Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']I doubt they retained any kind of licensing rights to that. Same would apply to the X-Men and Disney games which I'd love to see.[/QUOTE]

Good point. Castle of Illusion was amazing. I remember jumping and bouncing on the jelly in that one stage.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Good point. Castle of Illusion was amazing. I remember jumping and bouncing on the jelly in that one stage.[/quote]

Yeah that was good stuff. In a perfect world I'd want both Mickey games, Quackshot and Aladdin. (And Landstalker, but heh)

wish this was coming to the US too instead of just going to Australia

ultimaterecord.png

[quote name='fart_bubble']wish this was coming to the US too instead of just going to Australia

ultimaterecord.png
[/quote]Ah well, let them have something nice for once. They get shafted on just about everything else.

On topic though, just preordered my copy, looking forward to some streets of rage :applause:

[quote name='PhrostByte']Um.. excuse me but where is my S3&K? :D[/quote]
That's a deal-breaker for me if it's not on this disc.

Oh god, I hope I'm wrong, but what if they make it DLC? :puke:

Well, according to the Player One Podcast's Phil, who worked on the game in some way that I forget, who also has the game, on their forums made the comment that he is glad he still has Sonic & Knuckles for the Genesis so he can take advantage of the game's lock-on technology feature.

Take that for what it's worth.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']That's a deal-breaker for me if it's not on this disc.

Oh god, I hope I'm wrong, but what if they make it DLC? :puke:[/QUOTE]

If I can't play it after throwing down $30.. they're not getting my money. It's that simple. I'll pay $30 for the convenience of being able to sit on my ass in front of a TV instead of on my computer... but if they're gonna be dicks about it, fuck them.

Oh ya, those mickey games rock. I remember playing those co-op and having a blast as a kid. Mmm if they were on here, I'd definitely get it. I've basically never really played any of these games aside from Sonic since I owned Nintendo consoles as a kid instead...

Really wish at least the first ToeJam & Earl was on here, but even still. that's a great lineup of games that I haven't played in a long time.

[quote name='KingBroly']Take that for what it's worth.[/QUOTE]

I personally am not a big fan of this second hand info, but you're right it's a possible lead and take it for what you will. I did pose the question about the Sonic & Knuckles backwards compatibility to Sega in the blog announcement that I linked to here at the top of page 8. The OP of the blog "kellie" did respond and say she'd find out. She has not posted yet, but a new blog went up today about the achievements. The reason I mention this is that at the bottom they promise a blog update tomorrow consisting of "a look at the unlockable games and features available in Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection". Hopefully we will find out tomorrow.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']That's a deal-breaker for me if it's not on this disc.

Oh god, I hope I'm wrong, but what if they make it DLC? :puke:[/quote]
It has to be on here, it was on Mega Collection Plus... Why would they decrease their flagship series entries on "Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection".

They haven't mentioned it at all. Not in unlockables, not when they were listing available games, nothing. Either they want people to think that it's in there and it doesn't need to be said, or it's just not in there. No reason to hide that information, especially since it was in previous collections, as you mentioned.

Altered Beast (Arcade) -- Earn 100,000 points in in stage one of Altered Beast (Genesis)
Alien Syndrome (Arcade) -- Complete stage one and two of Alien Storm without dying.
Congo Bongo (Arcade) -- Finish stage one of Streets of Rage 3 with all three characters.
Fantasy Zone (Arcade) -- Earn 80,000 points in Flicky.
Golden Axe Warrior -- Use magic ten times in Golden Axe 3.
Phantasy Star -- Finish act 1 of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 with two players.
Shinobi (Arcade) -- Finish stage one of Shinobi 3: The Return of the Ninja Master without dying.
Space Harrier (Arcade) -- Earn 1,500,000 points in stage one of Super Thunder Blade.
Zaxxon (Arcade) -- Collect five coins in DecapAttack.

And various interviews are unlocked by:

Earn 20,000 points in Columns.
Load Phantasy Star 2.
Load Phantasy Star 3.
Load Phantasy Star 4.
Earn a Chaos Emerald in Sonic the Hedgehog.
Earn $1,000 in Alex Kidd and the Enchanted Castle.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Altered Beast (Arcade) -- Earn 100,000 points in in stage one of Altered Beast (Genesis)
Alien Syndrome (Arcade) -- Complete stage one and two of Alien Storm without dying.
Congo Bongo (Arcade) -- Finish stage one of Streets of Rage 3 with all three characters.
Fantasy Zone (Arcade) -- Earn 80,000 points in Flicky.
Golden Axe Warrior -- Use magic ten times in Golden Axe 3.
Phantasy Star -- Finish act 1 of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 with two players.
Shinobi (Arcade) -- Finish stage one of Shinobi 3: The Return of the Ninja Master without dying.
Space Harrier (Arcade) -- Earn 1,500,000 points in stage one of Super Thunder Blade.
Zaxxon (Arcade) -- Collect five coins in DecapAttack.

And various interviews are unlocked by:

Earn 20,000 points in Columns.
Load Phantasy Star 2.
Load Phantasy Star 3.
Load Phantasy Star 4.
Earn a Chaos Emerald in Sonic the Hedgehog.
Earn $1,000 in Alex Kidd and the Enchanted Castle.[/QUOTE]

Well I guess I won't be playing Phantasy Star for a while...my friends all play over live. Multiplayer not done over the internet is soooo retro :)

Anyways, I'll be picking this up today. Maybe I'll try to find a cheap controller when I'm out so I can unlock these stupid non-online multiplayer achievements that I have seen in a few games.

I wonder if you can do the Phantasy Star unlock by starting a two player game and finishing Act 1 with just Sonic...getting a second controller for this isn't the problem, but finding another person might be.

[quote name='amishpriest']I wonder if you can do the Phantasy Star unlock by starting a two player game and finishing Act 1 with just Sonic...getting a second controller for this isn't the problem, but finding another person might be.[/quote]

That was my thought... doesn't Tails just keep catching up when he falls behind even as player 2?

[quote name='GizmoGC']Congo Bongo (Arcade) -- Finish stage one of Streets of Rage 3 with all three characters.[/QUOTE]

Streets of Rage 3 has four (technically more like five) characters. Meant to be Streets of Rage 1, I'd guess?

I can't believe Sonic 3 and Knuckles wasn't included.

They said it was because of space constraints. Which is BS, handful of code to get the two ROMs to load different (as Sonic 3, or as Sonic 3 and Knuckles) would be a few MB. Still though, I gotta pick this up since I've got a ton of GS credit.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I can't believe Sonic 3 and Knuckles wasn't included.

They said it was because of space constraints. Which is BS, handful of code to get the two ROMs to load different (as Sonic 3, or as Sonic 3 and Knuckles) would be a few MB. Still though, I gotta pick this up since I've got a ton of GS credit.[/quote]
Remember that it's not just ROMs slapped on a disc.

There are video interviews, arcade games, Master System games and Genesis games. It's not like the 360 runs ROMs automatically; has to run through emulation for each game and type of game. Plus the filters that can be applied to the games (which are basically the equivalent of smearing and blurring; this can be found in the Sonic games on XBLA).

Then there's the coding that activates Achievements.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I can't believe Sonic 3 and Knuckles wasn't included.

They said it was because of space constraints. Which is BS, handful of code to get the two ROMs to load different (as Sonic 3, or as Sonic 3 and Knuckles) would be a few MB. Still though, I gotta pick this up since I've got a ton of GS credit.[/QUOTE]

From what I've seen online, the two ROMs are separate entities.

Ignoring that, I haven't seen an emulator yet that's designed to run multiple games at once, since that isn't how consoles worked.

I don't know if it was oversight, intentional or what, but I'd buy it at least from a technical aspect. Even if it is possible to run the game, trying to get that kind of extra code working can be a colossal pain in the ass. The GameCube version of Majora's Mask is testament to that, and so is the fact we haven't seen any N64 games that used the Expansion Pak on the Virtual Console.

Of course, all of that disregards the fact that it was previously done in the last gen compilations, but still. If it's really that big of a deal, there are ways to play it on the 360. I just think it's a bit dumb to write off the entire compilation because it's missing one Sonic title.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']The games only 3 gigs though when installed to the HD.[/QUOTE]

I'm still new to Xbox ownership. Does installing the game take EVERYTHING off the disc, or do they skip things like videos that aren't really necessary to install?

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']I'm still new to Xbox ownership. Does installing the game take EVERYTHING off the disc, or do they skip things like videos that aren't really necessary to install?[/quote]

i think it rips the entire disc to your hard drive so the disc dosnt spin, it is just in the tray to prove you have it and whatnot.

I'm not trying to write off the collection. It is truly idiotic though that Sonic 3 and Knuckles is exluded. Sega could have writen a routine to combine the contents of the two ROMs together when needed (for the selection of Sonic 3 and Knuckles) or even precombined the two ROMs from the get-go. This is completely not a space issue, no bullshit.

A fellow poster at a Sonic message board (a portion of which deals with hacking) posted this.

/* Super amazing lock-on ROM functionality!
* This would take Sega over 9,000 hours to write,
* but any half-decent programmer could do it in 5 minutes! */

unsigned char ROM[0×400000]; // 4 MB ROM buffer.
FILE *sk = fopen("sonic_and_knuckles.bin", "rb"); // open the Sonic & Knuckles ROM
fread(&ROM[0], 1, 0×200000, sk);
fclose(sk);
FILE *s3 = fopen("sonic_3.bin", "rb"); // open the Sonic 3 ROM
fread(&ROM[0×200000], 1, 0×200000, s3);
fclose(s3);

He says this is the line of code required to make Sonic 3 and Knuckles possible, and I'm inclined to believe him. The original Sonic and Knuckles cartridge with the "lock-on technology" wasn't really that advanced. More like a brilliant marketing idea by Sega when they wanted to release Sonic 3 half done.

EDIT: I really have to wonder if and when Sonic 3 comes out on XBLA, if they're going to release it as Sonic 3 and Knuckles for 800 points.

No S&K3...I can wait for a price drop. Still, that's a lot of good games on there, but it's the fact that they could've threw it in the disc if they wanted to invest some more time into the game.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']fuck Columns, I can't get above 10K :bomb:[/QUOTE]
Hang in there Linky. My first run I only got 8k.

Then I realized I wasn't the world's best Columns player, so I cheated like a little bitch. I paused after I dropped each column so I could figure out my best move (it tells you your next column, even while paused) In explicably, around level 6 or 10K, I can't remember what level or score, it slows down a lot briefly. This gave me time to build for the future.

I had the whole screen nearly filled and I was only at 16K. I thought I was done and then I dropped and got a huge combo that gave me enough room to get the last 2K I needed. Incidentally, it seems like you get a ton of points for just dropping a column towards the end, not even matching up colors. I got my last 800 when I paniced and had no where to stick my block.

Gotten in a few hours with this so far; here's my first reactions.

+ The games look and play good. I did have some weird slowdowns and such, much like the original cartridges.

+ 3 save slots per game, all games. So you can save game status anytime and pick up from there.

+ Achievements are varied among the games and generally easy. Not all of them though....beating Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is a pain.

- The detail in the behind the scenes. The interviews I've watched are fairly short and I haven't been too intrigued. I'm hoping there's better stuff with the Phantasy Star interview clips. Also, the bio's for each game do come with neat "Did you know" sections, but there's little else there. The info pieces are from the original boxes and the "art" is a low res static art file of the game cartridge and original box art. How about a 3D model like with Smash Brothers?

+ and - The sound. Some games it's awesome to hear the old music and such, others the effects and such are god-awful when pumped through today's sound systems.

I wonder what happened with the S3 & K combo? Perhaps it was a redundancy thing? Since each game is on there separately and with it's own save slots and such, it probably would need to be programmed stand-alone.

[quote name='nnthomas']This collection is making me realise that most of these classics are garbage and nostalgia did not help one bit[/QUOTE]

Most? Some, maybe...

Are you people really bitching about not being able to play Sonic 3 and Knuckles continuously off one boot from the same disc? Or does the bitching concern not being able to play with Knuckles (also use to be an option on Sonic 2)? It's really not that big of a deal breaker to have Knuckles excluded from Sonic 3.

Either way Sega was lazy, and some of you also seem as lazy about having to boot Sonic 3 once and Sonic Knuckles... I know the game is not united into one like it was intended but this is like complaining about switching discs when watching a long movies, in this case however the two parts of the movie are on one disc.

I think the main reason Sega did this is because they realize that there are people out there that are not going to beat all these games, so they wanted them to enjoy the awesomeness of Sonic & Knuckles without having to go through Sonic 3... Let's not forget how many people got stuck in Sonic 3's Carnival Night level, I would not be surprised if that particular issue will rise up again with this collection out.

And here's the solution to anyone who doesn't know or either forgot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39HwCcwzbmY

I don't own a Genesis anymore, and I don't own any of the previous collections. I think I have a little right to be slightly annoyed.

And please, if they figured that people wouldn't beat all of those games, why make the collection in the first place?

[quote name='bardiya27']Either way Sega was lazy, and some of you also seem as lazy about having to boot Sonic 3 once and Sonic Knuckles... I know the game is not united into one like it was intended but this is like complaining about switching discs when watching a long movies, in this case however the two parts of the movie are on one disc.
[/QUOTE]
It's not about being too lazy to have to boot the two games seperately. Your analogy also sucks. The movie does not change for it being on two discs or split-- it is the same regardless. However, when you play Sonic 3 and Knuckles, there are differences in the game instead of simply playing the two games seperately. Super Emeralds, and being able to play as Super Tails (which is impossible if you only play Sonic 3) or simply being able to play as Tails at all in Sonic and Knuckles. Also, some other small differences such as playing through the Knuckles' only route in Sonic 3, some edits in the cutscenes (if you want to call them cutscenes, not sure what to call them) to link the two games and the ability to play the slot machine bonus stage in Sonic 3.

The core game is there, but you made it sound like you're losing nothing by not having the games linked and that's not true.

Hmmm, I tend to think in the age if internet message boards that people voicing their concerns or complaints about a game would be second-hand by now. So some people are upset? So what? They will chose to spend the money or not and others like me will still enjoy the collection.

Didn't see this game at any store today, even best buy, yet I went online and bought it for in store pick up.

Not the first time I've never seen something on the shelf at BB and they actually had it in the stock room.

bread's done
Back