Skylanders - Toys brought to life, Cross-platform Connectivity *Giants Out Now*

Picked up a couple Cynders at Wal-Mart yesterday for co-workers. They had about 5-6 of them along with a few each of Double Trouble, Drill S., Whirlwind, Chop Chop & Flameslinger.

I'm so addicted that despite having all of them released so far, I'm hunting them down for friends. :lol:

[quote name='anthonyd46']as of 1am its hex, boomer, dino-rang, zap, eruptor, wrecking ball

no cynder of course[/QUOTE]
Thanks for mentioning this. I was able to pick up a Hex figure, which I haven't seen in any stores since before Christmas.

I was also curious what my sealed version of Stealth Elf was going for since I have an extra (the vast majority of ones I've seen are ones pulled out of 3 packs or the 3DS starter) and I came across this review/comments. I've said it before, and I'll say it again; you can always tell who has and who has not collected toys before.

http://www.amazon.com/review/RW78GN...games&cdThread=Tx319BL0SV4GJYC#wasThisHelpful

[quote name='anthonyd46']as of 1am its hex, boomer, dino-rang, zap, eruptor, wrecking ball

no cynder of course[/QUOTE]

Saw 2 Cynders at my Best Buy last night, surprising. I had one already so I left them there, will be a nice find for $8 hopefully for someone who is going to keep it.

[quote name='Corvin']Picked up a couple Cynders at Wal-Mart yesterday for co-workers. They had about 5-6 of them along with a few each of Double Trouble, Drill S., Whirlwind, Chop Chop & Flameslinger.

I'm so addicted that despite having all of them released so far, I'm hunting them down for friends. :lol:[/QUOTE]

The closest walmart to me is about 15 miles away so its not somewhere i can check daily i think ive been there 3 times in the last 3 weeks and its been clean all 3 times.

[quote name='DonWii']JIC, trailer link and some info.
http://www.vooks.net/story-20685-Skylanders-gets-a-Giant-Sized-Sequel-.html

My biggest hope is that they increase the level cap on the older figures and maybe add one new power through a Soul Gem. Or open up the secondary branching path.

Hope the Giant figures don't cost twice as much.[/QUOTE]

I'm bracing myself for them being $20 each...

[quote name='roger watersmelon']Also I didn't want to say anything until it was delivered to me, but I was thrilled to find what I did. I was checking Amazon and I saw that there was a whole mess of 3DS versions of Skylanders being sold for ~$24 shipped. All of them said that their sets didn't include the figures, except for one posting that didn't say anything about it at all. I sent them an email and asked them if the figures were included, and they said "all accessories are included." At $23, I figured I'd take a chance; thinking that I could always ask for a discount when it turned out that all the accessories weren't included.

Well, it turned out that they were. The game, portal, cable, figures, cards, online codes, the poster, and everything else were all included in the original box. I paid more money for the Empire of Ice expansion pack than I paid for the whole 3DS starter set. :D[/QUOTE]

I don't know why a seller would give you all that for $23 shipped. They are getting hit with Amazon fees of about $5. Then they must have shipped via Priority for about $6 if not more (would be over 1 pound with all that in the original box). That's just stupid - but good for you I guess ;). I actually sold one of the figure-less 3DS sets on Amazon myself. I wanted the extra figs for my kids but of course didn't need another game/portal. It was barely worth even doing that. After shipping/fees I cleared about $9 for the game+portal. That's just ridiculous. Your seller must have cleared about $4. That's not good on a $69.99 set (even if they got it for $39.99 at Best Buy last week).

[quote name='nbballard']Some updates from the conference:
  • Autumn Release
  • New game will require a new portal that can support up to 2 of the giant figures
  • 12 Regular figures, 4 giants (from what it sounds like)
  • Giant figures will have "light up parts" which I'm assuming means they will use the same clear plastic stuff as the bases through the figure to make it look like it's glowing.
  • Toys R Us will have a timed exclusive on the next level pack starting in March
  • Toys R Us will also have the exclusive Legendary Trigger Happy and some sort of Iridescent Blue Bash.
  • Iphone app in development
  • New figures to have better intigration into web-based game.
Regarding the forward compatibility- I think it's going to be a bit of a mess for them when these come out and parents by them for their kids old games and they don't work.[/QUOTE]

TRU is getting a timed exclusive on the Sunburn adventure pack!? fucking A! Not only is TRU expensive, they are inconvenient (far away from me, and very few locations compared to Best Buy/Target/Gamestop), and hard to find things at. They need to stop giving TRU these damn exclusives. And I see there are more there that I will probably never get either. Argh!

At least I'm glad none of this is Walmart-exclusive. That is the only other major store that would be less convenient than TRU. I know this is not true most places, but there are very few Walmarts where I live. I don't like going there anyway but it isn't even easy (far away, not near anything else, etc).

[quote name='ZForce915']I found a Cynder today, how rare is this thing? Should I be unloading it on eBay while I can?[/QUOTE]

If you don't want it give it to somebody here. I'm sure you won't get any love in this thread considering how many people are having trouble finding it.

[quote name='skiizim']If you don't want it give it to somebody here. I'm sure you won't get any love in this thread considering how many people are having trouble finding it.[/QUOTE]

Cynder is so hard to find that I have no problem with anyone selling it on ebay. It'll pay for more skylanders. My lack of love is the fact that he can't just go on ebay and look up how much they're going for himself.

[quote name='skiizim']If you don't want it give it to somebody here. I'm sure you won't get any love in this thread considering how many people are having trouble finding it.[/QUOTE]

I'll see if I can use it to pay for the Flameslinger I bought for myself. Eruptor isn't that fun to play with so I wanted to get another Fire character. Really I just want to have one of each and I'm not out to collect the whole set.

If I can use Cynder to pay for the one I keep and end up getting that for free then I win!

I almost never mind reselling, except in large quantities. One or two, who cares. Five, and you're tipping over.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='elessar123']I almost never mind reselling, except in large quantities. One or two, who cares. Give, and you're tipping over.[/QUOTE]

agreed find one or two and want to sell sure find 20 and buy them for the sake of selling thats a little much my friend in south dakota found a legendary pack today and has been very broke lately cause he got cut hours at his job he would be stupid not to sell it

I don't care what he does, all I was trying to say is some people might be sensitive about it, you guys know how this site gets at times.

I was at Target today, and although the racks were empty, I saw a price sticker of 8.99 on them. Anyone else confirming seeing this?

$8.99 is the new $7.99 ;).

This happened last weekend even at Fred Meyer (a chain specific to the NW). They were $7.99 on Saturday, then $8.99 on Sunday. I think this hike came from Activision.

[quote name='io']I don't know why a seller would give you all that for $23 shipped. They are getting hit with Amazon fees of about $5. Then they must have shipped via Priority for about $6 if not more (would be over 1 pound with all that in the original box). That's just stupid - but good for you I guess ;). I actually sold one of the figure-less 3DS sets on Amazon myself. I wanted the extra figs for my kids but of course didn't need another game/portal. It was barely worth even doing that. After shipping/fees I cleared about $9 for the game+portal. That's just ridiculous. Your seller must have cleared about $4. That's not good on a $69.99 set (even if they got it for $39.99 at Best Buy last week).[/QUOTE]
I was wondering the same thing, but I certainly wasn't going to complain about it ;) The only thing that makes any sense to me is that they had this thing they knew nothing about, and did a cursory check on Amazon to see what the going price was. They saw a bunch of listings at $20 and figured that must be the going rate for them (without taking the time to read the descriptions for each listing).

I was at Wal-Mart yesterday and they had about 6 Cynders on the shelf (along with several Whirlwinds, Double Troubles, and Drill Sgts. on individual cards). I picked up one, even though I like the Skylanders Giants version they showed at the convention better.

Also, if anybody's interested I saw that Toys R Us will be restocking the Legendary 3 Packs at the end of next week.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...tal-masters-beginning-in-march-139088894.html

That's bullshit. I had one on order that they canceled and would have stayed alive by the time these were re-released to ship. Now I have to hunt them down. BS.

My local Walmart had quite a bit in stock. I picked up a Cynder single and a Whirlwind, Double Trouble, Drill Sergeant triple pack.

That's nice and all, but without it being online with a store pickup option there's no way I'll ever be able to get any of this "limited" restock. They'll all be snapped up by the first person that sees them early in the morning on the first (and probably only) day they get them. It isn't worth driving 20 miles each way just to check TRU for the very slight possibility of the priviledge of overpaying ($25) for this set.

Same for that Legendary Trigger Happy and blue Bash. If they are going to make more TRU exclusives they might as well not even bother announcing them as they will be obtained by so few people. I mean, why not at least Target exclusives? There are like 5-10 Targets for every TRU it seems.

The Legendary pack is indeed out already. Grabbed one this morning. Meanwhile some bitch was buying 10 of them. :roll:

Toys R Us won't hold them if you call, but they'll let one person wipe out their entire stock? Makes sense to me.

Geat. And my wife even stopped in a TRU today on her way to something else. She said they had lots of Skylanders but no Legendary pack. Who knows if they were there this morning or not.

I heard that they received it yesterday and were selling them on that day as well. They rised the price up to $24.99 for the tlegendary pack and other 3 packs as well.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Been lucky to find all of the older ones even though my kids didn't jump on this bandwagon till after Christmas. The Legendary 3-pack is/are the only they are missing. I'm took of tomorrow cause they don't have school. Hope to score them for them tomorrow.

I wouldn't worry, now that they've seemingly put the Legendary pack back into production they're gonna absolutely flood the market with them.

^ I dunno... They said it was only going to be available for a limited time. I assumed one shipment and that was it. But maybe it will be a few shipments at least.

[quote name='blueweltall']Legendary are instock for those who are looking

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11953046[/QUOTE]

I can't believe I fucking misses this :bomb:. I was up all night and on and off the computer (some work, some checking gamefaqs for FF XIII-2). You made this post just after midnight Pacific and I was up till 5am and still missed it. I can't believe it #-o.

I'm also angry at TRU because a month or two back I signed up for email notification for when this came back in stock. But then they removed it entirely from the site and it was still gone last time I checked last week. Now, all of a sudden, they relist it but they don't honor the email notifications (I would have seen that)!? fuck 'em.

[quote name='io']

I'm also angry at TRU because a month or two back I signed up for email notification for when this came back in stock. But then they removed it entirely from the site and it was still gone last time I checked last week. Now, all of a sudden, they relist it but they don't honor the email notifications (I would have seen that)!? fuck 'em.[/QUOTE]

I never received a notification either. I really hope this and the packs stores received last Friday/Saturday weren't the entirety of the shipment that was supposed to be available 2/17 according to the TRU press release.

Edit: Looks like they were just in stock again for a few minutes but OOS again.

^ Are you kidding me? Once again no notification despite putting in yet another email request today.

My wife just watched it come back in stock right now but when added to the cart it says "The following item: Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Character 3-Pack - Legendary has limited inventory. We've adjusted the quantity below to reflect the number we have available.". It "adjusted" it from 1 to 0.

They seriously need to put a limit on these. I think they come back and someone orders 1000 and just gets whatever they have left all in one order.

[quote name='io']^ Are you kidding me? Once again no notification despite putting in yet another email request today.[/QUOTE]

In stock right now!

damn, must have missed it - it says
"The following item: Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Character 3-Pack - Legendary has limited inventory. We've adjusted the quantity below to reflect the number we have available. "

then leaves me with 0.

I found Legendary Packs in-store this morning. I was there as soon as the store opened and another person was there for the same reason. I saw her grab 1 Legendary pack and so did 1 employee who hid it behind the counter.

Good luck to those who are still looking for it.

I got it for my son's Birthday (this weekend) to complete his collection. Thing is, I got too excited that I forgot to even look if they have Cynder. I guess my brain turned to mush as soon as I saw they have Legendary packs in stock. The plan was to get Cynder in a triple pack later but then the greedy thought, of getting literally everything that are out now, came to mind as soon as I got in the car. I may need to see a shrink before those Giants come.

Today's a really good day - my First Edition Bundle PS Vita will be in my door step this afternoon... can't wait.

Luckily one of my favorite cashiers that I talk to alot at walmart started working in electronics. Went in today, and asked her when they stocked. She said they do every night, and I told her I was looking for skylanders, especially cynder. She opened a box behind the counter and handed me one. Said they were just about to put them out. So score :D

I got the Legendary pack today at a TRU that told me last night they would have them in the morning. It was a bit of a drive, but worth it to be done with it and not have to think about tracking them down any more. Now I'm glad I didn't find it in stock online because shipping probably would have been $7 or something. It appears they got a ton as they still had 3-4 unopened boxes of Legendaries behind the counter. I was there around 11:30 and the guy said only a few people had been in to buy them before that.

So now we are finally at nearly 100% for the currently-released characters. The only one we don't have is Ignitor. We had him for a day (so the kids could add him to their games) but then I sold him and the loose Stealth Elf (which we already had) from a 3DS pack so we could keep the Dark Spyro essentially for free. Since Ignitor will be out in a 3-pack later I figured I'd let the impatient eBay masses have him while we took our time ;).

Really fascinating insight into the toy making process by jkanownik, so thanks for sharing that in the other 'deals' thread. Would have posted there, but io wants us to move the party over here ;-)

Alright, since he may not see read the other thread again I took the liberty of copying his post here:

[quote name='jkanownik']
I worked in the toys industry for a long time. Usually the bottleneck in production was the injection molding tooling required to make the toys. There is a certain cycle time that dictates a maximum number of toys you can make a day. Basically you have to shoot in hot plastic, wait for it to cool and then remove it. It usually takes 30-60 a cycle.

It can take six month from the time you approve additional capacity to the time product shows up in stores. You have to cut a PO for new tooling, wait in line for the tooling to be manufactured (which can take months), ship the tooling to the manufacturing facility, test the new tooling and slowly ramp up production. Then you still have to ship the product across the ocean and also ship to stores once it hits the US. This time of year you also have to wait for the two week shut down for Chinese New Year which also creates a backlog when things come back online.

Most hot toys would start out hot in September and you'd cut a PO for new tooling then and hope it was online before Chinese NY in February. Shift that timeline to December when Skylanders started to run out and realistically April is the earliest you would possibly see product coming from additional capacity.

I have no idea if that is the case here, but 95% of the time in my experience when there was a prolonged shortage it was tooling capacity related. There are other things can be done in the meantime to expedite product coming in and squeeze out every bit of capacity, but it doesn't dramatically change things. You can be busting your ass on the production side to get everything in as quickly as possible and there is little difference from a consumer standpoint in stores. [/quote]

Thanks for posting that io. People who complain about "artificial shortages" are just so insane. A company never wants to leave money on the table or give money to resellers. It used to crack me up when people complained about how Nintendo was holding back wii inventory like it was a business strategy.

Yes, because every company's strategy involves letting ebay resellers mark up their hard to find items.

thanks to the OP for the character listing. I sat down after school yesterday with my 7 year old and asked him to pick out 1 of each element that we don't have (we only have the PS3 starter and Voodood) - of course he picked out 2 of the "currently unavailable" - Sunburn and Warnado. Guess I'll have him pick out some others this afternoon.
Would it be possible for someone to list the triple packs on the front page along with the individual characters? It seems like there are 5 triple packs but only 1 has 3 elements that aren't in the Starter kit - Eruptor, Chop Chop and Bash - which is kind of scummy on their part. GS doesn't even list that pack, they only have the other 4. Walmart only lists 2 of the 5. This whole thing is getting ridiculous.

Here's my listing of the 5 3 packs if anybody wants a quick reference (which I suppose is somewhere in the preceding 22 pages, only read a handful myself):

Triple Packs
Eruptor Chop Chop Bash – Fire Undead Earth
Drobot Flameslinger Stump Smash – Tech Fire Life
Prism Break Boomer Voodood – Earth Tech Magic
Wrecking Ball Stealth Elf Sonic Boom – magic Life wind
Zap Hex Dino-Rang – water Undead Earth

[quote name='confoosious']Thanks for posting that io. People who complain about "artificial shortages" are just so insane. A company never wants to leave money on the table or give money to resellers. It used to crack me up when people complained about how Nintendo was holding back wii inventory like it was a business strategy.

Yes, because every company's strategy involves letting ebay resellers mark up their hard to find items.[/QUOTE]
Not to get us too far off topic, but isn't that more or less what Atlus does? Their official line is that they cater to the smaller market of their games. That they'd prefer to release a small number of a title, rather than have a surplus on shelves that would be subject to repeated markdowns.

At the end of the day though, they're just creating a built-in shortage for all of their games. Sure it's not their goal, but for every successful game they have they end up being the ones that caused the shortage because of those low numbers. This lasts until the time that they do a reprint, or until they increase manufacturing numbers for games that haven't gone out of print yet. In every instance, there's a window for the secondary market to inflate its prices, increasing the demand for a product being sold at MSRP. You'll have a hard time convincing me that they don't factor in the secondary market value for research on which games have enough demand to warrant a reprint as well.

The practice doesn't make them evil, but it doesn't change that it exists.

I added in the Gold/Silver/Toy Fair figures to the OP. For the Gold/Silver figs, I stole pics from eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RARE-...244?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item416244fb84 - plug for this auction, not mine... wonder what it'll go for though). The Toy Fair Cynder is a pic taken by a friend of mine of the one he's sending me. :D

*edit* - also added a picture of the Volcanic Vault. I put it on the Portal next to a figure to help give an idea of how small it actually is... all the pictures I've seen of it really don't show that very well.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I wouldn't worry, now that they've seemingly put the Legendary pack back into production they're gonna absolutely flood the market with them.[/QUOTE]

This is true, mine has been absolutely flooded with these packs. A good 18+ were on the shelves yesterday, mid day and had been there all morning. That was on top of at least 1 (maybe 2) shipments earlier in the week. The prices on Ebay have plummeted with the massive number of auctions. They may eventually dry up, but if you want it, and keep an eye out you will most likely find it, without resorting to Ebay gougers. And even if you do because you don't have a convenient ToysRUs, the influx of hundreds of auctions has driven the prices down to almost retail levels. I have to admit I find it funny all of the auctions that say RARE or VHTF, yet there are close to 400 other people selling the exact same thing.

The gold and silver (and purple glitter) ones are for collectors, as they have no special in game effects, but these legendaries are treated seperately in all versions, so I doubt they were intended to be rare. I'm glad they did those as a tip of the hat to the collectors, yet seem to be actively trying to get the normal ones and legendaries into the hands of the kids that just want to play with them. It's the best of both worlds.

bread's done
Back