So You Think You Can Ride RPG Thread XIV's Chocobo!!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='NoHo']What are the best rpg's to check out on the playstation store? I've played most final fantasies.[/QUOTE]
Wild ARMs.

[quote name='NoHo']What are the best rpg's to check out on the playstation store? I've played most final fantasies.[/QUOTE]

Chrono Cross and Breath of Fire IV.

[quote name='TheLongshot']BTW, it has been announced by Nintendo that "The Last Story" is coming to the US, via XSeed. Yay![/QUOTE]

:whee:

I was happy about Xenoblade coming, but this is what I really wanted.

[quote name='TheLongshot']BTW, it has been announced by Nintendo that "The Last Story" is coming to the US, via XSeed. Yay![/QUOTE]

REALLY? On the same fucking day a lot of UK pre-orders shipped? I have a hard time believing that's a coincidence.

Good news :) Just more evidence that XSeed is awesome.

Now all that we need is Pandora's Tower, which is the one that I have been the most interested in.

On another note, here's some Etrian Odyssey IV screens from Famitsu: http://andriasang.com/con02c/etrian_odyssey_iv_screens/

The most interesting bit of that article:
[quote name='Andriasang']One of the major new features for Etrian Odyssey IV is the switch to full 3D models for monsters. Previously, monsters had been shown as sprites. This is put to good use through the new powerful "F.O.E" enemies you'll encounter in dungeons.[/quote]

More info about the game here, as posted yesterday. This time, there's going to be a "casual" difficulty mode! I wouldn't use it myself, but I hope it helps to introduce more people to the series.

[quote name='Zmonkay']I actually really liked it... at first. Old school feel, air battles. I thought it was going to be kinda like Skies of Arcadia. I was sadly mistaken. The "real world" setting to me is what really killed it, along with fairly unlikable/boring/generic charactiers. Never went anywhere interesting, and gave up shortly after getting the fourth party member.[/QUOTE]

Yup. That's where I'm about at. I've got the 4th member. But all this backtracking, and then more backtracking with the optional adventurer side-quests....

I like the "real world" setting. It's something different as opposed to generic fantasy land. I'll give it a little more time and then move on.

[quote name='willardhaven']Chrono Cross and Breath of Fire IV.[/QUOTE]

I think I am going to go with Breath of Fire. Something that isn't Square (I've played most of their stuff when I was younger).

I've just started using my PS3. I used to just use it as a standalone blu-ray player and bought everything on 360, but it was just gathering dust. There are a lot of good JRPG's for it. A genre the 360 severely lacks for obvious reasons. There's something charming about the 8/16/32 bit RPG's that the newer titles just can't capture. My only beef with the PS3 is how confusing the menus are to navigate and how the games on the store not only don't offer a trial or small gameplay video, but they don't even have screenshots which I find to be pretty amazing.

The games I really want to play are the persona games, but since I don't have a a PSP or PS2, it's impossible. How come the playstation store doesn't have more PS2 titles? It has a few, but not as much as they should.

You really think that's going to happen? Honestly I would double dip on a Tales of the Abyss, Radiata Stories, the SMT games and a few others if they came out for the PS3.

[quote name='willardhaven']The 360 has a better storefront, but I think the cross media bar is pretty intuitive.

I agree that the PS2 classics should be expanded ASAP.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the media bar is nice. It's just filled with too much stuff I don't need and not enough stuff I do.

There's a lot of things I like about PS3 over 360 now that I'm using it more especially their collection of classic games, but the media bar isn't one of them. But that's a small gripe.

My biggest beef with PS3 is with the store not offering any sort of gameplay video or screen shots for 99% of the content. The $5.99 games are ones I usually buy on a whim and there's nothing more frustrating than browsing the store and only being able to base your purchase on box art and a description. You shouldn't have to log onto YouTube or do an image search for screen shots. Maybe it's Sony's way of making you use the PS3 internet browser.

[quote name='willardhaven']You really think that's going to happen? Honestly I would double dip on a Tales of the Abyss, Radiata Stories, the SMT games and a few others if they came out for the PS3.[/QUOTE]

Hah. Same here. I've bought Final Fantasy VI about 4 times. SNES, PSone, GBA and now on the PlayStation Store.

Now that Xenoblade and The Last Story are coming to North America in spring and summer, I'm sort of torn whether to pick up a Wii or just hold out for the Wii U. Should I go ahead and order Xenoblade anyway just to be on the safe side? I know it's only available through Nintendo and Gamestop, but I wasn't sure if it was a limited print run or not.

[quote name='coolz481']Now that Xenoblade and The Last Story are coming to North America in spring and summer, I'm sort of torn whether to pick up a Wii or just hold out for the Wii U. Should I go ahead and order Xenoblade anyway just to be on the safe side? I know it's only available through Nintendo and Gamestop, but I wasn't sure if it was a limited print run or not.[/QUOTE]
"Gamestop exclusive" doesn't scream "large print run" to me, so if you're really worried about it it's probably worth an order.

[quote name='NoHo']The games I really want to play are the persona games, but since I don't have a a PSP or PS2, it's impossible. How come the playstation store doesn't have more PS2 titles? It has a few, but not as much as they should.[/QUOTE]

Well, they only just started putting PS2 games into their store, so it might be a while before they get to something like Persona. That's why I still have my PS2. Unfortunately, it seems that any update to those type of games goes to PSP rather than PS3, much to my chagrin.

[quote name='pete5883']"Gamestop exclusive" doesn't scream "large print run" to me, so if you're really worried about it it's probably worth an order.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I wouldn't expect a huge amount of copies of Xenoblade to be out there.

In other things, I got an update to the GBA emulator for my phone that now allows me to play games full screen and more-or-less full speed. So, I started playing Mother 3 to go along with Fire Emblem.

FF13 gets aggrivating at the end. So much shit I can't do because I can't ride Chocobos. So much running around. So much grinding. Nothing gets explained anymore.

In a matter of minutes it goes from a linear adventure to a sprawling mess.

Shame because the enemy design and music is killer.

[quote name='camoor']FF13 gets aggrivating at the end. So much shit I can't do because I can't ride Chocobos. So much running around. So much grinding. Nothing gets explained anymore.

Shame because the enemy design and music is killer.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I thought you were talking about Lost for a minute.

[quote name='camoor']
[/QUOTE]

The side hunts are optional, and are built for a post-game party.

Unless you're talking about grinding turtles for the trophies, then yes, the game is hell.

I didn't know that Xenoblade Chronicles was a GameStop exclusive... I guess I'm going to have to pre-order it to make sure I get a copy. I also want the art book.

Does anyone think Tales of the Abyss 3D is going to have a limited print-run? It's already sold out on Amazon and back-order on the GameStop website. I want to get it eventually, but I don't know if I want to buy a game for a system I don't own yet.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I didn't know that Xenoblade Chronicles was a GameStop exclusive... I guess I'm going to have to pre-order it to make sure I get a copy. I also want the art book.

Does anyone think Tales of the Abyss 3D is going to have a limited print-run? It's already sold out on Amazon and back-order on the GameStop website. I want to get it eventually, but I don't know if I want to buy a game for a system I don't own yet.[/QUOTE]

There's a good chance. Two print runs have shipped and consequently disappeared in Europe.

nooooooooo~!!!!!

it's the last weekend of febuary with only 5 days left in the month and I still have an unbeaten copy of Suikoden V!!!

will I finish it by March?!?!?!

I'm seriously gonna cancel like half my shyt this weekend jus to put more time into this game lol

coz last weekend was so long but I was so busy I only managed to do like 2 hours lol.

wish me luck!!!!!

[quote name='The Crotch']So... are these threads immortal now?[/QUOTE]

Yes, in honor of Kaim and the others from Lost Odyssey.

I'm awake!!! like 20 minutes away from 11AM lol, but I've survived another late late nite lumines session!!!

time to Suikoden!!! let's do it!! let's go let's go!! hustle baby hustle!!! you got it!! cmooooooon!!

i remember i had a 3-4 day weekend one time

i took that entire weekend just to play Suikoden 5. that was probably the first time i did that in years.
it may also be the last time.

I finished Persona 2 Innocent Sin PSP the other day. It was a pretty wild ride. More RPGs should incorporate nazis.

Speaking of Atlus games, how's Devil Survivor? I'm thinking of picking up the 3DS version sometime soon.

whoo!! played for like an hour!!

took a break for lunch, now I'm onto another session before I shower and take a poop!

let's go!![quote name='ChibiJosh']Speaking of Atlus games, how's Devil Survivor? I'm thinking of picking up the 3DS version sometime soon.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='eldergamer']So how is that Valkyrie Profile game for the :ds: ? About to start it now that Nostalgia isn't holding my interest.[/QUOTE]maaaaaan there's something about SRPGs where it's like I wanna like them and play them but I just cant at times!!

like Tactics Ogre. I wanna enjoy it, but the moment it gets real difficult and I spend a long ass time in a stage only to not win it, I lose motivation.

Devil Survivor, I liked it for a while but it's still slow paced and u still needa kinda grind a bit coz Story stages to me still provided lots of challenge.

add that with demon fusion micromanagement and it started to stress me out dood!!

Valkyrie Profile, I liked it. ppl say it's really hard but I was able to beat it without killing a single person.

the thing about that game is it has that exploitable AI where if u come within range of an enemy only then will it approach and attack you,

thus u can lure enemies in one by one and takem out easy, yet hella ppl think this game is real tough

First off I'll say I'm not a big SRPG guy, but I am a big SMT fan. With that said I didn't care for Devil Survivor. The concept was intresting but the dialogue and characters are a snooze-fest. The combat was okay. Hated the card board cut outs enemies. Some animation would've been nice. Didn't finish it, but I got right up to the end. Just didn't want to play.

I can't stand the slow pace of most SRPGs. Disgaea is the only one fast enough for me.

It's not an RPG but I just got GTA IV Complete (never played the original) and it's pretty fun.

I'm not a SRPG person for the most part, but I loved Devil Survivor. The demon fusing of the SMT series just made it work for me, and it's implemented really well in that game.

I can honestly say that I'm enjoying Kingdoms Of Amalur more than I thought I would. I guess it's the varied weapons you can use and that you can sneak up and stealth kill enemies besides using ranged/melee combat.

Although I have been letting a buddy of mine borrow it since Wednesday, since I wanted him to be able to experience it too. Hell of a game thus far though. I'm still in the first town after the beginning of the game and I must say that I can't understand why I stopped playing RPG's for so long. I had numerous RPG's in my backlog I just sold off(Hunted, Dungeon Siege 3, Sacred 2, etc) and if I played them for an hour each it was a miracle.

Now to go to BB and get back my $20 from Skyrim from matching Walmart's $40 price of it and finally crack that open.

It's a lot of fun in the beginning area, IATCG. Though personally, I thought it got rather terrible after the 8 hour mark or so. The other regions are hella boring, the side quests are filler, and everything dies in one hit on hard.

[quote name='panzerfaust']It's a lot of fun in the beginning area, IATCG. Though personally, I thought it got rather terrible after the 8 hour mark or so. The other regions are hella boring, the side quests are filler, and everything dies in one hit on hard.[/QUOTE]
That sounds like my current save on Saint's Row 3. I'm very nearly immortal since I have every one of the upgrades you can do, so I can withstand a full on assault by military jets and choppers and my guy could just stand there and yawn as they're pelting him with rockets, lasers and whatever else they can find.

The only thing that kills me is if I'm in a car when it blows up(even though I have upgrade where explosions don't affect me) or I take one of the jets and crash it and don't jump out till the last second.

Thanks for the heads up on KoA though. Hopefully I find enough stuff to do to keep it interesting.

[quote name='panzerfaust']It's a lot of fun in the beginning area, IATCG. Though personally, I thought it got rather terrible after the 8 hour mark or so. The other regions are hella boring, the side quests are filler, and everything dies in one hit on hard.[/QUOTE]

Yep, loved it at first. Then I realized that nearly every piece of armor/weapon look identical and just have different stats. I swear there are 4 unique models for each piece... Put ~ 30 hrs in, but my anal retentiveness means I haven't really progressed that far (lvl 18) because I've done each and every side quest I've encountered up until now...

Putting it aside to play the new BlazBlue. Will prolly come back some day, but I think I'll chip away at 100%ing FFXIII-2 until my copy of ME3 arrives.

If I really disliked Xenosaga Ep. 1 (and I think I would've hated Xenogears, going by the Let's Play I read), would I like Xenoblade?

I want to give it a chance, but at full price, I also don't want to have to put up with bad pacing, overlong cutscenes, a merely average battle system, and forgettable dungeons with no background music whatsoever.

The announcement of Pokemon B/W 2 has gotten me in the mood to play some Pokemon. Decided to do the Nuzlocke challenge on Red version for some added fun.

I'm thinking about starting Radiant Historia, but I'm wondering with all the time traveling, should I play with a guide? Is it easy to miss things in it?

[quote name='pete5883']There's a good chance. Two print runs have shipped and consequently disappeared in Europe.[/QUOTE]
And lets not forget that the Tales games tend not to do well over here.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I finished Persona 2 Innocent Sin PSP the other day. It was a pretty wild ride. More RPGs should incorporate nazis. [/QUOTE]
I wish that I could find the time for that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back