Sixaxis Periodical Bluetooth Disconnection/Desyncing Problem

There've been a few people who had controllers replaced with no effect. Hopefully they've actually figured it out now. Anyone with/without this controller model?

Yeah that's my controller's model number. Hopefully by the the holidays they have this problem taken care of (rumble too maybe?) and I can just buy a couple of those and use my current one as a backup and for friends.

No, this is clearly a problem with the PS3. Alot of people say that we should turn off our wireless devices but many of these things work with the other consoles' wireless controllers just fine. and I don't like the idea of using my TV speakers instead of my 5.1 system just because the ps3/ps3 controller doesn't have adequate protection against signal interference.

Obviously this issue doesn't affect everyone, but to those it does... it's quite annoying. And it's really retarded how this NEVER Happens to my 360 under all same conditions.

I've found the main cause of my issues, but I don't exactly feel like going out and buying a whole new sound system within a year just because of the ps3.

[quote name='Zoglog']No, this is clearly a problem with the PS3. Alot of people say that we should turn off our wireless devices but many of these things work with the other consoles' wireless controllers just fine. and I don't like the idea of using my TV speakers instead of my 5.1 system just because the ps3/ps3 controller doesn't have adequate protection against signal interference.

Obviously this issue doesn't affect everyone, but to those it does... it's quite annoying. And it's really retarded how this NEVER Happens to my 360 under all same conditions.

I've found the main cause of my issues, but I don't exactly feel like going out and buying a whole new sound system within a year just because of the ps3.[/QUOTE]

The 360's controller isn't bluetooth, so it doesn't have to hop the 2.45 GHz frequency like bluetooth does (spread spectrum)... It's quite possible that the periodic disconnects are a direct result of other wireless interference with the bluetooth adapter in the PS3. Since there's little "wiggle" room in the 2.4GHz spectrum, people with oodles of wireless devices could possibly see the periodic disconnects as the bluetooth controller "hops" around the spectrum (which is the basic way bluetooth works for secure reasons as well as to prevent things from sharing the same frequency at the same time...) But since there's such a finite granularity on the spectrum, and most of the crappy cordless phones are made in china with "all the best parts", it's possible we're seeing what the earlier webpage I posted in this thread was afraid of... "spectrum bloat". ;) (for lack of a better term...)

And to top it off, bluetooth signals are weaker than the power output of cordless phones, so guess who loses in a scrap at the same freq? The 1 milliwatt one (bluetooth.)

So anywho... maybe the bluetooth controller in the PS3 is substandard, or we're seeing the already crowded ISM band having issues with things that send data quite a bit (when using a controller, you're transmitting data quite often and rapidly to the source...)

*shrug* Just a thought...

>.< my ps3 doess that onlt on the anogle sticks so far well mostly the right1 when im looking around in the darkness it only happens and it would start to lookin in 1 dirction crazly

[quote name='Mechafenris']The 360's controller isn't bluetooth, so it doesn't have to hop the 2.45 GHz frequency like bluetooth does (spread spectrum)... It's quite possible that the periodic disconnects are a direct result of other wireless interference with the bluetooth adapter in the PS3. Since there's little "wiggle" room in the 2.4GHz spectrum, people with oodles of wireless devices could possibly see the periodic disconnects as the bluetooth controller "hops" around the spectrum (which is the basic way bluetooth works for secure reasons as well as to prevent things from sharing the same frequency at the same time...) But since there's such a finite granularity on the spectrum, and most of the crappy cordless phones are made in china with "all the best parts", it's possible we're seeing what the earlier webpage I posted in this thread was afraid of... "spectrum bloat". ;) (for lack of a better term...)

And to top it off, bluetooth signals are weaker than the power output of cordless phones, so guess who loses in a scrap at the same freq? The 1 milliwatt one (bluetooth.)

So anywho... maybe the bluetooth controller in the PS3 is substandard, or we're seeing the already crowded ISM band having issues with things that send data quite a bit (when using a controller, you're transmitting data quite often and rapidly to the source...)

*shrug* Just a thought...[/QUOTE]

yeah, I think you're right on the money. A good contrast is my wiimote which is also bluetooth and I never loose signal with that as far as i've noticed. but then again there hasn't been much to play on the Wii......................

I think the Logitech Wireless speakers really bully that Spectrum which is causing the intolerable amount of disconnects. But before I used those speakers I did still get the disconnects occasionally, but FAR less frequently. I really think the ps3 has some substandard bluetooth and it needs to be boosted or something.... Basically it needs to do whatever those logitech speakers are doing because those virtually never disconnect.

what could also suck is if you live in an apartment and a neighbor has some wireless stuff that could interfere with the ps3, it just sucks....

thats my controller model number. So do i call them to replace it? or should i wait till the rumble feature comes out to try to replace it?

[quote name='shadylane']thats my controller model number. So do i call them to replace it? or should i wait till the rumble feature comes out to try to replace it?[/QUOTE]
I don't see why they'd let you "trade up."

why they would or wouldn't?

so wait i'm lost here. so there is no replacement plan for this controller from sony but yet they are acknowledging the problem? because if this was a replacement program then it shouldnt be a problem right?

[quote name='Zoglog']yeah, I think you're right on the money. A good contrast is my wiimote which is also bluetooth and I never loose signal with that as far as i've noticed. but then again there hasn't been much to play on the Wii......................

I think the Logitech Wireless speakers really bully that Spectrum which is causing the intolerable amount of disconnects. But before I used those speakers I did still get the disconnects occasionally, but FAR less frequently. I really think the ps3 has some substandard bluetooth and it needs to be boosted or something.... Basically it needs to do whatever those logitech speakers are doing because those virtually never disconnect.

what could also suck is if you live in an apartment and a neighbor has some wireless stuff that could interfere with the ps3, it just sucks....[/QUOTE]

That's the part that the "Bluetooth Consortium" or whatever they're called never admitted... we're going to see this quite a bit in the future when the wireless spectrum gets even more crowded.. and those of us near a "wireless maven" (like a neighbor or whatnot) will be the first to realize the hype surrounding these technologies is a bit overdone... Don't get me wrong... I like wireless controllers (and who doesn't like bluetooth remotes? heh) but there are entirely too many things vying for the spectrum, and the temporary hacks (or band-aids) are going to run out...

I think we're seeing (in terms of the speakers) a bandwidth issue, and whatever Logitech has done to minimize the saturation is something Sony needs to ask them about. :) you'd think at 1 milliwatt the logitech speakers would have even more troubles, because streaming music (or sound in general) would really be susceptible to droppage. (for lack of a better name for it.) Maybe they've got better error correction...

I really don't like the idea of dropouts in the spectrum designed for things like heart monitors and such ;) Maybe we could reduce the power of the cordless phones... so they could compete on the same level.... heh. Anyway, I'm just rambling now... I'll stop :p

[quote name='Mechafenris']The 360's controller isn't bluetooth, so it doesn't have to hop the 2.45 GHz frequency like bluetooth does (spread spectrum)... It's quite possible that the periodic disconnects are a direct result of other wireless interference with the bluetooth adapter in the PS3. Since there's little "wiggle" room in the 2.4GHz spectrum, people with oodles of wireless devices could possibly see the periodic disconnects as the bluetooth controller "hops" around the spectrum (which is the basic way bluetooth works for secure reasons as well as to prevent things from sharing the same frequency at the same time...) But since there's such a finite granularity on the spectrum, and most of the crappy cordless phones are made in china with "all the best parts", it's possible we're seeing what the earlier webpage I posted in this thread was afraid of... "spectrum bloat". ;) (for lack of a better term...)

*shrug* Just a thought...[/QUOTE]Being an electrical engineer myself. the reason the controllers do disconnect has to do with wireless devices having similar frequencies, causing them to interfere with one another. For an example, if you have cordless phones, wireless routers, and many other wireless devices, they'll be a lot of disconnects. That's the reason Sony registered a new frequency at the FCC, for the new 80GB PS3 (to avoid the problem). When I'm at home, my controllers have disconnected a few times. While I'm in my apartment (that only has my wireless router), I never had my controller disconnect.

So it is pretty much officially a problem with the PS3 itself? Damn. Guess I should start looking for places to buy longer USB cords.

[quote name='The Mana Knight'] That's the reason Sony registered a new frequency at the FCC, for the new 80GB PS3 (to avoid the problem). When I'm at home, my controllers have disconnected a few times. While I'm in my apartment (that only has my wireless router), I never had my controller disconnect.[/QUOTE]

is that confirmed? Man, if so maybe I should contact Sony about getting me one of those......... too bad it'll lose the EE though.

[quote name='Zoglog']is that confirmed? Man, if so maybe I should contact Sony about getting me one of those......... too bad it'll lose the EE though.[/QUOTE]
I posted the link here:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3123561&postcount=126

This is probably as confirmed as it will get until someone with a website notices something different about the 80GB model. I tried asking a few sites to get comment from Sony on the matter, to no avail.

I notice mine cuts out when I need to charge it. I have yet to get it during a game though. I know I will be pissed when it happens.

bread's done
Back