Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection - Gen. Discussion & Info

The Genesis version of VF2 wishes it could be mediocre. I was playing it on the Sega Genesis Collection a couple weeks ago, praying for a seizure.

anyone know if these games are online co-op? if so its a first day purchase for me...if not then maybe ill wait for a price cut eventually.

[quote name='PhrostByte']You're right except Ecco and VF2 are far from mediocre lol.[/quote]
You're right.

But Ecco Jr. and Virtua Fighter 2 on Genesis are.

d[quote name='Tsukento']I did a quick check and figured something was odd. If you already have SEGA Genesis Collection and you're trying to figure out how to justify purchasing this, here are the games that were in SGC that aren't in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection:

Ecco Jr.
Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
Sword of Vermillion
Virtua Fighter 2

In place of those, you get the following:

Alien Storm
Beyond Oasis
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Dynamite Headdy
E-SWAT
Fatal Labyrinth
Shining in the Darkness
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3

So you lose four mediocre games and get a crap load of even better ones.[/quote]

I did a quick check and saw that a wiener getting snowed on posted this way back in November :booty:

By the way, is there any Genesis compilation with all the classic shooters on it? I don't remember how many Thunder Force games were on that system but I think I remember playing 2 of them.

[quote name='schuerm26']By the way, is there any Genesis compilation with all the classic shooters on it? I don't remember how many Thunder Force games were on that system but I think I remember playing 2 of them.[/quote]
'fraid not. SEGA's had few compilations that go beyond Sonic games and arcade collections featuring the usual (Altered Beast, Golden Axe and so forth).

[quote name='daschrier']Achievements are lame, especially since there aren't any for a good chunk of the games.[/quote]
Ecco the Dolphin, Golden Axe, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage 2 don't have any since they're all available on XBLA and have their own set of achievements.

[quote name='Tsukento']Ecco the Dolphin, Golden Axe, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage 2 don't have any since they're all available on XBLA and have their own set of achievements.[/QUOTE]

What about phantasy star 1, 2, and 3.

[quote name='Tsukento']Ecco the Dolphin, Golden Axe, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage 2 don't have any since they're all available on XBLA and have their own set of achievements.[/QUOTE]

"Golden Axe: Collect 20 magic power-ups 20G"

"Ecco: Talk to another dolphin 10G"

"Sonic The Hedgehog: Obtain a Chaos Emerald 30G"

Looks like they're there to me

Wow this looks like a blast from my childhood, especially excited for Beyond Oasis, I used to play that all the time but have never gotten around to picking up a copy. For $30.00 you can't really go wrong.

[quote name='nnthomas']"Golden Axe: Collect 20 magic power-ups 20G"

"Ecco: Talk to another dolphin 10G"

"Sonic The Hedgehog: Obtain a Chaos Emerald 30G"

Looks like they're there to me[/quote]
I stand corrected. Though those are fairly easy as hell and can easily be accomplished within 10 minutes of gameplay of each game.

[quote name='mykevermin']Unique to this collection (not on the PS2/PSP title):

Alien Storm
Beyond Oasis
Dr. Robotnik's MBM
Dynamite Headdy
E-SWAT
Fatal Labyrinth
Shining in the Darkness
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3

Games from the Sega Genesis Collection not on this one:
Ecco Jr.
Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
Sword of Vermillion
Virtua Fighter 2

Just for those keeping score.[/QUOTE]

Where is Legend Of Oasis? It was the Sequel to Beyond Of Oasis.

[quote name='blueweltall']That's a Sega Saturn game.[/QUOTE]

Hot Damn! You're Right.

I completely forgot that came out of Saturn not Genesis.

You guys know those old Sega games popping up for PS3/360. I don't think those are coming to their respective Marketplaces, if you get my meaning.

[quote name='KingBroly']You guys know those old Sega games popping up for PS3/360. I don't think those are coming to their respective Marketplaces, if you get my meaning.[/QUOTE]

Actually, not sure what you mean. There's already a small handful of games from Sega out there, and while it's not as much as the Virtual Console I'd rather pay $30 for this huge lot than a minimum $5 per game for individual downloads. I haven't seen too much about any reactionary measures from Sony or MS about this. The game is being published on both consoles and it hopefully benefits all involved. Perhaps they are testing the waters on this generation for compilation discs...there's been less this go-round than on PS2 or PSP for sure. So what's the big deal?

Anyone know if you will be able to virtually plug the Sonic games into Sonic and Knuckles? That would make me happy, and I could retire the Genesis.

[quote name='dwhelan']Anyone know if you will be able to virtually plug the Sonic games into Sonic and Knuckles? That would make me happy, and I could retire the Genesis.[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering this too. And, in reality, shouldn't this be standard? If you are having Sonic 3 and S&K on the same disc, shouldn't their be a S3&K? Really, all those additions from Sonic and Knuckles should be available, and I'm really not sure why they aren't.

I could've sworn I read about a reason for the general lack of Knuckles combination at some point... something along the lines of 'it sounds like it should be simple, but it's really not' kinda thing with the emulation.

I might be crazy, though.

[quote name='007']I could've sworn I read about a reason for the general lack of Knuckles combination at some point... something along the lines of 'it sounds like it should be simple, but it's really not' kinda thing with the emulation.

I might be crazy, though.[/QUOTE]

This actually makes sense. My understanding is that S&K didn't work like an expansion disc on modern consoles (which basically contain the entire game on one disc, and need the other for validation of ownership). Instead, they actually pulled content from one another with some content on one cart and some on another. So, it is likely harder than an average emulation. Still, it seems like it could be done.

[quote name='elwood731']This actually makes sense. My understanding is that S&K didn't work like an expansion disc on modern consoles (which basically contain the entire game on one disc, and need the other for validation of ownership). Instead, they actually pulled content from one another with some content on one cart and some on another. So, it is likely harder than an average emulation. Still, it seems like it could be done.[/quote]

The S&K combos have definitely been emulated, I couldn't say how easy/hard it was to do though.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Don't quote me on it, but I think those are all from PS 2.[/QUOTE]

Every screen is from a Phantasy Star. 1 2 3 and 4 are all present on the first page.

[quote name='elwood731']This actually makes sense. My understanding is that S&K didn't work like an expansion disc on modern consoles (which basically contain the entire game on one disc, and need the other for validation of ownership). Instead, they actually pulled content from one another with some content on one cart and some on another. So, it is likely harder than an average emulation. Still, it seems like it could be done.[/QUOTE]

they were able to use the lock on back with Sonic Jam on the Saturn.

[quote name='62t']they were able to use the lock on back with Sonic Jam on the Saturn.[/QUOTE]

I was unaware. I was simply trying to rationalize why it might be more difficult than the run-of-the-mill emulation. But apparently they've already figured it out. Good for us. And thanks for the note.

[quote name='benjamouth']The S&K combos have definitely been emulated, I couldn't say how easy/hard it was to do though.[/quote]

They're all on gametap, along with the rest of this collection. Not going to stop me from buying it though...

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Actually, not sure what you mean. There's already a small handful of games from Sega out there, and while it's not as much as the Virtual Console I'd rather pay $30 for this huge lot than a minimum $5 per game for individual downloads. I haven't seen too much about any reactionary measures from Sony or MS about this. The game is being published on both consoles and it hopefully benefits all involved. Perhaps they are testing the waters on this generation for compilation discs...there's been less this go-round than on PS2 or PSP for sure. So what's the big deal?[/quote]

What I'm saying is that they're going to be on the disc. Namely Gunstar Heroes.

S3&K is plenty easy to emulate.. there's software out there that can successfully flash the S&K data onto the correct location on the S3 flash ROM. When the emulation community first figured out how to do this (well over 10 years ago), there was a problem with the game not saving correctly, but a patch surfaced rather quickly. If this game doesn't have S3&K, there's no way I'm buying it.

[quote name='KingBroly']What I'm saying is that they're going to be on the disc. Namely Gunstar Heroes.[/QUOTE]

I would love to see that. But I'm guessing based on track record with Sega compilations that we won't since it's from Treasure. If it did end up on there, I would be thrilled because then the door is open to get Guardian Heroes someday too.

I'm personally hoping for Toejam and Earl. :pray:

[quote name='nnthomas']Every screen is from a Phantasy Star. 1 2 3 and 4 are all present on the first page.[/QUOTE]

Ooooh, very cool. I had google image searched but wanted to be sure. The list of unlockable titles hasn't been released yet, but hopefully this is the first slip of them since PS1 wasn't on the announced list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Woah, so that means PS is available on this set? It's only on the Master System (unless you count the Japanese-only Mega Drive port), so that'd be pretty nifty that they have the whole main series on one disc.

[quote name='PhrostByte']S3&K is plenty easy to emulate.. there's software out there that can successfully flash the S&K data onto the correct location on the S3 flash ROM. When the emulation community first figured out how to do this (well over 10 years ago), there was a problem with the game not saving correctly, but a patch surfaced rather quickly. If this game doesn't have S3&K, there's no way I'm buying it.[/quote]
That's right. the Sonic Mega Collection had all of the Sonic (1,2,3) plus S&K combos on it as unlockables. And like someone else said, all three combos are available on Gametap. Maybe they'll be unlockables on this disc?

Another round of screenshots went up on IGN.com and on the official Sega page. Looks like Space Harrier and Zaxxon are up along with another Shinobi game. Someone with an eagle eye want to help me out?

EDIT: Nevermind. Turns out Sega has a blog page which made an official announcement!

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2009/01/2...ction-9-unlockable-games-and-new-screenshots/

Golden Axe Warrior (SEGA Master System)
Phantasy Star (SEGA Master System)
Alien Syndrome (Arcade)
Altered Beast (Arcade)
Congo Bongo (Arcade)
Fantasy Zone (Arcade)
Shinobi (Arcade)
Space Harrier (Arcade)
Zaxxon (Arcade)

Yay! I'm excited for Space Harrier, Phantasy Star and Alien Syndrome!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have bit if this actually had online multiplayer. But I guess these compilations sell since people don't want to do the rom and emu thing.

I have a brother to play games with, and with Genesis games, I prefer to play them with someone I know personally, anywho. So I'm just happy this isn't like the Namco collection, which cuts out all 2p play for the Namco Virtual Arcade (which is wonderful otherwise.)

Anywho.... WOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Arcade SHINOBI! Arcade Space Harrier! I used to play Arcade Shinobi all the time, and THAT is the game that made me want a Sega Master System in the first place. I never even would have thought of it being on this collection. Together with all the other series this game has COMPLETE, The Unlockables are wonderful icing on the cake.

Anyone remember if Arcade Alien Syndrome is 2P? I know the Genesis one was, and I look forward to really getting to play this one, too. (I don't think I ever got to play the original Aracde machine...)

(I could go on and on about the amount of awesome in all these games, and how, technically, there is enough gaming on this disk to last MONTHS, especially with the RPGs, but noone wants to hear all that ranting, lol.)

[quote name='SAB-CA']I have a brother to play games with, and with Genesis games, I prefer to play them with someone I know personally, anywho. So I'm just happy this isn't like the Namco collection, which cuts out all 2p play for the Namco Virtual Arcade (which is wonderful otherwise.)

Anywho.... WOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Arcade SHINOBI! Arcade Space Harrier! I used to play Arcade Shinobi all the time, and THAT is the game that made me want a Sega Master System in the first place. I never even would have thought of it being on this collection. Together with all the other series this game has COMPLETE, The Unlockables are wonderful icing on the cake.

Anyone remember if Arcade Alien Syndrome is 2P? I know the Genesis one was, and I look forward to really getting to play this one, too. (I don't think I ever got to play the original Aracde machine...)

(I could go on and on about the amount of awesome in all these games, and how, technically, there is enough gaming on this disk to last MONTHS, especially with the RPGs, but noone wants to hear all that ranting, lol.)[/QUOTE]

I'd say rant on my friend. There's a small bit of "been there, done that" negativity surrounding collections and Sega. But I'm psyched. Full series of Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Sonic, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, etc, etc. All redone for 720, local 2-player (wish they could do online), achievements and such? Plenty here to keep me busy for a long time at $30.

I looked up Alien Syndrome on arcade-history.com and it says the arcade version was 2 player. I remember playing this on the NES with those Tengen carts.

Not sure why we need two versions of Altered Beast though....I don't think there's justification enough for both. Only a few more weeks away on this title.

I don't know why I'm somewhat interested in this disc. I've played most of these and have rebought most of these when I could (sonic collections and what not). Why can't Sega put out a disc with the Genesis Ghostbusters game? That was fun.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Why can't Sega put out a disc with the Genesis Ghostbusters game? [/quote]

I doubt they retained any kind of licensing rights to that. Same would apply to the X-Men and Disney games which I'd love to see.

bread's done
Back