Sony In Trouble?

[quote name='lilboo']Yes yes they got rid of it to cut costs. That's great, but it still should NEVER have been taken out. The thing is still mad expensive so why even bother??

BC is a MUST these days, IMO.
The 360 does a somewhat decent job, and for once the Wii exceeds at something (yes, the Wii IS a GCN :lol:).[/QUOTE]All right, I'll explain the reason:

I've said it over and over again, I knew this was coming and was actually shocked the MGS4 bundle had it. Europe and Japan stopped getting any model with PS2 BC late last year.

Anyway, the big problem with the PS3 before the introduction of the 40GB was Sony was taking a MASSIVE loss per every console sold. At launch, Sony took a $240 hit on the 60GB and a $300 hit on the 20GB (this was with FULL BC). To let everyone know, Blu-ray is NOT the reason Sony takes a massive loss on PS3. Near launch, using blu-ray was only $100 more (when compared to DVD), but now the costs have dropped to around $8 more (due to the blu-ray disc diode dropping from $100 to $8 last year in August). There was originally never suppose to be full PS2 BC using both the EE + GS and several PS2 components. The reason Sony used it was because the software emulated EE was NOT ready in time at launch. Around March in 2007, the software emulated EE was finished, which is why every 20/60GB SKU within the U.S. wasn't manufactured after the 2nd half of 2007 (I believe production stopped in March 2007, but I could be wrong). Once it was ready, it was used during the European launch and the U.S./Korea 80GB. There's no denying the costs were cut down a bit by going this method; however, the GS was still needed along with other components. Still, the costs of the PS3 were still greatly over the MSRP.

Last gen, Sony had no problems taking an early loss on PS2 because software sales were good (making up for loses in hardware), and Sony was struggling to keep PS2 on the shelves for a while (so it was kind of worth it). This gen, people complained about the PS3 costing $500 to $600, and Sony couldn't easily cut the cost anymore. And due to PS3 sales being quite low (with consoles sitting on store shelves), with Sony still taking a pretty big hit per consoles sold AND due to not making much money back in accessories/game sales to recover, they had to do something to stay in business. They basically had three options:
-Just kill PS3 and be done with it (no more loses).
-Never drop the price of the original PS3 (keep it at $600 until it's at a point where the manufacturing costs go lower).
-Release a new SKU, that greatly reduces the cost and could be priced more competitively.

They chose the third option, since the major complaint about the PS3 was price (people complained, that's why Sony had to cut features out to bring its price down). They must include the HDD still it's standard (40GB increments are the cheapest in bulk, due to being industry standard, that's why 40GB was chosen). Cell + RSX combo isn't cheap, but needed in every PS3 (Going 65nm for 40GB helped, but not a lot). Card readers could be cut, although that only saves like $15. There's no way of having WiFi on PS3 (unless you put together a wireless bridge or use a wireless gaming adapter), so they left it in (although it's quite cheap to use). Bluetooth must be used for the controllers, and blu-ray was needed for games. So, what had to go was the PS2 BC (PS1 BC is 100% software, so it costs $0.00 to implement). Eliminating the PS2 BC completely allow for:
-Smaller PCB (if you look at the 40GB, it has a smaller printed circuit board).
-Much less components, also drawing much less current. And when you have less current being drawn, electronic parts with lower wattage ratings can be used (which are cheaper).
-Overall, less solder being used due to no PS2 components.
-Maybe (no guarantee), fewer layers are needed on the PCB (I do not know how many layers it uses, but from what I learned when making PCBs, adding a layer adds a LOT to the cost of making a circuit board).

Removing 2 USB ports helped shave a few $$$.

Some may think adding some PS2 components is just a few $$$. Not really actually, since the PS2 actually costs just under $100 to produce (once you remove the DVD drive, it still costs around $80). It's not like Sony just takes PS2 components and shove them in the PS3 (even for the software emulated EE), they actually have to use different components for the PS2 BC within any SKU that has it. The power used up by the PS3 is much greater than the PS2; therefore, more expensive components have to be used in order to work without burning out on the PS3. So in reality, the estimates are it costs Sony around $90-$130 (lower end being no EE, higher end being EE and more components) just to add PS2 BC. If PS2 BC was 100% software (no GS and no EE), it would be there. One BIG reason the Xbox 360 is cheaper, has to do with having ZERO original Xbox components in for its BC (if it did, the cost of it would have been much more). The Wii basically uses GC components that make creating its BC easy.

How much did it cost Sony to produce the 40GB?? Only $400. The problem is there's still retailer loyalty and shipping, but regardless, the loss is tiny. Howard Stringer (CEO of Sony Corp) especially put pressure on SCE to soften the loses on PS3, so that's what they did.

The bad news is, this will turn some people off because they feel PS2 BC is a must. Well, the problem is if they buy a PS3, don't buy a single game, and only buy used PS2 games cheap, Sony ends up taking a big hit on their console and continues to increase their debt (Sony already lost $3 billion in PS3 production cost). So in ways, if someone really wants to play PS2 games, Sony kind of rather they buy a PS2 because they make a small profit from it (and they still make them). Yeah Sony may also lose some sales, but right now, Sony rather take a sales hit just to break even (because their gaming division took quite a hit. Even if PS3 NEVER used blu-ray, the hit would still be close to $2 billion at its current pricing).

So, does Sony plan to make a software emulated BC on PS3? They have hired people in Japan to work on PS2 emulation. There's a good chance it will happen, but there's ONE problem with emulated PS2 games. The reason the GS chip was needed (for the 80GB) is because it has a REALLY high fill rate (even said to be higher than PS3/360). Because of that, it's really hard to emulate PS2 games properly with the hardware that PS3 is. Without a doubt Sony will try to make magic, but that's the bottleneck.

The only way for Sony to be able to keep PS2 BC right now is if they were to price a console at $500 (with 40GB features and 40GB HDD). Still the issue is, that's still too high of an introductory price ($400 is more acceptable) and there's no way Sony is going to take another massive hit with PS3 losing money.

Yes it may suck, but at the same time it keeps Sony priced more competitively (within the middle of the 360 main SKUs).

The reason for the change from 40GB to 80GB was:
-A new SKU was coming with a DS3 anyway, since SIXAXIS production stopped a while ago.
-MS was planning on upping the Xbox 360 Pro SKU HDD by 40GB, putting Sony 20GB behind at a higher price. Going from 40GB to 80GB, that puts Sony back in the same position again against MS.
-Game installs have become frequent, along with a TV/Movie download service. Bigger HDD was REALLY needed (The most Sony could have done is drop the 40GB price by like $15-$20).

SCEA said before, if you want a 60GB, it was being discontinued forever (don't worry, they have extras for replacement). And the 80GB w/ PS2 BC are only limited edition (where once the timeframe of being made is up, their done). The MGS4 bundle in the U.S. was released to give some a 2nd chance (for a limited time), but some still complained (their loss). The main reason SCEA is keeping supply limited is to not overproduce a SKU they lose money on, and they want to stick to ONE SKU (one reason the Wii does well is zero SKU confusion). Europe lacks the confusion and it helps. In reality, PS3 sales actually did pretty well when it was just the 40GB from Feb. to May being sold (it outsold 360 overall). And I do believe the one SKU thing works (hardcore gamers here can understand the differences, but casuals get too easily confused. They want the features of the expensive SKU, but do not want to pay it. Once they see only one SKU of choice, it's either take it or leave it).

This is my long explanation and I hope everyone remembers. The MAIN reason why PS2 BC was cut (I'll say it again) is the price of adding PS2 components (regardless of SKU) costs too much, and at a point Sony has to take a loss. If people were willing to pay the launch prices of the PS3 (I knew all along it was a great deal), none of this may have happened.

Do I care about PS2 BC? When I first got my PS3, yes because I had no HDTV and didn't have a PS3 game. Now, I don't care. I actually want to buy a 40GB right now since I never use the PS2 BC. Yes PS2 has some good games, but I just can't stand to look at them upscaled on my HDTV (upscaling is ok, but nothing special IMO. DVD upscaling is great though). Also, I hate the fact you have to reconnect the controller back and forth (there's no way around it since PS2 hardware is used, the bluetooth has to connect with the PS2) and I'm signed off of PSN (reasons are PS2 has online games on other networks as one reason, and another being hardware related). Also, can't play most PS2 GH games on PS3 and Taiko Drum Master w/ the accessories. And finding a good USB adapter for some accessories is a pain (some lack a PS Button which is worse). Also, triggers on the PS3 controller just don't work well for some PS2 games.

It's really just comes down to cost. If people didn't complain early on how much they were paying for PS3 and just bought it, PS2 BC would have stayed. Because it was a costly feature to add (even when the EE wasn't included) and Sony to be pressured to lower price based on outcry, they removed it (removing WiFi, blu-ray, bluetooth, over PS2 BC (saying PS3 was using DVD for games) would not have made PS3 any cheaper (if anything, slightly more expensive when compared to the 40GB/new 80GB)).
[quote name='ninja dog']1/17/08...that was back when there was hope that this might be a good year for Sony.[/QUOTE]Appossum, Sony was LEADING 360 for 10 months THIS year in NA UNTIL MS CUT it's price heavily to get back ahead. PS3 STILL continues to outsell 360 in Japan. PS3 is STILL doing pretty well in most European countries.

But Mana, there are certain things that costs SHOULDN'T matter. Having BC is important. It eventually would have gotten cheaper (like most parts) so that is one thing that should have stayed, regardless. A loss is a loss. I understand that it was a lot larger at first, but they are STILL losing money now.

Take ME for example. I never had a PS2. So, if they kept PS2 playback in the PS3.. I would ACTUALLY buy PS2 games. This means they would get more money from me, because they still produce PS2 titles.

I am sure there's more people like that.

The other stuff that they took out (like 4->2 USB) is whatever. Things like that are no big deal since you can always use a hub.

*highfive* @ lilboo.

I want a PS3, but only with PS2 BC. I already have a few games for my inevitable PS3(Lair, Singstar, and Full Auto).

I've been picking up a bunch of PS2 games due to the recent Hollywood/BB sales.

I would like to play them on my HDTV, but even with OFFICIAL SONY component cables, all of the PS2 games I own look terrible on it(save God of War 2), to the point I don't want to play them on my HDTV.

I want a PS3 for upscaled PS2 games and :br:, and to make Singstar videos for Youtube :oops:

I have to admit the only reason I jumpd on the PS3 so early was to make sure I got a unit that had some b/c. I saw the writing on the wall when they started to phase out the hardware b/c.

Appossum, Sony was LEADING 360 for 10 months THIS year in NA UNTIL MS CUT it's price heavily to get back ahead. PS3 STILL continues to outsell 360 in Japan. PS3 is STILL doing pretty well in most European countries.

Then they lost the lead completely. Sony is dying. Kutaragi's ghost is having the last laugh. they will be bought out by MS pretty soon or go 3rd party. It's over. Sony is finished.

[quote name='lilboo']But Mana, there are certain things that costs SHOULDN'T matter. Having BC is important. It eventually would have gotten cheaper (like most parts) so that is one thing that should have stayed, regardless. A loss is a loss. I understand that it was a lot larger at first, but they are STILL losing money now.[/quote]The problem is, PS2 BC has already reached its lower point of costs. Manufacturing costs of electronics have an exponential decay. PS2 components were already towards the bottom of the curve and were not going to decrease much over time.

Take ME for example. I never had a PS2. So, if they kept PS2 playback in the PS3.. I would ACTUALLY buy PS2 games. This means they would get more money from me, because they still produce PS2 titles.
You should have bought a PS3 earlier then. One reason Sony (like when the MGS4 80GB was around. They said over and over again that was everyones last choice). Sony had the PS2 BC in the consoles earlier to MAKE people happy. However, due to PS3 sales being way lower than expected, they HAD to do something. It was either keep it's VERY high pricetag of $600 (because right now, if PS3 had PS2 BC, the cheapest they COULD make a console for would be $500, and that would make it even more expensive). Since the public perception was more so set on the price being $400, that's why Sony had to remove whatever features they could to bring the price down to $400. If PS2 BC had to go to get to that point, it had to go. I don't want to hear Wi-Fi should have been removed because Wi-Fi was actually much cheaper to add. Keep in mind like I said, the original PS3 SKUs were losing $800-$840, and even with a few small revisions and such, they would have still cost around $600 to produce.

I know tons who really wanted to buy a PS3 (who owned a PS2), but would not bite because it was over $400. Once the 40GB SKU came out, I actually knew many who finally jumped on PS3 (they could careless about PS2 BC). If Sony instead opted to keep PS2 BC, but left the PS3 at $500, they probably would have been worse off because there aren't many of those people outside of those who heavily post at forums (which most likely outnumber those would only buy a PS3 with PS2 BC even if $500). The majority I know don't care about PS2 BC. They buy their PS3 to play PS3 games.

Also, that was not the only reason. If someone were to buy a PS3, to ONLY buy PS2 games, that actually hurt Sony quite a bit. Sony still makes a small profit off of every PS3 they sell (like $30). If someone were to buy a PS3 to only really buy PS2 stuff (like some will), Sony takes a pretty big hit because the majority of PS2 games out there now are used (which Sony sees no money back from), and with many very cheap discounted games, they don't bring much profit for them). Someone buying a first party PS3 game on the other hand brings in the profit. By dividing the consoles, where those who REALLY want to buy PS2 games buy a PS2 instead, Sony makes money off of them. Sony could careless if PS2 was selling well, because that's what makes them money right now. They are still producing PS2 consoles, so it's not like it's hard to find a PS2.

Like I told everyone before, those who constantly made fun of Sony early on and can't get a PS3 with PS2 BC only have themselves to blame. If they never did that and were actually more accepting to the PS3, it may have kept the PS2 BC because they would have been able to break even at that price. But the constant price complaining caused them to remove it, to bring the price down. If I were Sony, I would have done the same thing, and I still support their decision 100%.

Yes, although I have a PS3 with PS2 BC, I don't ever use it. It's the most overrated feature IMO.
[quote name='ninja dog']Then they lost the lead completely. Sony is dying. Kutaragi's ghost is having the last laugh. they will be bought out by MS pretty soon or go 3rd party. It's over. Sony is finished.[/QUOTE]Oh please, get a life.:roll:

TMK, you are officially out of your mind.

Where have you seen FACTS that state Sony makes $ on the PS3?

Last thing I saw showed that it costs Sony >$400 to make each PS3.

And no, it isn't hard to get a PS2. But the PS2 looks TERRIBLE on HDTVs.

What? It was more expensive (FOR THE CUSTOMER) back then. This isn't a "FAVOR", this is a product.

You don't have to sell me on the PS3; I have one. I love it. Believe me. But it's NOT perfect. There's no reason why it came WITH BC, then left it out. It's either one way or the other. I don't care how many quotes from early 2008/2007 you can pull up, it doesn't matter. You are not apart of the marketing team; you are a customer. I am a customer. This is what I want; it's what we all (MINUS YOU) want.

[quote name='manthing']TMK, you are officially out of your mind.

Where have you seen FACTS that state Sony makes $ on the PS3?[/quote]I never said Sony makes money on PS3. I said they make money on PS2. Get your eyes checked and read the thread more carefully.

Last thing I saw showed that it costs Sony >$400 to make each PS3.
Unless I made a typo, I said over and over again it does costs Sony more than $400 to make a PS3 still. It was the older SKUs I was talking about that costs MUCH more.

And no, it isn't hard to get a PS2. But the PS2 looks TERRIBLE on HDTVs.
PS2 games look TERRIBLE on a PS3 also. Yes there are upscaling options, but they either blur the image too much, or looks too jaggy. Some games actually look worse (like the first Yakuza comes to mind) where the picture actually looks distorted. The best results for a PS2 game is to play them on an SDTV. And the other issue is, one game you play might work one day, but it might another day. I remember for an example, after Firmware update 1.8, Wild Arms 4 no longer played on any PS3 SKU (I'm even talking about 20GB and 60GB SKUs, because that's what I have). Firmware 1.82 fixed it finally. Some issues have come up after an update. When playing PS2 games on a PS2, you don't have to worry about an update messing up the game and the games display how they were made to be. And for some newer games, which developers tested on PS2 (but not PS3) had some corrupted data save issues (I remember a few had that for Ar Tonelico. NIS couldn't do anything or know anything since they had no PS3 at their office at the time). Sony couldn't have really told NIS to fix the issue since they lacked PS3 consoles.

Mana, Sony is still losing $45/per each PS3 sold, far less than what they were originally losing, but still a loss. http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/4340.html

And you said this "If someone were to buy a PS3, to ONLY buy PS2 games, that actually hurt Sony quite a bit. Sony still makes a small profit off of every PS3 they sell (like $30)."

[quote name='mitch079']Mana, Sony is still losing $45/per each PS3 sold, far less than what they were originally losing, but still a loss. http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/4340.html[/QUOTE]I know that already. What I was trying to say what that when Sony included the PS2 BC (which DOES bump the PS3 price to around $500 and above), they'd have to sell the console for around $500, or take an even bigger loss. They felt it was better to bring the price down and remove the PS2 BC, so that's what they did.

Last gen, the fat PS2 actually used some PS1 components for BC in the PS2 (although it was 50% hardware, 50% software). Sony was able to continue to do this because their loses on PS2 weren't anywhere near as big, and PS2 was selling very well. They completely removed all PS1 components in the slim PS2 model (which was 100% emulation for PS1 games). Sony was actually planning on doing the EXACT same thing with PS3 (I want to find the article where I heard that, they mentioned how a PS3 console revision may see a 100% emulator). However, due to PS3 sales not being where they wanted to be and continuing to take a massive loss, they HAD to make a change. The change was reduce the PS3 costs greatly, even remove features, just to bring the price down. They knew some weren't going to be happy, but they had to do what it takes to soften their loses a bit along with bring its price to be a bit more competitive at the time (which it was).

I will say this over and over again, if Sony never removed the PS2 BC, PS3 still STILL be $500 right now. I can tell price means everything because outside the initial day of the 80GB MGS4 bundle, people wanted to save $100 and get the 40GB PS3 over the 80GB with MGS4.

I do understand how some like lilboo would love to play PS2 games, but it really came down to costs. BC is pretty much on its way out anyway because:
-DSi does not play GBA games.
-new PS3 SKUs don't play PS2 games.
-Xbox 360 hasn't had am Xbox BC update for like a year, maybe longer
-Although the Wii can play GC games, does Nintendo sell GC memory cards or GC controllers now so you can use the GC BC? Nope (especially in the U.S., you can't even find GC controllers new anymore).

I don't want to argue with lilboo since I

Regardless of whether or not Nintendo sells controllers or memory cards for the Cube is irrelevant - Gamecube games still work on the Wii.

Point is, Nintendoes what Sony don't.

Sony isn't in trouble, they're a multi billion dollar corporation. They have Sony Pictures, BMG, walkman, cyber-shot cameras, camcorders, DVD/BluRay players, receivers, HDTV's & SDTV's, Vaio laptops & pcs, broadcast and professional use audio/video/monitors and other professional-use equipment, optical pickups, batteries, audio/video/data recording media, and data recording systems. The PS3 is only one of the products that Sony makes. Only a fool would believe that one product could bring down an entire company.

That's only what I could think of off the top of my head but I'm sure there's a ton more.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Chacrana']Well, whatever.

I do think it's amusing to see two TMK flamebait threads in such a short span, though.[/QUOTE]

Flamebait is so stupid. I mean, I set the bait on fire when I'm fishing, but as soon as it hits the water the fire goes out.

This is happening to the PS3 because the ps3 is the worst system on the market.

Tired of sugarcoating it so the Sony defense force doesn't get upset.

The system is in 3rd. It's staying there. It's over. Go play uncharted again and leave the rest of us alone.

OR

Wall Street Journal is TEH BIAS.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I never said Sony makes money on PS3. I said they make money on PS2. Get your eyes checked and read the thread more carefully.
[/quote]

Am I the unemployed fellow who blogs about my need for eyeglasses?

:whistle2:s

Wait, that's you!

:applause:

[quote name='The Mana Knight'] Sony still makes a small profit off of every PS3 they sell (like $30). [/quote]

Here is where you said Sony profits on PS3s

:booty:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5306583&postcount=55

If I was Sony, I would be RAPING Microsoft for the 360 and all of it's deficiencies. I would show scratched discs, broken drives, red ring consoles, state how they're in class action lawsuits, talk that only POOR people have 360s, only low class LOWLIVES have the 360, that the 360 is for idiots. Hell I'd even say that the 360 makes your penis shrink and that it gives you THE GAYS. How many consoles give you the opporunity to completely rag on its total lack of hardware quality and not get a lawsuit simply because it's true and if they did, they'd be forced to show their failure numbers.

It's time to use the Sega Advertising of the early 90s where they just shot whatever they could at the nes/snes. And we need a fat mascot too. One with the awesomeness of sonic, the fat of mario and the overall offensiveness of Gabe Newell. KRAZY KEN. Your time is up. HAIL TO THE NEW HERO!

[quote name='manthing']Especially when YOU need to get your eyes checked and get glasses prescribed[/QUOTE]I was still able to pass the vision test at the BMV license branch when I took the driving test (although technically you don't need perfect vision there). ;)

After reading Apossum's aka Ninja Dog's comment, are people seriously just trying to get me all upset and crazy after I made my PS3 blog post (or maybe trying to hope I do something crazy to myself over all that bashing and stuff)?

But like I said before, it's best to just drop the arguing, so I'm just going to unsubscribe from this topic and act like it didn't exist. ;)

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I was still able to pass the vision test at the BMV license branch when I took the driving test (although technically you don't need perfect vision there). ;)
[/QUOTE]

Wait, what did the sign say when you read it?

No, it's just entertaining to see someone be so wrong so consistently.

10 years from now when apple is selling 5 million consoles a month while Sony published games on it, mana will be talking about it being a stopgap measure for the revival of Sony.

Everyone loves an insane person who refuses to be wrong.

Pachter does a better job getting paid for it than you or I do, you gotta admit.

[quote name='jer7583']No, it's just entertaining to see someone be so wrong so consistently.

10 years from now when apple is selling 5 million consoles a month while Sony published games on it, mana will be talking about it being a stopgap measure for the revival of Sony.

Everyone loves an insane person who refuses to be wrong.[/quote]

That explains Bush Jr to some degree.

It mostly has been.

Sony's failures this gen just made them more vulnerable then nintendo and microsoft.

They also have affordable systems with games people want. So that's pretty important.

aside from all that remember betamax didnt destroy sony then and the ps3 wont destroy it now. and since they won the format war ( as is evident by how many people go coocoo for blurays) theyre going to be in a sweet spot for a while ( until movies and gmes begin to go fully dl).i can see why people have the loyalty they do to their fav brands and why wiitards and xbox nuts alike want to bring up all the ills of the ps3. it is expensive and now the new ones dont have bc but as the demand for bluray movies grows alot of people will proably look to the system to get the most for their money and even when they dont they will buy bluray players.

there is no console war anymore. nintendo is winning in a halfassed way and sony and microsoft will continue foward doing what theyre doing. the gamers will game and the fad lovers will contine to play wii games.

also we have yet to see the best the ps3 has to offer. its still a system programmers are tryign to get the hang of much like with the ps2 some of the best games didnt come out till later in its lifespan. the system is doing some good things right now and it will be interesting to see what it can do when someone who can tap into its full potential does.

[quote name='jer7583']Pachter does a better job getting paid for it than you or I do, you gotta admit.[/QUOTE]

Pay me sufficient to put 60 a week into it, provide me access to the data, and I'll make Pachter look like the thumb-up-his-ass-for-59-hours-a-week dude that he is.

His analysis have been so frequent that there doesn't appear to be a single plausible outcome, short of all consoles being in first place simultaneously, that he hasn't yet claimed would be the case.

To tell the truth, pachter probably consults for many businesses and probably does it better than we know. You don't make money as a consultant by publishing all your info.

He probably throws out some scraps to the media from time to time to buoy his noteriety.

My point is that he has covered all possible scenarios with the info he *does* publish.

If I said "Fidel Castro will die in 2009" and also "Fidel Castro may not die in 2009," would you hire me as an analyst?

And, for the record, would you trust ANY financial analyst at the moment? *Especially* one who's been employed for the past several years?

The problems aren't so simple. Say EA comes to pachter asking what studios need layoffs. And which need funding.

He may well affect the way many publishers spend their money in these tight times?

Just trying to see his usefulness.

I think if PS3 was the same exact price as 360 it would be destroying it in sales. The systems are so similar that Blu Ray, free online, etc would put the PS3 over the edge. There is hardly any difference between the two consoles. It's not that the PS3 sucks. It's just that it costs too damn much.

[quote name='Paco']If I was Sony, I would be RAPING Microsoft for the 360 and all of it's deficiencies. I would show scratched discs, broken drives, red ring consoles, state how they're in class action lawsuits, talk that only POOR people have 360s, only low class LOWLIVES have the 360, that the 360 is for idiots. Hell I'd even say that the 360 makes your penis shrink and that it gives you THE GAYS. How many consoles give you the opporunity to completely rag on its total lack of hardware quality and not get a lawsuit simply because it's true and if they did, they'd be forced to show their failure numbers.

It's time to use the Sega Advertising of the early 90s where they just shot whatever they could at the nes/snes. And we need a fat mascot too. One with the awesomeness of sonic, the fat of mario and the overall offensiveness of Gabe Newell. KRAZY KEN. Your time is up. HAIL TO THE NEW HERO![/QUOTE]

Are you trying to take TMK's or Thomas's crown?

Your persona has his vadge showing, Zew.

Sony did bad this gen. Nintendo did good. Microsoft did okay. End of story.

[quote name='jer7583']Your persona has his vadge showing, Zew.

Sony did bad this gen. Nintendo did good. Microsoft did okay. End of story.[/quote]

Profit wise yeah. At the end of the day that's all that matters. Nintendo IMO has done God awful. I'll get flamed for saying it but whatever.

Yeah, I wish it wasn't about the money.

As much as I don't like the way Sony is handling the PS3, I've bought four of 'em, but I'll never buy a Wii.

I'm happy with the direction Nintendo took. They are doing well, I play the Wii less than 360, but more than I did my PS3 when I had it.

This thread needs more

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb9kZEgWT3E[/MEDIA]

Well okay it comes down to the money because that's the only real hard data you have.

Everything else is just opinion and conjecture. I do think that more "core" gamers have bought a Wii this generation than a PS3, though. You can draw a pretty good comparison to the Wii's casual market with the PS3's blu-ray player market. Both probably buy the same amount of games, it's just the casual market is making Nintendo money, while the Blu-Ray market is just keeping PS3 barely afloat.

People buy both systems for non-traditional reasons.

In my honest opinion Sony is jacking each exec off. The people who handle their commercials don't know shit and for that should be slapped with dildos. I haven't even seen one fucking game commercial that resembled a game commercial. Resistance 2 could have been big but the commercial left me confused. I will admit that the Gears of War commercial was memorable simply because of that song and showcasing the graphics. Resistance 2 on the other hand was not. I would be showing how you're swamped with tons of shit trying to kill you and tout the multiplayer.

LittlebigPlanet was the closest thing to a game commercial and even that one licked ass.

The One with the shirts has no value to anyone except people who already have a PS3. Show the games. Hell Pain is one of those games that's so stupid that you could easily make a commercial of that. Show them hurting THE HOFF and having him punched in the nuts or something stupid. The game sells itself as it's infinitely more fun to watch then to actually play it.

Show FAT PRINCESS. Raise some awareness and stop doing this shit that nobody does.

And I'm sorry Zewone I already have another crown. I'm the dancing frosty on Home that hangs on the first bowling alley doing the Salsa and Cabbage Patch bringing smiles to all.

Frankly I want Nintendo to cut the shit and give us "Sadness". I don't own a Wii yet and would buy Sadness day one. PERIOD! No what if's here. We need a game like that to fucking challenge video game developers right now since Sega's gone for all intents and purposes.
As for Sony I agree with Paco for the most part. Blitz the air with ad's on MS and the rrod, scratched discs and all. If Sony had some actual nerve they'd do it but lately they've been fucking up all over the place. They had the next MARIO in Sackboy. Yes you heard me fucking say it. Sackboy is Mario! Sony didn't do a fucking thing to really capitalize on him, blitzing the airwaves with info about LBP and putting him front and center.
If you ask why I'm being so hard on Sony it's because I don't have a fucking choice. Between the 360 and the PS3 it's the only one not going all red ring of death all the time comparatively. Also the Blu-ray included allows for a more truly next gen. experience, the space affording games PCM which is Lossless sound. Also better textures can be gained, see 1080p or 720p native which most 360 games just don't have the space for. Instead it's upconverted. Let us also not forget Sony charging for what should be free, P2P online. I'm sorry but paying $50 a year for glorified matchmaking and P2P MP is ridiculous. I'd rather go retro and have MS make it like Netplay. Yup. Take that whole framework down and I'll connect directly with my friend without your matchmaking. I'd rather just take the time to add person by person to my friends list. It also prevents me getting into a match with the many, though not all, racist douchebags that frequent XBL and aren't banned asap.
edit: Oh and Sony seems to be fucking up again with Home. Apparently "Gay", "Bixsexual" and "Lesbian" are censored words for one. I can understand gay and it being used in a negative context but not the latter two. Also it seems groups of these individuals are being prevented from creating these types of groups on Home. In fact one person was prevented from setting up a GSA on Home. That's Gay Straight Alliance for those who don't know. I got this info from Sirius OutQ News by the way.

bread's done
Back