Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection - Gen. Discussion & Info

Sonic Jam allows you to play Sonic 3 and Knuckles, and that was in 1997. Sorry but whoever Sega outsourced this game is just lazy

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']I wish we could ban for stupid sonic and knuckles 3 talk.[/quote]

It doesn't bother me here as much but the thread in the deals section really should be closed.

[quote name='62t']Sonic Jam allows you to play Sonic 3 and Knuckles, and that was in 1997. Sorry but whoever Sega outsourced this game is just lazy[/quote]
Bad comparison.

Sonic Jam only had Genesis titles.

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection has Master System, Arcade and Genesis titles.

Sonic Jam was only made up of Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. As well as the connectivity and the fact that you had Sonic being given the Spindash in Sonic 1. With a couple of animated shorts, Sonic CD's intro and a 3D world hub.

This, however, is basically over 40 games of various different hardware, interviews, artwork and achievements/trophies. As I said, it's not just a simple matter of "ROMs slapped on a disc" as some people are making it out to be.

[quote name='Tsukento']This, however, is basically over 40 games of various different hardware, interviews, artwork and achievements/trophies. As I said, it's not just a simple matter of "ROMs slapped on a disc" as some people are making it out to be.[/QUOTE]
But the actual solution to the problem at hand might as well be "ROMs slapped on a disc." In fact, I see nothing to suggest otherwise. They did an admirable job of emulating each title and giving supplemental extras, but it might as well be "ROMs slapped on a disc." Each compilation has to be emulated well (well doesn't have to be but it's nice when it happens!" It shouldn't be told to us "Well, we emulated all of these titles so well, so just forget about Sonic 3 and Knuckles."

I guess what I'm saying is the fix is so minor that it should have been done regardless of any extras they put on the disc. They could have mapped Yuji Naka's DNA in a viewable .PDF and I would want Sonic 3 and Knuckles on the compilation because it would be such a modicum of effort to include it in there.

And to reply to the above poster, Sonic Spinball is a lot of fun! I defend that game a lot. The running in the game is odd, but you almost never run so it works out perfect. It's a fun little title... it's odd Sonic fans disowned it when most Sonic fans were wanting Sonic games to break the mold back in the 90s.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, for Northland Kansas City residents. Because of the Metro North Mall closing the store at Creekwood Commons (Englewood and N. Oak Trafficway) has a 20% off promo code.

It works for NEW AND USED. Great guys working there so just ask and they probably will give it to you. Im not 100% sure what the coupon was for, but I think it was for people who had previous pre-orders at the metro north mall. I was able to pick this up for $23.

[quote name='Tsukento']Bad comparison.

Sonic Jam only had Genesis titles.

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection has Master System, Arcade and Genesis titles.

Sonic Jam was only made up of Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. As well as the connectivity and the fact that you had Sonic being given the Spindash in Sonic 1. With a couple of animated shorts, Sonic CD's intro and a 3D world hub.

This, however, is basically over 40 games of various different hardware, interviews, artwork and achievements/trophies. As I said, it's not just a simple matter of "ROMs slapped on a disc" as some people are making it out to be.[/QUOTE]

It is nice they have a lot of extra, but it doesnt take away the fact that they are not willing to put the effort in getting the extra game. It doesnt matter if it will take them 5 hours or 5 minutes.

Oh. my. god.

Let it go, guys. Just... let it go.

Seriously, if it bothers you that much, just go drop the $30 on a used Genesis with S&K and Sonic 3. You get what you want, and Sega still doesn't get your money. Problem solved.

... now, since there hasn't been much discussed outside of the Sonic stuff, I have to chime in and say that I'm really enjoying the collection. Overall, it's a nice package. Really looking forward to going through Shining Force and Phantasy Star again. Yay.

You could also get Sonic Mega Collection for PS2 that has all the Sonic & Knuckles add on games as unlockables. I got my copy for like 10 bucks a few months ago

I sold my Sonic Mega Collection Plus in anticipation of getting this. Yeah they are pretty much the same but Achievements in Sonic AND Streets of Rage!?!?!? Can't turn that down. I'll be waiting for a price drop though.

Got my copy last night from Amazon, very happy with it.

Took me a good few attempts to get the Columns cheesemint, and I still haven't got the Bonanza Bros one.

I'll be looking to unlock Zaxxon tonight, one of my favs games from back in the day. Getting to play Alien Syndrome was good times as well.

Picked it up today from BB. Love it so far. I love seeing that I'm not alone in my love for Sonic Spinball.

Videogame Value of the Year? I think so.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Picked it up today from BB. Love it so far. I love seeing that I'm not alone in my love for Sonic Spinball.

Videogame Value of the Year? I think so.[/quote]

Does sonic spinball still run really slowly? I always remembered it having a slow like frame rate.

Also, why the fuck have all these mega collection threads turned into whine whine bitch fests? Seriously? If you don't like the games that AREN'T on a 40+ game disc do this for us, Go stick your head in the sand and wait for someone to kick you in the balls.

Mine is arriving from Amazon tomorrow... can't wait to play this. Really sucks about no online support, even if only a few titles had it.

Finished up all the unlockables last night. Videos are retty meh, but at least you get 50 GS for clicking them.

Oh, and Altered Beast arcade is awesome. No idea why people complained it was on there.

This is a great way to catch up on the missed games of yesteryear ^_^

I love seeing Genesis games through smooth AV hookups on my TV. None of that old-skool RF unit grain.

It's gonna be a while before I dive into any of the RPGs, since I have a few newer ones I need to finish anywho, but man is it great to have them collected here.

Shinobi Arcade is great, I wish it had Mastersystem Shinobi as well, just so you could compare. I had the MS one and played it ALL the time, so I find myself humming it's version of the music.

I wish it had alien storm arcade, seeing at how insanely awesome looking Altered beast Arcade looks compared to it's genesis brother.

I'd love it if they released another one of these down the road! Would love some more 3rd part stuff like Dashin' Desperados, Sunset Riders (though I like the SNES one of that more), A bunch of Treasure stuff, etc. That's unlikely, sure, but hey, ya never know!

I'd love to see Community games released on live that looked as well done, sprite art wise, as these genesis games. If you look at something Like Ristar, and think THOSE graphics looks ugly, you've just lost your taste for good looking games! Multiple layers of background scrolling, wonderfully detailed "textures" to thing, characters with very well animated extra elements... It's sad when the Genesis's limited color Palette looks like an insanely lush wash of colors, compared to most modern day games. (Tales of Vesperia and Street Fighter IV being good exceptions...)

[quote name='dg7md']Mine is arriving from Amazon tomorrow... can't wait to play this. Really sucks about no online support, even if only a few titles had it.[/quote]

I haven't ordered it yet. Hopefully you don't need support though eh?
smile.gif

About the Sonic series lately.... Meh.

i can't decide which system to get it for. i prefer the D-pad on the ps3 controller. hows the analog support on the 360?

[quote name='ctrek3']i can't decide which system to get it for. i prefer the D-pad on the ps3 controller. hows the analog support on the 360?[/quote]

These are generally pretty old games... and no complex motions like in Street Fighter, so the pad/analog isn't THAT big a deal, I'd say. I've used my SFIV TE stick with it, and that's pretty fun, makes them all fee like arcade games! I prefer using the D-Pad for things like double tapping to run in Alien Storm and Golden Axe. (Actually, come to think of it, I think Golden Axe III might have some odd SF-esque moves...)

I have no probs using analog on things like Sonic and E-Swat. And you can set up different button configs per game, and the way to assign buttons is JUST like SSFIITHDR, where it lets you push any button you want for any function, and then label those which are to be unassigned. Of they also offer a straightforward "ABC Mode" which makes X, A, and B Genesis A B and C. Comic Zone uses the bumpers and Y button for item selection, which feels pretty natural.

I had a $10 coupon from Amazon I got with Animal Crossing months ago. Forgot about it till now. Used it on this and got it for $18. Not bad. Hopefully I'll get it today, but I doubt it.

I'm in an old-school mood right now so this is gonna be perfect for me. Hooked up the ol' CDX and was playing Popful Mail and Legend of Wukong last night.

Are any of the achievements too hard? Most of them look pretty easy.

[quote name='Rodimus']Are any of the achievements too hard? Most of them look pretty easy.[/QUOTE]

So long as you're decent at Mean Bean Machine you shouldn't have any trouble.

Meh, I'd say you have to be more than decent. After ~12 tries I decided I didn't care that much about beating Dr. Robotnick.

My overall impression of this collection is good but there are a few complaints.

1. No universal control-changing options. I'm using the new Fightpad and it works great. It is a pain in the ass to have to reconfigure the controller for every game. A main options menu that included universal control settings would've been easy to implement and very welcome.

2. No Sonic and Knuckles 3. Lazy, lazy and inexcusable. I realize this horse is long dead but give me a break. I have it available on a couple other compilations (most notably the incredibly well-done and exhaustive Sonic Jam) but part of the reason I was excited about this was that it looked to absolutely trump every previous Sega compilation. The biggest reason it doesn't is the lack of S&K3.

3. I haven't noticed any sound issues but I haven't tried Streets of Rage 2 yet.

Overall it is well worth the $30 but it isn't as "Ultimate" as it could've been.

[quote name='Maynard']Does sonic spinball still run really slowly? I always remembered it having a slow like frame rate.

Also, why the fuck have all these mega collection threads turned into whine whine bitch fests? Seriously? If you don't like the games that AREN'T on a 40+ game disc do this for us, Go stick your head in the sand and wait for someone to kick you in the balls.[/quote]

The framerate is fine, but Sonic was never meant to be speedy in this game, so it does feel a bit sluggish running him somewhere when you have to. Still an awesome game.

Also: I agree on there being no reason for complaint. At under a buck a game, this collection can't be beat. Sure, there could be some additions or changes, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over them.

[quote name='jdeluis']So no online multiplayer for any of the games?

:cry:[/quote]

Sadly. Though playing with someone else on the couch brings back good memories. Had a blast list night with a few people over, passing the controllers around (One on Sonic, one on Tails) for Sonic 2.

[quote name='Magus8472']So long as you're decent at Mean Bean Machine you shouldn't have any trouble.[/quote]

The problem with Mean Bean Machine and Columns is that the difficulty ramps up really fast. I don't know if I'll ever get the achievements for those two.

[quote name='seanr1221']The SFIV pad works great in this game.[/quote]

I'm going to have to try that out. :cool:

The Columns achievement is pretty easy if you continually pause the game each time you get a new piece. Pause the game, look at your existing blocks, and make a plan about where you're going to drop the piece. It only took me two tries after I tried that.

So I just purchased a new Jasper 360 a week ago and I'm noticing some freezing with this game, it's not permanent freezing it just slows down or freezes for a few seconds and then I'm good again. I also had left 4 dead freeze up for a couple seconds today. Has anyone else had this freezing problem with the collection? I'm just trying to figure out if I need to be taking this 360 back to Toys R Us to get a new one.

The game is installed to the Hard Drive if that makes a difference.

[quote name='Halo05']The Columns achievement is pretty easy if you continually pause the game each time you get a new piece. Pause the game, look at your existing blocks, and make a plan about where you're going to drop the piece. It only took me two tries after I tried that.[/quote]

Well, I did it. It just felt so wrong, though :lol: Also unlocked Zaxxon from playing Decap Attack.

I just picked this up today after reading all the comments and reviews around the web. I have to admit, there's a LOT of games on this collection I've never played before. So for the ones I've played, it reminds me of my childhood again.

As for the ones I haven't played, better late than never.

I was thinking about picking this up when I found out about Comix Zone but once I found out Fantasy Zone was in here I immediately ran out to the store, I logged countless hours on my Master System for that game.

I never remember Comix Zone being this damn hard, I'm getting my ass handed to me in chapter 3.

Heres hoping they come out with another collection soon, and the next one better have some Wonder Boy games in it, those were the best.

Bah there's no excuse for not including one of the greatest games of all time, Especially since it was on Sonic Mega Collection and that was just a quick & dirty port job.

BTW it's Sonic 3 & Knuckles, not S&K3 (which implies that there's some sort of S&K2).

I really, really hate Fatal Labyrinth and if there are people that don't... I question how it can be possible.

The achieve in Super Thunder Blade drove me crazy. It's just an inane, extremely difficult game with a bunch of shit flying at you at once with horribly stiff and inaccurate controls and it took a long time to get that unlocked.

Which game is worse though? Fatal Labyrinth is probably. That game is present on my most hated games list. I just don't see the appeal, it's just mind-numbingly bad with some of the worst controls out there. It just grates my nerves and blows my mind at how a game like that could be designed.

Aside from THOSE factors, this collection is great. A few titles are really dated but in general good for playing in short bursts or for nostalgia purposes. It could have used TJ&E 1-2, Gunstar Heroes and some Splatterhouse, though.

Oh, BTW: the Columns achievement is unlocked way easier by setting the game options to easy, then going to "Main" and not the arcade game mode, then put it on novice difficulty and start on level 5. It's more fun, quicker and easier overall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fatal Lab. is a rogue style game which there are still some released in the same style as that game even today.
A very niche game to say the least, but there are those who like that style.

I'm stuck at level 3 in Bean Machine, and tried to get the 1,500,000 in Super Thunder....but gave up after 600,000. How there could be any strategy other than fly all around and shoot like crazy is beyond me.

[quote name='daschrier']Fatal Lab. is a rogue style game which there are still some released in the same style as that game even today.
A very niche game to say the least, but there are those who like that style.

I'm stuck at level 3 in Bean Machine, and tried to get the 1,500,000 in Super Thunder....but gave up after 600,000. How there could be any strategy other than fly all around and shoot like crazy is beyond me.[/QUOTE]

To get the Super Thunder-chopper whatever thing, set the difficulty to easy and your lives to 7. After that you'll still be flying around randomly shooting but you should last long enough to get the points.

[quote name='Halo05']To get the Super Thunder-chopper whatever thing, set the difficulty to easy and your lives to 7. After that you'll still be flying around randomly shooting but you should last long enough to get the points.[/QUOTE]

Or, alternatively, put it on hard and just hide in the top left corner of the screen. Nothing can hit you there except the midboss and he's easy to kill anyway.

Ah, sploits.

[quote name='Magus8472']Or, alternatively, put it on hard and just hide in the top left corner of the screen. Nothing can hit you there except the midboss and he's easy to kill anyway.

Ah, sploits.[/quote]

That isn't exactly true, I tried it on hard and expert and on both sides, since you get your ass kicked trying it on easy. Things CAN hit you, it's just not likely that they will. I had lost all my lives even when doing this method just because the enemy fire is just so sporadic.

The best way is actually to just do it on easy and fly around in circular patterns. This way it makes the last part of the level not impossible when you have to face that tank. I got it after a few tries on easy.

Ugh. I still have to go back for that Super Thunder Chopper cheese. I found it too hard to identify what was coming at me and where I was shooting.

I never played either game, so Vectorman has me vexed right now too. Is that 500 photons cheese cumulative or in one sitting? And for that matter, how do you beat that first boss? Easy enough to find his weak point, but between jumping the spiked balls and the bombs he drops I couldn't beat him.

Picked up this game on Saturday and I think its great. It's been almost 15 years since I've played some of these games and reminded me of how difficult some these games are to pass. It's become my new podcast listening game.

My first reaction at playing this game was to get all the achievement points as soon as possible, but I decided to forgo that and just enjoy the games as much as possible.

[quote name='RudyPants']I will never get the achievement for beating Mean Bean Machine in this game. Has anybody been able to get it?[/quote]

I'm in the same boat as you. That shit is impossible, those beans fall so fucking fast.

[quote name='RudyPants']I will never get the achievement for beating Mean Bean Machine in this game. Has anybody been able to get it?[/QUOTE]

It took my 128+ tries, but yes, I did get it. Tip: Save your game when he's half-full, or you hit a pretty good move.

That's the only advise that is giveable.

Got them all besides the Mean Bean Machine, but I have a feeling I'll get it eventually.

It was a lot of fun playing these old games and getting achievements. Kinda wish some of them weren't so easy like Ecco's. I would've liked to work for it a little more.

bread's done
Back