Skylanders - Toys brought to life, Cross-platform Connectivity *Giants Out Now*

[quote name='Corvin']Activision? The company that rode Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk into oblivion and is trying to do the same with Call of Duty? That Activision? :lol: Skylanders will be dead in 3 years, tops. In the hands of another company, like Nintendo, it would be a permanent franchise, with a slow burn, for 20+ years.[/QUOTE]

so true. the problem here is that nintendo thinks long term (and with execs to match) while Activision execs are all about getting their bonuses NOW.

Oh well, as long as someone is making good games, I don't care who it is.

anyone know what the skylanders 3ds game trades in for at amazon, gamestop, or anywhere? Does it require the whole package. I see Best buy has the package for 39.99 but just wondering if the game trades in for anything decent cause i figure if i can get like 10 for the game and whatever for the portal it come down to basically the 8 a figure + taxes anyway going that route.

[quote name='anthonyd46']anyone know what the skylanders 3ds game trades in for at amazon, gamestop, or anywhere? Does it require the whole package. I see Best buy has the package for 39.99 but just wondering if the game trades in for anything decent cause i figure if i can get like 10 for the game and whatever for the portal it come down to basically the 8 a figure + taxes anyway going that route.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop doesn't take them. Amazon gives you $9.95 with everything included.

[quote name='elessar123']Gamestop doesn't take them. Amazon gives you $13-15.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, that's wrong. Amazon currently gives $9.95 but that's not the point. Without the extra stuff, Amazon will reject the item.

[quote name='confoosious']Sorry, that's wrong. Amazon currently gives $9.95 but that's not the point. Without the extra stuff, Amazon will reject the item.[/QUOTE]

ok well that sucks 40 is ok but if it was around 30 i would def bit without question and i looked on ebay the 3ds version is barely selling but might be able to scratch 16 for that and the portal to get back down to the magic 24 dollars i was trying for.

I think these price hikes are coming at exactly the wrong time - sales of these will start to tail off and only the new ones will sell for that much. If they had done it the day after Christmas they would have done well.

My 9 year old has been into the game pretty heavily but even he is starting to lose interest as nothing new comes out and the newest ones (Cynder in particular) are impossible to find. He still wants it, but isn't asking me about it every day and wanting to go to stores to check any more. I've also lost my interest in hunting them down. It was fun for a while but always seeing empty pegs (or 20 of the same "common" figure) got tiring after a while. The price hikes may be the nail in the coffin. My 4 year old still talks about it all the time but he mostly talks about Skylanders he's made up (his current favorite: "Icebert"). He is all into saying they are not out yet and will come out at Easter (since I told him one of the 3-packs is coming then). I think he fully expects his own creations to be on sale then - we'll see how that plays out ;).

Wait, are you saying Icebert isn't coming out? Cause I was really looking forward to that one. Very powerful in the water and icecream sectors.

[quote name='io']I think these price hikes are coming at exactly the wrong time - sales of these will start to tail off and only the new ones will sell for that much. If they had done it the day after Christmas they would have done well.
[/QUOTE]

Yep. Could kill any momentum they have going.

[quote name='confoosious']Wait, are you saying Icebert isn't coming out? Cause I was really looking forward to that one. Very powerful in the water and icecream sectors.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I'm waiting on the Legendary Icebert Special Edition, which I've heard will be exclusive to Kay Bee Toys.

Wait - breaking news, I'm getting more info on Icebert from the creator. He says it is actually called Prism Break Icebert, and he comes out "on Summer", and his power is that he "freezes Skylanders and fights nice Skylanders, actually". "He can fight a bad guy all by hisself and he won't die". "Actually, he trapped bad guys in his magic hard ice". "'Fireburn' is coming out when there's a fire in ours house". "Fireburn makes fire in the ground and they stick up and they burn bad guys and then run into it - you don't push any buttons it doos that all by itself". "And he makes starfishes". Oh, man, I can't keep up with this kid - the ideas are flowing a mile a minute!

Walmart has skylander singles priced at $8.96 now. Target will probably have their price increased as well within the week!! oh well. time to hunt for 3-packs now!!! (unless they start pricing them above $20 in the next couple of days when shipments to stores have arrived!)

OK, all i have to say is this is dumb:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skylanders-...319?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfe0fde57

and this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skylanders-...723?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfe0fdc03

another one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skylanders-...373?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfe0fdaa5

and one last one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skylanders-...237?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfe148d3d

People who bid on these things are so dumb. The guy has 0 feedback, been on ebay for 4 days. Think he is going to rip these people off? I also like how he says it is a preorder and they will be out in june....or september. I really think these people need banned.

145ade1c.jpg
TRU is finally getting their supply. Too bad I already have all 3 adventure packs! Hopefully next week they finally get 3packs

I was wondering if I could get some opinions. I have all three of the store exclusive releases sealed (legendary 3, whirlwind, drill sgt), but today I picked up the whirlwind/drill sgt/dbl trouble 3 pack. Should I keep the 3 pack, or is it more of a waste of $25 since I already have the individual ones?

On a side note, I had to laugh picking it up. I went to TRU around 10:30 today and there was one guy there in front of the display, standing in a way to try and block everything. He's frantically looking through the hooks of singles (all common w1 figs) and checking eBay on his smart phone. On the shelf directly in front of him was the one w/dt/ds 3pk and a handful of w1 3pks. I walked up, reached around him to grab the 3pk, then stepped back. He craned his head to see what I grabbed, typed on his phone, and then went through the rest of them. After awhile he made a disgruntled noise and walked away. :lol:

If your thinking of using them, il suggest just keep the 3 pack and return the 2 exclusives since there not really exclusives anymore. Plus I don't think it has any difference from the normal ones available at the other stores. Also you don't have to search for single double trouble anymore since its already in the pack. I usually just buy 3 packs since its the cheapest cost per character and you only have to search for 9 types of character packs and 4 adventure packs and 1 single.

[quote name='io']I think these price hikes are coming at exactly the wrong time - sales of these will start to tail off and only the new ones will sell for that much. If they had done it the day after Christmas they would have done well.[/QUOTE]

Idk, in my area these are still selling out everywhere within days. I've been to a TRU(this store had an especially MASSIVE amount), WM, BestBuy and Target pretty much the day they stocked them(the day before they had nothing)... Two days later I went out again, and all those stores are completely wiped out. I don't think the price hike will hurt anything, unfortunately, especially when people are willing to spend $40-100 per figure on ebay.

Picked up a single Hex today at Best Buy while I was there pricematching another game. It looked like they had a small restock, 2 other Wrecking Balls, a Bash and a Boomer. I'd like to have at least one of each element, still looking for a single Stealth Elf.

I'm sure everyone has seen it- but they announced the sequel today - Skylanders Giants. 16 new toys, 8 regular and 8 "Giant" toys. The Giants are both bigger irl and in the game.

They confirmed all existing figures will be usable in the new release and stats will carry over.

They also mentioned that there was going to be a more detailed announcement later in the day.

[quote name='nbballard']I'm sure everyone has seen it- but they announced the sequel today - Skylanders Giants. 16 new toys, 8 regular and 8 "Giant" toys. The Giants are both bigger irl and in the game.

They confirmed all existing figures will be usable in the new release and stats will carry over.

They also mentioned that there was going to be a more detailed announcement later in the day.[/QUOTE]
Wow, I'm glad that they were actually smart about this and decided to let the figures continue to be used in future releases. I wasn't expecting that to be the case.

Also I didn't want to say anything until it was delivered to me, but I was thrilled to find what I did. I was checking Amazon and I saw that there was a whole mess of 3DS versions of Skylanders being sold for ~$24 shipped. All of them said that their sets didn't include the figures, except for one posting that didn't say anything about it at all. I sent them an email and asked them if the figures were included, and they said "all accessories are included." At $23, I figured I'd take a chance; thinking that I could always ask for a discount when it turned out that all the accessories weren't included.

Well, it turned out that they were. The game, portal, cable, figures, cards, online codes, the poster, and everything else were all included in the original box. I paid more money for the Empire of Ice expansion pack than I paid for the whole 3DS starter set. :D

Some updates from the conference:
  • Autumn Release
  • New game will require a new portal that can support up to 2 of the giant figures
  • 12 Regular figures, 4 giants (from what it sounds like)
  • Giant figures will have "light up parts" which I'm assuming means they will use the same clear plastic stuff as the bases through the figure to make it look like it's glowing.
  • Toys R Us will have a timed exclusive on the next level pack starting in March
  • Toys R Us will also have the exclusive Legendary Trigger Happy and some sort of Iridescent Blue Bash.
  • Iphone app in development
  • New figures to have better intigration into web-based game.
Regarding the forward compatibility- I think it's going to be a bit of a mess for them when these come out and parents by them for their kids old games and they don't work.

Joystiq's also reporting we'll need a new Portal to handle the new characters. Looks like we'll all have to buy yet another starter pack. There's also reports that new figures will contain light-up elements. With the price of regular Skylanders creeping up to $9-$10, giant light-up versions could easily go for $15-$20. This could get expensive.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Joystiq's also reporting we'll need a new Portal to handle the new characters. Looks like we'll all have to buy yet another starter pack. There's also reports that new figures will contain light-up elements. With the price of regular Skylanders creeping up to $9-$10, giant light-up versions could easily go for $15-$20. This could get expensive.[/QUOTE]
I'm assuming the light up parts are just the type of plastic. They said that they didn't use batteries, and they also announced that blue Bash figure. I'm assuming it's an extention of that type of technology.

[quote name='nbballard']I'm assuming the light up parts are just the type of plastic. They said that they didn't use batteries, and they also announced that blue Bash figure. I'm assuming it's an extention of that type of technology.[/QUOTE]

It's weird. Most articles I've read on the lights specify that they light up when "on or near" the portal. They also mention they won't need batteries. Leaves me guessing how they light up when just near the portal. Don't see how they can really use the light coming from on top the portal. Maybe the lights are powered by whatever waves the portal uses? Or maybe I'm just reading too much into the word "near"...

Joystiq's now reporting that there won't be a new portal requirement. Hopefully they're right this time.

Maybe the portal is only required for the actual giant characters to fit side by side. I don't know. It'll be interesting to see the pricing and requirements once they spell it all out.

[quote name='DonWii']
My biggest hope is that they increase the level cap on the older figures and maybe add one new power through a Soul Gem. Or open up the secondary branching path.
[/QUOTE]

That would be cool if they could unlock that second branching path somehow.

[quote name='Corvin']That would be cool if they could unlock that second branching path somehow.[/QUOTE]

I really hope this will be done on the sequel. Just sucks that you have to choose one path and forgo the other one instead of having both to use at your disposal.

I bet activision was thinking that having 2 paths will force some hardcore players to buy another set of 32 figures just so they can have both types available for use without resetting the figure.

My understanding was 8 new and 8 giant, which would give each element a new figure and a giant.

[quote name='CAGkrazy']I really hope this will be done on the sequel. Just sucks that you have to choose one path and forgo the other one instead of having both to use at your disposal. [/QUOTE]

It wouldn't be so bad if they let you reallocate your money to try it the other way kinda like Borderlands, instead of making you wipe the character clean and starting over.

[quote name='kevgret']so Toys R US gets exclusives AND timed exclusives? and they get to charge more than other retailers?

nice.. real nice..[/QUOTE]

All other retailers have raised their prices as well.

[quote name='Corvin']It wouldn't be so bad if they let you reallocate your money to try it the other way kinda like Borderlands, instead of making you wipe the character clean and starting over.

All other retailers have raised their prices as well.[/QUOTE]

Not true.. I picked up a few adventure packs for $19.99 at best buy over the weekend.

I barely have any characters and they already announced a sequel? I guess that's one way to keep the money training rolling, perhaps "classic" figures will have a value boost by the time it comes out haha.

[quote name='kevgret']Not true.. I picked up a few adventure packs for $19.99 at best buy over the weekend.[/QUOTE]

3-packs and Adventure packs has retained their prices for all retailers ($19.99) except of course TRU ($24.99).

The individual character packs are the ones that have increase in value in all major retailers ($8.99) except game stop who matched TRUs price ($9.99).

Well hearing that a sequel is coming out is good news as I just picked up my 24th Skylander. I should be good for a while as my son only earns one per week as allowance.

[quote name='DonWii']Heard that they are releasing 24 classic figures in different poses and holding different weapons. Not sure how to feel about that yet.[/QUOTE]

Lol, good thing I didn't fall into their trap. That would have kinda pissed me off.

Wait.... fuck!

I'll hold off on judging the repeat figures until I get a chance to see some of them. I never went into this with the Pokemon attitude anyway, so as of right now it doesn't really bother me at all. I suspect that I'll probably just get additional figs for the characters I like the most.

Although, it's kind of a drag when it comes to the figures that I haven't been able to pick up yet. If I still haven't picked up Hex by the time they reveal a newer, better looking Hex figure then it's going to be an even longer and more painful wait. Of course, as long as people keep buying them there will always be Battle Armor He-Men, Powermaster Optimus Primes, Hooded Cobra Commanders, etc.

[quote name='DonWii']Heard that they are releasing 24 classic figures in different poses and holding different weapons. Not sure how to feel about that yet.
[/QUOTE]

Looks like a different Sonic Boom in one of your links.

I was at Kmart this morning for nba 2k12 (which of course they didn't have) but they did have some skylanders including the 3 pack that comes with drill sergeant and whirlwind. I had it on order from Amazon, but since they don't seem to be shipping it anytime soon Kmart got my money instead.
Single figures were still $7.99 and the triple packs were $19.99.

[quote name='anthonyd46']geez i went to the toysrus in white plains ny yesterday and they are now charging $11.49 for singles not like any were in stock but wow[/QUOTE]

I wonder how much they spent to get the exclusives from activision.. these things will go up even more when the giants come out because they will cost more to make..

[quote name='MeteoSparkZero']I finally managed to get a Drobot figurine at a Target. There were at least three.[/QUOTE]

Weird. I've seen about 200 Drobots in the past 2 weeks, because it's usually the only one available at stores here.

[quote name='kevgret']Amazon has a bunch of figures and pirate seas and dark light crypt in stock..[/QUOTE]

as of 1am its hex, boomer, dino-rang, zap, eruptor, wrecking ball

no cynder of course

bread's done
Back