South Carolina Roll Call!

There is a Gamecrazy in Greenville?? Where?? The only place I know of for Retro stuff is the Game Cavern since Rhino closed down. The Game Cavern is cool but their methods are a little archaic and most of the good stuff is kept in the back so you have to ask for it. For example, I had to wait 15 minutes just for a copy of Sunset Riders on the SNES!

The Greenville Rhino definately got cleaned out, however I was able to pick up about 40 games at the Lexington, SC store. Not crap ones either, we are talking:

Excitebike
Eternal Champions
Super Turrican (SNES)
Bio Hazard Battle
Strider (on NES and Sega)
and many more...

Sorry just had to brag a little. Anyway, I do think it is a little unfair that people (especially employees) get to horde things, but when you consider that their job really kinda sucks it is one of the few perks they get. I work at Best Buy and I will gladly admit to getting some games for myself. Before you yell, if you could pass up Suikoden IV for $1.99 then you are fricking crazy.

Regardless, if you haven't checked out the Game Cavern it's at least worth a look see, I was able to pick up Super Metroid, Contra III, Castlevania IV, and a ton of other fun Super Nintendo stuff last time I was there. Generally their prices are lower than what you would find on Amazon or at pre-merger Rhino stores. A lot of people trade there so they get a lot of good stuff in.

Well anyway, holler!

[quote name='thefunkyredcaboose']There is a Gamecrazy in Greenville?? Where?? The only place I know of for Retro stuff is the Game Cavern since Rhino closed down. The Game Cavern is cool but their methods are a little archaic and most of the good stuff is kept in the back so you have to ask for it. For example, I had to wait 15 minutes just for a copy of Sunset Riders on the SNES!

The Greenville Rhino definately got cleaned out, however I was able to pick up about 40 games at the Lexington, SC store. Not crap ones either, we are talking:

Excitebike
Eternal Champions
Super Turrican (SNES)
Bio Hazard Battle
Strider (on NES and Sega)
and many more...

Sorry just had to brag a little. Anyway, I do think it is a little unfair that people (especially employees) get to horde things, but when you consider that their job really kinda sucks it is one of the few perks they get. I work at Best Buy and I will gladly admit to getting some games for myself. Before you yell, if you could pass up Suikoden IV for $1.99 then you are fricking crazy.

Regardless, if you haven't checked out the Game Cavern it's at least worth a look see, I was able to pick up Super Metroid, Contra III, Castlevania IV, and a ton of other fun Super Nintendo stuff last time I was there. Generally their prices are lower than what you would find on Amazon or at pre-merger Rhino stores. A lot of people trade there so they get a lot of good stuff in.

Well anyway, holler![/quote]

Yeah, there's a gamecrazy in alot of those small shopping districts. The closest one i've seen is right across the street from where i live, which is in Pelham Road. As a matter of fact, i think there are two of them. One near China Wok, and the other in a Publix next to Hollywood Video. Also, where is Game Cavern located? I'm interested in checking it out. Also, do they have games in Mint condition by any chance?

[quote name='The_Tick'] Also, where is Game Cavern located? I'm interested in checking it out. Also, do they have games in Mint condition by any chance?[/QUOTE]

If they're talking about Video Game Cavern, it's on Wade Hampton Blvd (Hwy 29) in Taylors, SC in a little shopping center across the Street from the Taylors Wal-Mart and Bi-Lo. Not sure of the condition of their stuff (haven't bought a lot there), but they usually have some harder to find stuff, and they also usually have slightly better prices on used games than the chain stores.

[quote name='Liontamer']If they're talking about Video Game Cavern, it's on Wade Hampton Blvd (Hwy 29) in Taylors, SC in a little shopping center across the Street from the Taylors Wal-Mart and Bi-Lo. Not sure of the condition of their stuff (haven't bought a lot there), but they usually have some harder to find stuff, and they also usually have slightly better prices on used games than the chain stores.[/quote]

Thanks alot. I'll be sure to check that place out next time i go there, seeing as i've been to that area a bunch of times, but never quite noticed it before.

[quote name='Liontamer']If they're talking about Video Game Cavern, it's on Wade Hampton Blvd (Hwy 29) in Taylors, SC in a little shopping center across the Street from the Taylors Wal-Mart and Bi-Lo. Not sure of the condition of their stuff (haven't bought a lot there), but they usually have some harder to find stuff, and they also usually have slightly better prices on used games than the chain stores.[/quote]

My only complaint is that, since they’re an indie retailer, they may or may not have your preferred new release the week of launch. On the plus side, they give excellent trade-in credit.

I like SC just fine. Since I was born in Easley, live in Spartanburg, and work in Greenville; it’s all I’ve ever known, so I reckon I have nothing to compare it to. ;)

[quote name='thefunkyredcaboose']There is a Gamecrazy in Greenville?? Where??[/quote]

I know you posted that over a month ago, ( :) ) but anyway, the only one I know is the one right near Haywood Mall, in the little small shopping plaza where a Bruster's is and Moretti's Pizza (spelling). I think a Gator something Bar and Grill is there too

I was born in Greenville but am in Liberty right now :p. I've never heard of Video Game Cavern, thanks for the info I'll have to drive down and check it out.

just joined what up, im from greenville, Been looking for mass effect at every Kmart in the upstate with no luck. but anyway GO TIGERS BITCHES!

Seneca, SC here - just down the road from Clemson, although I shop around everywhere from Ga on up to the Greenville area.

I just called the Video Game Cavern to see how much they would give me for my original DS (looking to finally upgrade), and would you like to guess how much they would give me for the system, stylus, and charger? Would ya?

They give $20 in store credit, and $10 in cash! That's even worse that GameStop I think, but don't quote me on that one. They're good people though most of the time. If any of you ever go in Anderson, they also have a "store" at the Anderson Jockey Lot that's open on Saturday and Sunday, early all the way until people usually start to leave the JL.

Sometime this year a new indie game store opened up in Powdersville, Darkside Games. I've never been, I don't know anything about it, but here's a MySpace page for it:

http://www.myspace.com/darksidegames

[quote name='Downhome']Seneca, SC here - just down the road from Clemson, although I shop around everywhere from Ga on up to the Greenville area.

I just called the Video Game Cavern to see how much they would give me for my original DS (looking to finally upgrade), and would you like to guess how much they would give me for the system, stylus, and charger? Would ya?

They give $20 in store credit, and $10 in cash! That's even worse that GameStop I think, but don't quote me on that one. They're good people though most of the time. If any of you ever go in Anderson, they also have a "store" at the Anderson Jockey Lot that's open on Saturday and Sunday, early all the way until people usually start to leave the JL.

Sometime this year a new indie game store opened up in Powdersville, Darkside Games. I've never been, I don't know anything about it, but here's a MySpace page for it:

http://www.myspace.com/darksidegames[/quote]

I've bought a lot of things from the Video Game Cavern booth at the Anderson jockey lot. A lot of boxed NES games and PS2/Gamecube stuff. I've never been to thier actual store though. Think I'll
try to check out the store in Powdersville, sounds interesting.

[quote name='Foxhoundx']I've bought a lot of things from the Video Game Cavern booth at the Anderson jockey lot. A lot of boxed NES games and PS2/Gamecube stuff. I've never been to thier actual store though. Think I'll
try to check out the store in Powdersville, sounds interesting.[/QUOTE]

I think I've been to the Video Game Cavern once or twice, but it's possible I'm thinking of a store that has since closed down. But yeah, I've dealt with them a lot at the Jockey Lot.

If you check out that store in Powersville let me know what you think, drop me a line on here or AIM or something.

Do any of you remember that store that used to be in Greenville on Woodruff Rd.? Going from the Hollywood 20 towards the area where Best Buy and everything is now, the store was down the road on the right, in a little shopping center. It was very easy to miss unless you knew it was there. They had all kinds of games, and especially dealt with imports. It's been a while ago though. That's where I bought a few of my Dreamcast imports back in the day. It was a pretty interesting store to check out.

Is it still around by any Chance? Anyway, one day i'm thinking about opening up my own game store. It'll still take me quite a few years to ammount a sizable collection, and get some inventory. But a guy can dream.

Lexington here. Near the White Knoll High area. This area is starting to boom, bigtime. Walmart and Gamestop have popped up in the last few months and it doesn't look to be slowing down soon (Lowe's is in construction).

As for if I like it... It's alright, I guess. But, after you've lived in Florida, California, and Hawaii, it seems dull in comparison (my dad was in the Navy).

So hey there guys wondering how many CAGs are in still the Columbia area, seem to missing out on some sweet clearances lately and wondering who is to blame for that :cry:

[quote name='Gumby the Green']So hey there guys wondering how many CAGs are in still the Columbia area, seem to missing out on some sweet clearances lately and wondering who is to blame for that :cry:[/quote]

Lexington Area, alot of the Target in lexington deals seem to get gone before they drop to good prices :whistle2:( ... Took me awhile to get Timeshift cheap since the timeshifts there got gone before they got below 20$....So it wasn't me getting all the deals. Just seems locals buy up clearance lately without worry of how much more clerance it could be.

[quote name='Downhome']Seneca, SC here - just down the road from Clemson, although I shop around everywhere from Ga on up to the Greenville area.

http://www.myspace.com/darksidegames[/quote]

Yea, im desperate for a good game store in SC. Im about to move in with my parents in Greenwood, so im up for any place that sells games other than the one Gamestop there.

Those game stores sounds alot better than a store i found on Craigslist called "Dawg Gone Fun Games" which is north of Greenville. I though "Your kidding me, this is all this state has?"

The play n trades seem too far a drive for me, so im up for anything close near Greenwood/Abbiville/Ninty Six.

So yea, thats all i got to say...

[quote name='ZeonikFreak']Yea, im desperate for a good game store in SC. Im about to move in with my parents in Greenwood, so im up for any place that sells games other than the one Gamestop there.

Those game stores sounds alot better than a store i found on Craigslist called "Dawg Gone Fun Games" which is north of Greenville. I though "Your kidding me, this is all this state has?"

The play n trades seem too far a drive for me, so im up for anything close near Greenwood/Abbiville/Ninty Six.

So yea, thats all i got to say...[/quote]

Hate to break it to you but I have lived in Greenwood since I was born and all we have here is Gamestop, Blockbuster/GameRush, Wal-Mart, and K-Mart (Which has a pretty good selction of the stuff that is usually listed in the clearance thread.) Other than that there is practically nothing.

Pretty cool little town if you don't come from a big metropolis. It gets a lot more fun when college starts back in Sept. and you get a lot more younger people back in town. :D

[quote name='ExileL']Hate to break it to you but I have lived in Greenwood since I was born and all we have here is Gamestop, Blockbuster/GameRush, Wal-Mart, and K-Mart (Which has a pretty good selction of the stuff that is usually listed in the clearance thread.) Other than that there is practically nothing.

Pretty cool little town if you don't come from a big metropolis. It gets a lot more fun when college starts back in Sept. and you get a lot more younger people back in town. :D[/quote]

What part of greenwood do you live near? im going to be living at Regency Park where my parents are staying, which is the apartment complex next to Super WalMart.

Hopefully, that Hollywood Video will go outta business, they got some sweet stuff there i would definetly buy...

[quote name='ZeonikFreak']What part of greenwood do you live near? im going to be living at Regency Park where my parents are staying, which is the apartment complex next to Super WalMart.

Hopefully, that Hollywood Video will go outta business, they got some sweet stuff there i would definetly buy...[/quote]

Yeah, you will be in the thick of "New" Greenwood which is really good. Most all your major stores and restaurants are right beside or near that Wal-Mart. That Hollywood video is a pretty nice place to rent a game but I really have no clue about their selection due to the fact that I usually have some credit from flipping from GS to Blockbuster so I just rent from there. :D

As for me I live by Emerald High School for now but I am probably about to move closer to Lander University as my lease is up on my apartment.

[quote name='ExileL']Yeah, you will be in the thick of "New" Greenwood which is really good. Most all your major stores and restaurants are right beside or near that Wal-Mart. That Hollywood video is a pretty nice place to rent a game but I really have no clue about their selection due to the fact that I usually have some credit from flipping from GS to Blockbuster so I just rent from there. :D

As for me I live by Emerald High School for now but I am probably about to move closer to Lander University as my lease is up on my apartment.[/quote]

I do gotta know about Pawn Shops in the area too. The only one ive been too was the Gun and Pawn shop near Lander and i found a complete green label of Chrono Cross for like 2 bucks with Bushido Blade. The guy there has a bunch of Xbox and PS2 games i need to look at next time im there.

Yea, i know the area on that highway pretty well. Big Lots has some stuff from time to time, like i bought the City of Villians DVD collection there, and the KMart is there for deals if they still carry the games (which im sure they do), and Wal Mart as well.

Ah, ill find some...

This is Daddy Dawg, Owner of Dawg Gone Fun Video Games in downtown Travelers Rest SC. I realize that i am the little dog in SC but, you cant find a nicer, more fair trades, or better customer service than us. We pride ourselves in people leaving happy. IF the travel to Travelers Rest SC the problem holding you back then email us and see what we can get the game to you for. Also check us out on ebay. If you have trades, we are there for you also with higher trade values. How can we do this you ask, we have little overhead. We currently are open in the evening only until 10 pm, all day saturday, and sunday. email address is [email protected] ebay name is dawg-gonefunvideogames come check us out.

[quote name='brobi38791']This is Daddy Dawg, Owner of Dawg Gone Fun Video Games in downtown Travelers Rest SC. I realize that i am the little dog in SC but, you cant find a nicer, more fair trades, or better customer service than us. We pride ourselves in people leaving happy. IF the travel to Travelers Rest SC the problem holding you back then email us and see what we can get the game to you for. Also check us out on ebay. If you have trades, we are there for you also with higher trade values. How can we do this you ask, we have little overhead. We currently are open in the evening only until 10 pm, all day saturday, and sunday. email address is [email protected] ebay name is dawg-gonefunvideogames come check us out.[/QUOTE]

Look man, I drove way out of my way to visit your store once, after reading all of the craigslist ads about how you have all these "great deals". I was pretty pissed when I got there and the only decently priced stuff you had were a few systems that were about 10 bucks less than ebay.

But the games, everything you had was priced at LEAST 5.00 OVER the highest ebay price. I can't inform people over craigslist but I can at least inform people here on Cheap Ass Gamer.

If you want to stay in business, price stuff competitively, NOT over ebay value. Because I sure a hell aren't going to pay 10.00 for Ducktales on the NES or 30.00 for Metal Gear Solid for the PS1, and neither are other CAGs.

[quote name='Cmosfm']Look man, I drove way out of my way to visit your store once, after reading all of the craigslist ads about how you have all these "great deals". I was pretty pissed when I got there and the only decently priced stuff you had were a few systems that were about 10 bucks less than ebay.

But the games, everything you had was priced at LEAST 5.00 OVER the highest ebay price. I can't inform people over craigslist but I can at least inform people here on Cheap Ass Gamer.

If you want to stay in business, price stuff competitively, NOT over ebay value. Because I sure a hell aren't going to pay 10.00 for Ducktales on the NES or 30.00 for Metal Gear Solid for the PS1, and neither are other CAGs.[/quote]

Dude, the name of the store said it enough for me.

If im going outta my way for a game store from greenwood, id go to Play n Trade in Aiken. Of course, i probably call first before going there, if there is anything they might have...

It is ok that you feel that way. We all have opinions, however, please get yours correct if you are making one about Dawg_Gone. For you see, you must have failed yourself by not asking for the Dawg-Gone discount. Here at Dawg-Gone we have a 10% discount on every game, everyday! No membership needed. Also, with all systems, you get a free game of your choice. There are also flyers in the shop to inform all about these things for example. As for craiglist, my number is on there. Did you call first?

[quote name='upstateschere']It is ok that you feel that way. We all have opinions, however, please get yours correct if you are making one about Dawg_Gone. For you see, you must have failed yourself by not asking for the Dawg-Gone discount. Here at Dawg-Gone we have a 10% discount on every game, everyday! No membership needed. Also, with all systems, you get a free game of your choice. There are also flyers in the shop to inform all about these things for example. As for craiglist, my number is on there. Did you call first?[/QUOTE]

I bought a system, I wasn't offered a free game. If all systems come with a free game, and I bought one, and wasn't offered one...don't you think that's kind of a deceptive sales tactic? Besides, let's bring up a hypothetical situation, say I bought one of your 30.00 SNES systems and I wanted a game that was priced in your store at OVER 30.00, what would happen? Would I get that game? I seriously doubt it, so I think your advertisements are lacking in information.

Also, I wasn't offered a 10% discount, I shouldn't have to just "know" about this. If you get this discount everyday than it's YOUR job to inform the customers while they are in the store and not just blindly expect us to just KNOW something. And 10% off a game that's priced at over ebay prices, AFTER shipping, doesn't do me a bit of good.

I didn't see any flyers, besides, I'm in a game store looking for games...I sure as hell aren't paying attention to flyers.

And why should I call? "Hi, are you games reasonably priced? Less than ebay?" What would you say? "oh, no, no they aren't". I don't think so.

I think my opinions about "Dawg-Gone" are correct, and besides that, it's an opinion...MY opinion...so you telling me to get my "opinion correct" is almost an insult. Maybe you meant that I should get my FACTS correct. Either way, I think both are correct at this point.

Oh, and I'm not one for attacking petty things, but your store name is ridiculous. As you see someone in this thread didn't even bother going to your store just because of the name alone. It sounds like a kids store, it doesn't even sound remotely like anything a self-respecting adult would want to shop in. Also calling yourself Daddy Dawg makes you sound like a pedophile.

And ONE more thing, the one time I was in there, I was the only customer there and I STILL had to squeeze my way through your entire family that seemed to be digging through games on the sales floor. Not even organizing or putting games out for sale, just looking at games. I honestly got so fed up with it that I just stopped trying to look at one shelf because your family and kids weren't considerate enough to move and you, who were staring right at them, weren't consider enough to TELL them to move!

I can easily tell this is the first time you've ever been in this business, and you have a lot of changes to make if you want to stay open past the holiday season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway...
So who is the other CAG'er that often visits the Blockbuster near Bi-Lo at Five Forks? I know you're there, I see all the high TIV games sitting on the shelf (Octomania, for example)

:D
I honestly don't care, I'm just very curious who you are

[quote name='Cmosfm']

Also, I wasn't offered a 10% discount, I shouldn't have to just "know" about this. If you get this discount everyday than it's YOUR job to inform the customers while they are in the store and not just blindly expect us to just KNOW something. And 10% off a game that's priced at over ebay prices, AFTER shipping, doesn't do me a bit of good.

Oh, and I'm not one for attacking petty things, but your store name is ridiculous. As you see someone in this thread didn't even bother going to your store just because of the name alone. It sounds like a kids store, it doesn't even sound remotely like anything a self-respecting adult would want to shop in. Also calling yourself Daddy Dawg makes you sound like a pedophile.

[/quote]

I would visit this place if i ever happen to be on that side of the world for whatever reason. As for "willingly" wanting to go there, not anytime soon unless there something i would drive there for.

And you got a point. If you want customers to know about the "deals" of your store, then tell them when they are up at the counter with their games. Also, this guy and the guy at the Raleigh Flea Market in North Carolina seem to have a lot in common, since they both sell games at ebay prices. If your going to do that, the close your store down, and just sell on ebay, or call it "Dawg Gone we sell games at Ebay prices".

Then again, this sounds alot like a game store that was shut down in raleigh for a ton of complaints: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/06/news_6123802.html Ive only been there like twice.

The funny thing is, like 20 precent of the games that are at Play n Trade stores near raleigh, all have the Buy Rite sticker on them.

Well, i hope hollywood video in greenwood goes out of business, they have a ton of games that i really want...

I live in Easley and work in Greenville so most if not all my video gaming buying is done in the Easley Gamestop or Bestbuy on Woodruff (work kinda near there)

[quote name='utopianmachine']Greenville here. I can also vouch for Video Games Cavern. Great retro section. Too bad Rhino Games across the street is going to GameStop. I'll visit today. Probably my last visit until they vanish into the corporate vacuum.[/quote]

I was in Rhino Games ONCE and vowed never to go back there. They were rude and kinda stupid when it came to simple game questions.

My brother got a card from a regional person from Play n Trade in this state, and from what he told me, they might possibly are going to try to open a Play n Trade in this area.

I just hope they move right next door to gamestop, where the old ATnT store was, or next to Marble Slab on Hwy 72, which is right near my apt complex!!!!

That would be great...

Did anyone hear about the Gamestop in the Verdae shopping center on Laurens Rd in Greenville got robbed a couple of weeks ago?

I was in there a few days ago and they were talking about it. Some guy came in with a gun and got a 360, around $800, and a used game.

I've always thought that location would get robbed someday. It's in such a hidden away place. Not very visible from the road.

[quote name='electronicthroat']Did anyone hear about the Gamestop in the Verdae shopping center on Laurens Rd in Greenville got robbed a couple of weeks ago?

I was in there a few days ago and they were talking about it. Some guy came in with a gun and got a 360, around $800, and a used game.

I've always thought that location would get robbed someday. It's in such a hidden away place. Not very visible from the road.[/quote]
Didn't hear bout that

So who cleaned the Movie Gallery out of good used games on Old Spartanburg Rd? I don't care at all just am very curious what you managed to snag

bread's done
Back