Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection - Gen. Discussion & Info

This is great news. I thought for sure that there wouldn't be any more collections this gen due to downloadable games. But I'll wait for a used copy or a price reduction before buying. I already have the PS2 collection and all of the other games (plus more) are available on Gametap.

I wonder if this will work the same as the Namco collection, where the Sega games that have already been released on XBLA will be the on there and be the only ones with Achievements. I hope not.

[quote name='benjamouth']I wonder if this will work the same as the Namco collection, where the Sega games that have already been released on XBLA will be the on there and be the only ones with Achievements. I hope not.[/quote]

Wow, that would suck. Yes, let's hope not.

I preordered this last night during the StopWatch sale over at GameStop.com. Free overnight shipping on a $30 title, yes!

I was hoping that this:
Moonwalker_arcade_flyer.jpg

Would make the list...I had a blast playing that game when I was younger.

Moonwalker would be fun, it was a big deal back then. Damn these licensing issues.

I still hold out hope for
Phantasy Star I (unlockable I hope)
Toejam & Earl (I'd love parts 1 and 2 but that won't happen)

And a personal favorite which is screaming for some multiplayer.

300_134746.jpg

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I was hoping that this:

Would make the list...I had a blast playing that game when I was younger.[/QUOTE]

You linked to the flyer for the Arcade version, which rocks. The Genesis version however, sucks balls.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I was hoping that this:

Would make the list...I had a blast playing that game when I was younger.[/quote]
All I remember about the game was touching a monkey and turning into a robot. Needless to say it exceeded my expectations and was awesome based on that sole reason alone.

[quote name='lordwow']I bet the cheesemints on this are going to be insane.[/quote]

Unless they pull a Namco and the only cheese will come from the XBLA releases:

Sonic, Sonic 2, Ecco, Golden Axe, & Streets Of Rage

This doesn't really strike me as something that needs Achievements, but rather something that has achievements in hopes to get sales. Also, those filters suck, and the fact that they're required is a sin against retro gaming. And yes, I know you can turn them off, but they're still butt ugly.

Oh, and if the co-op games aren't all online, forget it.

Not too tough achievements. I'd prefer that in a game like this to some impossible feats like beat sonic without dying and such.

[quote name='BackInBlack']Now i can justify buying the xbla version of Sonic 3 when it comes out since this collection counts as one game :)[/QUOTE]

Quoted for truth.

Linkin: The Namco disc sucks for not even having a record of playing it :/

[quote name='ProtoEXE88']I never saw what was so great about Sonic CD... S3&K is still the best to me.

Anyways, S3&K with achievements (hopefully) will be godly to me, I can't wait for that game alone on the 360.

The collection is awesome though, sucks that I bought all of the classic Sega games on the XBLA though...[/quote]

As far as I'm concerned.. S3&K is the best platformer ever..

I only wish the graphics were redrawn in HD.. at least for the Sonic games.

A must buy for me.

I do wish Landstalker was on this, even though I own the Genesis cart and have it on Virtual Console.

I also wish the achievements were spread across more of the games.

The "play all arcade games" achievement kind of scares me. Not that I'm not happy with arcade games being included but I wanted Master System games as well. Maybe they'll still be there.

[quote name='PhrostByte']As far as I'm concerned.. S3&K is the best platformer ever..

I only wish the graphics were redrawn in HD.. at least for the Sonic games.[/quote]

Christ yes, Doomsday Zone anyone?

[quote name='BackInBlack']Christ yes, Doomsday Zone anyone?[/quote]

The whole game is amazing.. I mean the two games alone are 8/10 or 9/10.. but combining them, and the whole Hyper Emeralds thing.. and all the characters.. and even the intertwining stories.. the different paths for different characters, different bosses. It's just... DAMN I WANT IT. I wish it was 1080p instead of 720p though.

[quote name='nnthomas']Achievements kind of suck. They could have done better.[/QUOTE]

Agree with you on the achievements.

That being said, I know this is going to eat up tons of gaming time for me. Looking forward to playing some actual good Shining Force and Phantasy Star games. With all the crap games Sega makes, I can't understand why they can't make decent follow ups for PS and SF. Would a traditional SF really sell that much worse than games like SF: EXA and Neo?

[quote name='PhrostByte']The whole game is amazing.. I mean the two games alone are 8/10 or 9/10.. but combining them, and the whole Hyper Emeralds thing.. and all the characters.. and even the intertwining stories.. the different paths for different characters, different bosses. It's just... DAMN I WANT IT. I wish it was 1080p instead of 720p though.[/quote]

Is there a reason this hasn't made a collection recently? I know that S3&K was on an old PC CD collection a long while ago, but none near our present time. I guess Sega isn't trying to appeal to the hardcore crowd :(

I'd gladly pay 800-1200 points for S3&K with HARD achievements and HD.
Yes, i have a boner for this game.

Hmmm..... Might need to save some of that Christmas cash for this bucket of win.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one game compilation that is a must buy. I can't wait to replay Shinobi and the other Sega games again.:cool:

WOW, what an amazing collection of games
I thought it would've been another one of those Sega collections again
damn was i wrong, this is worth a purchase day one

$30 is a steal, you would barely get 1/8th of these games on virtual console
and I would much rather turn on my 360 than that Wii

[quote name='sleepy180']no battletoads or gunstar heroes.....hmmmmm

might have to pass.[/quote]
Neither of those are SEGA games. That's why you don't see Strider, Gunstar Heroes, Contra Hardcorps and so on.

This is a compilation of SEGA-made games. Not games that just happened to be on a SEGA console.

Anyways, most of the achievements seem fairly easy enough. This is basically an HD version of SEGA Genesis Collection with a few more extras (like the Streets of Rage series).

As for the lack of Sonic 3 & Knuckles...I'm just dying with hope that SEGA gets someone to make a version of the combo similar to what Capcom did to Bionic Commando for Rearmed. Holy fuck that would be wonderful. Unfortunately...Sonic Team is too stupid to realize what makes a good Sonic game these days.

There's gonna be hidden arcade games, according to the first post. Hopefully they'll be better than the ones included on Genesis Collection.

[quote name='Tsukento']Neither of those are SEGA games. That's why you don't see Strider, Gunstar Heroes, Contra Hardcorps and so on.

This is a compilation of SEGA-made games. Not games that just happened to be on a SEGA console.[/quote]

I was about to complain the lack of Warsong in this "Ultimate Genesis Collection" but then I read your post.

I will definitely pick this up. No achievements for Shining Force and SF2. :nottalking:

I did a quick check and figured something was odd. If you already have SEGA Genesis Collection and you're trying to figure out how to justify purchasing this, here are the games that were in SGC that aren't in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection:

Ecco Jr.
Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
Sword of Vermillion
Virtua Fighter 2

In place of those, you get the following:

Alien Storm
Beyond Oasis
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Dynamite Headdy
E-SWAT
Fatal Labyrinth
Shining in the Darkness
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3

So you lose four mediocre games and get a crap load of even better ones.

bread's done
Back