Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne $44.99 at Play-Asia

[quote name='62t']at least this time they admit that there is a reprint, unlike what happen with persona 2[/QUOTE]

No kidding... paid $110 for Rhapsody and Persona 2 from GQD, thinking it was a deal and feeling lucky as hell and then finding out weeks later I could've gotten them "used" from GS for ~$65 total.

Well, I know for most people it isn't a big deal, but I was glad to see Gamestop apparently got the reprint. After coupons online, it comes up to the same price that it does from PA shipped, but this way I get to use my GS store credit to buy it.

And if by some freak chance they send me a copy that's incomplete or scratched - which I doubt, since like others said they're probably just opening the new reprint copies & selling them - I can always return it to a local store.

[quote name='argyle']Well, I know for most people it isn't a big deal, but I was glad to see Gamestop apparently got the reprint. After coupons online, it comes up to the same price that it does from PA shipped, but this way I get to use my GS store credit to buy it.

And if by some freak chance they send me a copy that's incomplete or scratched - which I doubt, since like others said they're probably just opening the new reprint copies & selling them - I can always return it to a local store.[/QUOTE]

I believe what the issue here is that a good amount of people here dislike what gamestop and ebgames are doing behind the scenes. I still do business with them, sometimes I end up winning somehow, but they win also by staying in business.
I think 1/2 of it is sticking it to the man, but the other half is worrisome.

Cags are suspecting they are buying brand new copies and ripping them open on purpose, lying about them every being traded in, and having unsuspecting buyers purchase the game for $60 + tax when they could be getting them for a considerably lower amount from play-asia.

Now this isnt a problem to you, because you have agreed to receive imaginary money from them, that only they will accept in the future, so really, you are not saving yourself some trouble, you are, in fact, stuck in that situation. Unless of course you are to purchase from play asia, and still have that credit with ebstop. I understand you must get rid of it somehow.

If im wrong, then i apologize, but they just seem like a really shady business. They try to sell my younger brother and my unsuspecting mother an alleged brand new game when it is clearly not shrink wrapped. That is absurd. really.

Could they not use a generic case, print out the artwork from the internet, and have it on the shelf instead? I leave that up to you

[quote name='ihavenolife123']Could they not use a generic case, print out the artwork from the internet, and have it on the shelf instead? I leave that up to you[/QUOTE]But that wouldn't be annoying enough for Gamestop :lol:

I don't like Gamestop either, for the most part. There is one of their stores that I like; the staff there is very cool and it's generally well-managed. Otherwise, I don't shop there unless I absolutely have to.

Anyway, I'd hate for Nocturne not to show up at Amazon. Play-Asia is kind of a last resort for me right now (due to their typical markup on US games), but I'm wondering how long their stock will last...

[quote name='blueshinra']But that wouldn't be annoying enough for Gamestop :lol:

I don't like Gamestop either, for the most part. There is one of their stores that I like; the staff there is very cool and it's generally well-managed. Otherwise, I don't shop there unless I absolutely have to.

Anyway, I'd hate for Nocturne not to show up at Amazon. Play-Asia is kind of a last resort for me right now (due to their typical markup on US games), but I'm wondering how long their stock will last...[/QUOTE]

It isnt gamestop that you like, its the employees working there at the moment.
Come to waco tx and see how you like them here. Or even McAllen, Tx. (maybe i just live in a weird state)

My suggestion is, if you have at least $100 and you have never played Nocturne
Buy the play asia...surely guaranteed to get it, unless about 500 costumers getting royally screwed.
IF it comes out on amazon, buy it there ALSO

Sell one copy. It isnt as if the demand for this game will go UNDER the price of what you bought them for.
Thats a total of $80 for two games that used to go for $80 each.

Im sure, if you are patient, the prices will climb back up. Good things come to those who wait.

I sure am wordy

[quote name='ihavenolife123']It isnt gamestop that you like, its the employees working there at the moment.
Come to waco tx and see how you like them here. Or even McAllen, Tx. (maybe i just live in a weird state)[/QUOTE]
I've been going to that one particular Gamestop, on and off, for years; never had any problems, and their selection's good. Only thing is, it's way out of the way (near relatives in another state who we visit every once in awhile); don't at all care for the ones that are actually near me.

And I'll think about your suggestion, though part of me's still in "wait and see" mode.

[quote name='ihavenolife123']It isnt gamestop that you like, its the employees working there at the moment.
Come to waco tx and see how you like them here. Or even McAllen, Tx. (maybe i just live in a weird state)

My suggestion is, if you have at least $100 and you have never played Nocturne
Buy the play asia...surely guaranteed to get it, unless about 500 costumers getting royally screwed.
IF it comes out on amazon, buy it there ALSO

Sell one copy. It isnt as if the demand for this game will go UNDER the price of what you bought them for.
Thats a total of $80 for two games that used to go for $80 each.

Im sure, if you are patient, the prices will climb back up. Good things come to those who wait.

I sure am wordy[/QUOTE]

Rhapsody and Persona 2 are nowhere close what they were worth before the reprint. And there are still lots of Disagea around from the reprint

when was persona 2 reprinted?

and if amazon doesn't pick up the nocturne reprint, you can't blame atlus. Blame or email amazon and let them know you want it. I do find it odd atlus doesn't sell nocturne directly on their website shop. That would make the most sense.

[quote name='buckythekat']I'm still waiting for Amazon, kinda thought they would have it by now though :whistle2:([/quote]

good luck.

who knows how many reprints they ran.. dont wait too long before it runs out

been wanting this game for a while now, but i wont pay $80+ for it

so i say that extra $10 or so i gave playasia was worth it

I took jeremywoods's advice and bought one. Also picked up Sega Ages Galaxy Force 2. If Amazon does get it in I doubt it will be less than $50 at which point i'm out a bit on shipping.

And i'll use my Atlus Amazon coupon on either Spectral Force 3 or Operation Darkness.

Now I just need to study for my finals and prepare for a summer of george, baby!!

[quote name='gobz']I took jeremywoods's advice and bought one. Also picked up Sega Ages Galaxy Force 2. If Amazon does get it in I doubt it will be less than $50 at which point i'm out a bit on shipping.

And i'll use my Atlus Amazon coupon on either Spectral Force 3 or Operation Darkness.

Now I just need to study for my finals and prepare for a summer of george, baby!![/QUOTE]

I dont see why people are worried that play asia will be out of stock soon. None of the other reprints went oos in a year. If amazon sells it you can bet it will be $30-40

[quote name='62t']I dont see why people are worried that play asia will be out of stock soon. None of the other reprints went oos in a year. If amazon sells it you can bet it will be $30-40[/quote]

I admit that it wouldn't be completely far fetched for a price in that range. If I remember correctly, Disgaea originally had a MSRP of $40. The reprint was sold at $30. Furthermore, Persona 3 Fes is coming out at the low, low price of $30.

However, both those games were considerably more popular than Nocturne. With that said I would guess that Atlus didn't authorize a very large printing. Worst case scenario is that I am wrong and have spent a little extra money. But since I ordered another game and used a $5 coupon I won't feel too bad.

And if it turns out to be $30 from Amazon you can bet your ass that i'll buy another copy from them :D

[quote name='ihavenolife123']I believe what the issue here is that a good amount of people here dislike what gamestop and ebgames are doing behind the scenes. I still do business with them, sometimes I end up winning somehow, but they win also by staying in business.
I think 1/2 of it is sticking it to the man, but the other half is worrisome.

Cags are suspecting they are buying brand new copies and ripping them open on purpose, lying about them every being traded in, and having unsuspecting buyers purchase the game for $60 + tax when they could be getting them for a considerably lower amount from play-asia.

Now this isnt a problem to you, because you have agreed to receive imaginary money from them, that only they will accept in the future, so really, you are not saving yourself some trouble, you are, in fact, stuck in that situation. Unless of course you are to purchase from play asia, and still have that credit with ebstop. I understand you must get rid of it somehow.

If im wrong, then i apologize, but they just seem like a really shady business. They try to sell my younger brother and my unsuspecting mother an alleged brand new game when it is clearly not shrink wrapped. That is absurd. really.

Could they not use a generic case, print out the artwork from the internet, and have it on the shelf instead? I leave that up to you[/QUOTE]

Umm...I'm actually *counting* on the fact that they bought a shipment of new copies and are selling them as used, just opened. Again, after the online coupons floating around here, it's the exact same price as play-asia.

And I have credit because I traded a ton of stuff in there - which, again, I know is a mortal sin to some of you people. But I took advantage of deals, and got what I considered to be fair prices for my stuff. Could I have gotten more on Ebay? Probably. Was the difference worth the hassle to me? No.

While Gamestop isn't perfect, and if you get a store with bad employees it can suck, they aren't the devil. The run pretty good deals constantly. They put out good coupons weekly, they have that perpetual 10% off anything coupon. It isn't a bad place to shop.

I know I may have to turn in my CAG license for defending them, but.... :roll:

Disgaea has a MSRP of $50. I know because i got it on day 1.

As for gamesotp, if you are a collector you will want a sealed copy instead of a open copy.

[quote name='vherub']when was persona 2 reprinted?

and if amazon doesn't pick up the nocturne reprint, you can't blame atlus. Blame or email amazon and let them know you want it. I do find it odd atlus doesn't sell nocturne directly on their website shop. That would make the most sense.[/quote]

Persona 2 was reprinted back in 2005.

Well I caved and ordered it from Play-Asia. I haven't had any issues ordering from them before. I'll just keep my copy sealed until I'm ready to play it and if Amazon gets the reprint copies then I guess I could order it from them and sell my sealed copy for more than $50 easily.

I caved in to. If I happen to see one through amazon I'll just buy and sell for a profit to make up for this purchase.

[quote name='vherub']and if amazon doesn't pick up the nocturne reprint, you can't blame atlus. Blame or email amazon and let them know you want it. I do find it odd atlus doesn't sell nocturne directly on their website shop. That would make the most sense.[/quote]
Well they did close down their online store. So it'll be a little hard for them to sell it that way.

[quote name='bigl523']Well I caved and ordered it from Play-Asia. I haven't had any issues ordering from them before. I'll just keep my copy sealed until I'm ready to play it and if Amazon gets the reprint copies then I guess I could order it from them and sell my sealed copy for more than $50 easily.[/QUOTE]

by the time amzon starts selling it, the price on ebay will drop and you wont get that much for it.

[quote name='RaidenMGS3']Ahrggg, I wish Amazon would carry this! I so don't want to order through Play Asia.....[/quote]
I am in the same boat as you, i have a copy of this game but it's not in good condition. I would love to get a new one but i would love to wait for amazon.

[quote name='62t']by the time amzon starts selling it, the price on ebay will drop and you wont get that much for it.[/quote]

If the reprint was done in limited quantity (which it seems it is as only Gamestop and Play-Asia bought in) then I'm not too concerned. It seems that a lot of these copies are getting gutted and sold as used which is helping the situation for me. And you know what, if amazon starts selling it and they price it at $30, oh well. I'm not that cheap that I'm going to kill myself because I spent $20 more. At least at the end of the day I know that I'll have a copy and paid a fair price for the game sealed and didn't have to worry about getting some ripped up copy from Gamestop or having to pay $100 on ebay. The $20 extra is insurance that I get a nice new copy :)

I already have the soundtrack disc, so the lack of it in the reprint doesn't affect me. The only thing I need to do once I get mine from Play-asia is to find a two-disc PS2 case.

[quote name='Antic']I already have the soundtrack disc, so the lack of it in the reprint doesn't affect me. The only thing I need to do once I get mine from Play-asia is to find a two-disc PS2 case.[/QUOTE]

You could just get some movie dvd that has the extra flap and place the insert of the game in it.

I doubt the ebay going price might be drastically low in...say...2 years ;)

Zomg double post

I send a message to amazon:
(Careful, spelling errors)

Your Name:dmksaojndosjaf
Comments:I have a question for whoever is has handled the new business partnership between Amazon.com and ATLUS, U.S.A. and ATLUS software.

I am a fan and customer of both atlus and amazon, and i have purchased their products through you in the past. Now, I have been lead to believe that they have removed their own store and instead favor their fans to purchase their item through Amazon.com
So my first question is, do you have a special relationship of this kind with ATLUS, USA?

If so, a second concern arises.
You might have noticed that i have preordered from amazon. That i "Persona 3: FES" for the PlayStation 2.
This is an ATLUS-published game, and it has reached the #34 best seller, and maybe even higher. With this in mind, and that many ATLUS fans are supportive of their franchises, I wonder if you are willing to sell other ATLUS merchandise that has been out of print in your website for quite some time.

It has been brought to my attention that the game "Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne" has had a reprint, and is currently being sold in the online retail store play-asia.com through the following link:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-43-49-en-70-bug.html

You can also notice that on the bestseller list of PS2 games of that website, the bestseller item currently is the SMT: Nocturne, followed by Persona 3: FES
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-14-71-3-49-en.html
(as of the time of sending this message)

I was wondering, have you been aware of this reprint? The reason why I ask is because Atlus employees have been aware of the reprint, but they have mentioned that they have no idea what retailer may end up with them.

If you have heard, and you are in business with ATLUS, were you planning on selling this reprint sometime soon?

If you have not heard, what do you think now?
Nothing against play-asia.com, but is there any way you can get your hands on the supplies of this item and sell it for a similar if not lower amount? I know there are plenty of fans of amazon AND Atlus that will be willing to put our money down on this highly sought-after videogame through the trusty methods of Amazon.com

Please, let me know when you find out about this,

Sincerely,
hgdjdsakdsa

got this:

Thanks for writing to Amazon.com.

I'm sorry, but it appears that we do not currently sell "Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne" on Amazon.com.

We do expand our selection frequently and want to know what products you'd like us to offer. You can submit product requests online. To do so, simply click the button at the top of the Amazon.com web site which reads "Shop All Departments" and click the link to our video game store under the heading "Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne".

From there, you may be able to locate a video game item similar to the "Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne" you're looking for. At the bottom of the product detail page of most items on our web site, you should see a blue Feedback or Suggestion Box where you can submit your request for the specific product you want.

I've also included some information below that may help you find what you are looking for from another source.

Thanks for shopping at Amazon.com.

And some random links...
Well, i guess that settles that :(

Ok...think I'm going to be biting on the play-asia link soon. Im assuming its 44.99 + shipping (think it was 4.xx). Any other online fees or charges I should be aware of? (I want to make sure theres enough in my bank account).

Also if anyone is willing to sell the limited edition soundtrack cd at a reasonable rate feel free to pm me :D;)

That might have been a computerized response...

Just curious, what would happen if I re-ordered Nocturne from Play Asia and they ran out of copies? Would I get my money back or would they give me Store Credit?

[quote name='aerozero']That might have been a computerized response...[/quote]

Not necessarily, if I recall, but only because Amazon tends to be good with keeping plenty of people on CS duty at all times. The only problem is that the people involved with actually making purchasing decisions and whatnot are getting their weekend on, so even if something could be done or info could be popped off the CS people really wouldn't know for another few days if they were allowed to talk about it.

C'est la vie, unfortunately. Still, you can't necessarily go wrong with Nocturne for $50. If it ends up not being your cup of tea I would imagine you can still sell it away to someone else in a bit of time for cost or maybe a couple of bucks under, at worst.

Anyone think this reprint might trigger a second instance of Persona 2, in that we could see this game used for less than 50 dollars for the next four to five years? Also, did Atlus really do a reprint of DDS1 or am I thinking of something else?

[quote name='Zieq']Anyone think this reprint might trigger a second instance of Persona 2, in that we could see this game used for less than 50 dollars for the next four to five years? Also, did Atlus really do a reprint of DDS1 or am I thinking of something else?[/QUOTE]

Since nothing official was said about the nocturne reprint, and nothing official has been said about persona 2, then no one really knows.
It is speculated, through hindsight, that persona 3 popularity and FES anticipation inspired the nocturne reprint.

Really, if they reprinted anything, that would be really awesome. But the only ones that might know that is atlus themselves. By the looks of it, not even they know sometimes.

^Atlus already confirmed that a reprint did happen, they just don't which retailers (besides Play Asia and perhaps Gamestop) are going to buy some of the inventory.

I'm hoping that Game Crazy will pick some up.

[quote name='aerozero']^Atlus already confirmed that a reprint did happen, they just don't which retailers (besides Play Asia and perhaps Gamestop) are going to buy some of the inventory.

I'm hoping that Game Crazy will pick some up.[/QUOTE]

Yea, but i mean atlus only confirmed it ex post facto. They did not inform anyone at any time until someone came across it on the play-asia website. It was probably part of the business agreement to not advertise it (dont know why it would be, but when a company says "we didnt know" it sometimes means they COULDNT tell legally)

So if there is another reprint, if they dont announce it, then this will repeat, that is, be "discovered"

[quote name='ihavenolife123']Yea, but i mean atlus only confirmed it ex post facto. They did not inform anyone at any time until someone came across it on the play-asia website. It was probably part of the business agreement to not advertise it (dont know why it would be, but when a company says "we didnt know" it sometimes means they COULDNT tell legally)

So if there is another reprint, if they dont announce it, then this will repeat, that is, be "discovered"[/quote]

well, hopefully someone discovers reprints of DDS sometime soon :)

They should reprint Etrian Odyssey while they are at it, even though the game isn't going for Nocturne prices on eBay. At the very least, they should send me a brand new copy! :cool:

[quote name='vherub']when was persona 2 reprinted?

[/quote]

In 2005 from Game Quest Direct, along with Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure. EBGames couldn't sell those copies for a long time (for $30), but they went fast after the 75% off PSX games clearance. As reprints, they didn't do too well, but now it seems like they went up in value since then. That makes you wonder if people are only buying these games for collector's value or if they want to play them. Either is fine in my opinion, but just be aware that games get reprinted all the time now, and what's worth $100 now may be only worth $10 a year later, and vice-versa.

Mine shipped too, I also got their newsletter which states there are limited quantities to be had. They also have brand new copies of Disgaea 1 for the ps2 if anyone hasn't gotten that yet.

"An answer to the prayers of all old school RPG gamers! Play-Asia.com has been able to track down limited quantities of two tremendously popular and highly in demand PlayStation2™ games from Atlus.

The first one is an old school RPG Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne in which after witnessing the end of the world, the hero is transformed into a demon to survive the apocalyptic Tokyo in order to discover the truth behind the catastrophe and the whereabouts of his teacher and friends.

As opposed to the previous installments in the Shin Megami Tensei series, although the hero maintains a human heart, he is essentially a demon. Instead of using items and weapons designed for humans, the hero learns skills by earning megatama and persuading other like-minded demons to join forces with him to survive.

To make the game even more appealing, the coolest devil hunter, Capcom's Dante from Devil May Cry makes an appearance and is coming after the hero's life! Although he is your strongest foe, depending on how you play your game, he is your strongest ally as well.

The NTSC/UC encoded US version of Atlus' Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne for PlayStation2™ has been out of print for more than three years, resulting into prices ranging above the US$ 80 mark at ebay and other popular auction sites.

Play-Asia.com has finaly been able to trace a limited supply of the game, which is now back in stock for as long as supplies last at US$ 44.90 only. Please bear in mind that the original soundtrack CD that came in the original package, is no longer included with this reprint.

If you haven't done so yet, make sure to submit your preorder for the NTSC U/C encoded US version of Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES, which is expected to be in stock later this month.

The second previously out-of-stock game is the NTSC U/C encoded US version of Disgaea: Hour of Darkness for PlayStation2™. It is available now for as long as supplies last and is sold at US$ 28.90 only."

bread's done
Back