Sixaxis Periodical Bluetooth Disconnection/Desyncing Problem

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Never had a 360 controller desync, even the old PS2 and Xbox wireless pads where better then the sixaxxis wireless.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's the strange thing. The last PS2 wireless controllers from Logitech worked flawlessly and I never had any signal interruptions with those either.
Much sadness =(.

The thing I wonder is, as more people own PS3s as games come out, will there finally be enough critical mass to get Sony to address the problem?

[quote name='Zoglog']it seems the bloggers are too busy media whoring (well not all bloggers but MOST of them) about the VTech Incident and it's relation to gaming to give a crap about this issue that affects PS3 users. And you'd think they'd love another excuse to bash the PS3.[/QUOTE]

christ dude get some fucking perspective

[quote name='Milkyman']christ dude get some fucking perspective[/QUOTE]

I do have perspective. I have no comment on the incident itself but rather the whoring for ad clicks by covering non-related sensationalist news that's all over network tv anyway. YOU get some damn perspective

For a supposedly high-end gaming system, I believe this to be unacceptable. Granted, we had wired controllers as default in the previous generation, but my understanding that if they make this available as a first-party, then all the kinks should have been worked out already. Even for playing a casual game like Super Rub-a-Dub, it can be frustrating to see the rubber duck fall off the tub because of this issue.

Definitely more frustrating missing that 10K bonus that you've been working for in awhile in NGS because of the desync.

IMO, for now "wireless" is nothing more than a marketing gimmick. Performance should not be sacrificed for convenience. I have the 60 GB version and a wireless router, but I have it wired nonetheless.

Just my $0.02. Thanks for reading the rant of an irked gamer.

[quote name='cag1125']For a supposedly high-end gaming system, I believe this to be unacceptable. Granted, we had wired controllers as default in the previous generation, but my understanding that if they make this available as a first-party, then all the kinks should have been worked out already. Even for playing a casual game like Super Rub-a-Dub, it can be frustrating to see the rubber duck fall off the tub because of this issue.

Definitely more frustrating missing that 10K bonus that you've been working for in awhile in NGS because of the desync.

IMO, for now "wireless" is nothing more than a marketing gimmick. Performance should not be sacrificed for convenience. I have the 60 GB version and a wireless router, but I have it wired nonetheless.

Just my $0.02. Thanks for reading the rant of an irked gamer.[/QUOTE]

wireless is not a gimmick. It works perfectly on my 360 and It is fucking invaluable for keeping order and playing from the couch.

My apologies for the ambiguity. I assumed that, since we're on the subject of PS3 de-syncing I was limiting myself in the realm of the PS3. Let me rephrase that then:

"...for now 'wireless' for the PS3 is nothing more than a marketing gimmick..."

I totally agree with the 360. I'm actually currently playing NGB on it. Looks great upconverted. It actually helped me get through the Very Hard level for NGS.

Currently working on at least finishing the demo on Master Ninja level.

[quote name='cag1125']My apologies for the ambiguity. I assumed that, since we're on the subject of PS3 de-syncing I was limiting myself in the realm of the PS3. Let me rephrase that then:

"...for now 'wireless' for the PS3 is nothing more than a marketing gimmick..."

I totally agree with the 360. I'm actually currently playing NGB on it. Looks great upconverted. It actually helped me get through the Very Hard level for NGS.

Currently working on at least finishing the demo on Master Ninja level.[/QUOTE]

well yes and no, for the less intensive gaming like when i'm just casually playing FFXII if it desyncs once or twice an hour it's not that big a deal, but if i'm playing motorstorm online, I always end up plugging it in so I don't run into a wall.

Oh yeah, and I found the 1up article

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3155392

[quote name='Zoglog']wireless is not a gimmick. It works perfectly on my 360 and It is fucking invaluable for keeping order and playing from the couch.[/QUOTE]

It works well, but it's completely pointless IMO. The controller's heavier, I had to swap batteries every other day, and I get the privilege of yet another radio transmitter sitting on me. Bought a wired pad and never looked back.

I wish they weren't wasting money on wireless.

Have you guys checked your cell phones?

Yep, my Wii motes kept having problems, same with my 360 controllers. I don't have a PS3 yet, but I found out that my cell phone was actually interfering with the wireless signal to my controllers for the two other systems. It's likely that could be similar. I would go so far to say that certain phones with certain services might give out a signal that could cause a full desync.

I'm having a problem where every time I go into a menu or do almost anything, the face buttons stop working and I have to continually unplug and replug the controller. I'm considering buying a Logitech controller if that will fix the problem (Since I need a 2nd controller anyway) but I don't want to dump 40 bucks if that won't fix the problem. Anyone have any ideas?

[quote name='ZForce']I'm having a problem where every time I go into a menu or do almost anything, the face buttons stop working and I have to continually unplug and replug the controller. I'm considering buying a Logitech controller if that will fix the problem (Since I need a 2nd controller anyway) but I don't want to dump 40 bucks if that won't fix the problem. Anyone have any ideas?[/QUOTE]

if It's happening every second, that sounds like a total defect one way or the other.

I'm going to snatch up a Logitech Cordless precision controller and see if that works, that way I'll at least know if it's the system or the controller, plus I'll have my 2nd controller that way :)

I'm pondering on whether or not I should return my console for a replacement with the controller desyncing..........
Though I find it hard to believe it's my console since it happens to so many other people.

[quote name='Zoglog']I'm pondering on whether or not I should return my console for a replacement with the controller desyncing..........
Though I find it hard to believe it's my console since it happens to so many other people.[/QUOTE]

have you tried other controllers? I was thinking it might just be the controller...

[quote name='ZForce']I'm going to snatch up a Logitech Cordless precision controller and see if that works, that way I'll at least know if it's the system or the controller, plus I'll have my 2nd controller that way :)[/QUOTE]
I'd advice against it.

I had one and it does not have the tilt sensor or whatever the sixaxis has. Not only that, it doesn't work with some games. I was trying to play R6 Vegas using it, and it just wouldn't work.

It's a shame, I really like the shape of the controller.

Yeah, I remember seeing some really negative reviews. I'm surprised Logitech would release something like that, as they're not like the garbage third party accessory makers...at least they didn't used to be...

[quote name='Apossum']have you tried other controllers? I was thinking it might just be the controller...[/QUOTE]

yeah I have 2 controllers, one I bought in another store and one that came with the console.

my question is, how many ps3 owners DON'T have this problem? I want to know the chance of exchanging one and getting a console that doesn't have this problem.. I've already had 3 different consoles with the same problem..

And that's with the newest firmware and everything? That's disturbing to me since I have one sitting in my Amazon cart right now...

[quote name='sunghost']my question is, how many ps3 owners DON'T have this problem? I want to know the chance of exchanging one and getting a console that doesn't have this problem.. I've already had 3 different consoles with the same problem..[/QUOTE]

Ever since I made sure to set my PC and phone in stand by while playing, it has gone away for the most part.

[quote name='Wolfpup']And that's with the newest firmware and everything? That's disturbing to me since I have one sitting in my Amazon cart right now...[/QUOTE]

it's not a reason not to buy the console, it's not a reason to let it just go either.
It's just very annoying.

[quote name='sunghost']my question is, how many ps3 owners DON'T have this problem? I want to know the chance of exchanging one and getting a console that doesn't have this problem.. I've already had 3 different consoles with the same problem..[/QUOTE]

I've had it happen exactly one time... it has not been a problem, but as it's been said before, it's not worth completely dismissing. (Minimize bluetooth usage while you're playing the game seems like a good idea....)

It should not, however, be a deal-breaker if one's seriously considering a PS3.

I guess there's a good chance that the changes listed in this document regarding Bluetooth are a fix to this problem. Which means 80gb will have no EE, but will have working controllers?

[quote name='pete5883']I guess there's a good chance that the changes listed in this document regarding Bluetooth are a fix to this problem. Which means 80gb will have no EE, but will have working controllers?[/QUOTE]

"working" is putting it a bit harsh. Like I said earlier in the thread.. It's happened to me once.. and with all the VF5, Resistance, and Motorstorm I've been logging... it's not like it's a common occurrence... and the only reason I don't see it is because I'm a "casual" player. ;)

The details seem to be about the placement of the antenna circuitry rather than anything differing majorly in its characteristics (which is not to say that it won't solve the issues some folks are having), but having it maintain the original FCC info put into the original PS3's means it isn't a "drastic" change... Perhaps they're using different vendors for parts? I know where I work it's a big deal to the drawings and documents when we switch vendors for VME backplanes, even though they are considered "the same" as far as application goes..

*shrug* you never know... Sony's always reworking and remodeling their boxes... there have been so many PS2's and Playstation revisions I've lost count. (Granted, they're not all re-engineered... but enough to have a new model #)

[quote name='Mechafenris']"working" is putting it a bit harsh. Like I said earlier in the thread.. It's happened to me once.. and with all the VF5, Resistance, and Motorstorm I've been logging... it's not like it's a common occurrence... and the only reason I don't see it is because I'm a "casual" player. ;)[/QUOTE]
Well, you know what I mean. Better-working. And thats all well and good for you, but some people have it worse than others. And I'm not getting stuck with an unfixable bad one.

I wish they'd just switch to wired pads. I hate wireless, even though supposedly I'm the only one. At least on the 360 I could buy a wired pad and toss the wireless one (which does work, but it's annoying to swap batteries, and completely pointless since the wired one is plenty long for me and can be extended if it weren't).

[quote name='Wolfpup']I wish they'd just switch to wired pads. I hate wireless, even though supposedly I'm the only one. At least on the 360 I could buy a wired pad and toss the wireless one (which does work, but it's annoying to swap batteries, and completely pointless since the wired one is plenty long for me and can be extended if it weren't).[/quote]
i know this isn't what you mean, but the sixaxis controller does work perfectly when hooked up by usb cable, from what i've tested..

the most annoying part is that seperate sixaxis controllers you buy do not come with the usb cable (wtf sony?) Sure you can buy them separate, but it's a wtf move really...

[quote name='sunghost']i know this isn't what you mean, but the sixaxis controller does work perfectly when hooked up by usb cable, from what i've tested..[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I guess I should find a long regular -> mini USB cable for it if I get one...but I'm not really sure where or what to get.

well I found the main culprit for my de-syncing

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Z-5450-Digital-Speaker-970181-0403/dp/product-description/B000AM6QHO

My guess is this technology
The Logitech Z-5450 Digital system uses digital 2.4 GHz wireless technology, with adaptive frequency hopping, to minimize any chance of interference. Any potential performance problems due to interference are virtually eliminated due to the fact that the system intelligently sends redundant wireless transmissions to each rear satellite; if one data stream is lost, a second identical stream is captured. And the Logitech dual wireless speaker solution has very low latency, less than 20 milliseconds, which is imperceptible to the human ear.

Problem is, I know I had this issue even before I got those speakers. But once I deactivated those, the desyncing was cut down by a large amount.

Strangest part is they have never affected my 360 controllers... =(

[quote name='Zoglog']It just happens more often with these speakers, however it was happening before I got these speakers (about 70% as much)[/quote][quote name='Zoglog']
Problem is, I know I had this issue even before I got those speakers. But once I deactivated those, the desyncing was cut down by a large amount.[/QUOTE]
So wait, was the difference 30%, or "a large amount"?

[quote name='Wolfpup']I wish they'd just switch to wired pads. I hate wireless, even though supposedly I'm the only one. At least on the 360 I could buy a wired pad and toss the wireless one (which does work, but it's annoying to swap batteries, and completely pointless since the wired one is plenty long for me and can be extended if it weren't).[/QUOTE]

You're definately in the minority. I can't stand using wired controllers anymore. That's a huge step backward.

[quote name='Cyb3-rr']You're definately in the minority. I can't stand using wired controllers anymore. That's a huge step backward.[/QUOTE]

Why? How is using a cord a huge step backwards from having a heavier pad that you have to manage and charge all the time? Seems like a step forward to me.

The 360 controllers use a different set of frequencies than the bluetooth based PS3 controller, same for the Wiimotes.

In general, if you have any sort of connection problem, just make sure you disable all wireless (radio based) gadgets first. Then one by one turn them on and look for interference.

Sweet, this awesome feature of the PS3 controller just cost me a 20 minute or so perfect run in SSHD (Was on the boss of the 3rd planet). fucking awesome!

Granted I've only had my PS3 for maybe a month, I've never encountered this problem.

Well...that is until tonight. Within a 2-3 minute span while playing The Darkness it happened about 3 times.

Lame

Is everybody absolutely, positively sure that this isn't an interference issue? I mean soooo many devices are randomly sticking in wireless stuff now (and microwaves interfere too).

I heard something about Sony redesigning where the antenna in the system is, so maybe it's just interference combined with a weak antenna setup?

The Wii uses Bluetooth, and does not have a problem with this. And if it does, it isn't nearly as widespread. I'm really hoping this is what Sony is fixing with the 80GB model, but I can't for the life of me find out one way or the other. Someone call up their contacts at Sony.

I was reading on a random geek website, (the name escapes me now), that Wii's bluetooth isn't necessarily going to have the same issue as the Ps3, but that the testing so far has been that the Wiimote bluetooth is walking all over wireless LAN and can have a significant impact on the network connectivity if a person's taxing their wireless bandwidth.

It's more of a rant about the RF spectrum issues that will inevitably occur because of the more prevalent nature of all this in the "living room of the future". The Bluetooth/802.11 standards folks are trying their best to keep the signals as separate as possible, but you know how it is with RF. :)

Finally remembered the website (for those still reading)... heh.

http://www.edn.com/blog/1690000169/post/520006052.html

So, anyway... interesting. It's strangely like what people suspect the disconnects might be with the BT controllers for the PS3, in a different manifestation... but squarely the fault of the standards committees. :)

Damn I'm getting sick of this. I was playing Super Stardust HQ and the controller disconnected 3 times on one map. I have no idea how I didn't die when my ship went plowing straight ahead for 2 seconds each time but somehow it went through the middle of all the asteroids. It didn't used to be that bad, maybe its the wireless we just set up, but if that's actually causing interference that's BS. I'm just hoping it's an issue with the controller or firmware that Sony will fix soon and not the PS3 itself. Anybody else here sticking to playing wired only?

Having this happen during Stardust HD is indeed very, very frustrating. My controller disconnected me once and my ship plowed through all the asteroids. Miraculously, I survived, but I panic'd a bit while it de-synced so I kept pressing R2 (bomb) rapidly. Well, apparently all my commands were queued, so as soon as my controller re-synced, all 6 of my bombs went off sumultaneously.

Happened tonight to me while playing Motorstorm online. Surprised at how many people are experiencing these problems!

[quote name='svrasputin']It's weird. All 3 of my controllers used to do this, but none have done it in about 3 months...[/QUOTE]
Any change in your wireless usage?

bread's done
Back