Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection - Gen. Discussion & Info

I got them all after a couple of days. Mean Bean Machine was the worst, but wasn't so bad once I started using the save feature every time I got a good shot in. Super Thunder Blade what I did was set it to easy with max lives and fly in counterclockwise circles about as wide as I could do without hitting the buildings. Sudden changes of direction seem to be a no no since the thing changes direction so slowly and they are always shooting where you just were.

EDIT: I'm fairly sure the Vectorman one is either cumulative or counts the ones you get from kills also. I reached it long before I had 500 by my count. But it's another one where judicious use of the save option will help greatly.

Vectorman was such an awesome game when it came out. I'm hoping I can make the time to just sit and play through it, achievements be damned.

I just realized half the reason I liked the Golden Axe games (the first two at least). The music. Those Conan the Barbarian beats just add so much to the sorta jerky gameplay. I think the lack of great music is half the reason I hate Golden Axe 3.

I just got the mean bean achievment and I have no idea how the hell I did it. I think it was just pure luck because he looked like he was doing alright and I was a couple blocks away from death and then all the sudden he just lost. It wasn't pretty but hell I'll take it if it means never playing that damn game again.

[quote name='Xellos2099']Can anyone tell me how does Shining force 1 and 2 and phantasy start 1 to 4 look in 720p?[/QUOTE]

can't say anything about the Phantasy Star games but I didn't notice anything different from playing the Shining Force games on my crappy tv to my friends kick ass setup

All these games look like ass on my 50' DLP. I perfer not to strech it out to 16:9 and keep smoothing turned off. But they're still fun to play. I was thinking about tackling Beyond Oasis first.

[quote name='Rodimus']I perfer not to strech it out to 16:9 and keep smoothing turned off. But they're still fun to play. I was thinking about tackling Beyond Oasis first.[/QUOTE]

Haven't yet tried that though

[quote name='fart_bubble']Haven't yet tried that though[/quote]

I think smoothing makes games look much better, but putting them on 16:9 is a big way to make them look like ass quickly. The only problem I have with smoothing is that the text looks like shit.

All of the games look great on my 42'' 720P television with smoothing on and stretched. I was extremely impressed how improved the games looked compared to what I remember. Overall, a huge difference and worth getting for the clarity of these games alone. The emulation so far seems dead on as well. Great compilation.

[quote name='Rodimus']All these games look like ass on my 50' DLP. I perfer not to strech it out to 16:9 and keep smoothing turned off. But they're still fun to play. I was thinking about tackling Beyond Oasis first.[/QUOTE]

I wish Had had started with Beyond Oasis. Now I'm so completely lost in Shining Force I can't play anything else. :) I'm going to play it before I start part 2. Man this collection is worth it for the Oasis, The Shining Force games and the Phantasy Star games alone. Sega totally needs to do another collection or 2 of Sega CD/Saturn games and include more Game Gear and Genesis Games as unlockables.

Apparently you can use passwords on the Mean Bean Machine achievement so you don't have to play through the entire game. No idea what the password is but I've heard there's a skip to the end one where you just have to beat the final boss. GameFAQs probably has that code nice and handy.

I'm definitely going to pick this up once we see another 25% off used at Gamestop coupon... hoping it doesn't take too long, as this collection seems pretty good.

I'm definitely going to pick this up once we see another 25% off used at Gamestop coupon... hoping it doesn't take too long, as this collection seems pretty good.

[quote name='dg7md']Apparently you can use passwords on the Mean Bean Machine achievement so you don't have to play through the entire game.[/quote]

Yeah, the code is Blue, Happy, Yellow, Yellow. It starts you off at the last level on easy.

Did anyone here besides me have more trouble on Columns than Dr. Robotnik's MBM? I'm just so used to games that have vertical/horizontal pieces that Columns was just killing me. I got to 20,000 in that game with pure luck.

[quote name='Daywalker']Did anyone here besides me have more trouble on Columns than Dr. Robotnik's MBM? I'm just so used to games that have vertical/horizontal pieces that Columns was just killing me. I got to 20,000 in that game with pure luck.[/quote]

I had to use the pause trick. I never played columns before and it was frustrating to say the least.

I gotta say, so far the best 30 bucks I have spent on a game with so many good games on it. Actually bought it so my friend and I could play it while he was down here and now he is going up North and buying it. Just a shame this game has no Co-Op.

Sorry, the code I listed above was wrong. It supposed to be Yellow, Happy, Blue, Blue. Anyways I beat it last night. Took me like 15 minutes with the save trick.

Columns has a simple trick. You can get an instant 10,000 points by placing the star gems over nothing at the bottom of the screen. It works out great if you get it too early.

Fatal Labrynth will probably be the last game I get the achievement for. It took me a long time to figure out you move into characters to attack them. The whole neighborhood must have heard me cursing the game.

I'm sure this will dip down to $20 eventually, I'll get it then.

FarmhouseMedia.png

[quote name='Tsukento']I'd say Ecco 2 was what got under my skin the most.

Eat 200 fish. That required me to actually play the damn game. :bomb:[/quote]

It wasn't that bad, just keep dashing back and forth along the same group of fish. It takes about 5 minutes.

That was the problem there. At least Vectorman's "Get 500 orbs" wasn't bad because the game was worth playing through. Dashing back and forth got irritating, especially when fish started swimming out of Ecco's line, requiring me to move all aorund.

Anywho, speaking earlier about Fatal Labyrinth, I had NEVER heard of the game prior to this collection. I musta spent a good three hours playing the game from beginning to end, while grabbing as much cash as I could for every time I died. I gotta say, it was rather enjoyable and a pretty interesting concept (the whole cash only affects your game over screen).

Can't decide which I wanna play through first (for the first time in years); Phantasy Star II, Phantasy Star IV or Shining Force II.

[quote name='Tsukento']
Anywho, speaking earlier about Fatal Labyrinth, I had NEVER heard of the game prior to this collection. I musta spent a good three hours playing the game from beginning to end, while grabbing as much cash as I could for every time I died. I gotta say, it was rather enjoyable and a pretty interesting concept (the whole cash only affects your game over screen).
.[/quote]

Newb question but what did you do on Level 5 ?

I got to Level 5 and got my achievement, then I couldn't work out what to do, the level seemed to be empty with no stairs or passages or enemies, so I was stuck.

You have to look around at the walls. When you come across a level where there seem to be no stairs, you have to go up against the walls to find a secret passage.

[quote name='Tsukento']You have to look around at the walls. When you come across a level where there seem to be no stairs, you have to go up against the walls to find a secret passage.[/quote]

Yeah I tried that, I walked round the perimeter several times but no passages appeared, maybe it was glitched like daschrier said.

It seems like a glitch, but it really isn't. I've had times where I've had to check every single last tile until I came across a secret passage.

I just started playing this again for achievements. I had gotten 85 achievement points from the game, which I bought at launch but barely got to play due to school and getting more 360 games plus a Wii. But now I'm hooked and all I want to do this weekend is beat Comix Zone, both Vectorman games, and Sonic 1-3, none of which I have ever beaten before.

[quote name='Matt Young']I just started playing this again for achievements. I had gotten 85 achievement points from the game, which I bought at launch but barely got to play due to school and getting more 360 games plus a Wii. But now I'm hooked and all I want to do this weekend is beat Comix Zone, both Vectorman games, and Sonic 1-3, none of which I have ever beaten before.[/QUOTE]

Haven't beaten Sonic 1-3 even? Oh my. :oops:

[quote name='Yanksfan']Haven't beaten Sonic 1-3 even? Oh my. :oops:[/QUOTE]

I don't think many people have. Once you get past the first level where you can just run really fast the game goes down hill. Trying to precision jump on moving platforms while drowining in water is not Sonic's strong suit.

Man, a lot of old games sucked. Most of these games aren't a value at any price.

I had fond memories of zooming around in Sonic 2/3 but those were crushed by the strict platforming in Sonic 1 that I didn't remember. Boss battles with enemies off screen are not fun (Shinobi III). I got stuck in the 2nd level of Kid Chameleon. It was frustrating as hell trying to figure out the controls for Echo because my brain wasn't thinking in terms of the way games used to control. I played a few other games that frustrated the hell out of me as well.

If it wasn't for the lure of easy achievements I would have immediately placed this sucker back in the Gamefly envelope. I should add that I didn't own a Genesis, so the nostalgia factor of a lot of these games is lost on me.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I don't think many people have. Once you get past the first level where you can just run really fast the game goes down hill. Trying to precision jump on moving platforms while drowining in water is not Sonic's strong suit.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. See, I never owned a Genesis as a kid, really. I bought a Genesis 3 (the tiny one) when I was 18-19, and I own a Genesis 2 right now with maybe 10 games.

I never liked Sonic a whole lot. I always wanted to explore rather than run as fast as possible through the levels. The only Sonic game I have beaten was Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast, LOL. But now, with save states and such, I'm going to try to finish the 3 Sonic Genesis games. Right now, I'm hooked on Comix Zone.

bread's done
Back