Searching For A Job - Rant/Rave/Discuss Here

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']I graduate in a year...this is disappointing to hear. :whistle2:(
I'm hoping being a double major pays off... (Criminal Justice and Sociology)[/QUOTE]

Ouch, the two lowest paying degrees. =/

Edit: I'm not trying to be a douche. Unless you want to be a cop or something, those degrees are not worth much.

[quote name='Prepster']In my opinion, double majors are a waste and maybe that is me just being spiteful since I haven't gotten anything with my two degrees, but I really do hope you can find something when you graduate and I wish you luck![/QUOTE]

My college wouldn't let us do double majors. Probably because of how few classes we'd need for a math degree.

[quote name='elessar123']Ouch, the two lowest paying degrees. =/

Edit: I'm not trying to be a douche. Unless you want to be a cop or something, those degrees are not worth much.

My college wouldn't let us do double majors. Probably because of how few classes we'd need for a math degree.[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping to go into Probation or just become a regular cop. I would disagree and say that the jobs pay reasonably well and they come with a lot of good benefits. I'm interested in making a difference in my community so I guess it's not always about the money :lol: As long as I can live comfortably then the job is good imo (especially with this economy)

http://education.yahoo.net/articles/versatile_degrees.htm
http://education.yahoo.net/articles/degrees_to_avoid.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='highoffcoffee496']I'm hoping to go into Probation or just become a regular cop. I would disagree and say that the jobs pay reasonably well and they come with a lot of good benefits. I'm interested in making a difference in my community so I guess it's not always about the money :lol: As long as I can live comfortably then the job is good imo (especially with this economy)[/QUOTE]

Like I said, unless you're going to be a cop. I think border patrol gets paid a decent amount as well.

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']Just got out of my second interview! I think she really liked me!!! Here's to hoping!! :D[/QUOTE]

::fingers crossed::

Just checked my "jobs" folder in my yahoo mail account. Any time I applied to a position, got rejected, was contacted by a recruiter, etc and was sent an email about it I put it in that folder. I've had the folder since the beginning of January and it just hit 400 emails.

Interview went well. He said he likes what he sees and I come highly recommended from my friend there and the people who interviewed me a week and a half ago. There is one other guy interviewing tomorrow for the position. I will know the result either Monday or Tuesday.

My buddy just texted me. He spoke with his boss and he was told that I'm going to be given a job offer!! I'm so excited right now!! I'll update when I actually get it!

I've got an interview with another recruiting agency tomorrow. He claimed to have a couple of positions I might be a fit for. Of course he wants to go through the whole meet with us, here is my card, blah blah routine "just in case" those positions don't work out. Will probably end up like the rest of these interviews, I'll never hear back from them.

[quote name='Clak']I've got an interview with another recruiting agency tomorrow. He claimed to have a couple of positions I might be a fit for. Of course he wants to go through the whole meet with us, here is my card, blah blah routine "just in case" those positions don't work out. Will probably end up like the rest of these interviews, I'll never hear back from them.[/QUOTE]

I was laid off and out of work last August for 2 months and had a few of those interviews. Never really heard anything back from them. I've had more luck with recruiters that contact you out of the blue because they saw your résumé somewhere.

Congrats dude.. In less than a month of being jobless.

Back to super depressing. Saw a job that I had 2 interviews for last month get re-posted on my professional affiliation website. I got the old "we care pursuing candidates that more closely match our requirements" back then....guess this is what they were talking about.

[quote name='Malik112099']Thanks! Super pumped and thankful to my friend who recommended me![/QUOTE]

Always about who you know. That's why it pays to be nice to people.

[quote name='usickenme']Congrats dude.. In less than a month of being jobless.

Back to super depressing. Saw a job that I had 2 interviews for last month get re-posted on my professional affiliation website. I got the old "we care pursuing candidates that more closely match our requirements" back then....guess this is what they were talking about.[/QUOTE]

I dont think I ever had this happen.

Anytime I didnt get picked for a job it never reappeared.

Although is the position a high turnover position or multiple people in the same position?

[quote name='Tony Stark']I dont think I ever had this happen.

Anytime I didnt get picked for a job it never reappeared.

Although is the position a high turnover position or multiple people in the same position?[/QUOTE]

no, it's a pretty specific...it was a product rep in my industry. They told me they were interviewing for one position. I think they like people with sales experience over people who've worked in the industry (construction)

The reality is that I probably would've turned them down (too much travel) but it would've been nice to have the offer. Oh well, it's all the same ending

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Malik112099']Just got the official offer. Signed and returned. Tentative start date of the 22nd of this month.[/QUOTE]

Congrats!! :)

I was supposed to hear if I got my internship today...got nothing :/
Hopefully the other one I interviewed for works out...:pray:

[quote name='yourlefthand']Ugh. I just got an offer yanked because I tried to negotiate. I wasn't completely happy with it, but it was reassuring to have an option.[/QUOTE]

So they said we'll give you $x amount, and you said how about $x amount?, and they said see ya later? Curious, so I can avoid something similar.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']So they said we'll give you $x amount, and you said how about $x amount?, and they said see ya later? Curious, so I can avoid something similar.[/QUOTE]

I think they or the interviewer have an ego...

Of course someone always wants more, if a job has $12, you request $14 they say no its a firm $12, they wont just be like BYE!

I think it is better you are not there. Look at this as a positive.

Cannot imagine what would happen if you actually worked there and requested a raise or perks.

[quote name='Malik112099']I was laid off and out of work last August for 2 months and had a few of those interviews. Never really heard anything back from them. I've had more luck with recruiters that contact you out of the blue because they saw your résumé somewhere.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I never get those calls.

[quote name='yourlefthand']Ugh. I just got an offer yanked because I tried to negotiate. I wasn't completely happy with it, but it was reassuring to have an option.[/QUOTE]

Really? Complete opposite experience for me. I think my boss respects me more because I negotiated. He made me a fair offer and I gave valid reasons on why I deserved more. In the end, a successful negotiation is when both parties feel like they won, which in our case holds true.

That sucks. Unless you came back with a ridiculous amount they shouldn't have said no all together. I was worried about this. On the official application in desired compensation I went about $5K more than I wanted hoping they would lower it for the initial offer and it would be what I wanted. I was worried it would backfire but I got lucky and got the exact figure I was looking for.

Keep your head up. Probably didn't want to work for them anyways.

[quote name='Clak']I've got an interview with another recruiting agency tomorrow. He claimed to have a couple of positions I might be a fit for. Of course he wants to go through the whole meet with us, here is my card, blah blah routine "just in case" those positions don't work out. Will probably end up like the rest of these interviews, I'll never hear back from them.[/QUOTE]

Don't even bother, those meetings are useless. Only time recruiters are any good are if they are recruiting for specific positions and they contact you directly.

Well I applied for a specific position they had listed on their site, and that was the job he mentioned having available, gave me the company name and job description. I'm going to give it one more try. He did mention that with this company, he had placed people there from a previous employer of mine, so seeing that previous job on my resume was good as the company has had good experience with people that came from there. Hope that last sentence makes sense....lol.

[quote name='Malik112099']That sucks. Unless you came back with a ridiculous amount they shouldn't have said no all together. I was worried about this. On the official application in desired compensation I went about $5K more than I wanted hoping they would lower it for the initial offer and it would be what I wanted. I was worried it would backfire but I got lucky and got the exact figure I was looking for.

Keep your head up. Probably didn't want to work for them anyways.[/QUOTE]

Things are looking up a bit. I may have another offer coming in tomorrow, and the place that pulled those offer has walked that back and are looking at meeting one of my requests. We'll see.

congrats Malik!

If you dont mind me asking, what field? You probably said it already but I seem to have missed it.

2 people out in my department in the last week, one transferring to another position and one who just got canned. We have a department meeting tomorrow with potentially another 2 people on their way out...so a bit of a crazy time.

I applied to 2 positions at another big company in the area last week, curious if anything will come out of it.

After the mixup in the negotiations, it looks like the company is coming back about 8% higher.

The other place is a startup, which I don't really like, and cheap, which I really don't like.

Have been too tied up to skim the forums for a while. Just perused through the last few pages to quickly say the following while I have a moment:

Congratulations to: Malik22, 2DMention, dohdough, Ag_SurfR. It's great to see CAGs experiencing success!

Best of luck to: highoffcoffee496, Prepster, Dokstarr, Clak. We're all pulling for you guys.

Keep your head head up to: Abear21 and anyone else who's going through a difficult job search experience. Things will get better eventually, even if it takes some time.

@yourlefthand: Glad to hear that it was a mix up. I did a double take when I read your earlier post moments ago.

Well thankfully that recruiter wasn't blowing smoke up my ass, I have an interview tomorrow for the job he talked to me about.

[quote name='Clak']Well thankfully that recruiter wasn't blowing smoke up my ass, I have an interview tomorrow for the job he talked to me about.[/QUOTE]

I have found many recruiters to be bad...

Many are contract positions who are trying to hire anyone to get hired full time.

[quote name='GamerDude316']congrats Malik!

If you dont mind me asking, what field? You probably said it already but I seem to have missed it.[/QUOTE]

It's a large centrifugal pump company that caters mostly to oil & gas.

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']I just got an internship offered to me! I'm going to be working with Federal Probation Officers!! :D :D[/QUOTE]

That sounds pretty cool! Congrats!!

[quote name='Tony Stark']I have found many recruiters to be bad...

Many are contract positions who are trying to hire anyone to get hired full time.[/QUOTE]
Well this would be a 3 month contract to hire position, best I've been offered so far. Usually they're temp jobs. The guy ahs a history with the director at this place, has helped him fill a number of positions, so I feel better about this. The guy is looking to find someone quickly and definitely wants to keep them if they work out.

When i went over the benefits with the recruiter he actually mentioned they have a pension at this place, who does that anymore?

[quote name='Malik112099']That sounds pretty cool! Congrats!![/QUOTE]

Thanks!! :bouncy: She has to still confirm a few things but it sounds pretty set. I'll be starting at the end of May \\:D/

[quote name='yourlefthand']I accepted the job this morning. I'll start just under a month after my layoff.

Big bonus is I'll get an @noaa.gov email addy.[/QUOTE]

Sweet. Also, your acting administrator used to be a man.

SexwNWA.jpg

[quote name='yourlefthand']After the mixup in the negotiations, it looks like the company is coming back about 8% higher.

The other place is a startup, which I don't really like, and cheap, which I really don't like.[/QUOTE]

I have noticed how fucking cheap startups can be. fuck startups. Want to work you to the bone and pay you pennies for it. Even nonprofits are more generous.

After all of that, the startup came in with a really good offer and the contracting company hasn't gotten a written offer to me. I might be at the startup after all.

Well the interview went well today. From what I understand it's between one other guy and myself. The other guy has more experience, but wants more money. Lack of experience doesn't seem to be too much of a problem, they're really big about bringing people in at lower positions and training them, eventually allowing them to move up to higher levels positions. Plus a lot of the stuff I'd be knowing with is proprietary to the company, so they'd have to train anybody they brought in to some extent.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I have noticed how fucking cheap startups can be. fuck startups. Want to work you to the bone and pay you pennies for it. Even nonprofits are more generous.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

I had an interview today for a more lucrative position within the company I work for. I felt that everything went well, except for the bullshit question "What do you like best about your current position". Of course the correct answer would be absolutely nothing, but that's probably not the best one to give, so I was put on the spot a bit to come up with a better response. The answer I did come up with wasn't great, but I'm still holding out hope. What a bullshit question, if I liked my current job, why would I be looking for a new one?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']What an insightful reply![/QUOTE]

It's about the same level of insight as your comment about startups. I thought it apropos.

bread's done
Back