South Carolina Roll Call!

Hollywood Video has games on clearance for 3.99 in Greenwood. I was able to pick up Silent Hill 2 a couple of weeks back.

The lady that worked there said something that they may sell all the gamecube stuff when it comes time or something like that if they decide to liquidate their racks.

They might as well just close the store. Theres games and anime/movies there that i want...

Sorry to thread-jack, but I'm looking for a little help from anyone familiar with the Myrtle Beach area. I'm from Minneapolis, and will be down there for the weekend. Any recommendations for a single, 25-year-old guy? Thanks in advance.

From their website:

"We’re located in the Hampton Corner Shopping Center on Wade Hampton Boulevard (Hwy 29 N) towards Taylors. We’re directly across the street from Brunswick Bowling and next door to Eagle Printing. Other landmarks close by are the Texas Roadhouse and the Taylors Walmart."

[quote name='PopcornBandit']Anyone been to The Video Game Cavern in Taylors? They have some pretty good deals on older games and systems.[/QUOTE]

They were decent when they first opened, and I would spend at LEAST 50-100 every time I went in there. As of the last couple of years, anything remotely "rare" goes in a glass case and gets marked up well over what it's really worth. If you want some obscure older games for around ebay prices, sometimes a little less then it's worth checking out. Rarely you can find a really good deal or two if they aren't aware of what they have, which is few and far between these days.

Also I'm not very happy with their staff, seems to be run by a handful of kids who act like their shit doesn't stink because they work in an indie game store.

I know, I may complain a lot, but it's REALLY hard to find a great game store anymore. Seems as if everyone thinks their store is ebay-lite or something, most of them sell off the really good stuff on ebay. Once at the Video Game Cavern I asked the price of an item that wasn't marked (a TI-99 Multi Game Tap). He took it in the back to the owner to find out, he came out with an odd price of 12 bucks or something. I found it odd that they came up with such an odd price, so I asked him bluntly how they came up with that price, and he told me he wasn't allowed to say. I said "ebay, right?". He smirked and turned away.

[quote name='Cmosfm']They were decent when they first opened, and I would spend at LEAST 50-100 every time I went in there. As of the last couple of years, anything remotely "rare" goes in a glass case and gets marked up well over what it's really worth. If you want some obscure older games for around ebay prices, sometimes a little less then it's worth checking out. Rarely you can find a really good deal or two if they aren't aware of what they have, which is few and far between these days.

Also I'm not very happy with their staff, seems to be run by a handful of kids who act like their shit doesn't stink because they work in an indie game store.

I know, I may complain a lot, but it's REALLY hard to find a great game store anymore. Seems as if everyone thinks their store is ebay-lite or something, most of them sell off the really good stuff on ebay. Once at the Video Game Cavern I asked the price of an item that wasn't marked (a TI-99 Multi Game Tap). He took it in the back to the owner to find out, he came out with an odd price of 12 bucks or something. I found it odd that they came up with such an odd price, so I asked him bluntly how they came up with that price, and he told me he wasn't allowed to say. I said "ebay, right?". He smirked and turned away.[/quote]

Ouch, but i guess im not surprised.

Sounds like the Play n Trade i went to last weekend to Evans GA, they pretty much have the "rare" games behind the case, and of course, jacked up anything thats an "import game". I only really bought Phantasy Star for Sega Master System for 20 bucks because i wouldnt mind having it in my collection. They had Shining force for 40 with get this, a game and a case, its not even complete and they charge that much. I paid 20 for just the game over a year ago. They also had Time Gal for 20, which i retardedly picked up, which i cant get that much on ebay for just "disk only". Yea, the game isnt that great, and the only FMV game i really wanna try is Road Avenger for Sega CD.

But you go to Aiken SC, and i found Monster Rancher 2 and 3 for 5 bucks each, and Medievil 2 for 5 bucks for just disk only, and just sold it on ebay for 15. And i did pick up Silent Hill also for 25 behind the case there, so im trying to sell that right now in ebay.

So now it seems that Play n Trade stores are more "reliying" on ebay prices now... which is a scary thought...

[quote name='ZeonikFreak']Ouch, but i guess im not surprised.

Sounds like the Play n Trade i went to last weekend to Evans GA, they pretty much have the "rare" games behind the case, and of course, jacked up anything thats an "import game". I only really bought Phantasy Star for Sega Master System for 20 bucks because i wouldnt mind having it in my collection. They had Shining force for 40 with get this, a game and a case, its not even complete and they charge that much. I paid 20 for just the game over a year ago. They also had Time Gal for 20, which i retardedly picked up, which i cant get that much on ebay for just "disk only". Yea, the game isnt that great, and the only FMV game i really wanna try is Road Avenger for Sega CD.

But you go to Aiken SC, and i found Monster Rancher 2 and 3 for 5 bucks each, and Medievil 2 for 5 bucks for just disk only, and just sold it on ebay for 15. And i did pick up Silent Hill also for 25 behind the case there, so im trying to sell that right now in ebay.

So now it seems that Play n Trade stores are more "reliying" on ebay prices now... which is a scary thought...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was in there today actually, since I was near the area. I surprisingly got very lucky and caught something that slipped by them. Spider-Man Web Of Fire for the 32X, Complete and mint, 4.85!

That's the first thing I've gotten from them in a while. The prices are still ridiculous and it seems as if they have lots of backstock but not much new. It's been a while since they've gotten anything new in actually!

Kinda funny how you want to bag on a store but continue to shop there. I have been a customer of the Cavern for well over 4 or 5 years. Yes some prices have went up but so has the collectability of older video games has also increased. You say that it is cheaper to get items from Ebay but I disagree. The prices at the Cavern are lower than ebay, your buying from a local store, and have a warranty on your items. You cite the "all the good things are in a glass case". Well do you have an issue with a family owned store making a profit on merchandise that they spent money buying, testing and standing behind.
I buy all my new games here as they are 5 dollars cheaper than anywhere else. They do preorders and will special order games for people. I have had them order many hard to get games for myself and they are very diligent in their efforts to help a customer get what they want. And the glass case(just to bring it up again) I have been in the store many times and have seen people go to that case and without batting an eyelash say I want that game.
Sounds to me like your just ticked because as their business has grown your place of getting cheap games to make a profit from has gone away, and instead a place for getting quality merchandise and standing behind their products has taken it's place and you don't like it.

First off, hi. I'm not really new, I just usually troll about the boards to check out various deals; but after I flipped through these past few posts, I have to vent somewhat, especially since it's about a store I like to visit often because of the treasure goodies they have, as well as an old friend of mine working there. (and I do realize that this could be considered troll flaming but I don't really care since I only read here.)

[quote name='Cmosfm']As of the last couple of years, anything remotely "rare" goes in a glass case and gets marked up well over what it's really worth.[/quote]

I have two things to say about this, first off you must not have a basic concept of collectibles. Usually with most things (not always true with some goodies) as it ages, it increases in value, so obviously prices are going to go up.. (also take into account economic fluctuations.)

[quote name='Cmosfm']Rarely you can find a really good deal or two if they aren't aware of what they have, which is few and far between these days.[/quote]

This explains alot about you. Based off that, you're most likely a collector who looks for things to resell and turn profit. That's all well and good that you do that, but don't take it out on them for trying to make a living. It could be much worse, they could jack up games that have a market value of $5 to say $30 like I've seen some private dealers do.

[quote name='Cmosfm']Also I'm not very happy with their staff, seems to be run by a handful of kids who act like their shit doesn't stink because they work in an indie game store.[/quote]

This here is what pissed me off. First off, it's not nice to talk about someone behind their back. Secondly, it's not nice to talk negatively against someone you do not even know. This in itself shows your own immaturity, especially if you don't try to do anything about it. Now the only reason I'm venting specifically here is I personally know one of the people that work there, and he's a sweetie at heart. He can be cranky at times, but he does try to help people to the best of his extent regardless of how bad they annoy him or are just outright rude. So if you're gonna talk smack, at least make sure it's justified, and don't be a douchbag mcasshat about it.

[quote name='Cmosfm']Once at the Video Game Cavern I asked the price of an item that wasn't marked (a TI-99 Multi Game Tap). He took it in the back to the owner to find out, he came out with an odd price of 12 bucks or something. I found it odd that they came up with such an odd price, so I asked him bluntly how they came up with that price, and he told me he wasn't allowed to say. I said "ebay, right?". He smirked and turned away.[/quote]

I can kind of see where you're coming from here.. I do know on occasions they've been bad about this before.. but no one is perfect. I did address it to the manager when I stopped in to see him after reading this and the manager assured me that when they handle obscure trades, they usually check several sources for market value to get a reasonable selling price, then lower it and figure up a trade value (makes sense, no?). So if you're taking something up there and expecting to get the full value for what it's worth, then I have to say you mr/miss/whatever are retarded.

[quote name='ShreeAspenwood']Kinda funny how you want to bag on a store but continue to shop there.[/quote]

Enough said here. If you don't like it then don't go. You can do your shopping at thrift stores and flea markets. If you do go that route, more power to you, if not.. then don't shit-talk the store and people there, it's just simply not cool. Well I've said my peace I'm actually gonna go hang out with the dude I was talking about that worked there.

-

Looks like I hit a nerve. :)

Regardless, I buy and resell for a living, if I didn't shop there it would just be one less source of income for me despite how much I dislike the way they handle their business. I try not to let personal vendettas come in between me and profit. So, that's why I shop there, because it's yet another source for me to make a living on.

Now, as for everything else:

I understand the concept of the "glass case", I do not understand the concept of charging 20.00 for Ninja Gaiden 2 though, sorry.

The employees, there was one guy in there today that I have never seen before, and he was absolutely awesome and I have nothing bad to say about him. But there is one large bearded guy that seems to be always there, and I've seen him be a complete douche to customers, talk shit behind peoples back (much like you are berating me for) and he's been rude to me on multiple occasions as well. This is the employee I am talking about, particularly. The other guy that I had in mind doesn't seem to work there anymore.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with family owned businesses making money, but have you seen their inventory!? They have TONS of games (classic games, that is), they aren't moving, they haven't for years. They just sit there. Why? The prices.

Want to know what happened? Rhino Games closed. They used to be right across the street from them, so they had competition, and had to "keep up with the Joneses". Now they have no direct competition, so Super Mario World is 15.00 or so, and Super Mario Bros. 3 goes in the "rare" case. And their inventory sits there, and even from a non-profiteering standpoint, the games may be a tad bit less than ebay after shipping but that still doesn't make it a good price. I'd personally want to move some inventory if I were them.

Could it be that they have a large inventory because they actually take in the classic games on trade unlike most places. And since you hardly go in there how do you know how much of their inventory moves. I have been in the store and seen people bring in 100+ games, multiple systems and accessories for trade or sale. I have also seen people leave with 20+ games at one time, so I guess their inventory is moving just might not look like it to you since you rarely go in there.
And you complain about therer pricing, last year I traded over 130 ps2 and ps1 games. I was able to get a new 360, 15 games, several of the rare you cited as being to much and well over 300 dollars in cash. So yeah I would like to see you do that elsewhere. As to Rhino games keeping the Cavern's prices in check, I don't know if you realize Rhino prices on the classics was just like Gamestops and always higher than the caverns until they clearenced it all out.
As a matter of fact rare ps1 games were still more at Rhino in its hayday then most are at the Cavern now. It is in your right to not like someplace, but to bash it and make others decide not to go there because of you opinion kinda sucks. Like the other poster said if you don't like it or the staff stay away. I'm sure with the attitude you've shown about the store here you probably deserved some attitude if you have gotton any.
Also if the employees have been rude to you why don't you speak with the manager about it. The only way the issues can be corrected is if the management knows that there is an issue. I know he will be in the store all day Friday.

*bearded dood posting*

God I should have read this sooner and responded. Just let me start off by saying this, if I have in any way been a douchebag to you, I'm totally sorry for it. I try to be as nice as I can to everyone because it's my job, but I do tend to have off-days or moments.... especially if someone has just gotten done yelling at me over something stupid, or I've been working on an xbox360. god.. I HATE XBOXES!!!!!!! So, If I did treat you badly, I'm sorry and I'd like you to come talk to me about it, I'll be in tomorrow. I always like feedback from the customers so I know what I can do to be a better clerk and make the store the best it can be. Also, don't mind her too terribly much, I agree with some of the stuff she said, but as a collector I can somewhat see where you're coming from.

For the other thing, yes.. I'm guilty of that. Particularly to once again the people that yell at me over idiotic things, or someone being extremely dumb. I -will- make an effort to keep my thoughts to myself, and not let it happen again. Thanks for your input on that.

[quote name='PiROCLA5M']*bearded dood posting*

God I should have read this sooner and responded. Just let me start off by saying this, if I have in any way been a douchebag to you, I'm totally sorry for it. I try to be as nice as I can to everyone because it's my job, but I do tend to have off-days or moments.... especially if someone has just gotten done yelling at me over something stupid, or I've been working on an xbox360. god.. I HATE XBOXES!!!!!!! So, If I did treat you badly, I'm sorry and I'd like you to come talk to me about it, I'll be in tomorrow. I always like feedback from the customers so I know what I can do to be a better clerk and make the store the best it can be. Also, don't mind her too terribly much, I agree with some of the stuff she said, but as a collector I can somewhat see where you're coming from.

For the other thing, yes.. I'm guilty of that. Particularly to once again the people that yell at me over idiotic things, or someone being extremely dumb. I -will- make an effort to keep my thoughts to myself, and not let it happen again. Thanks for your input on that.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate the apology, and the acknowledgment of your behavior, thank you. But I don't think I need to come in and talk to you. Especially considering what I do for a living, I'd prefer to stay anonymous.

Hey guys I have lived here since the summer, in downtown greenville. I do look for any place that sells videogames/dvds whatever.

Pawn shops (Cash America):
Some of them are decent for dvds, but used video games are no better than prices at gamestop.

Video Game Cavern:
The store does have some decent prices for games, it can vary from being less or more than gamestop, but they do have a good selection. As in retro games, the prices are ok but Cmosfm is absolutely right in that the retro games in the glass case have prices that are outragous. SNES Link to the Past for 20, PS1 FF tactics for 30? Yikes.

Dawg Gone Fun Games:
This place has awful prices. They do have a great selection of retro games, but Cmosfm isn't exaggerating when he talks about the prices. When I go to any store, I really look at basically every game, and I know the going rate of a lot of games. The store is out in the middle of nowhere, but no CAG should even bother since their prices are just insane.

Darkside Video Games::applause:
I really like this store. It not only sells video games, but specialty action figures, comics to basically what any nerd would like. The video game prices (games from current to ps2) are decent since they have a buy 1 get 1 half off. Their small snes/64/atari selection is all in a small location that everything there sells for $5 straight up. I have bought games such as Kirby Superstar Saga, Link to the Past, Mario World for only $5. Plus some of the staff are very friendly and knowledgeable.

Family Video:
Cheaper than blockbuster renting dvds/games and sometimes has good sales on games. I know if you re a new member, you get 1/2 all rentals. The amount of games for sale aren't that big and vary from time to time.

Circuit City (Haywood Mall and Woodruff):
Both stores are at 30% dvds, 30% video games, 40% preplayed games, and Woodruff has a better selection that isnt completely picked clean. Still for my cheapass, there wasnt much for me since I only like to spend less than $10 for certain games. I got TMNT for the gba for $8 + tax. But there were a few games discounted that included: No more heroes (preplayed - 8), Nights (preplayed - 6), Phoenix Wright: Justice for All (new - 8). But Im still waiting for more discounts.

Blockbuster (any):
Recently blockbuster has really decent prices on new and used games. I just want another buy1 get 1 sale soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
215 Pelham Rd # B109, Greenville, SC‎ - (864) 271-0095

Its in the Publix shopping center, but its along the street where the light/intersection is.

[quote name='studlyduffman']215 Pelham Rd # B109, Greenville, SC‎ - (864) 271-0095

Its in the Publix shopping center, but its along the street where the light/intersection is.[/QUOTE]

I've never heard of this place, I'll check it out tomorrow! Thanks!

Hey guys, Easley native familiar with the Greenville area.

There's also a Darkside Games of off 153 that organizes tournaments and the like. Really friendly staff and a decent enough clientele from the usual clueless bunch you see at the Gamestop here and off of White Horse Road.

[quote name='ruiner999']Hey guys, Easley native familiar with the Greenville area.

There's also a Darkside Games of off 153 that organizes tournaments and the like. Really friendly staff and a decent enough clientele from the usual clueless bunch you see at the Gamestop here and off of White Horse Road.[/QUOTE]

Got an address?

I went by the one in Greenville, awesome place, picked up an Alucard figure for 16.99. The people there were exceptionally friendly. I wholeheartedly recommend the place. Kinda hard to find though, which is a bummer, I imagine they lose business being in the little hole in the wall they are in.

[quote name='PiROCLA5M']

This here is what pissed me off. First off, it's not nice to talk about someone behind their back. Secondly, it's not nice to talk negatively against someone you do not even know. This in itself shows your own immaturity, especially if you don't try to do anything about it. [/quote]

But wait, isnt this the internet?

And i missed the soap opera drama, darn.:applause:

Oh yea, anyone been the PnT in Colombia. I was able to snag Panzer Dragoon Saga (yes, complete mint copy) for 143 with a 10 precent discount. The guy there had to keep the game in a case in the back.

He also had Bomberman and Dragon Force for Saturn, which i would have no problem snatching up, but Dragon Force wasnt complete selling for 60 something, and Saturn Bomberman was around the same price. The owner seemed pretty cool but i really dont like how they are priced, doesnt really help ebay people out/ getting a good deal on somethings. Its more of a store that has alot of great stuff but its more of a "only benifit is to keep". I did buy other stuff from him that i made some money off of, but its a great store if they happen to have something you might like but wont feel like putting the effort in to going to ebay to buy since its a few bucks cheaper.

I might go back sometime when i have another chance. I also need to check out evans and aiken again too...:bouncy:

I used to live in Aiken and go to school at USC.

I always use to go to the Rhinos in Lexington before it got taken over. Before I moved I usually found almost any and everything I needed at a store in Aiken, whether it was one of the Gamestops or the store in the mall (the name escapes me).

Hmm, this thread has been dead for a while. RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE! On topic though, CaG in Lexington here. Anyone know of any places that I might find PS1 RPGs at? Been jonesing to get a copy of Legend of Dragoon.

[quote name='WickedestChild']Hmm, this thread has been dead for a while. RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE! On topic though, CaG in Lexington here. Anyone know of any places that I might find PS1 RPGs at? Been jonesing to get a copy of Legend of Dragoon.[/QUOTE]

Aside from Software Seconds in Irmo or the small store on Forest Drive (by Fort Jackson) that I've forgotten the name of, I can't think of anywhere.

Ok I went to Video Game Cavern Yesterday to get a RF Adapter for my Sega Genesis cause I found 2 6 button arcade sticks at a thrift store and wanted to bust out the old street fighter. But the guy seemed pissed when I walked in and then I asked if he had any adapters he looked behind him and then said "I don't know maybe on that wall". I looked and they only had one kind and I wasn't sure if it would fit due to it not looking right (I was right it was for a genesis one I have a three) and he didn't have the answer for me even though he was sitting on a laptop. How do places like this survive when they care less for customers. I drove from Easley to Taylors to go to this stupid store and due to lack of intelligent help I have to drive all the way back to return this for "store credit". I should have just ate the time and ordered it online.

[quote name='Voodoo_Lou']Aside from Software Seconds in Irmo or the small store on Forest Drive (by Fort Jackson) that I've forgotten the name of, I can't think of anywhere.[/QUOTE]

I would try Flea Markets. In Anderson there's one called the Jockey Lot and I picked up Legend of Dragoon for $5. It was missing a disk though.

Living in Spartanburg, SC

I just moved here from Michigan and boy am i missing all my stores. I mean a man can only go to 3 different stores so many times...

[quote name='Hyruu']Ok I went to Video Game Cavern Yesterday to get a RF Adapter for my Sega Genesis cause I found 2 6 button arcade sticks at a thrift store and wanted to bust out the old street fighter. But the guy seemed pissed when I walked in and then I asked if he had any adapters he looked behind him and then said "I don't know maybe on that wall". I looked and they only had one kind and I wasn't sure if it would fit due to it not looking right (I was right it was for a genesis one I have a three) and he didn't have the answer for me even though he was sitting on a laptop. How do places like this survive when they care less for customers. I drove from Easley to Taylors to go to this stupid store and due to lack of intelligent help I have to drive all the way back to return this for "store credit". I should have just ate the time and ordered it online.[/QUOTE]

Man, that's a bad experience. I'm from Easley, actually, until I moved to Charlotte about 3 years ago, and I have fond memories of Video Games Cavern. Granted, I knew my stuff enough and never needed to ask for help, but sometimes they had some wonky rare stuff in there that was pretty much as-is, I think. I'm surprised the guy there was so unhelpful.

I do remember going there one time, and I was really surprised at their high prices for import DS games, but beyond that, they had some good deals.

[quote name='Hyruu']Anyone know of a local (Greenville, Pickens) place that would sell a Sega Genesis RF or AV adapter?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='YoungE808']I would try Flea Markets. In Anderson there's one called the Jockey Lot and I picked up Legend of Dragoon for $5. It was missing a disk though.[/QUOTE]

I would second the jockey lot. There's a guy that opens shop out there that's into the retro field, and he'll sell complete bundled retro systems. You'll likely have luck there.

Anderson here...I have yet to go to the Jockey Lot because Im always working when its going on! Oh well. So there are other CAG people in my area! I've had a couple people at Best Buy tell me that they had people in there doing the Blur double coupon deal before I came in to get mine, so I knew at least someone from my area had to be on here.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I would second the jockey lot. There's a guy that opens shop out there that's into the retro field, and he'll sell complete bundled retro systems. You'll likely have luck there.[/QUOTE]

The only problem with the Jockey Lot is that you have to get there EARLY in the day to find anything good. It seems like everything starts shutting down by late morning.

Just noticed this section of the forums... in bluffton,sc. Moved down back in 2005. I live about 20 miles from the georgia border. Typically I have to head to Savannah to find gaming deals, but I found a place in Pooler, GA last week. Empire Comics is the name. Now the selection of comics was pretty mediocre, but where they shined was in older game consoles. Snagged a dreamcast, controller, memory unit and 4 games for 20 bucks. Decent selection of games over various consoles. I would say 175-200 titles in total. Lot of old collectible toys as well.

Heading to columbia next weekend, does anyone know which Target there normally has the best game clearance selection? Thanks

Well, since for whatever reason I've never posted in this.

Hi! I'm in the Georgetown area. A bit outside the city leaving me right around over an hour to Charleston or Myrtle Beach.

Blah, blah. Yep, hiya.

Not from SC but I spend a couple months or more on Hilton Head every year and I'm planning on heading there in a couple weeks, can anyone recommend any decent game stores in the area, anywhere within an hour drive would be awesome. I'm not gonna be there until May and I'll probably spend the majority of the summer there so if anyone could give me a heads up on a good spot with the next few months it would be much appreciated.

Eh, felt like I should finally put my name in the roll call here for SC. Living in Columbia now...lived in the Easley area before.

I maybe moving to the Florance area from Maryland...

...can anyone give me any gaming options in the area

are there any mom and pop video game shops? or am I stuck with GameStop?

Just found this thread and thought I'd post in it. I'm currently living in Columbia as I'm attending grad school, but am from the Myrtle Beach area. I'm going back and forth between the two pretty often.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Greenville here. I can also vouch for Video Games Cavern. Great retro section. Too bad Rhino Games across the street is going to GameStop. I'll visit today. Probably my last visit until they vanish into the corporate vacuum.[/QUOTE]

Greenville here.

I too will vouch for VG Cavern. The only independent game store left around here.

bread's done
Back