Sixaxis Periodical Bluetooth Disconnection/Desyncing Problem

[quote name='shaunLEGEND']A method I got from some people at GAF is to play with the controller plugged in via usb.

I didn't believe it at first but I haven't had a disconnect while the controller is plugged in, so I can't say it doesn't work.

Also unfortunately, the longest length most stores carry (monoprice, compusa, etc) is 6 ft. Which is way too short for me still. Fortunately, nyko sells one that is 10 ft (I'd prefer longer, but it's just enough for me). It's the $10 charge cable that you find at eb.[/QUOTE]

That definetly works since it turns it into a wired controller. However the cable it comes with is so damn short and the extra controllers don't even come with a cable (wtf?!). I know the cables are cheap, but sometimes we've designed our setups to be wireless (esp since all the next gen controllers SHOULD be wireless). The cord is a temp solution, but is especially annoying when trying to use the Six Axis function on the controller............

When this issue first came up on the forum, I said I hadn't had the problem, but since then it has happened a number of times. Not a daily occurrence by any means, but often enough to be annoying. I might be playing Oblivion, for example, and my character will keep rotating or moving even though I'm not doing anything. I don't really think it's interference, but even if it is, Sony should be able to work around that. It's obviously a problem that is affecting a large number of people (and for those of you who say you haven't had it, it may just be that it hasn't happened at a time when it would be obvious).

[quote name='icruise']When this issue first came up on the forum, I said I hadn't had the problem, but since then it has happened a number of times. Not a daily occurrence by any means, but often enough to be annoying. I might be playing Oblivion, for example, and my character will keep rotating or moving even though I'm not doing anything. I don't really think it's interference, but even if it is, Sony should be able to work around that. It's obviously a problem that is affecting a large number of people (and for those of you who say you haven't had it, it may just be that it hasn't happened at a time when it would be obvious).[/QUOTE]

For some reason the occurences seem to be happening more often to me as time goes by. It's got me somewhat worried since this is a fundamental issue that affects all games.

Playing lair might be quite a pain in the ass if I have to use a usb cable.

Not exactly on topic, but do they have usb extension dongles available? Like one end for the mini usb connector, and the other end for the regular usb so you can connect two cables like that together?

And I dunno how much those kinds of usb cables go for, but the Adaptec Gamebridge 1400 (info here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107560&highlight=adaptec ) comes with one, and can be had for $4.90, just over $5 after tax, at Fry's Electronics B&M and online as well, though you would have to pay for shipping online. If you were planning to get one of those to connect to your pc to record some direct videos or something (s-video or composite only though), might be nice to get one of those for the usb cable also. Just tried it with the controller and works just fine. I got mine at my local Fry's just a few days ago. Found it in the networking / routers area lol

Yes, you can get extenders that will connect two USB cables together, and also cables that will convert a normal USB cable to one with the mini-USB connector, so even if you can't find a mini-USB cable that's long enough, you should be able to make one.

I was looking at the little big planet video again today off the ps3 network from the GDC conference and I think you can notice a part where one of the guys playing suffers from this in the controller. On the part where they're getting the jetpacs you'll notice the feather guy is carried up top, but instead of getting the pack his character continues moving left until he falls down......

Played for hours on Resistance again and only happened once.

Happened once while playing MKII, man, the other guy probably thought I was an idiot...

[quote name='BREVITY']This really should be addressed by Sony. It's happening at least once a session but often many times.[/QUOTE]

I think this especially affects both you and me because we have the same speaker system.

However I was getting this issue before, just not as frequent.

[quote name='Zoglog']I think this especially affects both you and me because we have the same speaker system.

However I was getting this issue before, just not as frequent.[/QUOTE]
You have the ones with the wireless rear speakers? Those used to kill my home phone. I had not thought about this being the problem. Being that I have loads of other Bluetooth items that never loose connection or studder in any fashion I really am disheartened to see this happening on my PS3.

My understanding is that when you plug it in through USB, it actually turns off the BlueTooth radio and starts transmitting through USB-does anyone know for sure? I *HATE* that this generation is using these stupid wireless pads. One of the first things I did with my 360 was switch to wired :bomb:

Here's an idea to test if you're getting desyncing:

Do you have an X-Box 360 or Wii? If so, try UNPLUGGING THEM and see if you still get interference. I hear a lot of people keep saying "my 360 doesn't disconnect..." well, I'm wondering if the 360 is spewing out RF interference.

You could also try disabling any other wireless networks you aren't using-shut down blue tooth on your cell phone, your Macbook, whatever.

But I'd be especially suspicious of the 360 since it's using a proprietary protocol.

EDIT: wireless phones could potentially be causing this too, and they'd be using a proprietary signal as well.

[quote name='BREVITY']You have the ones with the wireless rear speakers? Those used to kill my home phone. I had not thought about this being the problem. Being that I have loads of other Bluetooth items that never loose connection or studder in any fashion I really am disheartened to see this happening on my PS3.[/QUOTE]

yeah, there is a definite effect going on here. However it isn't the fundamental problem. It just happens more often with these speakers, however it was happening before I got these speakers (about 70% as much)

I have heard from some people with no other wireless devices that this still affects them as well. And Wolfpup, I have NEVER had any problem with 360 wireless controllers. They work flawlessly. Your suspicions for that are unfounded.

Wireless controllers are one of my favorite feature for this generation (and especially those with large living rooms)

Even when I have my PS3 pads plugged in they still seem to unsysnc randomly and I lost a few MKII matches like that last night. This is really starting to piss me off. The bluetooth headset seem to work fine without disconnects. It's almost like the 360 has the opposite problem. my 360 headset acts stupid but the pads have never failed me yet. but on the PS3 the pads act like bitches and the BT headsets work flawless.

[quote name='Zoglog']
I have heard from some people with no other wireless devices that this still affects them as well. And Wolfpup, I have NEVER had any problem with 360 wireless controllers. They work flawlessly. Your suspicions for that are unfounded.

No they're not. They can work fine all they want-that doesn't mean they aren't causing interference for other devices.

Try unplugging the console before powering up the PS3 and see what happens.

[quote name='Wolfpup'][quote name='Zoglog']

No they're not. They can work fine all they want-that doesn't mean they aren't causing interference for other devices.

Try unplugging the console before powering up the PS3 and see what happens.[/QUOTE]

Thats what it sounds like he explained already. No devices but still the same problem. I myself tried unpluging everything that was wireless and still run into the same problems. Maybe some of the BT radios are bad.

[quote name='Michaellvortega'][quote name='Wolfpup']

Thats what it sounds like he explained already. No devices but still the same problem. I myself tried unpluging everything that was wireless and still run into the same problems. Maybe some of the BT radios are bad.[/QUOTE]

He/she didn't explicitly say if he/she has unplugged the 360 or Wii or whatever while playing. Seems worth trying to me (along with wireless mice-anything else that might be screwing things up).

[quote name='Wolfpup'][quote name='Michaellvortega']

He/she didn't explicitly say if he/she has unplugged the 360 or Wii or whatever while playing. Seems worth trying to me (along with wireless mice-anything else that might be screwing things up).[/QUOTE]

Well I thought it was assumed, but yes all other consoles are off before I play my ps3 since I can only play one console at a time and Wii Connect 24 is disabled.

I found a particular annoying occurance of this yesterday when I was playing Marvel ultimate alliance, I was disarming bombs where you have to do a series of tilt gestures and It's ultra frustrating knowing you did a gesture and not knowing if the Sixaxis screwed up or fearing the controller is on one of it's disconnection moments. I am damn looking forward to Lair and this really scares me.

[quote name='TimPV3']Didn't Sony file something for an update to the Bluetooth module? Perhaps that'll solve the problem.[/quote]

I think I remember reading that the change only affected some different antenna module or something that shouldn't affect the operation any more than its current capacity.

I've experienced the desyncing and I have no other bluetooth devices except for these controllers. Well actually I guess my laptop has bluetooth but I never use it, so that shouldn't be it.

[quote name='imascrub']I think I remember reading that the change only affected some different antenna module or something that shouldn't affect the operation any more than its current capacity.

I've experienced the desyncing and I have no other bluetooth devices except for these controllers. Well actually I guess my laptop has bluetooth but I never use it, so that shouldn't be it.[/QUOTE]

I think we've pretty much ruled normal interference to not be the case here. And even so these controllers SHOULD be immune and work just like all the other first party wireless controllers. It's something you should expect from next-gen consoles (and especially of damn next gen controller prices). As for the new bluetooth module that'll be interesting but perhaps ther WAS a bug in the previous one. It'll suck to have to ship in the ps3 to get a replacement.............
but my biggest concern is that none of the press seem to really be asking Sony about this and I think there seems to be a decent # of people affected by this.

[quote name='Zoglog']
but my biggest concern is that none of the press seem to really be asking Sony about this and I think there seems to be a decent # of people affected by this.[/QUOTE]

With the low amount of PS3 owners and the even lower time of PS3 use due to lack of games why would this get covered? I bet most people have the same problem we do and don't even know it.

[quote name='Zoglog'][quote name='Wolfpup']

Well I thought it was assumed, but yes all other consoles are off before I play my ps3 since I can only play one console at a time and Wii Connect 24 is disabled. [/quote]

But did you physically unplug your other stuff, especially your 360, before turning on the PS3?

But did you physically unplug your other stuff, especially your 360, before turning on the PS3?[/QUOTE]

actually my 360 is broken at the moment, so yes. This quite simply isn't a problem with normal interference.

But did you physically unplug your other stuff, especially your 360, before turning on the PS3?[/QUOTE]

That doesn't matter. I have also had the problem since launch. It happens at my house with wired connections, and other systems. I even went the extra mile to unplug them from a power source and unplug any other wireless device I had around them. It happens at other peoples houses that aren't online at all and only have a PS3. It's a problem with the controllers. All of them, probably not. But it's certainly happening to a good number of people.

Even if it was some instance of crazy wireless interference, which it isn't, that's still a problem with the controllers and should be fixed on their end. People shouldn't have to unplug their surround sound systems, phones, laptops/PC's, other gaming systems just because Sony makes a system that doesn't have a properly functioning controller in a general home setting.

Darn. Well, it's worth trying. I was suspicious of the 360 since it's using a proprietary protocol and has been known to knock out other wireless networks.

Nah, it's certainly a weird problem though. Two of my friends have the same thing happen and another guy said that he hasn't had or noticed any problems. It's just one of those quirky problems that nobody really knows how to fix. Same thing with the MS wireless headsets.

So how does one get these issues publicized some someone will put some damn pressure on Sony to find a solution to this problem? Right now I don't think just posting on this board will get us enough coverage =/

Well I sent in tips in to see if maybe we'll get something up besides the normal Tech support Response.

This is yet another reason I hate wireless. I really wish it were just optional like the last generation. Let third parties do it if they want to. I for one don't want to change batteries every other day for the privilege of using my system exactly the same way as before.

Just put a friggin long cord in the box and be done with it!

[quote name='Wolfpup']This is yet another reason I hate wireless. I really wish it were just optional like the last generation. Let third parties do it if they want to. I for one don't want to change batteries every other day for the privilege of using my system exactly the same way as before.

Just put a friggin long cord in the box and be done with it![/QUOTE]
360 offers both options.

Well, you CAN use some usb>ps2 converters but that's really not the point. If you advertise something as a selling point, I would like for it to work. You obviously have a choice, it just might not be one that you want.

the point is that it SHOULD work properly. At the minimum you would expect the hardware to perform correctly in the control aspect.

[quote name='zewone']360 offers both options.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, which is one of the few design decisions I like about the system. I tossed my wireless pad a week after I started heavily playing it.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']That's because 360 is about choice.[/QUOTE]

It is not, that's such a load of marketing you-know-what :D

Yeah, like you have the "choice" to buy the system for $400, or the "choice" to buy it for $300, and then spend more than $100 to get it working.

"It's all about you!" Sheah right! ;)

PS3 offers both options as well....

Just buy a cheap, longer USB cable.
10ft should do it.

Hehe, I don't know how you do it Wolfpup, but I can't go back to wired.

I just don't see the point. It doesn't give me anything, except having to change the batteries every other day (on the 360 at least). I guess the PS3 actually switches to USB? Maybe? But when I had it hooked up like that, it felt pretty awkward the way the cable came out the back (plus it seems like it would be easy to fall out).

[quote name='Wolfpup']I just don't see the point. It doesn't give me anything, except having to change the batteries every other day (on the 360 at least). I guess the PS3 actually switches to USB? Maybe? But when I had it hooked up like that, it felt pretty awkward the way the cable came out the back (plus it seems like it would be easy to fall out).[/quote]

I don't have to worry about wires tangling up.
Or people tripping on them, (and then making the console topple over, or my controller hit the hard ground.

And with the USB cables, if say, my cat decides to go supersonic and jump at my cable, at least it'll get unplugged before my controller or console suffer.

And yes, it switches to USB (no BT) when plugged in.
Proven because that's how you get it to play on your PC with the usb driver.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I just don't see the point. It doesn't give me anything, except having to change the batteries every other day (on the 360 at least). I guess the PS3 actually switches to USB? Maybe? But when I had it hooked up like that, it felt pretty awkward the way the cable came out the back (plus it seems like it would be easy to fall out).[/QUOTE]
Damn, how much do you play your 360 in a day that you have to change the batteries every other day? Using the play & charge kit, I can get many days if not weeks out of a charge. Same with the PS3.

The problem we're discussing in this thread isn't big enough (for me at least) to be more than an occasional annoyance. It's certainly not enough to make me want to use a wire controller. But darn it, they should work right, and trying to put the blame on interference in the user's house really doesn't fly. For one thing, the 360's and Wii's controllers work fine in the same environment, and in any case the controllers should be able to cope with a normal amount of interference. The main thing I'm worried about is that it's a hardware flaw in either the system or the controllers, and not something that can be corrected with a software update.

[quote name='icruise']The problem we're discussing in this thread isn't big enough (for me at least) to be more than an occasional annoyance. It's certainly not enough to make me want to use a wire controller. [/QUOTE]

Try being #1 in a Motorstorm race only to have it crap out on you, or replay a 30 minute mission because your idiot character runs off a cliff or into an attack on a boss battle. These have all happened to me and it's only a matter of time before those affected by this problem suffer from it in that matter.

Last night, I had a lot of syncing issues on Resistance. It kept going out of sync while I was charging it. As soon as I detached the USB cable, it fixed itself. If I would have had to play the last level of Resistance because of the controller messing up....

it seems the bloggers are too busy media whoring (well not all bloggers but MOST of them) about the VTech Incident and it's relation to gaming to give a crap about this issue that affects PS3 users. And you'd think they'd love another excuse to bash the PS3.

[quote name='icruise']Damn, how much do you play your 360 in a day that you have to change the batteries every other day? Using the play & charge kit, I can get many days if not weeks out of a charge. Same with the PS3.[/quote]

I don't know, a normal amount. Maybe 4-6 hours a day. Maybe more.

I don't get this love fore wireless though. I mean you're having to swap batteries, remember to charge them, etc., they cost more, they desync, and you're STILL willing to use them rather than just having a cable?

You don't have to swap batteries as long as you remember to actually plug them in to charge once in a while (having two controllers also helps, since you can always have one charged). And they don't really cost any more than normal controllers, since they come with the system. So the only issue at hand is the occasional (for me anyway) problem of desyncing.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I don't know, a normal amount. Maybe 4-6 hours a day. Maybe more.

I don't get this love fore wireless though. I mean you're having to swap batteries, remember to charge them, etc., they cost more, they desync, and you're STILL willing to use them rather than just having a cable?[/QUOTE]

Wireless helps me a lot when I am playing with friends. We used to have to sit on one side of my living room to play on my PS2 because wires wouldn't reach the other side. I did get a couple extension cables, but when we had more than 4 people and did a lot of swapping of controllers, it would be one big tangled mess after we were done. It wasn't THAT big of a deal, but, given the choice, I will easily take wireless over wired. Never had a problem with batteries. If it runs out, I just play while its plugged in.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I don't know, a normal amount. Maybe 4-6 hours a day. Maybe more.

I don't get this love fore wireless though. I mean you're having to swap batteries, remember to charge them, etc., they cost more, they desync, and you're STILL willing to use them rather than just having a cable?[/quote]

Damn, I want your job where I can play that much every day.
Actually, I can't play that much anymore, that was me back in middle school days.

This is how you do it.
Play to your hearts content, and every couple days or so, just plug the PS3 controller in overnight into your computer or PS3.

Man, yeah, with 360 you'd be spending a fortune on batteries.
I play with my PS3 once a day, but go a week before charging it, and takes a few hours, overnight.

bread's done
Back