Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void

Firebats show up in TvZ. You want a useless unit, you talk about the scout. fuck that thing. I'd rather have a mothership.

I should say that another big point against SC2 carriers was the change to how they controlled - running away while the interceptors are out just ain't the same.

Kain: Apparently, the shredder in its current state is one of the most powerful things around, at least in TvZ. Like, fucks up everything zerg has.

[quote name='The Crotch']Firebats show up in TvZ. You want a useless unit, you talk about the scout. fuck that thing. I'd rather have a mothership.

I should say that another big point against SC2 carriers was the change to how they controlled - running away while the interceptors are out just ain't the same.

Kain: Apparently, the shredder in its current state is one of the most powerful things around, at least in TvZ. Like, fucks up everything zerg has.[/QUOTE]

Scouts had niche uses in vanilla star craft at least... Corsairs completely stepped on their usefulness - less expensive, more DPS, splash damage.

I still stand by SC2's carrier being good enough to keep around.

Hmm. I've been thinking some more, and I was a bit too harsh on the new protoss units. Well, the oracle at least. fuck the replicator. I can't see that thing making it.

My... displeasure... with the oracle isn't the oracle's fault. Preordain (see what a building is making) looks like the most useless spell ever, sure. The mineral block spell looks a little weak at the moment, but that can be adjusted over time, and the building stasis thing looks powerful as a motherfucker. The oracle itself is supposed to be phoenix-level fast and very fragile. So I could see using it, and I could see enjoying using it.

The reason I hated it for a while at first really has nothing to do with it. Blizzard has the conflicting goals of adding a mid-game harass unit for protoss and not adding deathball-worthy units or units that kill workers. So they gave us a mid-game harasser with zero combat utility. Which... you know, we badly needed a good mid-game harass unit, and this looks like it could be a powerful one, it's just a bit of a piss-off that the other races have harassers that can also fight (hellions, banshees, infantry drops, lings, mutas, etc.) and because of that we get a harasser than can only harass.

And of course, terrans get the shredder which can evaporate mineral lines. But the setup time on that can be tweaked, so I'm not too worried about losing probes to it.

The tempest... eh... it's not the ideal answer. I really think we should just get corsairs back. Not because phoenixes are bad, necessarily; they're the most micro-intensive unit we have, and they can be fun to use. But corsairs do the work of both phoenixes and this new unit all at once. As it stands, we have two units designed specifically to counter mutas - one that doesn't work in mass battles, and one that's too big and slow to catch them.

Also, fuck the replicator.

[quote name='The Crotch']You want a useless unit, you talk about the scout. fuck that thing.[/QUOTE]
there was a game where kal used them to survive a 2fact 1 base timing attack and win outright. so fresh.

if corsairs come back, they're not coming back in the form of BW with moving shot anyway so i would be skeptical of asking for old units

anyway i'm here because this makes me sad
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=280168

[quote name='kainzero']
anyway i'm here because this makes me sad
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=280168[/QUOTE]

On the one hand, I can see how the shift from BW to SC2 could make the some feel how Football fans would if the NFL replaced the ball with a giant dildo at the start of the 2012 season.

On the other, the tech behind BW is pretty old and from a technology perspective, SC2 is a better game: Better graphics, better general mechanics and controls - it's a better game for watching. The shift isn't about which is the better game from a strategy standpoint, it's about what people will want to watch since pro gaming is a business in the same way the NFL is a business; if it started losing money because people decided they want to see players throwing aerodynamic dildos around instead of footballs, the NFL might make a change to the rules to appeal to the fanbase and reverse the decline in interest.

Then again, the XFL tried to play to demographics and look where that ended up. Perhaps fans of e-sports are more fickle than football fans?

[quote name='BattleChicken']On the other, the tech behind BW is pretty old and from a technology perspective, SC2 is a better game: Better graphics, better general mechanics and controls - it's a better game for watching.[/quote]
i disagree.
the only technology perspective i see is compatibility, which i think will only get tougher.

but...
better graphics: i find BWs graphics to have more clarity. when a big battle happens in SC2, i just see a shit ton of explosions and i don't know what's going on and then it's all over and someone ggs. when i watch a big battle in BW, i know exactly what's going on, i know who's dying, who's firing, what spells are being cast and why.
better mechanics and controls: from a fan perspective, this doesn't matter. sure you might have trouble pushing 20 goons up a ramp, but since you're just watching you don't ever have to practice this.
the other way to look at it is that it makes things exciting when people pull off things hard to do. watching carpet storms in SC2 is boring because it's so common and easy; watching carpet storms in BW is exciting because it's difficult and not as common.
(it's also not difficult just for the sake of being difficult, but the difficulty of it is part of the balance.)

[quote name='kainzero']
but...
better graphics: i find BWs graphics to have more clarity. when a big battle happens in SC2, i just see a shit ton of explosions and i don't know what's going on and then it's all over and someone ggs. when i watch a big battle in BW, i know exactly what's going on, i know who's dying, who's firing, what spells are being cast and why.
better mechanics and controls: from a fan perspective, this doesn't matter. sure you might have trouble pushing 20 goons up a ramp, but since you're just watching you don't ever have to practice this.
the other way to look at it is that it makes things exciting when people pull off things hard to do. watching carpet storms in SC2 is boring because it's so common and easy; watching carpet storms in BW is exciting because it's difficult and not as common.
(it's also not difficult just for the sake of being difficult, but the difficulty of it is part of the balance.)[/QUOTE]
It's a mixed bag, really. The tabs, for example - some people like them, some people think they kill suspense. A lot of the "I can't tell what's happening" subsides as you get used to the game, but I still can not tell what the fuck any time 4+ colossii get going, which is pretty bad given that they're arguably the best unit in my army. And War of the Worlds PvP? fuck, you can't even see the battlefield or what's being hit or... anything that's not a colossus or a colossus laser.

Faded team colours, especially on zerg, and the degree to which small units clump up also make things a little less clear for spectators.

At least I can see my own fucking observers now.

[quote name='The Crotch']The tabs, for example - some people like them, some people think they kill suspense. [/quote]
I think the tabs are such a pointless issue. I can't believe people are arguing about that.

[quote name='kainzero']I think the tabs are such a pointless issue. I can't believe people are arguing about that.[/QUOTE]

well for me it was an issue since beta. sc2 games were kind of boring to watch cause you can see everything and nothing was a surprise.

moral of the story is: BW > SC2

:D

[quote name='kainzero']
(it's also not difficult just for the sake of being difficult, but the difficulty of it is part of the balance.)[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I thought about the graphics issue too and although part of it also is probably that I am more familiar with the units and spells of BW, the older graphics also does make everything more clear. The units stand out from the backgrounds more clearly, and the game as a whole seems more colorful (probably because no matter what map you play on, if there's zerg it all looks the same: creep everywhere).

[quote name='Oktoberfest']well for me it was an issue since beta. sc2 games were kind of boring to watch cause you can see everything and nothing was a surprise.

moral of the story is: BW > SC2

:D[/QUOTE]
i dunno, i mean for the osl finals you could see that jangbi was down by like 50 food.
i don't think the surprise comes from the tabs =)

[quote name='Ruahrc']I agree with this. I thought about the graphics issue too and although part of it also is probably that I am more familiar with the units and spells of BW, the older graphics also does make everything more clear. The units stand out from the backgrounds more clearly, and the game as a whole seems more colorful (probably because no matter what map you play on, if there's zerg it all looks the same: creep everywhere).[/QUOTE]
Some blame can go to the mapmakers, too, for all using the same fucking tilesets.

There's a desert tileset too, ya bastards.

MLG Providence is running a dual-stream tournament. I actually just watched an interesting ZvZ.

So much for me getting in on the Desert Bus auction tonight.

Hey everyone!

I love me some SC2! I also have been working with some guys in the Penny Arcade forums on a charity event called Rumble in the Bronze. You may have have heard about it if you listen to State of the Game. Pro gamer/caster iNcontrol is going to be commentating (abusing) our bronze level players for your viewing entertainment.

I've included information about the event below (spoilered for FRIGGIN' HUGE):

That's right ladies and gentlemen, we're jumping in the time-traveling Hellorean and to take you back to the Bronze League! The fine folks of the Penny-Arcade forums have gathered together again to bring to you all:

JTA9z.jpg

3ZMev.jpg

The Rumble in the Bronze: Throwdown in Tinseltown!

Hey everyone! Do you like Starcraft 2? Do you like being entertained? Do you like helping out sick children? Well then, I've got exactly what you need. Welcome to the second showing of The Rumble in the Bronze!

What the heck is the RitB? Basically, a bunch of talented guys from the Penny Arcade forums and I decided on a whim to hold a charity event with the proceeds going to the Penny Arcade Child's Play charity. We somehow got a professional announcer and player, Geoff "iNcontrol" Robinson, to cast the event. The hook was that all the players in the event would be bronze league level. For those of you who don't know, the Bronze League is the lowest level of Starcraft players.

The results were amazing! We ended up having several thousand people watch the stream and generated over $3,000. This year we are doing it again and got Geoff to cast once again. People really loved watching bad players go at it with Geoff making jokes at their expense. Personally I think we can reach $5,000 if everyone gets out there and really helps spread the word.

The event takes place Saturday December 10th, 2011 at 6:00 EST. The stream will have an hour long pre-show. An encore presentation will probably occur as long as the fans are still wanting more.

Commentary will once again provided by Geoff "iNcontrol" Robinson and the PA forums very own Shawn "Seguer" Murphy. All proceeds from the event will go to Child's Play charity. More details about match types, players, streams, and other surprises to come.

Our first mention on Inside the Game (at the 1:44:00 or so mark).

Our first mention on State of the Game (at the 2:20:00 mark).

Our event just got highlighted on arcticnova.org. Read the article here.

Did you miss out on last year's event? No problem, here are some links to the VODs: Part One, Part Two. Even better, you can check out our old promotional videos to give you a good idea of what to expect (spoilered for lots):

So please join us in making fun of players who are going to risk shame and ridicule for donations. If you enjoy what you see, please donate. It's for a great cause after all. I mean, who wouldn't want sick children to enjoy video games? If you can't afford to pitch in, please pass along the event via word of mouth, other forums, facebook, twitter, or whatever way you can.

For information about Child's Play, you can visit the official site or watch this video showing some behind-the-scenes stuff.

Like us Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and visit our website for more details:

Facebook page!
Twitter feed!
Official website

Remember, it's all for the children!

Hope to see you guys there and spread the word if you don't mind.

Incontrol Vs 4 bronze-leaguers was probably the best bit. Too bad they couldn't get the "royal rumble"-esque custom to work.

EDIT: Actually, the best bit was the one where Seguer said my name. fuck all the other bits.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been a while, but there's a new patch coming soonish. Range upgrade for phoenixes at the fleet beacon, snipe changed from 45 damange to 25 +25 against psionic (mass ghosts basically instagibbed brood lords and ultras before), and MULEs now harvest gold minerals at the same rate they do regular patches.

is the mule thing an upgrade or a downgrade? Ghosts keep getting nerfed, but it isn't THAT severe... they're not nearly as useful against marines, lings, or zels though.

I found snipe to be useful when someone low teched when I went BattleChicken strategy: "Alabama Ghost Rape". I usually save my ghost energy for cloak and EMP.

Mule change is a downgrade on gold minerals.

The ghost nerf is kinda lame. I'd rather see it something like "45 (-15 to Massive)" or something. Butfuckwhatever.

[quote name='crystalklear64']i haven't play this for forever because i don't know how to effectively play 3v3 which is all i play.

top secret tips?[/QUOTE]

1. Find 2 teammates.
2. Learn cheesy/aggresive builds.
3. Just have fun,team matches are imba, lul.

[quote name='crystalklear64']i haven't play this for forever because i don't know how to effectively play 3v3 which is all i play.

top secret tips?[/QUOTE]

stop trying and just have fun because the outcome of 3v3, 4v4, and to an extent 2v2 games are typically decided on what races both teams are (and often times what the map is as well), assuming the players know what they are doing.

Team games are all about who can rush first, nothing more. If you don't apply pressure and let one of your opponents go carriers+mothership/battlecruisers/brood lords you lose.

[quote name='BattleChicken']Judging from the crickets, there's either a new thread or nobody plays anymore.[/QUOTE]

I actually just got a PC and this is one of the games I picked up. I'd be willing to play but I'm obviously a noob and from what I hear I'd just get destroyed but I'd give it a try. My battle.net is Frankysox

i still play but its pretty much exclusively with 2 friends and its always 3v3 or 4v4 (we hope the extra guy can carry us)
i do not think i've played a single 1v1 game of sc2.

i did find a set of rules that has helped me a lot you can just google for the specifics if anyone cares but its basically:
1. Always be building workers.
2. Never get supply blocked.
3. Never have money (spend your shit on anything as soon as you get it)
4. Get an expansion.

Often times in the middle of a game I'll forget what I was doing or suddenly have no idea what to do (ok I made it through 5 mins without dying or the other team losing... wtf do I do now?). These rules make it so I'm not a completely useless teammate. Just mostly useless.

Never saw this thread before...but i just recently got into diamond :D.
Playing a lot more League of Legends now though, because its definitely less stressful and more fun (playing with friends, not 1v1, etc.).
Also, why isn't this thread as active as the LoL thread :(...CAG needs more SC2ers :D

I put a lot of time into mostly 3v3 last winter. I made it up to Silver by getting really good at making a lot of void rays and then having my teammates tell me where to point them.

So yeah, I'm basically still noob level, and I'd be willing to get into some games with CAGs and not the average riff raff.

Battle.net id is JayLu#1792

I did alright the first season, then took massive hiatuses seasons 2 and 3. I mean, current season ends in like a week or two right and I just started playing late last week.

Anyway, my battle.net info is in the first post of the thread - add me and I'll play with you; I don't care if you're bronze or diamond, i have more fun when I'm playing non-random games.

I just got into the HOTS beta. I've been playing the last hour or so and got a chance to play around with the new units for tos and terran.

My favorite new unit is the battle hellion; battle hellion gives terran a viable defense against mass zealots and zerglings, which I felt terran was pretty vulnerable to until terran had a critical mass level of units. It also makes the reactor upgrade WAY more useful than it was before.

Oracle is fun but i feel the tempest isn't worth the investment.. though I haven't had a chance to try and use it as a harassment unit yet... a carrier is cheaper and has more utility... why build a tempest instead of two voids or three phoenix?

Is this game similar to Warcraft 3? (I absolutely LOVE warcraft 3) I heard starcraft in general was more macromanagement than micro. If it's not too similar, I might just wait for warcraft 4, when it releases 20 years from now

I didn't even notice that the battle Hellion was bio. I don't know that it bothers me. the battle helilion is designed to kill light melee range units, primsrily speedlings, zealot, and dt. it kind of makes sense and zerg needs to be able to deal with them using banes considering the unit eats zeglings. Additionally, beng bio rather than mech makes it weak to archon and strojg aganst immkrtal, which i think is about right.

now, if you mean medivacs can heal battle hellion, that seems like a bug.

tos only needs to worry about battle hellion for dts and zels, so mechanical won't help there. basically, light gives the battle hellion the appropriate weaknesses it needs for t v z lay.

one tng i noticd about hots is thst i suddenly suck agan at managing my resources... i'm feeling like the econ is shifted a little bit...

anyway. best new feature? peon unis auto mine at game start. i think that fixes a problem that needed to be fixed. if someone had a bit of lag launching or their mouse was n the wrong placr when the game started, that could cost a fee seconds. it evens the laying field for people with old hardware and internet weirdness. it's a good addition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being bio doesn't change anything against the immortal. It's the "armored" modifier that makes you immortal fodder. And part of being biological means that medivacs can heal you, yes.

As for the auto-mine, I think a five-ten second warm-up period would have been a lot less controversial.

EDIT: And to Cfw... not... really. Have you played Brood War?

i've been playing torchlight 2 since that came out so i'm not doing as much SC2 beta-ing.. I'll get back to it pretty soon though. Maybe I'll get a few games in today...

Anyway.. Torchlight 2 is fun.

I have SC2, haven't played in a while but would like to, I used to be pretty good, was in Gold/Plat for a bit when I did play team games, I loved cannon rushing, not sure if people are still susceptible to it though since I haven't played in a while.

My tag should be Hustletron#739

bread's done
Back