Skylanders - Toys brought to life, Cross-platform Connectivity *Giants Out Now*

Went to toys R us today, they had 10 or so Dragon's Peak packs, 3-5 of the older three packs, and honestly like 30 legendary trigger happy's. Target had a few misc singles (including the stealth elf i was looking for)

So, yeah, tried to cancel my online order for Dragon's Peak and of course, even though it hasn't shipped yet, they are unable to cancel it. Stupid TRU. If I were supreme ruler I'd make exclusives for them a capital offense :bomb:.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='io']So, yeah, tried to cancel my online order for Dragon's Peak and of course, even though it hasn't shipped yet, they are unable to cancel it. Stupid TRU. If I were supreme ruler I'd make exclusives for them a capital offence :bomb:.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much what I would expect from TRU upper management. And now it will sit in "Items located in stock" for three days even though they indicate it can't be cancelled :roll:. I ordered one half expecting my store to not take the reserves they did on it last Thursday seriously and start selling it to whomever early. Turns out the manager of my store apparently really takes this REALLY seriously and they had them locked in a cage in the back with a cover over it so no "mistakes" were made. When you showed up they required ID for the reserves and had them all in a special line (not on the wall) so they could keep tabs and enforce the 1 per day per item policy. Same with individual singles, which were binned per type.

So it turns out I had an extra, which I was going to cancel, but the kid down the street is a big fan and good friends with my son, so he gets it for his birthday.

[quote name='io']So, yeah, tried to cancel my online order for Dragon's Peak and of course, even though it hasn't shipped yet, they are unable to cancel it. Stupid TRU. If I were supreme ruler I'd make exclusives for them a capital offence :bomb:.[/QUOTE]

What's even worse is that you can't return online purchases to a TRU store and receive a refund. They will only give you merchandise credit. The only way to get a refund is to ship it back, and in that case, you lose out on the shipping cost both ways. In the end, you might as well keep it as an extra, flip it, or make someone very happy with a gift.

Bought two of those Stanley organizers from Lowes tonight...ingenious idea and use of the stickers. Much needed when you have a 5 and 2 yr old playing with the things.

Just came back from K-Mart, they're having a B1G1 half off sale on Skylanders singles and they're one of the last places to only charge $7.99 for each single, so if you have one near you, you might want to check it out.

@io: Since you can't cancel it, you might want to at least ask them to give you a $5 gift card since you would have received it if you purchased it in store.

[quote name='winterlane']What's even worse is that you can't return online purchases to a TRU store and receive a refund. They will only give you merchandise credit. The only way to get a refund is to ship it back, and in that case, you lose out on the shipping cost both ways. In the end, you might as well keep it as an extra, flip it, or make someone very happy with a gift.[/QUOTE]

Not true anymore. New policy on online returns now will refund to whatever form of payment was made. You will need the credit card that you used to purchase to get the credit back onto it.

[quote name='OrangeArmy']I can't wait for the hoarders, resellers and johnny-quick-bucks to start losing money on these things.[/QUOTE]

You must not be a reseller.

Resellers don't really lose money. At least, the semi-competent ones don't. Set the starting price of the auction + shipping to cover the purchase price of the merchandise + your fees and maybe a little bonus.

If it sells with just one bid, you break even, no harm done.
With two or more bids, you make money.

With Zero bids, you can relist or, if close to the in-store return policy, just return it for 100% of your money back.

Short of listing fees and their time, resellers got it pretty good.

[quote name='UncleBob']You must not be a reseller.

Resellers don't really lose money. At least, the semi-competent ones don't. Set the starting price of the auction + shipping to cover the purchase price of the merchandise + your fees and maybe a little bonus.

If it sells with just one bid, you break even, no harm done.
With two or more bids, you make money.

With Zero bids, you can relist or, if close to the in-store return policy, just return it for 100% of your money back.

Short of listing fees and their time, resellers got it pretty good.[/QUOTE]
Damn, that actually makes sense; in-store returns never occurred to me. In that case I hope they all break even except using up their time and gas and have to deal with a bunch of crappy buyers. And I hope they all get face cancer.

I went to target for the b2g1 sale and struck out on games. They did have zook, lightning rod, and ignitor just sitting there! Unbelievable!

[quote name='sykotek']Just came back from K-Mart, they're having a B1G1 half off sale on Skylanders singles and they're one of the last places to only charge $7.99 for each single, so if you have one near you, you might want to check it out.

@io: Since you can't cancel it, you might want to at least ask them to give you a $5 gift card since you would have received it if you purchased it in store.[/QUOTE]

Was about to post this. They had Whirlwind, Drobot, Stump Smash, and another. Might have been Ignitor. I just know I had them all, so I didn't bother.

They had Terrafin, but I didn't pick that up either.

I was there to check Lego clearance, which I didn't find.

Oh, and Zelda 3DS was $30 =P

[quote name='winterlane']What's even worse is that you can't return online purchases to a TRU store and receive a refund. They will only give you merchandise credit. The only way to get a refund is to ship it back, and in that case, you lose out on the shipping cost both ways. In the end, you might as well keep it as an extra, flip it, or make someone very happy with a gift.[/QUOTE]

I actually called to cancel my order this morning and the customer service rep told me I'd get a full refund including shipping. I'm just re-iterating what she told me, though. Whether or not I believe her is another story.

[quote name='sykotek']@io: Since you can't cancel it, you might want to at least ask them to give you a $5 gift card since you would have received it if you purchased it in store.[/QUOTE]

D'oh! I completely forgot about that. I should definitely do that.

[quote name='TheShepherdSauce']I actually called to cancel my order this morning and the customer service rep told me I'd get a full refund including shipping. I'm just re-iterating what she told me, though. Whether or not I believe her is another story.[/QUOTE]

They told me the same thing - full refund including shipping. I thought I'd be out the shipping.

And Target has Ignitor? Now I want to head up there. But I haven't seen a Skylander on the pegs at Target in months. Every time I go in there (at least once or twice a week) it is completely barren. Even if they did get some this morning, the probably sold out of anything new.

[quote name='OrangeArmy']Damn, that actually makes sense; in-store returns never occurred to me. In that case I hope they all break even except using up their time and gas and have to deal with a bunch of crappy buyers. And I hope they all get face cancer.[/QUOTE]

The only way you break even in that circumstance is if you consider your own time to have no value. Some may not, but if you go to all the trouble and can only turn a dollar or so then you have essentially come out at a loss, especially factoring in gas these days.

What I am wondering is all those that have it set up at 99 cents or so, what do they have some reserve price or something to ensure they don't sell at a loss?

[quote name='defpally']The only way you break even in that circumstance is if you consider your own time to have no value. Some may not, but if you go to all the trouble and can only turn a dollar or so then you have essentially come out at a loss, especially factoring in gas these days.

What I am wondering is all those that have it set up at 99 cents or so, what do they have some reserve price or something to ensure they don't sell at a loss?[/QUOTE]

It doesn't look like any one's losing money yet but a lot of auctions are ending within $10 of MSRP now and there's a lot more of them.

I saw two sunburns today, ending within 6 minutes of each other. The one ending sooner was started at $49.00 with a bin of $59.00 and had zero bids. The second was a 99 cent auction ending about 6 minutes later that had reached $64.00. Shipping was about the same, $22.00 or so for each. It's almost like people are spiteful of the sellers who don't let the market work naturally and are perceived to be gouging. 99 cent autions are also more likely to end up on buyers watch lists.

[quote name='OrangeArmy']It doesn't look like any one's losing money yet but a lot of auctions are ending within $10 of MSRP now and there's a lot more of them.

I saw two sunburns today, ending within 6 minutes of each other. The one ending sooner was started at $49.00 with a bin of $59.00 and had zero bids. The second was a 99 cent auction ending about 6 minutes later that had reached $64.00. Shipping was about the same, $22.00 or so for each. It's almost like people are spiteful of the sellers who don't let the market work naturally and are perceived to be gouging. 99 cent autions are also more likely to end up on buyers watch lists.[/QUOTE]

The prices are all over the place.
It's possible some sell higher because they ship worldwide . And it might be the only way people can get them who live overseas.

I just took a look at dragon's peak

last 10 auctions ending are all around 29-39 dollars some with free shipping.
2 of them ended at 29.99 (average price seems to be 35.00)

So a person buys it for 24.99+tax lets say 27.00 total. and sells it for 29.99 on ebay.. after fees they come out losing money. except they got a free 5dollar gift card.

so it looks something like if the end price is
29.99 reseller makes 5dollar giftcard.
39.99 = 9dollars +5dolar giftcard.

Not worth the trouble imo.

The singles on the other hand are a lot higher.
average for lignting rod is 33.00 and around 29 for zook.

Anybody know how the hidden treasure that comes with the Pirate Seas adventure pack works? The game keeps telling me it's "out of power" or something like that.

P.S. I have the ps3 version if it matters.

[quote name='TheShepherdSauce']Anybody know how the hidden treasure that comes with the Pirate Seas adventure pack works? The game keeps telling me it's "out of power" or something like that.

P.S. I have the ps3 version if it matters.[/QUOTE]

I think it detects nearby treasure, if you have them all in the level then it can't be used.

[quote name='TheShepherdSauce']Anybody know how the hidden treasure that comes with the Pirate Seas adventure pack works? The game keeps telling me it's "out of power" or something like that.

P.S. I have the ps3 version if it matters.[/QUOTE]
The treasure chest adds 1 secret treasure chest to each of the levels. You can only find it if you have the power-up. Little colored rings show up around it to indicate if you are close.

In the main hub, it will tell you that it's out of power, because there aren't any treasures in the hub.

there was some discussion on a deal thread about this but I can't find it.

if I use dragons peak, i can then sell it and it'll stay in my saved game file? How long do I have to play through the level before it "sticks?" Will it write to the figure's RFID? I don't want to sell it if it's "used."

[quote name='confoosious']there was some discussion on a deal thread about this but I can't find it.

if I use dragons peak, i can then sell it and it'll stay in my saved game file? How long do I have to play through the level before it "sticks?" Will it write to the figure's RFID? I don't want to sell it if it's "used."[/QUOTE]

Once you place any of the bonus levels they are unlocked forever. You simply have to find the level on the map and enter it and you should be good to go.

No need to sell either, you could do this while it's still in the package if that's all you are wanting.

Yea- the only reason to keep them around is that each of the level pieces has a built in power you can activate. Like if you put the Pirate Ship on the portal during a level, cannonballs rain from the sky. So in theory, you could just drop all 4 of them on the stand 1 after the other, and the pirate ghosts, and anvil rain, etc, etc and decimate the bosses.

[quote name='nbballard']Yea- the only reason to keep them around is that each of the level pieces has a built in power you can activate. Like if you put the Pirate Ship on the portal during a level, cannonballs rain from the sky. So in theory, you could just drop all 4 of them on the stand 1 after the other, and the pirate ghosts, and anvil rain, etc, etc and decimate the bosses.[/QUOTE]

:whee:

I didn't know that! I'm going to try that the next time I fire this up.

I posted in the other thread but figured I should post it here too. I've been to two different walmarts between yestrday and today. Both were stacked with singles and 3 packs (not the new 3 pack though or adventure packs). Thought I'd throw it out there for anyone that'll be near a walmart.

a skylander iphone game comes out tonight. It's totally different gameplay then the console versions and there arent many details about what it actually is. I think its some kind of simple arcade shooter.

Showed up at EBgames at 11:30am just when the girl was unpacking a box with 2 prism break 3 packs and 2 slam bams, so I finally got slam bam and for only $20.99! Whoo hoo!

Hit the jackpot tonight at Wal-Mart:

86db8348.jpg

Nice. I have yet to find one of those displays. I'm only sticking to the triple packs though...cheaper in the long run and I've managed to pick up all but 7 skylanders that are currently available (at msrp to boot) since starting this two weeks ago. Wife said "you're spending a small fortune on these", I knew that was coming at done point[quote name='Corvin']Hit the jackpot tonight at Wal-Mart:

86db8348.jpg
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Corvin']Hit the jackpot tonight at Wal-Mart:

[/QUOTE]

Impressive. I haven't seen these displays at Walmart yet either. If anything, it seems like the area dedicated to the figures is slowly shrinking at the Walmarts in my area. Was this located in the aisle just outside the actual Electronics area proper, where they usually have free-standing value bins of music, DVDs, seasonal items, etc.? Some have reported finding figures in the toys section, as well, so it looks like there are now 2-3 locations to check in the stores.

It was on an endcap facing the tv wall. They also had full racks of figs in the standard location near the portal/monitor setup.

[quote name='Corvin']Hit the jackpot tonight at Wal-Mart:

86db8348.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Holy crap, my Walmart still has none in stock. Only need the 3 new ones. Wish someone here would hurry up and get them I stock.

From what I've read at work today, Best Buy is gonna be giving out the Volcanic Vault with $25 purchase of skylanders around the week of April 22 (or 29, possibly).

so has the bubble popped? I may pickup figures if places had them in stock.

last I saw Target had them for $8.99 a figure and some Best Buy's $7.99 / $8.99 / $9.99 (all near each other).

[quote name='Gamer SDP']so has the bubble popped? I may pickup figures if places had them in stock.

last I saw Target had them for $8.99 a figure and some Best Buy's $7.99 / $8.99 / $9.99 (all near each other).[/QUOTE]

I've found a lot of places that have them in stock, but none of the 3 new ones.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']I've found a lot of places that have them in stock, but none of the 3 new ones.[/QUOTE]

That's expected, they have only been out a week. I think TRU's event caused a temporary extension to the bubble, but ever since that happened Skylanders have been showing up everywhere. My Target has been dry like forever, and I found a bunch there this weekend, including Adventure Packs. Walmart had a decent selection as well.

It's like they all held up the shipments and unleashed three week's worth at every store at the same time. Maybe that was their goal, to drown out the resellers. Resellers are really not in Activision's best interests - while they do generate sales, they also generate frustration. Frustrated parents and kids move on to the next big thing. There are only so many times little Johnny can go into Toys R Us and see an empty shelf before he says, hey let's go look at the Hot Wheels instead. There is only so many times a parent can get into work late because they were camping out the entrance of a store when a shipment is due. Activision needs to keep the excitement rolling until Giants this Fall.

[quote name='defpally'] Resellers are really not in Activision's best interests - while they do generate sales, they also generate frustration. Frustrated parents and kids move on to the next big thing. [/QUOTE]

I don't quite agree with that. With any big hard to find item recently I don't think they would be as big except for the reselling and hoarding. I don't think the Wii would've been as big as it was except for being unable to get them. You always want what you can't have - and if someone could easily have walked into any store and pick one up for 250 + tax then I don't think it would've been as a big. Same thing with the beanie babies and with Pokemon. The reselling, hoarding, waiting in line, etc. whips people up into a frenzy.

I think as long as these keep seeming to trickle out (even though they are really making a buttload of them, just not enough) people will be continue to be crazy with them. Eventually folks will lose interest, and that is when they can try the Giants or whatever.

Kind of like how Black Friday people will buy tons of crap they don't need or don't want. Just because they can, and if they don't the next person will. People get a sick materialistic high from getting some hard to get thing along with some sick satisfaction of knowing you got something that the next person would've got, but now they can't. It is like you won and they lost.

A little Simpsons too...
Lisa: Dad, do you know what Schadenfreude is?
Homer: No, I do not know what shaden-frawde is. [sarcasm] Please tell me, because I'm dying to know.
Lisa: It's a German term for `shameful joy', taking pleasure in the suffering of others.
Homer: Oh, come on Lisa. I'm just glad to see him fall flat on his butt!

[quote name='Dokstarr']I don't quite agree with that. With any big hard to find item recently I don't think they would be as big except for the reselling and hoarding. I don't think the Wii would've been as big as it was except for being unable to get them. You always want what you can't have - and if someone could easily have walked into any store and pick one up for 250 + tax then I don't think it would've been as a big. Same thing with the beanie babies and with Pokemon. The reselling, hoarding, waiting in line, etc. whips people up into a frenzy.

I think as long as these keep seeming to trickle out (even though they are really making a buttload of them, just not enough) people will be continue to be crazy with them. Eventually folks will lose interest, and that is when they can try the Giants or whatever.

Kind of like how Black Friday people will buy tons of crap they don't need or don't want. Just because they can, and if they don't the next person will. People get a sick materialistic high from getting some hard to get thing along with some sick satisfaction of knowing you got something that the next person would've got, but now they can't. It is like you won and they lost.

A little Simpsons too...
Lisa: Dad, do you know what Schadenfreude is?
Homer: No, I do not know what shaden-frawde is. [sarcasm] Please tell me, because I'm dying to know.
Lisa: It's a German term for `shameful joy', taking pleasure in the suffering of others.
Homer: Oh, come on Lisa. I'm just glad to see him fall flat on his butt!
[/QUOTE]

Those Germans have a word for everything!

Yes, I agree, initially. It drives excitement and interest. People stop and say, hey what's the fuss about? People say, hey maybe I'll give it a shot. That's what happened with Wii (although the whole get up bowl thing in Wii Sports really drove a lot of sales too, I know my mom that doesn't really care for video games suddenly had an interest when I showed her how it worked).

However, at a certain point the word is out, the interest peaks. I would hazard to say that is the tricky point for a company to figure out. Until recently, every store had zero figures and overflowing shelves of the starter pack. That means that interest is peaking on new players, and the demand lies with people that already know about Skylanders and have it. You want the buzz. But, there is a thin line where people will simply say "screw this". When that happens, nothing will bring them back.

I've played through Skylanders on the 360, my daughter and I had a blast. I just got a 3DS today and I can get the game/portal for less than $15 but I'm wondering if I really need to play it on multiple systems. Anyone want to give a compelling reason to do that?

[quote name='defpally']That's expected, they have only been out a week. I think TRU's event caused a temporary extension to the bubble, but ever since that happened Skylanders have been showing up everywhere. My Target has been dry like forever, and I found a bunch there this weekend, including Adventure Packs. Walmart had a decent selection as well.

It's like they all held up the shipments and unleashed three week's worth at every store at the same time. Maybe that was their goal, to drown out the resellers. Resellers are really not in Activision's best interests - while they do generate sales, they also generate frustration. Frustrated parents and kids move on to the next big thing. There are only so many times little Johnny can go into Toys R Us and see an empty shelf before he says, hey let's go look at the Hot Wheels instead. There is only so many times a parent can get into work late because they were camping out the entrance of a store when a shipment is due. Activision needs to keep the excitement rolling until Giants this Fall.[/QUOTE]

If Activision were really interested in drowning out the resellers they'd release more of the new ones. They know those are the ones everyone is trying to find. Instead they release waves of old figures that most people probably already have.

The new 3-pack is $49 right now with shipping at it's cheapest on Amazon, where I have credit. If it gets down $10 more I'll probably bite, hopefully sell off the Cynder (already have) for $12 and only pay a 3 dollar markup on zook and lightning rod, unless I can find them at retail between now and then.

I enjoy the 3DS version a lot more then the console version only because it plays like a platformer and doesn't really focus on the combat. I liked the timed challenges a lot too. The one big downside is that you can only take 2 Skylanders into a level and cannot switch until the level is complete. I don't enjoy that, but understand people don't have the ability to be connected to the portal continuously on a handheld.

The game I would compare the 3DS version to is Crash Bandicoot, with a bit of fighting mixed into it. I played the crap out of it, but now only really pick it up if we get a new character. Being one player it really limits replayability, the only thing to play through is to collect the crystals and hats. Once you have those it is pretty much over. In comparison, I've replayed levels in the console one many times without getting bored, particularly in two player with my son.

The 3DS one is also quite a bit more challenging in general, some of the crystals are really tough to get and the last level takes some pretty tight jumping skills. Also, once you collect the crystals in a level it pretty much gets locked to "Hektore Challenge", which is a tightly timed run through the level (I heven't figured out a way to revisit a level without it). My son didn't like that version of the game nearly as much as I did.

My biggest hope for Skylanders Giants is that they have a version for the Vita that mirrors the console version.

bread's done
Back