Sony In Trouble?

Citing NPD numbers as well as industry analysts, the article points out that November sales for the PS3 had dropped 19% from November 2007, with December sales expected to be either flat or lower that the year previous, indicating that Sony's target of 10 million consoles sold during the fiscal year might well be unattainable. The article also notes that rival Nintendo doubled sales from the previous November, with Xbox 360 sales seeing an 8% rise.

:cold:

We know you're not sad Temp, based on various OTT posts I've read. First off, this is Kotaku who decides to bring up more crap just to get hits again. We all remember the time they posted an article from a CAG Blog.

Sony even stated themselves the PS3 pricetag is really only going for hardcore gamers right now. While they'd love to reach the casual crowd, they understand they cannot do that right now because they cannot lower the price. MS on the other hand is VERY eager to go after the casual market which is why they catered their E3 that way along with trying to reduce the price of the 360.

Being last place is NOT a problem for Sony. Let's just say MS was 2nd place, and they were losing tons of money (where MS decides to price 360 crazy low just to make more people buy it), while Sony was in 3rd place but not losing money. Last gen, while GC was third overall, Nintendo was actually making more money on GC than MS was on Xbox. Being the top isn't everything, it's all about profiting. If you can be at the top and profit, awesome. If you are better off being last place and profiting, then do so.

Sony is NOT leaving video games, anytime soon. They are losing LESS money each year and are looking to finall turn profit in their video game sector, or least be closer to breaking even.

And btw, why do people think there's no hope when PS3 was leading 360 in sales this year in NA for 10 months, until MS really cut the price? PS3 has been doing very well in Europe also. PS3 has been ahead of 360 in Japan too.

While Kotaku tries to claim Sony is on a 10 million target, that's actually wrong. Their goal was to actually meet 18 million - 19 million consoles by fiscal year in March 2009. According to Howard Stringer and others, Sony has actually been ahead of that target for a while, at its current price point. Last year they weren't on target, which is why they wouldn't cut the price.

Am I the first to blame Home? Well, I blame Home and all those jerks that pretend to be women. Shame on them.

The reason the 360 sold so much is that 80% of those sales are people buying a NEW 360 to make up for those shitty ones. You see what the 360 fans do is after they get a refurb or two or ten buy a new model because you know what they say. Buy a piece of shit, buy another. So once they buy a new 360, they put that old 360 on ebay. At least that's what several of my friends did.

It's just old 360 owners buying new 360s to get the Jasper chip in hopes of getting a stable console and then selling the old one on ebay to cover some of that cost. That's what's really happening.

[quote name='Paco']The reason the 360 sold so much is that 80% of those sales are people buying a NEW 360 to make up for those shitty ones. You see what the 360 fans do is after they get a refurb or two or ten buy a new model because you know what they say. Buy a piece of shit, buy another. So once they buy a new 360, they put that old 360 on ebay. At least that's what several of my friends did.

It's just old 360 owners buying new 360s to get the Jasper chip in hopes of getting a stable console and then selling the old one on ebay to cover some of that cost. That's what's really happening.[/quote]

Yeah thats what I just did. I traded in my 360 and waiting for a Jasper to show up at my gamestop.

Being in last place may not be a problem for Sony but it is a problem for Sony exclusive developers. Just look at Factor 5 and Free Radical, two high profile developers that are going under within weeks of each other. It's no coincidence that they're also responsible for two PS3 exclusives. It might be a different story if the install base were higher. Just how long is Sony going to wait before all exclusive development dries up?

[quote name='The Mana Knight']We know you're not sad Temp, based on various OTT posts I've read. First off, this is Kotaku who decides to bring up more crap just to get hits again. We all remember the time they posted an article from a CAG Blog.

Sony even stated themselves the PS3 pricetag is really only going for hardcore gamers right now. While they'd love to reach the casual crowd, they understand they cannot do that right now because they cannot lower the price. MS on the other hand is VERY eager to go after the casual market which is why they catered their E3 that way along with trying to reduce the price of the 360.

Being last place is NOT a problem for Sony. Let's just say MS was 2nd place, and they were losing tons of money (where MS decides to price 360 crazy low just to make more people buy it), while Sony was in 3rd place but not losing money. Last gen, while GC was third overall, Nintendo was actually making more money on GC than MS was on Xbox. Being the top isn't everything, it's all about profiting. If you can be at the top and profit, awesome. If you are better off being last place and profiting, then do so.

Sony is NOT leaving video games, anytime soon. They are losing LESS money each year and are looking to finall turn profit in their video game sector, or least be closer to breaking even.

And btw, why do people think there's no hope when PS3 was leading 360 in sales this year in NA for 10 months, until MS really cut the price? PS3 has been doing very well in Europe also. PS3 has been ahead of 360 in Japan too.

While Kotaku tries to claim Sony is on a 10 million target, that's actually wrong. Their goal was to actually meet 18 million - 19 million consoles by fiscal year in March 2009. According to Howard Stringer and others, Sony has actually been ahead of that target for a while, at its current price point. Last year they weren't on target, which is why they wouldn't cut the price.[/quote]

Are you implying that I have a bias against Sony? :cry:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aGE0AE8Gfb8c&refer=home

Sony came out this morning with their cost of the PS3 being $448.73. They used to have the cost at $690.23. Needless to say, they are losing a lot less money per console.

Sony is the number 2 consumer electronics manufacturer in the world. They aren't going anywhere any time soon.

Edit: What the fuck are you talking about with "does this mean Sony went bankrupt?" Nothing in the article even remotely implies that.

[quote name='Interstella 5555']Yeah thats what I just did. I traded in my 360 and waiting for a Jasper to show up at my gamestop.[/quote]

I love my PS3... and my Bravia TV, and my Bravia receiver, and my Sony Card...

Err... did you edit your post a split second before I quoted it?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The Mana Knight']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=5277

I remember that.[/quote]

That would be a PS3 bias, not a Sony bias.

DSCF0079.jpg

There stuck in 3rd this generation for 100% sure. But they can do better next gen. They can launch cheaper since Blu Ray will be cheaper (can at least be the same price as the next Xbox), and that will help a great deal.

They have to find some exclusives though. The third party exclusives like GTA3, Final Fantasy etc. are pretty much gone. They have some good first party games, but nothing with the power of Halo or Gears of War.

I'd love to see them just partner up with MS and get all the good HD franchises in one place, but it will never happen. There's really no need for two consoles that are so similar power wise IMO. Would be great to just haved a Sony/MS machine and a Nintendo machine.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']We know you're not sad Temp, based on various OTT posts I've read. First off, this is Kotaku who decides to bring up more crap just to get hits again. We all remember the time they posted an article from a CAG Blog.

While Kotaku tries to claim Sony is on a 10 million target, that's actually wrong. Their goal was to actually meet 18 million - 19 million consoles by fiscal year in March 2009. According to Howard Stringer and others, Sony has actually been ahead of that target for a while, at its current price point. Last year they weren't on target, which is why they wouldn't cut the price.[/QUOTE]

I wonder how much of these posts are really just his hopes and expectations for Sony vs. reality.

[quote name='dcfox']Just look at Factor 5 and Free Radical, two high profile developers that are going under within weeks of each other. It's no coincidence that they're also responsible for two PS3 exclusives. [/quote]

Let us not forget that Lair and Haze were not only PS3 exclusives, but also absolutely horrible failures because the gameplay was a horrible failure. That's like saying Konami and Media Molecule would be going under because their PS3 exclusives.

Seems like a new one of these threads pops up every week.

1) It's funny that people who try to provide counter-points to the main argument are labeled "Sony Defense Force." Guess we should just all become sheep, go :whee:, and dig a grave for Sony.

2) Every article that says Sony is in trouble must be discussed, in length, and no one makes any ground. Wouldn't it make more sense to just combine these all into one thread? That is, of course, everyone spending time typing the same thing ad nauseum.

[quote name='QiG']Let us not forget that Lair and Haze were not only PS3 exclusives, but also absolutely horrible failures because the gameplay was a horrible failure. That's like saying Konami and Media Molecule would be going under because their PS3 exclusives.[/QUOTE]

QFT.

Lest we forget what Factor 5 was really shooting for w/ Lair...
20070518.jpg

[quote name='Ecofreak']Seems like a new one of these threads pops up every week.

1) It's funny that people who try to provide counter-points to the main argument are labeled "Sony Defense Force." Guess we should just all become sheep, go :whee:, and dig a grave for Sony.

2) Every article that says Sony is in trouble must be discussed, in length, and no one makes any ground. Wouldn't it make more sense to just combine these all into one thread? That is, of course, everyone spending time typing the same thing ad nauseum.[/QUOTE]

You're missing the point. we're all just trolling tmk.

[quote name='QiG']Let us not forget that Lair and Haze were not only PS3 exclusives, but also absolutely horrible failures because the gameplay was a horrible failure. That's like saying Konami and Media Molecule would be going under because their PS3 exclusives.[/QUOTE]Pretty much. Free Radical was already in trouble because Timesplitters 3 sold below expectations and Second Sight (or whatever their other game was called was a huge bomb). Due to those games not performing well, along with them struggling to find publishers now (since most big publishers no longer want to work with them now), that's why they are in trouble now.

With LAIR, Sony themselves are the ones who made most of the investment on the game, and since it bombed, Factor 5 didn't exactly make money to be able to fund another project. What hurt Factor 5 more was Brash going under (they were making Superman for them), which kind of had their financial problems fall on Factor 5.

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/brash-entertainment-collaborating-with-factor-5/?biz=1

http://news.bigdownload.com/2008/11/14/rumor-brash-entertainment-done/

What it really comes down to right now is, unless you have a big publisher backing your next game before development starts (I'm talking about an HD console retail game here) or your previous games weren't bombs, you'll have a VERY hard time lasting through this recession. Banks aren't giving many people loans these days (some of the companies might still owe money to the bank) unless your credit is superb. That is why many smaller developers (such as Evolution Studios, Bizarre Creations, etc.) have been absorbed into larger publishers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, we're blaming the recession? Would someone in that group reconcile the recession blame with the fact that sales and revenue are at record highs? Certainly long term credit and costs are a legitimate issue, but that has more to do with the business model being unsustainable, good times or not.

first off its a kotaku article that in itself should warrant some serious skepticism. i think on both ends of the coin microsoft and sony are losing on their respective consoles for one reason or another with nintendo making the only profit. that said both microsoft and sony have a pretty deep well to drink from since theyre not solely console makers its just one branch of many they have.

i think exclusives from other developers will probably fall off for the next few years since why pay extra to keep a game off a rival console when it inevitably ends up on it years later. you may see something like they did with gta4( with system eclusive dlc) but each company will always have those flagship titles created in their own company that will always be exclusives like halo , sly coper god of war or ratchet and clank ( sorry i dont know of too many xbox exclusives.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']That would be a PS3 bias, not a Sony bias.

DSCF0079.jpg
[/quote]

reported for use of the D word.......j/k

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Wait, we're blaming the recession? Would someone in that group reconcile the recession blame with the fact that sales and revenue are at record highs? Certainly long term credit and costs are a legitimate issue, but that has more to do with the business model being unsustainable, good times or not.[/QUOTE]

Is it unreasonable to argue that people are willing to spend money during a recession, but not a fuckton of it? The price gap b/w Wii/360/PS3 was always an issue with the lot of you before, n'cest pas? So why would it suddenly *cease* to matter after the 360 has dropped its price such that the Wii/360 price gap is negligible, and also we're knee deep in a giant depression (let's not fool ourselves, it'll be one before all is said and done)?

[quote name='QiG']Let us not forget that Lair and Haze were not only PS3 exclusives, but also absolutely horrible failures because the gameplay was a horrible failure. That's like saying Konami and Media Molecule would be going under because their PS3 exclusives.[/quote]
Maybe not Konami but it wouldn't be a stretch to think Media Molecule might end up having to tighten up their belts a little. I could be wrong but I don't think Little Big Planet has been lighting up the sales charts.

That was mainly regarding TMK's statement of the developer cost/credit side. Software sales are quite robust. While the downturn is certainly going to have an impact, I think its catching a lot of the blame that should belong to the business model as far as development is concerned.

Regarding hardware - while people's wallets are certainly tighter, I think the bigger issue is what people value. Consumers largely see the two HD consoles to be interchangeable. They dont necessarily mind spending $400, some of them may have spent that much on a Wii less than a year ago. Many have purchased HDTVs and standalone blu-ray players this season. The divisions within Sony that handle those high end products are doing fine. But $400 is a bad value for a PS3 when the 360 satisfies most people's needs starting at half the entry price.

The Wii is blowing away the 360 with the popular arcade unit being cheaper, just as the PS2 held at $300 and stomped the competition even with the Gamecube launching at $200.

SCE is acting like they are the market leader in that they are keeping a higher price than their competitors. However, they have no choice. They cant drop it. I assume they also know that price drops have never changed the fortunes of a system. Better to be 3rd and only losing 3 billion rather than 5.

I knowww!!!!
I never had a PS2, and I don't want to buy one. However, I would gladly pick up some PS2 games and play them on my PS3.

But No0o0o0o0o0o0o0o!

[quote name='manthing']Sony needs to bring back PS2 BC, or work on software BC[/QUOTE]They ARE working on it.

We have been informed that a job listing has been recently added to the Sony Computer Entertainment International careers website. The listing calls for a "PlayStation 3 compatibility feature engineer" with a job role that would require the applicant to "implement and improve an emulator on the PlayStation 3 and next gen systems. Target systems:pS1, PS2, PS3, PSP"
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/01/17/curious-job-listing-found-on-the-scei-website/

I don't think I need to make my lengthy post again about why it was removed, and what their plans are.

Overall, I just want to get one thing straight here. Sony KNOWS PS3 is costly to produce (thanks to Ken K., who is no longer employed by them). There is NO way Sony is going to try to price competitively just to be at the top. Howard Stringer even admitted PS3 was kind of being positioned like a Mercedes. Sony doesn't give a crap if MS or Nintendo is selling 10000000X more. Their goal is just to keep PS3 along, sell it to a cost where they won't take too big of a hit, even if they'll have a smaller userbase. Third parties are STILL going to support Sony because they do still get a decent percentage of their sales on PS3. Sony isn't going to stop making first party games any time soon. They just accepted the fact their console is costly to produce (and the main reason it's expensive is NOT blu-ray, it's the actual hardware components on the main motherboard that are expensive) and they will try to not make the same mistake next gen (plus Ken K. is out, so they will most likely design a console that suits them). Anyone who tries fighting and crapping on Sony for not having big sales is just wasting their time. Sony just cares about being profiting, NOT bleeding money. There's no doubt their first 1-2 years when they release a platform go that way, but normally things change after a while. If people are going to buy less consoles during the recessision because of price, Sony will just make less PS3 consoles. Do I really care about PS3 being the top console? No, because it is by far my favorite next gen console (and yes I own all).

People are just beating a dead horse, that's all.

Yes yes they got rid of it to cut costs. That's great, but it still should NEVER have been taken out. The thing is still mad expensive so why even bother??

BC is a MUST these days, IMO.
The 360 does a somewhat decent job, and for once the Wii exceeds at something (yes, the Wii IS a GCN :lol:).

bread's done
Back