview is huge for me. Especially if its a job I really want. I don't look at it as interviewing for some job. I'm interviewing for my family's livelihood and the roof over our heads. Way more important than some VP position.[/QUOTE]
What I am saying is that, balancing the perspective of employees and employers, we are probably all over-thinking what works and what does not. The risk of a low to mid-level employee not working out is overblown as long as the prerequisites are met and we should all just calm down. The person's background is going to be more important than a 15-minute interview where everybody is on their best behavior based on what they think they should be doing. We should admit that the interview is only marginally useful.

Just don't be stupid when it comes to wages. If it seems a hundred or two low a week, tell the interviewer. If it looks good to you and you have no problem with it agree to it. No need to push your luck if you are already unemployeed (though if you have employment already I'd throw a number out there that doesn't seem too bad).

We all know the interview is a small part of it but it is the most nerve wracking. It's the first impression. I've read shit about people not getting hired because the interviewer didn't like the cologne/perfume the person was wearing. Some of these people are super shallow and some of them are really cool. You never know what you are gonna get.

The interview isn't overrated. If you have 10 people with similar experiences (and in todays world that might be low), what else are you going to base your decision on?

Of course the interview is going to be most of the hiring decision. I realize that you might lose out on 1 out of 1000 qualified candidates because they are really shitty at interviewing. But that's their own fault. Interviewing is a skill just like every other job skill.

If you lowered the importance of the interview, what would you up the percentage on if everyone had the same background?

Malik - you are putting way too much pressure on yourself. That's why it's so nerve wracking.

If you have a ton of great work experience and you are having trouble finding a good job when you know you are qualified never underestimate paying for a resume writer if you have the cash.

When I decided to change jobs 3 years ago I found a résumé writer via LinkedIn and paid for a professional revision of my résumé. It cost me $500 but I doubled my salary. Definitely worth a look at if you think it is your résumé that is keeping you from getting calls.

[quote name='confoosious']The interview isn't overrated. If you have 10 people with similar experiences (and in todays world that might be low), what else are you going to base your decision on? [/quote]Rock, paper, scissors.

Of course the interview is going to be most of the hiring decision.
But it logically cannot be. Your background determines whether or not you even get the interview.
[quote name='WV Matsui']If you have a ton of great work experience and you are having trouble finding a good job when you know you are qualified never underestimate paying for a resume writer if you have the cash.

When I decided to change jobs 3 years ago I found a résumé writer via LinkedIn and paid for a professional revision of my résumé. It cost me $500 but I doubled my salary. Definitely worth a look at if you think it is your résumé that is keeping you from getting calls.[/QUOTE]
And this is even crazier. People should admit that in the vast majority of cases, they will never, ever know for sure what put them over the top or got them denied for a job.

[quote name='Spokker'] The person's background is going to be more important than a 15-minute interview where everybody is on their best behavior based on what they think they should be doing. We should admit that the interview is only marginally useful.[/QUOTE]

You would be tremendously surprised what people say in interviews, they are definitely not always on their best behavior. Their background is helpful, but even if they look like they have the qualifications on paper, it doesn't always work out due to their personality, which tends to come out in an interview.

Ya, I've been involved in interviews and am close with some people in the HR department and there are a dozen people with the exact same qualifications as you for every position. The interview matters a TON. The way you dress, speak, smell, how you talk about previous employers.

This has been a really weird week for me...

I got a call on Tuesday right before I went to Lunch for an interview on Wednesday (4 hours away) and today I got two interviews while I was eating breakfast. (One is two hours away and the other is four hours away)

Hopefully this is a good sign. The interview I had yesterday was in the Lake of the Ozarks region in the middle of nowhere. They had the nicest Wal-Mart I've ever seen (super clean and not crowded at all), but the closest Best Buy or GameStop is an hour away. All the other the interviews are scheduled for tomorrow and the weather guy says they're going to get 10 inches to 1 foot of snow! :whee:

If I get a lawyer job in the middle of nowhere I'm hoping that will give me an opportunity to buy a horse! Horses are cool.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Ya, I've been involved in interviews and am close with some people in the HR department and there are a dozen people with the exact same qualifications as you for every position. The interview matters a TON. The way you dress, speak, smell, how you talk about previous employers.[/QUOTE]
I am not saying that the interview does not matter. I am questioning why it should, the way we do it today, matter as much as it does.

I think the way I would do it is find some way to hide the name on resumes/applications and downplay the interview in order to reduce the chance of any potential bias that could creep into the process.

I mean, gosh, the way you speak? I'm not saying you should hire a stutterer to do public speaking, but does it matter in a typical office job?

[quote name='Spokker']Rock, paper, scissors.

But it logically cannot be. Your background determines whether or not you even get the interview.

And this is even crazier. People should admit that in the vast majority of cases, they will never, ever know for sure what put them over the top or got them denied for a job.[/QUOTE]

Explain yourself. I didn't say it was for everyone. What makes you such an expert?

[quote name='Spokker']I am not saying that the interview does not matter. I am questioning why it should, the way we do it today, matter as much as it does.

I think the way I would do it is find some way to hide the name on resumes/applications and downplay the interview in order to reduce the chance of any potential bias that could creep into the process.

I mean, gosh, the way you speak? I'm not saying you should hire a stutterer to do public speaking, but does it matter in a typical office job?[/QUOTE]

Nevermind I got my answer... You obviously don't know what you are taking about!

[quote name='WV Matsui']Nevermind I got my answer... You obviously don't know what you are taking about![/QUOTE]

I would love to see your old resume and your $500 resume. You can edit out your name and address.

I'd have to imagine it's a complete multimedia presentation in a hologram that flies around the room.

I would never personally pay for someone to re-write my resume. It just doesn't sound like something I would need unless I had zero clue how to use MS Word which would make you a unicorn these days.

I have been to company sponsored employment/resume type events and spoken to many people who do hiring. Ive heard stories that from the first dead fish handshake the interviewer knew they weren't going to hire that person. if they dont like the way you speak then they are sitting there thinking they wont want to interact with you on a daily basis no matter what kind of work you do. After I got one job a while back and became friends with some of the people on the interview panel I found out that some people wore jeans, brought in a cell phone that rang (I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS leave my cell phone in the car), were chewing gum, etc.

I even heard of someone that didnt get a job because the interviewer wore regular white socks with business attire and they just happened to see it. The interview is a pretty hefty first impression.

[quote name='Spokker']I would love to see your old resume and your $500 resume. You can edit out your name and address.

I'd have to imagine it's a complete multimedia presentation in a hologram that flies around the room.[/QUOTE]

You wouldn't even be qualified enough to evaluate it.

I can edit my name you nitwit.

This practice would be for folks who have a lot of skills and experience and have trouble putting it on paper. A lot of these writers who are really good know the keywords that employers are looking for and know what to put in a resume to get it through an online screener. I didn't say it was for everyone but for someone who thinks its needed and doesn't mind investing in it, which I didn't, it may prove to be beneficial.

For folks who are only a year or two out of college I would recommend going to your career services department. Most of them have resume writing and reviewing experience and offer that service to students and recent alumna.

They also will put you through a mock interview for practice to help you prepare as well.

Like I said I have 10+ years hiring experience so take it for what it's worth. I was just trying to give insight.

[quote name='Malik112099']I would never personally pay for someone to re-write my resume. It just doesn't sound like something I would need unless I had zero clue how to use MS Word which would make you a unicorn these days.

I have been to company sponsored employment/resume type events and spoken to many people who do hiring. Ive heard stories that from the first dead fish handshake the interviewer knew they weren't going to hire that person. if they dont like the way you speak then they are sitting there thinking they wont want to interact with you on a daily basis no matter what kind of work you do. After I got one job a while back and became friends with some of the people on the interview panel I found out that some people wore jeans, brought in a cell phone that rang (I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS leave my cell phone in the car), were chewing gum, etc.

I even heard of someone that didnt get a job because the interviewer wore regular white socks with business attire and they just happened to see it. The interview is a pretty hefty first impression.[/QUOTE]

White socks show no attention to detail in a professional interview. Shoes should be shined, tie is straight, matching dress socks, etc. Dress to impress. If I sat down with a candidate and he was in a dark suit and when he sat down he had white tube socks on, it would turn me off on then in an instance.

So I had a great interview on Tuesday and they told me they will definitely call me by the end of the week. Now my question is, I still haven't received a phone call and I'll hope and pray they call tomorrow, but what are my options if I don't receive a phone call? Should I give them a call up on say Monday and ask?

I am not really sure what I am supposed to do in those situations because I haven't looked for a new job in 10 years.

[quote name='Malik112099']
Ive heard stories that from the first dead fish handshake the interviewer knew they weren't going to hire that person.[/QUOTE]
More superstitions that employers and employees both cling to. They say Japan is the most superstitious nation, but I think when it comes to work, or more specifically getting work, that title belongs to us. This specific practice of judging someone's handshake is going to inevitably bias those people away from hiring people who are physically weak even if the position does not require raw strength.

[quote name='WV Matsui']
This practice would be for folks who have a lot of skills and experience and have trouble putting it on paper.[/QUOTE]
By chance does your job require writing skills? If so, do you pay people to do your job too?

I would honestly be curious if your employer, or any employer, would be less likely to hire someone who they know paid $500 to touch up their resume.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that the interview is a big part of the process. Its all about how you carry yourself. Dress well, leave your phone in the car, and do your research on the company. Every interview I've ever gone to in-person (and most phone interviews as well) asks what you know about the company.

As far as the resume debate goes, I've heard 2 pages is perfectly acceptable if you have relevant info. I'm a year out of college but I have my education history (majored in economics with a minor in management), relevant work experience, and school club activities there as well.

I was laid off from a major company last August due to bankruptcy. I was given free access to a company that specializes in resume writing, job placement, etc. I had them re-work my resume and every single person I showed it to preferred my original. I would think that the more qualified you are, the more capable you are to produce a top notch resume.

I had a 40 minute conversation with a recruiter earlier today for a position. Went well. We will see how it goes.

[quote name='Spokker']More superstitions that employers and employees both cling to. They say Japan is the most superstitious nation, but I think when it comes to work, or more specifically getting work, that title belongs to us. This specific practice of judging someone's handshake is going to inevitably bias those people away from hiring people who are physically weak even if the position does not require raw strength.

By chance does your job require writing skills? If so, do you pay people to do your job too?

I would honestly be curious if your employer, or any employer, would be less likely to hire someone who they know paid $500 to touch up their resume.[/QUOTE]

People do it all the time. You are trolling hard now. Why would an employer balk at hiring someone who paid a résumé writer? It's still my accomplishments and my work history? Your grasping for straws now.

[quote name='GamerDude316']I agree that the interview is a big part of the process. Its all about how you carry yourself. Dress well, leave your phone in the car, and do your research on the company. Every interview I've ever gone to in-person (and most phone interviews as well) asks what you know about the company.
[/QUOTE]

This is great advice. As I said earlier I always quiz my applicants on what they know about our company. If the job means something to them then they would have done some research not just blindly filled out an application.

[quote name='Spokker']More superstitions that employers and employees both cling to. They say Japan is the most superstitious nation, but I think when it comes to work, or more specifically getting work, that title belongs to us.

[/QUOTE]

Not that I believe in the handshake thing either, but certainly personality is a consideration when you need to work with others, and you cannot evaluate that without an interview. There are very few jobs that don't require you to work with other people.

[quote name='Prepster']So I had a great interview on Tuesday and they told me they will definitely call me by the end of the week. Now my question is, I still haven't received a phone call and I'll hope and pray they call tomorrow, but what are my options if I don't receive a phone call? Should I give them a call up on say Monday and ask?

I am not really sure what I am supposed to do in those situations because I haven't looked for a new job in 10 years.[/QUOTE]

Do not call them.

It is a 50/50 thing, they may have told you that to get you to leave.

I hope for the best that they call you, but just because they said they will call you does not mean anything.

[quote name='GamerDude316']I agree that the interview is a big part of the process. Its all about how you carry yourself. Dress well, leave your phone in the car, and do your research on the company. Every interview I've ever gone to in-person (and most phone interviews as well) asks what you know about the company.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='WV Matsui']This is great advice. As I said earlier I always quiz my applicants on what they know about our company. If the job means something to them then they would have done some research not just blindly filled out an application.[/QUOTE]

The interview process is a big part, often the biggest, but it should not be. Therefore, it is also the part of the hiring process I hate and seek to change. Interviews are incredibly easy to fake your way through. In fact the only types of positions I think a typical job interview holds real value for is sales/marketing and that's because you have to essentially sell the image of yourself. Now obviously they are a bit of a necessary evil as you can't hire someone based solely on paper either. But it's the game that has to be played that bothers me.

I can dazzle you with facts of a company all day long simply by doing some research on Google the night before the interview, but that's the problem. The interview game has become more making yourself out to be something you're not just because it presents well more so than actually evaluating someone's ability to do the job. You will learn almost nothing about a candidate's real ability to fill a position from a normal, standard job interview. And because everyone basically knows the game it will also be difficult to even gauge a person's true personality. So now from that you essentially have nothing of honest value.

You want to see if someone can really work for you, if they can really complete the job you are hiring them for? I say ask them some quick questions, see if they have any, then put them to work shadowing a person doing the actual job they will be hired for. They don't have to do anything except follow you or someone else for a half-hour but look for their reactions, see if they engage in the work, ask questions, etc.

[quote name='Spokker']Rock, paper, scissors.

And this is even crazier. People should admit that in the vast majority of cases, they will never, ever know for sure what put them over the top or got them denied for a job.[/QUOTE]

It's like you aren't even listening.

If you have 10 candidates with the same background, how do you make a determination on whom to hire if not the interview? Unless you can come up with a good answer to this, you're just being silly.

So I have 10 resumes in front of me. They have their names blacked out to avoid bias :)roll:)... if they are all qualified, how am I supposed to choose? Flip a coin? No. You INTERVIEW THEM.

Also, the words superstition - it does not mean what you think it means.

@Duo Maxwell - how the hell are you going to have someone shadow someone else to see if they can plan a budget or create presentation materials or the thousands of other jobs that you can't just demonstrate you can do in 30 mins. Plus, what you're proposing, outside of fry cook type jobs, is basically... an interview.

[quote name='confoosious']It's like you aren't even listening.

If you have 10 candidates with the same background, how do you make a determination on whom to hire if not the interview? Unless you can come up with a good answer to this, you're just being silly.

So I have 10 resumes in front of me. They have their names blacked out to avoid bias :)roll:)... if they are all qualified, how am I supposed to choose? Flip a coin? No. You INTERVIEW THEM.

Also, the words superstition - it does not mean what you think it means.

@Duo Maxwell - how the hell are you going to have someone shadow someone else to see if they can plan a budget or create presentation materials or the thousands of other jobs that you can't just demonstrate you can do in 30 mins. Plus, what you're proposing, outside of fry cook type jobs, is basically... an interview.[/QUOTE]

I love when it surprises me when I agree with you! :D

Just remembered that I still haven't heard back from that recruiter about a data center job she contacted me about. Kinda bummed about that, from the way she describe them they were very laid back and casual. Not the stuffed shirt types. Kinda getting pissed off at recruiters period. I take my time to come and talk to you, you blow a bunch of smoke up my ass, and then I never hear from you again, beautiful.

[quote name='dohdough']Got my offer today. Starting my new job at a non-profit on Monday. SCORE![/QUOTE]

Good for you, I hope you enjoy it and it works out for you!

I don't know what I would do if I ever got fired or quit. I've been with the same Company for 13 years.

[quote name='Tony Stark']Do not call them.

It is a 50/50 thing, they may have told you that to get you to leave.

I hope for the best that they call you, but just because they said they will call you does not mean anything.[/QUOTE]

Do not call them. It will annoy them.

Call them. It shows initiative.

It's a crapshoot. It's completely random.

Employers and employees alike will need to learn how to cope with uncertainty.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']
I can dazzle you with facts of a company all day long simply by doing some research on Google the night before the interview, but that's the problem.[/QUOTE]
My manager, who I think is really great, recently confided in me the biggest reason he gave me the job I have now (which is ending in a month but that's another story). He said that he was impressed that I knew who the CEO was and some things he said in recent interviews about the business.

I got that by doing as you described, doing some quick research on Google the night prior, but it doesn't really say anything about me as a potential employee or have anything to do with what I ultimately went on to do day-to-day. To be quite honest, the job could be expertly performed without knowing who the CEO is or what he has to say about the industry.

For these office jobs they often say they want someone who is passionate about the work, but who could be? Who grows up dreaming about office work? About accounting? About filing and sorting? Data center? The reality is that I want to do a good job and earn a living. All work is good work.

Look, I think a lot of the mainstream advice for interviews is more applicable to the top employers like Google or something. For Generic Mid-Sized Company #4053, let's drop some of the pretenses about who we are and what we are trying to accomplish.

[quote name='Spokker']Do not call them. It will annoy them.

Call them. It shows initiative.

It's a crapshoot. It's completely random.

Employers and employees alike will need to learn how to cope with uncertainty.[/QUOTE]

You've been getting shit on in this thread somewhat, but I agree with the above.

Again, I liken it back to the whole "Swingers" how-many-days-before-I-call thing. It's ridiculous and there's no way to know for sure unless you have an inside scoop on the interviewer. And sometimes the interviewer isn't even the one making the final decision. It's just nutty out there.

[quote name='confoosious']I'm still waiting for an answer for what to use to judge similar candidates other than an interview because they are sooooooo stupid.[/QUOTE]

Background check, reference check, years of experience, specific work experience, transferable skills, awards and commendations, education, certifications, specific work achievements, etc. Unless they are straight out of the same college and didn't have extra curricular activities there are plenty of ways to distinguish candidates from one another without ever meeting them. If they aren't separating themselves from the rest in one way or another why interview at all?

The interview is the last check, IMO. Interview I feel is the ultimate test to see if you will work well with the organization. Thus the reason I stated earlier not to put too much emphasis on this in terms of sweating it out. Yes, be prepared, professional and sell yourself, but also understand that you may be qualified, but might not be a good fit with the organization. This doesn't talk to how you are as a person, or your skill level, but how the interviewer(s) see you as a piece in the pie.

I'm trying to get into Instructional Design, and some people in class have applied for the same jobs I have and gotten the gig while I have not. I see what they're capable of, and they're not as knowledgeable as me when it comes to the field, but I see how they work and some prefer their personality.

Some managers prefer non-go getters while some enjoy being able to let go of the reigns and watch their teams go to work. You as an interviewee will not know of these qualities unless you have inside info, or they informed you during the interview.

You really can't do anything about this. This is not a mark against you, just how that specific workplace dynamic is. Some people don't understand this, and I believe make the process more stressful for themselves.

I had an interview a week ago today which I felt went well. I know I'm still in the running (I have a friend that works there) and I would really like to have this position. I sent a thank you email inside of an hour after the interview. Now I am debating on whether or not to send a follow-up email. I want to show that I'm a go-getter and interested in the position (which I know they want) but I don't want to annoy them either.

What do you guys think about following up a few days after the interview?

[quote name='dohdough']Got my offer today. Starting my new job at a non-profit on Monday. SCORE![/QUOTE]
Congrats dude. I've looked into some local non-profits before, but none ever seem to need IT people.

[quote name='Tony Stark']Congratz[/QUOTE]

[quote name='skiizim']Good for you, I hope you enjoy it and it works out for you!

I don't know what I would do if I ever got fired or quit. I've been with the same Company for 13 years.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Clak']Congrats dude. I've looked into some local non-profits before, but none ever seem to need IT people.[/QUOTE]
Thanks dudes. It's an administrative position so I'm basically payroll, HR, IT, and misc. Best part is that there's a Popeye's across the street!

Charlie-Sheen-Winning-Poster.jpg

[quote name='Clak']Well, Popeye's chicken is fucking awesome, so score.[/QUOTE]
Double score because there's a Crown Fried Chicken a block away in another direction.:cool:

[quote name='dohdough']Double score because there's a Crown Fried Chicken a block away in another direction.:cool:[/QUOTE]
Not knowing wtf that is I looked it up. Lucky SOB....:lol:

[quote name='perdition(troy']Did they give you a time frame about their hiring process?[/QUOTE]

Not really. Got the interview through the friend that works there. The actual hiring manager had an emergency and wasnt in the interview and is out till Monday. I asked my buddy about the email and he said it is completely out of the hands of the people that interviewed me so a follow-up email will be pointless. He said he would ask his boss about me on Monday.

bread's done
Back