Starcraft 2 Collector's Edition $99.99

Darknuke

CAGiversary!
Feedback
31 (100%)
"Make some room in your collection, as Blizzard Entertainment has revealed StarCraft II Collector's Edition, and you're going to want it.

Retailing for $99.99, the collector's edition comes packed with goodies, including:

The Art of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, a 176-page book featuring artwork from the game
An exclusive 2GB USB flash drive replica of Jim Raynor's dog tag, which comes preloaded with the original StarCraft and the StarCraft: Brood War expansion set
A behind-the-scenes DVD containing over an hour of developer interviews, cinematics with director's commentary, and more
The official StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty soundtrack CD, containing 14 epic tracks from the game along with exclusive bonus tracks
StarCraft comic book issue #0, a prequel to the comic series
A World of Warcraft mini Thor in-game pet that can be applied to all World of Warcraft characters on a single Battle.net account
Exclusive Battle.net downloadable content, including special portraits for your Battle.net profile, decals to customize your units in-game, and a visually unique version of the terran Thor unit
If you're not one for all the extras, you can pick up the standard edition, which Blizzard has confirmed will retail for $59.99. Still no release date, but Blizzard says we can expect that information "in the coming weeks.""

http://www.destructoid.com/blizzard-announces-starcraft-ii-collector-s-edition-170358.phtml

Not really a deal per say... But considering blizzard collectors editions have almost ALWAYS sold for over retail after selling out (except WotLK), this might be a good investment. I know I'm getting it purely because I'm a diehard Starcraft fan, but just throwing it out there.

Get it here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZKA0J6/ref=pd_1ctyhuc__sbs_01_01

http://news.bigdownload.com/photos/s...77525/#2877527

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sherisdoppel']Now PC games are priced at $60.
I hope that thing does not affect console game prices to $70.[/QUOTE]

Keep buying these ridiculous "Collector's Editions" and it will...How do you think the industry judges consumer spending...By seeing how few plastic things can be placed into a box along with a game and charging 20% to 40% more.

Sorry, but don't complain about prices rising when you're contributing to the cause (and market studies). I hope that WoW minipet is worth the increased cost in games down the road. :cool:

haha

[quote name='thehoweller']Keep buying these ridiculous "Collector's Editions" and it will...How do you think the industry judges consumer spending...By seeing how few plastic things can be placed into a box along with a game and charging 20% to 40% more.

Sorry, but don't complain about prices rising when you're contributing to the cause (and market studies). I hope that WoW minipet is worth the increased cost in games down the road. :cool:

haha[/QUOTE]

This CE is actually pretty cool IMO, I don't see what "cause" you're contributing to besides encouraging a great developer to continue its work.

[quote name='panzerfaust']This CE is actually pretty cool IMO, I don't see what "cause" you're contributing to besides encouraging a great developer to continue its work.[/QUOTE]

It might be cool, but to complain about rising prices while giving into them is pointless.

And the whole "great developer" comment, I'll restrain my opinion until after they ruin Diablo 3 (which I hope they don't).

[quote name='Sway42']lolactivision

lolblizzard

you know...
back when i was in high school, i LOVED Blizzard and Valve.
Best Dev Team that was around the glorious years of Starcraft, Counter Strike and Warcraft and even beyond those years.

Now, Blizzard is slowly falling down my best dev team..slowly being demoted.

Well, Valve and Gabe Newell, it seems like you are are in my top 1 as of this post. Enjoy being at the bottom blizzard[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they'll miss you.

Everyone does realize that Blizzard charged $59.99 for Warcraft III well before they merged with Activision? Right? RIGHT?

I'll say it again. Blizzard was charging $59.99 for PC games before they merged with Activision.

That said, who the fuck cares? It's Blizzard and this is Starcraft. Consider it bought.

Blizzard != Activision, I don't know why people keep insisting that this is the case. They share a freaking stock, that's it. Activision has no control over what Blizzard does. Sorry, just annoys me that people *constantly* swap the names because Blizzard has decided to do something that is not uncharacteristic for them (hint: see CE for every single Blizzard game since Diablo 2) but people still pretend it is some Kotick-inspired money-grabbing scheme. /mini-rant

Anyways, suppose I will grab this from GameStop. I hate giving them my business but that's going to be the only way to get it same day via a pre-order without paying ridiculous shipping charges I think (wish my Amazon Prime trial was still active :cry:). Wonder if it will sell out as ridiculously fast as the Wrath CE did - I think I went 2 days after they announced that and GameStop was no longer taking pre-orders.

Edit:
[quote name='Ocajavati']Nooot true.

WarCraft III: Reign of Chaos (Collector's Edition) ain't worth shit either.[/QUOTE]

It includes a WoW pet. That's why. People will pay stupid amounts of money for in-game WoW stuff. This is why the WoW CEs are worth so much and the other Blizzard CEs are not.

Ordered it, though I may cancel it. I've yet to open and play the Starcraft Battle Chest I bought last week for $10.

Sounds like an attempt to milk peoples' wallets, again after MW2...

ugh. I LOVED Starcraft 1, but #2 will not be bought for quite a while.

[quote name='thehoweller']Keep buying these ridiculous "Collector's Editions" and it will...How do you think the industry judges consumer spending...By seeing how few plastic things can be placed into a box along with a game and charging 20% to 40% more.

haha[/QUOTE]

The initial prices may have gone up, but it seems (to me anyway) that the speed in which prices go down has been far accelerated. Buying a CE here or there isn't really going to change the current trend (IMO). If anything, the lower than expected sales of some of the recent CEs will probably result in less CEs. [I got the Bioshock 2 CE for $50 a few weeks ago... It was released in February of this year.]

I own all the Blizzard Collector's Editions & still do.

WarCraft III
-$60 or $70 at launch
-Mass produced
-Currently worth squat
-Big ass box (sturdy material)

Diablo II
$70 or $80 when it came out
-Decently produced. They went for quite a bit of change when the game came out. Months afterwards I saw 1 or 2 stragglers inside Electronics Boutique/Software Etc., but that's about it.
-Big ass box (that isn't of the highest quality material)

World of WarCraft
-$70 or $80 when it came out.
-Not too many of these were made. They're worth a lot of money if the CD Key is unused due to the 3 in game pets you receive.
-Preorders sold out way before the game came out.
-Big ass box (sturdier material similar to WCIIICE)

World of WarCraft - The Burning Crusade
-$70 or $80 when it came out
-Way overproduced. You can still get them now.
-Big ass box (exactly the same, but different color (green) than WoW CE)

World of WarCraft - Wrath of the Lich King
-$70 or $80 when it came out
-Way overproduced. You can still get them now.
-Big ass box (exactly the same, but different color (blue) than WoW CE)

StarCraft II Collector's Edition
-Big ass box

Diablo III Collector's Edition
-This thing is inevitable... at least more likely than not
-Prediction: Big ass box

Blizzard Games without Collector's Editions
Diablo
WarCraft I
WarCraft II
WarCraft II: Beyond the dark Portal Expansion
StarCraft
StarCraft: Brood War
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne

Needless to say, I already preordered this on Amazon. Face it, every PC game that Blizzard releases will blow up because it's Blizzard. I think anything Craft or Diablo related in the future will most defniitely have a collector's edition whether it's limited or not. The company's name sells itself so there's always people willing to pay a premium.

Hell BlizzCon (as far as I know) is the only convention that can sell out completely in less than 1 minute... and it's not like there are a lot of Pure Blizzard games out there. WC, SC, Diablo. No one attends it in hopes of checking out a sequel to the dwarves game on Sega Genesis (which rocked by the way).

Also in game items are such a hot seller... as mentioned above, this alone is good enough for some people.

[quote name='KillerRamen']The initial prices may have gone up, but it seems (to me anyway) that the speed in which prices go down has been far accelerated. Buying a CE here or there isn't really going to change the current trend (IMO). If anything, the lower than expected sales of some of the recent CEs will probably result in less CEs. [I got the Bioshock 2 CE for $50 a few weeks ago... It was released in February of this year.][/QUOTE]

I hope this is true, and this trend continues. I do love myself some quickly cheap games...Especially with a backlog of about 40 -.-

[quote name='drumstick']I just hope it doesnt pull a AC2 and require internet connection for single player. If anything stops me from getting it, thats it.

http://kotaku.com/5512576/does-starcraft-ii-require-an-internet-connection[/QUOTE]

I love companies doing this...Then you Google it and you can easily find torrents of cracked versions...Who's punished because companies are greedy? The consumer, not the pirates. But yeah, I honestly doubt Blizzard would be so stupid as to ruin their sales with DRM. Ruining future sales by breaking game balance is more up their road.

[quote name='drumstick']I just hope it doesnt pull a AC2 and require internet connection for single player. If anything stops me from getting it, thats it.

http://kotaku.com/5512576/does-starcraft-ii-require-an-internet-connection[/QUOTE]

What they have said is that there is a one-time online activation required. After that, you get additional features for playing while online (I'm assuming this is stuff like Achievement support, friends list, etc since that's all tied to your Battle.net account), but you can play the single player stuff offline if you want.

[quote name='xycury']I'm going to add it to my Double ECA... get the CE for only 79.99... hopefully amazon marks it down some...[/QUOTE]

This. ;)

This CE seems pretty weak imo. I prefer them to have either some sort of usable in game content, or something physical. Already have starcraft + brood wars and i dont play wow. But i guess ill get it for the art book and the fact that its starcraft.

So very tempted by the CE, but forty bucks is a lot of bucks extra for what's offered. The real draw for me is the WoW pet. Anyone planning on getting the CE don't want theirs, and willing to work out some kind of deal?

[quote name='drumstick']This CE seems pretty weak imo. I prefer them to have either some sort of usable in game content, or something physical. Already have starcraft + brood wars and i dont play wow. But i guess ill get it for the art book and the fact that its starcraft.[/QUOTE]

Usable in game content just isn't feasible for a game like this. They'd have to withhold a game mode or maps to the public and only include them in the CE, which is ethically nebulous. The game isn't like a lot of first person shooters where you can level up and unlock stuff online, so it really just wouldn't work.

As for more physical content, I'd be all for that, though I can't really think of what I'd want from the Starcraft universe. No figures.

[quote name='Salamando3000']So very tempted by the CE, but forty bucks is a lot of bucks extra for what's offered. The real draw for me is the WoW pet. Anyone planning on getting the CE don't want theirs, and willing to work out some kind of deal?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I doubt anyone would part with that for a low cost. The WoW pet is the thing most likely to go up in value.

[quote name='Salamando3000']So very tempted by the CE, but forty bucks is a lot of bucks extra for what's offered. The real draw for me is the WoW pet. Anyone planning on getting the CE don't want theirs, and willing to work out some kind of deal?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, that's probably the most valuable thing in there.

[quote name='drumstick']This CE seems pretty weak imo. I prefer them to have either some sort of usable in game content, or something physical. Already have starcraft + brood wars and i dont play wow. But i guess ill get it for the art book and the fact that its starcraft.[/QUOTE]
Missed the part about the decals you can use to decorate your units? ;)

Anyway, I'm not a fan of in-game content for a CE for fairness reasons (whether outright or timed release.)

It does include this:
Exclusive Battle.net downloadable content, including special portraits for your Battle.net profile, decals to customize your units in-game, and a visually unique version of the terran Thor unit

[quote name='philmcfly']Unfortunately, that's probably the most valuable thing in there.[/QUOTE]

Shhh. Don't tell people that. Was hoping to get a jump on someone that didn't know it's true value.

The biggest joke is the fact that they are charging $59.99 for the STANDARD EDITION PC GAME. These games should be $50 at the most. It makes more sense to buy the collector's edition and sell all the content and you'd save more than if you bought just the standard edition. In that case, in for three.

Boy, I'm sure glad we've never had a big fapabout over game prices before, and saved all our discussion for this thread about it. I was beginning to worry we'd never ever address the issues of what is and what is not acceptable MSRP for digital entertainment.

Everybody whined when next gen games were priced at $10 more for $60.. now it's the norm. Just a matter of time 'till everyone stops complaining about PC games at $60, lol.

Anyway, I'll be grabbing this. I'm such a huge fan, how can I not? XD

[quote name='Thorgouge']The biggest joke is the fact that they are charging $59.99 for the STANDARD EDITION PC GAME. These games should be $50 at the most. It makes more sense to buy the collector's edition and sell all the content and you'd save more than if you bought just the standard edition. In that case, in for three.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. $60 for Starcraft 2!? LOL

I'll finish this game in a weekend.

Wake me up when God of War IV comes out.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Totally agree. $60 for Starcraft 2!? LOL

Wake me up when God of War IV comes out.[/QUOTE]

Which will be finished in under a week, with no online to go back and play later.

I don't understand the bitching about PC games costing as much as console anymore... entitlement, maybe?

^I got platinum in 16 hours and I could of done it in half the time but I did two playthroughs.

I see what you did there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked one up for nostalgia purposes and the possibility, even if it's small, of it selling out and becoming rare.

My favorite RTS of all time, Still remember a few years back when they announced they were gonna be making a Starcraft 2 I was so excited and watched the marine trailer like 10 times that day. Present day after following its details for about a year after it was announced I got tired of waiting for a release date. Still no release date... It's funny I was talking to a friend a few months ago how we used to play Starcraft as teens and had so much fun and we joked about if we would even hear a release date before we died of old age.

Na, $60 for console games is fucked up too. I guess I'm wrong because it makes more sense to charge the 60 for sc2 where the replay value is infinite with online play, while every console game I've played, with the exception of MW2 (lasted 2 months) only lasted a few days to a week of me wanting to play and having fun doing so. And to the guy saying he'll be done with sc2 in a weekend, who in their right fucking mind buys a RTS game just to play the campaign? Are you retarded?

look, make a sentence out of those in bold and what do you get

Ack, Amazon Prime must have fallen off recently from the 3 month free dealy...

I imagine there isn't another trick to getting a free trial on an existing account? I'd love to order this with 2 day/release day shipping.

Ugh, I preordered the regular SC2 for $50 like a month ago, now I've also got the CE on preorder...which one to cancel...hmm

Lol I'm actually buying 2 copies of SC2, one standard, one CE. I'm opening the standard and keeping the CE NIB until I find out if the market price raises or not. I'd actually prefer it went down so I had an excuse to open it, but the collector in me screams otherwise. I always buy 2 copies of Blizz games in the long run anyway (for me and the inevitable friend that doesn't wanna buy it initially). Plus, my sisters a bigger SC nerd than me, but I know for a fact she won't buy it at release because she's pretty much mentally retarded when it comes to VG shopping.

This was a no brainer. $60 for this game is more then worth it. With some of the garbage games out on the consoles, that many have paid $60, this title backs up it's worth 2x over.

[quote name='ItzTitoYo']This was a no brainer. $60 for this game is more then worth it. With some of the garbage games out on the consoles, that many have paid $60, this title backs up it's worth 2x over.[/QUOTE]

agreed. I'd pay $100 for this game with nothing more than the bare bones... Starcraft is THAT fun to me...

I'm not that big into RTS games. But I have never had as much fun getting my ass handed to me as I did in Starcraft. I'm tempted to get the CE of this.

[quote name='Vekou']Cool. I'll buy this and sell the WoW pet, hopefully making some of the cost back.[/QUOTE]
I bet that WoW pet will sell for alot. "Special" items in WoW that are not easy (Without paying) to get are like crack to them.

[quote name='InFlames215']I'm not that big into RTS games. But I have never had as much fun getting my ass handed to me as I did in Starcraft. I'm tempted to get the CE of this.[/QUOTE]

You know... I felt the same way in my early years of SC1 (aka from like 98-03). During that time, I played custom games and custom games ONLY. I can't imagine how amazing the custom games will be for SC2, especially considering blizz is offering companies a chance to sell their maps and therefore allow for bigger budget use map settings levels. There is supposed to even be a custom model creator (or maybe they just allow you to import your own). If you don't like the RTS aspects of SC2, the custom maps will still draw you in for sure

bread's done
Back